Masters Running

not so weekly, weekly newbies 4/14 (Read 383 times)

Me

Hey everyone! I figured that since I've been gone a little while, I would just start a new thread. the other one was two weeks old any way. I plan on going back and catching up later tonight, but for now, Hey Everyone. I ran a couple of times last week with no pain. I kept it to 2.5 miles. So, this week i'm going to move up to 3. Woo Hoo! I volunteered at the Glass City Marathon yesterday. 32 degrees, rain and snow and windy. Plus, since the race is not promoted at all to the people of Toledo, there were absolutely no spectators. How sad. Talk to you later, Mike
      Hi, Mike, Was thinking about you on my run yesterday (really) and today you drop in to say hi. If only I could earn a living from my not-so-reliable clairvoyance! Glad to hear you're running pain-free. Awesome that you volunteered at the marathon. Volunteering at a race is still an unfinished item on my to-do list for this year. I'm thinking of helping with the Back on My Feet 24 hour relay in Philly in July. I'd like to run the first loop - 8.2 miles - at midnight and then hang around to volunteer for a while. It might be raining, but it sure won't be 32 degrees in Philly in July! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Good morning Everyone, Eliz, it sounds like you are doing great. Congratulations. I'll bet you are excited about summer getting here soon. Rinda, Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It sounds like you are still able to stay active though. Kevin, Sorry about the shins. Those types of injuries can be so frustrating. I'm glad you are still able to run. Deb, thanks Laurie, What happened to your daughter? Is she picking a different sport? btb, good luck in Boston. What is the name of the charity you are running for? Roberta and Teresa, Hello, I'll fill you in a little on one of the big things that has been going on. I interviewed for a job in SE Tennessee a week and a half ago. I think the interview went well and I hope they were impressed. Anyway, I feel pretty confident that I'll get the job. So, I'm waiting for them to make an offer (fingers crossed). Then, I may be moving to Tennessee. 3 miles this morning. (yay) Cheers Mike
        dg.

mini reply. Yay!!! hi Mike!
          lswife

Yay, Mike! Friends of ours moved to Knoxville, TN, a few years ago from the cold Midwest and love it there: milder weather, scenery (not flat), friendly people. Hope the job works out.
            dg.

Laurie, how cool you get to go to Boston! I wanted to do that too, but it didn't work out. How are you? .... back to normal?? Wink Eliz I'm glad you're being careful. I know I overdo that, I'm sorry. wtg passing that bunny Big grin. I hope you find a job you like. Linda, I really will send those pages soon. monday I forgot the book. today I forgot to copy it. tomorrow, I get one more chance. You are probably right... the slow & easy should help the hr. maybe being nice to my heart is similar to you being nice to your bronchials. hey! we're kind of like a team, teaching by example. you set a good example, while I'll illustrate what not to do. Wink. woohoo you got outside. ok, that makes sense re your doctor, but for some reason it isn't what I remember. good chance you might be right, though. ;-). do you like your new one? roberta, did you have your appt. yet? Mike, welcome back. thanks for starting us. I'm happy you're running & not hurting. nice you volunteered for that race. I think I will again for one that comes up here in a couple of weeks. very best of luck to you re your job. it sounds pretty exciting. any idea how long it would be till you moved there? I went to the gym yesterday again. now that they finally have equipment I can use, I also can use the track for long enough to make it worthwhile. so I don't even want to look at the ellipticals. etc. rotten timing, eh? I did 3.44 miles, I think... Linda, I don't look till I'm done, I'm mainly going by feel. that includes walking, warmup & everything. just whatever I can cover. I'm not really logging either, but do have it stored on polar's site. I want to start logging the pilates etc, to keep better track of all that. but I digress. I was going to yell at linda for going too fast, but yesterday when I was just about done I decided to up the pace for a bit & got up to 7:44. too fast for me right now, hr was 188. but it was SO much fun. the good thing is I don't think it hurt my hamstrings. a few weeks ago it would have. I know that's not fast for a lot of people, but I still liked it. not much today, kind of sick. but i'll go again in the morning. Hi Teresa. are you back? congrats on your 5K, how great. Jem, I miss you. Kevin, keep talking through this rehab, if you have time. i think it's good for us to see each other persevere.
              Rindaroo

Deb - 7:44 pace IS a fast pace.... no way, no how my outside running was anywhere near that pace... I'm just saying Big grin When I say slow & easy, okay we're talking 12-14 min pace, actually on the treadmill more like 15 min pace, but it still works & it really is a lot better for you, if you're having issues (like HR problems or bronchials let's say) again, I learned this stuff because I had to in order to get better. Oh & thanks re: the exercises, no problem on however long it takes, I just appreciate the effort Smile This morning I was a baby & didn't go to the gym... it snowed a couple of inches last night & with the hurt shoulder/arm & all, I didn't think it was a good idea to drive on the icy roads in the dark.. oh & btw, it was in the 80's this weekend. geez!! maybe tonight on the treadmill, or tomorrow morning. I start PT tomorrow. Hi Mike!!! yay on getting some running in!
                Rindaroo

