Masters Running

Moose vs. Lance Boston 2008 RR (Read 379 times)

Short story, 2:46:01 - my 7th sub 2:50 and a very satisfying run on very inconsistent training (6 days from my 48th Birthday). When I ran Philly, the song going through my head was "The Impossible Dream" (The Andy Williams version believe it or not).... For Boston on Monday, I couldn't shake "Yesterday, When I was Young (The Bobby Bare version) from my mond.... "I ran so fast that time and youth at last ran out..." My training was going great in February, but hamstring problems knocked me out of Napa and left me feeling old and washed up - wondering if Boston was even doable.... But my wife really wanted to go to Boston and I did have one decent long run to go on, so I figured I'd give it a try. At one point my goal was to beat LanceArmstrong , but I was backpedaling to the point where I was setting my sights on presidentisal candidate (and fellow bassist) Micheal Huckabee (did any notice if he started or finished?). My hamstring had consistently gone haywire around 18 miles into faster long runs, so I was really worried about having to walk into Boston... I decided to run as conservatively as possible staying as close to 6:20 pace as I could... This turned out to work well for me as I had just about as close to even splits as you could run...by the time I hit the hills in Newton I was feeling much more confident about finishing and started slowly passing runners - by heartbreak hill I was feeling real good and surged ahead of many runners who had gone out a bit faster..... By the last mile I was passing runners like they were standing still and zipping along like Rosie Ruiz. I Felt good all the way to the finish (2:46:01) and was suprised to hear Lance was behind me as I never saw him on the course and figured he was long finished by the time I got there. All in all, it was a great weekend.... Not having the training to hit a PR took some of the pressure off and made it fun to just run, slap 5s with the kids on the route and enjoy the day. My hamstring feels like crap today - but I'm going to give it some time to heal and come back and take another thwack at sub 2:40 next fall....that windmill is just too tempting for a me - and I feel I owe Lance another shot at me. Confused Ray
    HermosaBoy

Great race Ray!!! You rocked it on a less than optimal day (or was it just me that the wind/sun beat up?). I did see Lance on the course -- once when I passed him and once when he took me back. Angry Let's not even get into a discussion of him. I would have to give a Black eye to the BAA for their handling of Mr. Yellowband...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

WOW!!! Excellent run Ray Shocked My goal used to be 3:50 but I've given up so I can't imagine running 2:50. Lance called and wants a rematch in NY Clowning around Wink

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

WOW...WOW...WOW.... Man, you ran incredible with a toucy hamstrring too..... AND you BEET LANCE......all right...
            Ray, Wow. What an excellent race. I can only dream...To run that kind of time at 48 with poor training and a twitchy hamstring...hmmm you sandbagger you. Honestly, you have been through so much over the last year that I am very very happy for you to be able to run this time and have a great time. Maybe you can coach me on my attempt at near 2:50....(not sure it's possible but I think I can come close). Might be the first every 200+LB to achieve it.... You rock Ray and if you go to Boston next year...I am there. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

WOW!! your 7th sub-2hour marathon!! you are amazing!! sounds like you ran a great race and had a wonderful time doing so - thanks for a great report!!

denise

Good job......I was trying to keep your times posted on the daily thread here along with the 32 other people listed from this website and you were so fast at a couple of stages that I missed you passing the next 5K mark before I could post it. In other words, everyone else was running 5K while you were clipping them off at 10K. Mike Huckabee apparently withdrew from the race sometime on Sunday. I did not hear why. That's okay, to beat Lance boy is a lot cooler anyway. Great job. I stand in awe. Thanks for the race report. Joey
                Vista
                  What can I say, except, "Wow!" And Lance who??? Big grin

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

seemomgo

What can I say, except, "Wow!" And Lance who??? Big grin
                    Yeah, and besides that, I saw that guy in yellow blow a snot rocket on tv. Yuck! Congrats on a terrific race. Line me up with the others who are in awe of you!!
                    arf

MM #405

Shocked Shocked Shocked Ray, can I have your autograph? Congrats on an amazing race!
                      SteveP

Good Greif that's fast! Zipping past runners in the last mile is kewl.

SteveP

Moose, yes, very very nice race. We were tracking you and I for one was in awe of your speed. Huckabee dropped out when he heard your were running!! Actually I don't think Huck is that fast (faster than me though). There was a nice article in RW a couple years back. A marathoner and bass player....he can't be all bad.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Great race and report, Ray. Given your injuries and training, you adopted a fantastic attitude and smoked the course. A big congratulations. TomS
                            PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

You the man! Sorry we missed you at Pro's water stop - you must have glided right past us. I heard that Huckabee DNSed because of some "injury" (just like me). Yet you persevered. Way to go Ray.

King of PhotoShop

We're all in awe of your time Ray. 48 and a 2:46 and hoping for a sub 2:40? You are a machine! That even paced race plan really carried you in. Smart move. Congrats Ray. Spareribs