Masters Running

3.29.13 Friday (yipee!) Daily (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yikes, another busy day today, so I have to make this quick: 5.6 racewalking miles at 4:20am - 36F with a bit of a NW strong breeze. I love being out when the full moon is setting late so I can enjoy its wonderful light before the sun comes up, and this was one of those days. At first, small bright-white clouds sailed across the sky while the moon shined down on and through them. Then I noticed the shadows disappearing in front of me, and I looked up to see ominous, thickening clouds all but obscuring that poor moon. But I calculated that, by the time I was on the last leg of my loop, those clouds would have continued their travels eastward toward open water, and a break in the clouds would make me smile again while the moon once again smiled back at me. The newspaper delivery guy and I crossed paths 3 times on my route this morning, but it was hard to tell who was following who. All in all, I had a good start to my day. I hope you do too!

Have a greta Friday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

You win Jay - I'll kill my post.

Good Friday morning all,

I can start with a run this morning - just 3 miles on the TM.  But I also did some fizzy lifting and spinnerooni.  The spin class was full, and turned away about 10 people.  I've never seen the gym this busy - lots of new members.  Usually by now (late March) the resolutionists are long gone.  It's refreshing to see.

This afternoon - girl scout cookie selling at the Super Stop & Shop with PBJster #2.  We will hand out free samples as a marketing ploy.

And PBJster #1 just got accepted to Cornell for engineering.  Now we have to figure out how to pay for it.

Have a great weekend all.  Happy Easter to those who celebrate it.

wildchild

Carolyn

PBJ - congrats to PBJster #1!  My DD is a junior at Cornell in engineering, and she loves it.  Which type of engineering is he planning to major in?

I'm at Denver airport waiting for a flight to Portland.  Getting excited about my race tomorrow!  Good luck to Byllger at your HM tomorrow - is anyone else racing this weekend?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Jay--the moon's been great this week, hasn't it?  It's nice to see some daylight returning to the earlier hours, too.

PBJ--congrats on Cornell.  Should be fun.

Carolyn--good luck.  According to Ilene's thread, it's just you and Byll this weekend:

03/30 wildchild - Gorge Waterfalls 50k, Columbia River Gorge, OR

03/30 breger1 - Coral Springs Half marathon, Coral Springs, FL

I'm waiting until this afternoon to run in some warmer temps.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Great news PBJ on Cornell.  Many years ago my wife and I agreed we only have two important jobs.  Bring your kids up right with good values, then give them the best education you possibly can.  So far we've done that pretty well, with Riblet still in high school though.  What a good feeling for you to know your son is off to such a great school.

I'm home from my Pitt. trip as of last night. Got in late and then had a tired 3.5 mile run this morning.  I'll have something like 35 miles for this week, then ease off of that the next two.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Did someone mentioned girl scouts cookies, I love those things!

Have a fun time in Portland, WildChild. Are you meeting anyone from RA there? First 50k, right? how exciting!

PBJ, congrats to your son and good luck in the financial aspect. We have two boys in college now and I tell you it is amazing how fast the money leaves the checkbook, but it is worth it.

OrangeMat, what a great news about your doctor's visit. Way to go to pamper yourself after the good news.

Hi Jlynne.

Karin, how is the next stage of  your recovery coming along?

Any news from hopeful4ever?

No running yet, but a have plan for a sunshine slow recovery run after work today.

Go racers go!!!

3/30 wildchild - Gorge Waterfalls 50k, Columbia River Gorge, OR

03/30 breger1 - Coral Springs Half marathon, Coral Springs, FL

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

4 miles with the moon at one end and the pretty sunrise at the other.

As someone that's paying out of state rates at UCLA, I can certainly sympathize.  But as mentioned, it's an important investment in the ongoing growth of a loved one.  I may end up working unitl 75, but can't see doing it any differnet.

Good luck, racers!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

nice piece on relays in that newsletter karl. You pretty much sum it up well!

I'm looking forward to my next relay, an inaugural one here in So. Oregon coming up in June. The leg I'm running will pass one mile from my house. Should be a good one and weather is generally pretty nice here in June - warm but not really HOT yet. usually.

12 miles on tap for tomorrow. Going to join up with a group run in town, which will be nice because it'll push me to go a little faster than if I was just running solo.

Tammy

mrrun

Since our kids are all settled and propagating, we just spend the money on grandkids (and travelling).  we've gone from the giving the good values to being friends - priceless.

went for a short run along the charles at lunch and bumped in henrun (pur chance of course). glorious day - shorts and t-shirt - first run in that clothing!  I love the morning runs, but haven't been able to get up early enough these days.

good luck to all racers, patience to taperers, and happy runs to those just running, and ((hurts))  and ((hurting lurkers))

marj

Mike E

MM #5615

wildchild did her very first marathon less than a year ago...now she has run--what-- 4 or 5--she became a Marathon Maniac...and now she's off to do a 50K! That's just....well...that's just wild.

Thanks, Tamster, and no detouring to your house for a shower, etc.!

Yoga & 4 easy pace today (not easy because of about 90% humidity).  I just found out they want my services as a pacer at our marathon here in a month for 4:45.  I'm gonna do it so I need to increase my mileage.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Tramps

wildchild did her very first marathon less than a year ago...now she has run--what-- 4 or 5--she became a Marathon Maniac...and now she's off to do a 50K! That's just....well...that's just wild.

Or is it child-like?  Mmmmm.....?

Those of you writing big checks can take some solace:

YMMV within each category, of course, especially due to major and school.

I got an EZ 10 miler done in the mid-day warmth (60F).  Even got a little sweaty.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Busy in here again.

Jay stalking the paper delivery guy. Wild running a 50. Another engineer and from Cornel too. Yeah PBJ. The world needs more of us engineers.

I killed my treadmill yesterday on my first run at lunch. Motor burned out. I'm torn about repairing or getting another one off Craigslist. Being the usual engineer type I was thinking of putting in a bigger motor and see if I can't improve the deck but ........

Thankfully the weather seems to be turning so I can spend time outdoors like I did at lunch. 20 miles slated for the club run in the morning. Should I? Haven't run over 16 in a while.

Good luck racers and have a great Easter weekend everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks a lot Tramps.  I might have been better off not seeing that today.  I am apparently making slightly more than the average high school graduate, in spite of the fact that I have an Associate's Degree and 15 years in this field.  (sigh)  And those numbers were from 3 years ago.  Roll eyes

I think I need one of PBJ's cookies.....

Congrats to PBJ#1!  Isn't #1 a girl?

C-R - bummer about the TM.  We get a lot of use out of ours.

I'm taking DD and a couple friends to a "Flashlight Easter Egg Hunt" tonight.  I have two headlamps we can use, to free up the hands you know...Smile

9 easy-paced miles on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I hope the world needs more engineers.  That's what DS thinks he wants to do.  He graduates high school this year and will be going to OU.  He's looking at petroleum or chemical, coming from Oklahoma, imagine that!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me