Okay I'm back.. did the 8/3 runwalk 3 times tonight on my treadmill at home.. it was a little tougher, but then it is a new week, mornings actually seem easier, and I think I've been fighting a cold.. so I guess it went pretty well considering Smile
                    Hi all. Mike, sounds good. Youre running again. What type of work is it? I hope you get the job offer. Kim is back to running. Her PT ended last week. She's on an adult softball team and getting ready for the duathlon with me later this month. Or were you asking about the other kid? lol Eliz, no band trips this year? Kim is going to Canada with her band next month. This is how her concert went last night. Elementary school 1 song, middle school 2 songs, high school 2 songs, combined band 1 song. Not too bad for the whole town to perform. But the high school should be getting more complex music by now. deb, 7:44 is blazing fast! Words from my physical therapist...warm up, stretch, run easy and then pick up the pace and then stretch again. Glad to hear youre running too. I dont log a thing. Too much work. Linda, hows the breathing? I am a very frustrated runner. Ran 3 trail miles yesterday. It was my old park routine that was a piece of cake last year. This year the first hill nearly killed me. But I kept on running. I made it through 3 laps of speed work. Had to job the 4th. I have to remind myself that I am still recovering from an injury. Its frustrating. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

lswife

The people at the weekly fun run are encouraging, the weather has been nicer, and now the third week in a row I've bettered my time. It's only by a few seconds, but it's still progress as someone here told me. Yep, I went again to the podiatrist who referred me to physical therapy. He said that since I have the same pain after two rounds of anti-inflammatory meds, a cortisone shot, shoe inserts, and home exercises, that "aggressive" therapy is next. He sounded confident that I would soon be in less pain, and so did the therapist when I went. During the evaluation, the therapist said I have been favoring my left foot so much that all the way up to my hip has been affected. Now I've got many more exercises to do here at home to loosen up my hip, plus instructions to avoid running/walking for at least a week. I'm to get into a pool (at the Y) to run - same endurance building but no strain on my left foot and leg and hip. Evidently . . . the original plantar fasciitis could have been caused by too old of running shoes among other things . . . like my trying to increase my speed. Undecided The therapist seemed pretty confident that I could still run in the Indy mini-marathon's 5K although he said I may have to walk more than I want. Oh well. Therapy is 3x a week for a few weeks. And, once my foot is on the way to healing, he said he'd put me on the treadmill there and give me some running pointers. PS - From past therapy, I'm concerned that "aggressive therapy" is code for semi-torture. Wink Roberta
                      btb1490

Quote from Laurie:
                        Btb, good luck next week! I will be there with kids and friend.
                        Hi Laurie! I'm glad you're gonna get to go watch! Can you send me an email (click on my profile info, it's in there) and let me know where you'll be? It would be great to say HI to you out on the course!
                        btb, good luck in Boston. What is the name of the charity you are running for?
                        Mr White, again welcome back! Good to hear you are running again! I'm running for Children's Hospital of Boston, and specifically for a patient there named Amy, who was born with a severe heart defect. She's had 3 open heart surgeries already and is only 3 years old. There is a link at the bottom of my post that you can click on that tells you more about Amy. I can't wait to meet her and her family this weekend! Thank you for asking! Smile Eliz, Rindaroo, dg, lswife, Stumpy, Teresa... HI!!! I miss you all and hope everyone is well! Smile

Me

Good Morning Everyone, Deb, It sounds like you are running again. Yay. Now I'll dispense some of your advice back to you. Take it easy. Pullease. Laurie, I kind of feel like I'm starting over again too. I want to go for a nice long run, but I can't. My recent 3 milers are a strain. The job in TN is Emergency Preparedness at a nuclear power plant. I took the job that I currently have with the hope that it would help me get back into a nuclear power plant. This job would be right in line with what I do now for the State of Ohio, and would be what I did at the local nuke plant before I left 10 years ago. Roberta, I'm sorry to hear about your entry to the Disabled List. There sure is no shortage of experience with that here. Rinda, Hope the cold is better. I'm glad that you are still able to be active. I would think a cold would agrivate the bronchials. BTB, I looked at the link and your post on the issue. Wow! What a great story. She sounds like a real fighter, and worthy of your effort. I'll be waiting to hear how it goes. Good luck. I ran 3.5 miles this morning. I was supposed to run 3 and forgot to stop. Oh well. I got so caught up in what was running through my head. cheers Mike
                          dg.

