Masters Running

Wednesday ~ 8'20'2014 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

I'll do a quick start of the thread and then stand back and let everyone else fill in the details.

I ran an easy 3 miles this morning as I start my mini-taper to Saturday's 10 mile run in Flint.  Had I known earlier that people were running in their underwear in Dayton I might have consider a road trip.

I keep thinking it is Friday, but every time I look at the calendar it is still Wednesday.  Oh well, may as well work to make the time go by faster.  The days really drag when I spend them trying to avoid work.

Slo

Friday would be nice.

Only a sliver of a silver moon this am. Made for a dark rec trail. 6 miles, two families of skunks and the rest of the usual suspects were out.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks for starting, Dave. Procrastination is hard work.

Out for the first run of the summer with the reflective vest. Not exactly Jay o'dark, but the street lights were on when I left. Another gorgeous morning--54°F and dead calm. 7 miles for the longest week day run in quite a while. It may get (more) painful when they're into double digits further into the training plan. I tried to make the last mile or so a faster one. With about 3/4 left to go, I saw a guy ahead a little ways that looked like he might be going a bit slower than I was. Little did he know how relentlessly he was run down (or something like that), but it felt faster and good when I did catch and pass. Hope I'm not too disappointed when I download the run tonight.

two of the neighborhood bunnies in our front yard on the walk back home.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Wednesday?? Friday?? it's hard and pointless to keep track.

grandchildren time yesterday and today. yesterday to legoland with DD & her 2.  the little ones slept the entire way home they were so exhausted.  today henry's DS & family will be down shortly.  tonight henry off to see sox hopefully so good and i will hopefully run so good

have a wonderful day!

mar

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wednesday?? Friday?? it's hard and pointless to keep track.

Sure, rub it in. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Yup, there's always hope, marg!  Doin' a lot of that with our boyz, aren't we?

!!!!!!!!   Before I forget, Steve, there's a week long series of marathons starting Dec 26 in Ocala.  YOu don't have to do the seven; you can just do one.  Here's the website: if you sign up before Sept 1, the price is decent.  Ocala Marathon(s)  I was thinking of doing the one Dec  26, as it's a Friday and I'll be able to get the day offf (or maybe the governor will give it to us).  I also know a good Indian Restaurant in Ocala.   I think Ocala is just a cuople of hours from New Port Richey.    Whaddaya think, Batman?  Are you driving or flying?

Hey Starr and tet...gonna hold you to that and will see you in South Dakota next year!

Looks as if you're making good steady progress, Kevin.  Did the guy you passed grumble anything as you sped by him this am?

I wasn't passing anything this morning!  It was 80-something before sunrise, and I did 10 last night [10.1 in 1:23, a stroll compared to Mike's time, .. he's a zoomer].  Last night wa in the nineties, but there was a breeze and the Speedsters to run with, so it seemed easier.    And no critters.

Hope everyone has good Wednesdays and enjoys a good laugh today.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Dave - it should be an interesting-looking crowd, that's for sure.

First day of school here, so I ran loops in my neighborhood so I could stop by the house periodically to make sure the kids were up and motivating.

6 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

First day of school already? Where did summer go?. I am not ready to for it to end yet.

Slo- the silver moon was gorgeous this morning

Stumpy, reflective vest already? Nice 7 miler for you. When is your next marathon?

Wildchild, any plan for a trip to Seattle this fall? Let me know in advance when you come.

Marj, you must be a fun to be around grandma. Legoland, that would be a blast.

Tetsujin, wanna do the Cutthroat Classic with Francesca and I this weekend?

Well twocat, I have good news for you, I finally managed to convince my RP to hang out with me more than 2 or 3 miles. 10 miles today .

Ohh, I forgot to mention that last night I discovered that I am very talented at face painting . I had a resource booth the back to school night at our local grade school and I painted well over 100 faces and arms. Ohhh how fun it was.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wildchild, any plan for a trip to Seattle this fall? Let me know in advance when you come.

Around November 1 some year would be a worthy consumation devoutly to be wished.

<<<(Carkeek12-hourFunRun/Carkeek12-hourFunRun)>>>

Tetsujin, wanna do the Cutthroat Classic with Francesca and I this weekend?

