Masters Running

Older Successful Athletes (Read 398 times)

Did anyone watch the trials last night? A 41 year old mom made the swimming team! Its so cool. Would love to see her place. A 45 year old mom won the Boston Iron Girl last year running against all those young in shape 20 something women. My hero is Maddona Buder. The 70 something year old nun who runs the Hawaii Ironman every year for the last 20 years. One more...my mom met a man in tennis who had an interesting ring on. She asked about the ring. Turns out his softball team won the national championship last year and he is 91!!!! Add to my list of older successful athletes. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

huskydon

Greg Norman (53!) is leading golf's British Open by two shots after three rounds. If he could hold on to win tomorrow, I believe he would be the oldest to ever win one of golf's major championships. Jack Nicklaus was 46 when he won the masters in 1986 and that was considered one of sports most improbable wins. I also learned that Greg Norman recently married tennis great Chris Evert. huskydon
      coastwalker

Joanne Dow, a 44 year-old mother of 2 from New Hampshire, earned a spot as a racewalker on the US Olympic team this year. She lost out getting onto the team 4 years ago due to a technicality, so we're very excited for her that she made it this year. Two of my favorite older, successful athletes are Henrun and Marj. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Dara Torres is amazing. The New York Times had a nice profile on June 29 called "A Swimmer of a Certain Age." http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/magazine/29torres-t.html?sq=dana%20torres&st=cse&scp=1&pagewanted=all (Not sure if link will work; you need to log in at the Times). Two things in that piece especially impressed me: 1. she was given "the chance to volunteer for a pilot program that tests more broadly blood and urine for signs of doping and presumably will catch a much higher percentage of dirty athletes. Torres said yes." 2. this picture Somebody's been doing her crunches. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

I used to watch Greg Norman back in the day when he was young. What was his nickname? I dont remember. He was one of the greats. Back then him and Fuzzy Zeller were the big shots. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

I used to watch Greg Norman back in the day when he was young. What was his nickname? I dont remember. He was one of the greats. Back then him and Fuzzy Zeller were the big shots. Laurie
              The SHARK! Big grin