Linda, 80's then snow? Confused. the 7:44 was just for a minute... so it doesn't count for too much, though I was very happy to be able to do it. wasn't trying to go my fastest, just to let go for a minute. but i really shouldn't do it right now. i do know I have to go slower & easier overall, or come up with a plan that keeps my hr lower .... oh. yeah. you showed me one. deep sigh. it's really hard, isn't it? patience patience. maybe if it's lower overall, i could still throw in at least mini striders w/out danger. dtoce says you can do that even during base training, if I remember right. Laurie, thanks for the advice from your pt. I do think a log is worth the trouble, i've been reviewing my old one & really did learn a lot from it. e.g. both times I really crashed... the heart stuff & the hammies, there were clear warnings. it amazes me now that I continued as I did. I think that the process of writing it down at least could help us see where we're headed & make changes. or if nothing else, show us what not to do the next time. i also want to keep better track of what i'm doing. but you're right, it's a lot of work. i know exactly what you mean, you have to keep reminding yourself that you're recovering. it's so easy to forget when you're feeling better. so sorry you're frustrated!! wtg making it through. and for skipping the 4th. Roberta, "aggressive therapy" Shocked! your therapist does sound really good, though. good luck. also sounds like it's going to take a lot of patience on your part. I hope you can run again pretty soon, it should make it easier to tolerate the whole process. Hi Bob! another gym/track trip yesterday, walk + run was 3.95 miles. i kept it slower, but was still too fast. i'm trying to always ice after exercising, even if I don't immediately hurt. I took it with me & iced on the way home! Am sitting on some now, I did 2 yoga dvd's this morning (just 20 min. a piece). Kevin, how's your shin? how's your biking? 'morning to everybody else.
                            Rindaroo

Hey all! The breathing, well the last few days have been a little worse due to something.... a cold maybe, I've been extremely tired in the evenings falling asleep on the couch (which is so unlike me), DD had a nasty cold, with respiratory infection, so does my boss & others at work. I am really try hard not to "full on" get it. I increased my meds to everyday now, because I've had a massive headache ( a big sign the oxygen isn't as high as before). It has been colder at night again too, and I need to check the dust in my bedroom again... so this morning I was set to go to the gym, but when I woke up I felt horrible so went back to sleep.. seriously I think this morning's problem was dust, so will fix that today. This is just a pain in the rear, grrrr... Boy it seems like a lot of PT is going around here! Roberta - hope it works for you quickly!! I had my first PT visit yesterday, where they do the eval. It turns out my neck is involved.. in fact when he pushed on my 3rd & 4th cervical vertbrae, it sent tingling down to fingers on both hands!! but much worse on my left side. He says the muscles around my shoulder, & arm are weak - probably due to protecting the shoulder from the pain... so one has to wonder if its really the neck, and the shoulder took the brunt of the pain when it triggered the bursitis. He confirmed what weight machine did it - just like I thought... lat machine, behind my head (which help builds the muscle for my other shoulder,BUT I guess is extremely hard on your neck & shoulders). So, he showed me a way to do it in front that really gives about the same effect as doing it in the back (but much safer). So, I have a bunch of visits scheduled & he's starting out with very, small, small movements. Oh & did my xray yesterday too. Deb - you're just lucky, I don't live near you!! Wink No, you shouldn't be doing the 7:44 even for a minute, & stop worrying about striders!!!! I know its hard, and sometimes feel like you're not doing much, but slow & easy is the way to go for you. trust me..... Mike - sounds like the job would be perfect for what you want to do!! btb - a great cause you're running for Smile Okay I'm late, gotta jet!!
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, again! I'm finally getting back to the real world after my trip to Texas. My running partner and I managed to run 26.2 miles while we were down there! I was surprised when I added up all the miles. Central Texas is pretty hilly, so we got some good hill work in. My friend was surprised to learn that Texas isn't all flat! Today I intended to run 9.5 miles, which would have been a record, but I made it 8 miles when I had to walk a little. I managed another mile for a total of 9.0. I was a little disappointed, because that's the first time I've had to walk any since early December, but I'll just keep trying! I'm still ahead of schedule to reach my mileage for the September HM. Last week was pretty exhausting, with all the wakling, running, and eating, so that probably has something to do with my difficulty today. Oh, my 5k in Austin went great - 30:38, a PR by almost a minute. My newbie friend (I've known her since 8th grade) passed me up at the last minute, so I told her she'd better keep running! My Garmin showed that I ran the third mile in 8:40. I was shocked! I've never run a single mile under 9 minutes before. Roberta, good luck with the exercises! It sounds like you got encouraging news. Rindaroo, I hope you feel better soon, and the PT goes well for you. btb, not long now!! That's neat you'll get to meet Amy and her family this weekend. I have lots of catchup work to do after my trip, so I should get to it! Teresa