Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 5 (Read 307 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, folks, last day of the challenge. Where did you end up? I, for one, ended up a big fat nothing. I am exactly the same weight as where I started. On the plus side, that weight isn't too bad, but still, it would have been nice to lose at least ONE POUND! And I'm really annoyed that going off the Pill didn't make me drop weight. Angry However, I have decided that marathon training is not a good time for me to lose weight. I do these really long runs, but then I am starving all day. And since I am concerned about performance, I also fuel up the night before my hard runs. So that basically means I have an excuse to eat more almost every day. Roll eyes When I am done with this marathon, I think I will have better luck, because I won't worry about fueling up the day before my runs. If I run out of energy in the middle of a run, so be it. At any rate, I'm putting this thread aside for a while, at least until after my marathon, and then I might start working on that dratted last 5 lbs again. Hope you all did better than me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

hey Holly!! At least you had really good reason and your weight isn't far off from where you want it to be --- you do need that fuel for your training and your awesome runs show that it's working!! me -- i ended up 1lb from where we startedCry I am so annoyedAngry because I have been able to increase my workouts over these past 5 weeks and feel like I've been doing ok in the food area -- I guess I really need to start analyzing better. I never did start the journaling like I thought I would last time - maybe that's really what I need because I am obviouusly consuming more calories than I realize.

denise

Renee the dog

Well, I didn't have high hopes of my weight registering in a positive direction, but my pants are definitely fitting better -- I'm right on the edge of 8 - 10 these days, and more of my 8s are going on my bod and staying! But, interestingly, I woke up bloated (2 margarita night last night) and weighing in at 133.2 . I started at 135. Down 1.8 lbs. WOW. Now to keep inching towards the big 129! (Why oh why is that number so seductive to me??? It's still 9 over ultimate goal weight LOL!) I'm generally not as hungry in between meals lately, and that's where I think making sure I was getting enough at my main meals (without going overboard) has helped. Also more of a mix in of carbs with a bit less fat (protein % seems OK) seems to keep things "sticking to my ribs" so that I'm not snacking. Oh, no birthdays in this house until November sure isn't hurting either!!!!!!! Holly and dee -- been there, and it is frustrating. On the plus side though, you are better looking and in better shape than 90 - 99% of your peers. Evil grin Hope that helps! Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

This is the last day already?? I'm sticking with my Monday weigh in which was 136 and that is down 2.5 pounds. My pants are feeling loose and I am feeling better in general about my body. Big grin I might finally be in diet mode mentally. I was invited out for a vendor lunch yesterday and almost said "no" just because I didn't want to waiver - but I knew that was rude. I tried to eat good, but I think yesterday was a bad day overall - so I will just make up for that today and stay on course. Holly - I agree that marathon training and weight loss do not go hand in hand. I also failed at that attempt last year. I'm sure you look great! Thanks for keeping this thread going! Denise - your body is still adjusting to major surgery too don't forget! Congratulations NoNo - that is great! My seductive number is 132. Wink Holly is abandoning us for a little while - but I hope we keep up this thread in the meantime.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Well, probably because I'm on spring break and have been busy, busy, with little thought of eating all day as when I'm at school. I am down to 133 this morning, which is the lowest I've been in a long time! I think I started this at 136? I even changed my goal weight on my RA home p. to 125 now - ha! Like that will ever happen. Anyway, thanks Holly for doing this. I really think knowing I "had" to check in kept me motivated. And as for your plateau, I would definitely credit it to the marathon training. I've never done one, but just the training for the 1/2 marathon is grueling and you are starving all the time. And 116, really!!! You are adorable and can kick all our butts! Denise, when you get back to regular training, your pounds will drop. Mary, good for you, and yes, please let's keep this going! Nono, you and I are eyeballing the same number, but I'm a full inch shorter than you, so you go girl!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, I just passed the lady from the office down the hall on the way to the bathroom and she said, "Hey, Skinny," which sort of made my day.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Well, I'm not home so can't weigh in till Saturday, but I feel like I've lost some weight this week. Virtually no opportunity for snacking and with getting up early to run I go to bed earlier than when at home. This thread has been helpful for mutual support if nothing else. And I agree that marathon training is a terrible time to try to lose weight, for all the reasons you mentioned Holly. Don't want to sacrifice performance for a pound or two.
                  In a fit of frustration, my DH threw our scale away. He said it wasn't working. Roll eyes With most of my miles being outside these days, I don't always get to the Y to weigh in on Thursdays any more. That said, I'm off to Target to buy a new scale. I'm sure the news will be grim, but I'll report in later...
                    Weighed in a 140.9. I think when we started all this oh so many weeks ago, I was around 146. Strangely enough, the best thing to help me lose weight was surgery. Go figure. If I can stay within a pound or two of 140, I will be very happy. I would definitely like to keep this thread going, as it helps make me more accountable, but I will be incommunicado until April 8. Hopefully, I don't gain anything while on vacation. Roll eyes

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

There is NO fattening food to be found in Australia Big grin It's under the equator so calories don't count. Evil grin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

There is NO fattening food to be found in Australia Big grin It's under the equator so calories don't count. Evil grin
                        Well, then, that's FANTASTIC news!!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Strangely enough, the best thing to help me lose weight was surgery.. Roll eyes
                          For me, that surgery would be cutting off my hands to keep me from getting food to my mouth. As I suspected, bad news for me. 127 (up 1 1/2 pounds from when we started). Sad But, I didn't weigh in at my normal time and I was fully clothed and wearing shoes (AND - a brand new scale, which isn't used to me yet). I figure the clothes and shoes are worth at least 10 pounds, so I'm taking a "do-over." I'll weigh in tomorrow and see if I need to keep my appointment with the hypnotist who guarantees weight loss. Look for the exciting results tomorrow....

Prince of Fatness

2/20 - 168.5 lbs. 2/27 - 170.5 lbs. 3/06 - 170.0 lbs. 3/13 - 168.5 lbs. 3/20 - 169.0 lbs. Up half a pound from last week. Although it looks like I am treading water I am down 2.5 since week 5 of the last challenge. If I could lose 4 more pounds that would be great. I am trying to work my weekly mileage up to 50 and am almost there. With the higher mileage I have definitely noticed that I am hungrier. I'm shooting for a fall marathon so I'll need to work on managing the hunger. I would prefer to have any weight off before I get into the meat of the marathon training. I don't want to even try to be losing during that time. Thanks for doing this, Holly!

Not at it at all. 

For me, that surgery would be cutting off my hands to keep me from getting food to my mouth. As I suspected, bad news for me. 127 (up 1 1/2 pounds from when we started). Sad But, I didn't weigh in at my normal time and I was fully clothed and wearing shoes (AND - a brand new scale, which isn't used to me yet). I figure the clothes and shoes are worth at least 10 pounds, so I'm taking a "do-over." I'll weigh in tomorrow and see if I need to keep my appointment with the hypnotist who guarantees weight loss. Look for the exciting results tomorrow....
                              maybe that's the surgery i need too!!Wink actually - the first 2 weeks post-op i did lose 4lbs -- but unfortunately i gained them back a couple weeks later - but here's the weird thing - when we weighed in thursday i did feel all bloated and PMS'y (sorry guys) so i'm thinking that since i still have my ovaries, my hormones may still do some weird PMS type stuff even tho i won't have the end result because i weighed myself again friday when i didn't feel so bloated and i was down 2 lbs --- go figureRoll eyes

denise