You mean that one that relentlessly ascends straight up the five-and-a-half miles to the scenic alpine Methow ridges and then precipitously plummets the same directly down a rock-strewn, narrow trail to the valley below?  My brain still thinks I can do it but but my knees wouldn't make it past the first bounding leap I loved all the way down back in 2007. Besides, I probably better work on trying to get back to South Dakota somehow next year.

ps - please ask 300-mile francesca when the last time she has run anything that's not an ultra.  Maybe she'll do it two or three times.  Don't fall under her spell. She'll think it's normal, . . . as do all you goddeses who didn't come from athletic backgrounds to know how hard these things are supposed to be.  Oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Enke, the Mt. Rainier picture was OK, but I really liked the shot of your Subaru on the Flickr site. I've got one of those badges too with several activities (running, cycling, etc.), but haven't gotten around to actually putting them on. And why no pics of Mr. C so we could weigh in on approval?

Ran the same 6-miles around the lake as a week ago, but a big difference in conditions. Last week it was really cool and dry and we got back barely breaking a sweat. Today the official average temp for the run was 68.8F with a dew point of 68.7! In other words, we were soaking wet after the first mile and literally dripping when we got back in. I was glad for the beach-house showers because I wouldn't have wanted to get into the car like that, let alone go eat somewhere.

I hope it's not this bad on Saturday, Dave and TomS!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

So my dog Sophie is really a velociraptor at heart.  She has figured out how to open doors by jumping up on the knob.  She can get into the food pantry even though there is a lock on it.  And she got into the cat food by moving it out of range from the indoor invisible fence unit with her paws.

So this morning, I'm letting her out after breakfast, and she spots a deer in the woods off to the left of the house.  Does she chase after the deer?  No, she runs in the direction that the deer is headed.  That takes some thought.  She almost got the big prize!  This is one deviously smart dog.

.Yay, a PBJ sighting//////.........

==========

30-min HH RacingCrutches walking

2-lb boots,

2-lb handweights

and

32-min poolrun no belt,deep end only

TENS and HotBath afterward (to be assumed in future posts)

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Oooh, Tag may have a love interest in Sophie!

I have no idea, as usual, what's going on here, but I, too, which it was Friday already.

Stumpy - It always feels good to chase someone down . . . at least that's what folks tell me as they're passing me.

We had a great time at Waldo, or at least I did.  Poor Hub.  His pack was way too heavy for him (2 volunteers didn't show up), so I was very worried about him on the climb up.  But it was one foot slowly in front of the other and everyone made it.  He kept track of the runners with the ham radio operators all day, and I was on water duty.  Suffice to say I got my workout and then some after packing in 2.5 miles with a freaking heavy pack and then shuffling 6-gal containers of filtered water 1/2 mile back and forth from the lake to the aid station.  I think I made 5 or 6 trips.  We had a stroller bob, which was a big help, but still - pushing 40-50 lbs. of water up/down a trail at 6500 feet over and over and over is just hard.  Add 14+ hrs of driving in 3 days and it made for a fast, fun, but very tiring 3 days.  And yes.  I'm ready to go back next year. 

Running - last night it was 6 miles, then this a.m. 8 miles in a sticky, sort of drizzly, humid predawn with 20 min of tempo running in the middle.  The last 6 min were the hardest, and I thought I was gonna throw up at the end.  Suffice to say, my legs are pooped.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Hello All.   It was nice to get a note from a co-worker I run with this morning - she was aware I hurt my little self last week (since I was running with her when I started whimpering about my hamstring) but she wasn't aware that I was out of the office this week and just wanted to see how I was healing up.  That was encouraging.  I should be able to run again - at least for a 3-miler - at lunch on Friday.

Last night's trip to the gym was interesting - stretching is stretching so as long as the facilities for stretching are there, my 25 - 35 minute routine is fairly cookie-cutter.  But this chain has lots of different setups depending on the location, and some interesting "cultures" within them, depending on the time of day and day o the week.  Now that I'm in Buffalo I'm going to see how this one is set up and hope I can get in that same stretch workout and strengthening routine - this time it's a lats/biceps workout with lesser emphasis on rear delts and rhomboids.  This program (contrasted with the chest/anterior delt/triceps workout from last night) doesn't require accessing equipment that the "lunks" like to camp out on.  It'll be another adventure.

Maybe I'll hit the Mighty Taco afterward since I don't have to weigh in tomorrow morning.....

I'm modifying this to acknowledge that there are some at this particular chain (Planet Fitness) who lump me in with the lunks (I guess that's 'lunk-lumping') since I use the same equipment and work out reasonably hard, particularly for an older guy who works out in running shorts and tech shirts from roadraces.  I like to think that I'm a Rennaisance Man but I'm more like Hermie the Elf Smile

fatozzig, you and your husband sure did a lot of hard work for the aid station.  Nice long runs for Mike and mari.

This morning, it was in the high 60s and almost calm.  I did 4 miles at an 11:38 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS