Masters Running

The Injury Rehab Thread (Read 335 times)

How about a board for runners rehabbing from an injury. I am rehabbing from a hamstring injury. Couldnt run nearly all winter. Now I am struggling with a few miles. My legs are still in pain and my endurance has gone down. Any input? Any other runners out there coming back after an injury want to join me here? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Sounds like you and I could have a long conversation and swap notes. I've also been laid up all winter with a hamstring injury. It's been discouraging that it's hung on this long. Like you, I'm starting to do some short, slow runs. I don't feel like my endurance has totally tanked, but I'm still getting twinges or aches from my leg. The big question for me is whether it's OK for me to start running again as long as the pain doesn't get worse, or if I'm actually hindering my full recovery. You said your "legs" (plural) are hurting - is that still from the injury or more from getting out of condition?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Maniac 505

I've been off since December with what I thought was a heel stress fracture, finally went to a doc, SF was negative, the Podiatrist said it was bursitis. He said a steroid shot would get me running in a couple weeks. I am currently on day tow of the Pfitz return to running schedule http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml I did some elliptical while I was rehabbing, I don't know if I am in shape to stay with the schedule, we will see. and I don't plan on any speed work until I am back up to marathon distance Dave
          ...I'm in, been talking to Dr Bookspan, and THINK I have the hip/hammy/knee problem on The Mend.... am posting the link if you wanna check it out...... http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2008/05/runner-fixes-more-pain-with-straighter.html ,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,have since added a SLIGHT Shoulder Turn (from my nordictrak crosstraining) it seems to help the hip line up straighter for the PushOff.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tom, let us know how you mended them. What worked for you? Your article is interesting and I have been wondering if my running form aggravates my hamstring. I practice ChiRunning and have a bit of a lean from the ankle. Maybe that lean is putting a pull or stress on my hamstring. Do you have a lean or do you run upright? Dave, I used the elliptical during rehab too but it wasnt near the workout as running and now I am paying the price. What does SF stand for? I heard good things about those shots. Glad to hear you are back to running again. How is the pain when you run? Did he recommend a specific shoe or insert? Doug, my physical therapist says that hamstrings take a while to heal. I aggravated mine but not stopping running or getting it treated until months after the injury. So now I pay. I got the go ahead 2 months ago to start running again. She said to warm up, stretch, use the foam roller on the ITB, run slow and easy, then cool down and stretch again. I have been pretty good at following her advice. But I am so frustrated with the fact that I can only run 4.25 max miles and its not easy (or pretty for that matter). What is everyone doing for rehab? PT? Strengthening with weights? Rest, ice? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Dave, disregard the SF question. I just figured it out. Half my brain is used for posting and the other half is watching the Celtics walk all over the Cavs. I hope they pull this one out. A two game lead would sure be nice. Laurie

lswife

I'll join the club with my stubborn case of plantar fascitis. Deciding to increase my pace last January didn't develop speed but instead PF in my left heel. Since the first of March I've gone to my doctor 2x (2 rounds of anti-inflammatories), referred to a podiatrist 2x (a cortisone shot, shoe insert), and finally sent to a rehab center since nothing had worked. I'm going 3x a week for stretching exercises/heat treatments and am doing other stretching exercises 3x a day here at home. My favoring my left foot caused my whole left side to get out of whack. The pain, thankfully, is gradually decreasing. Last Saturday's race was done after some pre-race stretching and a good deal of adrenaline since I was so excited. This coming week, the therapist said I might be able to do some run/walks daily, not just short walks.

Maniac 505

Laurie: docs are usually reluctant to give steroid shots, I think they can cause tendon damage, but since I had lain off for over 3 months he was willing to do what he considered aggressive treatment (If any of the med types here want to weigh in, they know lots more than I do)\ I also agree, it is really hard to get the same workout on the elliptical as you get from running, but it is possible. when I had my SF weeks before my first BQ attempt, I hit the elliptical one hour a day most days, medium resistance and a high turnover. heart rate was usually close to a medium long run heart rate and I always had a pool of sweat around the machine (everyone at the gym knew my workouts) a couple times a month I would hit it for two hours. about 7 months strictly elliptical. about 4 months after I started running again, I got my BQ I haven't hit it nearly as hard this time, I'm not training for anything. 5 days a week, I hit it for about 5K equivalent on the elliptical. we will see how soon I can get back to marathon distance. Oh, and No pain. that is one of the keys to the Pfitz return to running thing. if there is pain stop and finish healing (that doesn't mean muscle pain, though) Re: shoes, the podiatrist says my brooks adrenaline are the right shoe for me, but he said with my ultra high arch I could benefit greatly from orthotics. I got casted a couple days ago, and I will try them.
                  Dave, I used the elliptical during rehab too but it wasnt near the workout as running and now I am paying the price. What does SF stand for? I heard good things about those shots. Glad to hear you are back to running again. How is the pain when you run? Did he recommend a specific shoe or insert? Laurie
                  lswife

Re: shoes, the podiatrist says my brooks adrenaline are the right shoe for me, but he said with my ultra high arch I could benefit greatly from orthotics. I got casted a couple days ago, and I will try them.
                    Divechief - same shoes for me too, and for the same reason I was told to "run" in the pool at the Y and to do some biking, both to take weight off my foot but to keep my endurance up. I've done exercises here at home, but skipped the pool and bike. (First time trying to quote something - hope I did it right.)
                      Hi L's, congrats on last week's race. According to my physical therapist running form is important and having supporting strong abs and hips helps maintain that form. Does the rehab center have you doing any strengthening exercises? Did you try regular swimming instead of pool running? Regular swimming will take the stress off of every joint. Dave, it takes tons of willpower to stay on a machine for one hour! I get bored after 20 mins. So now what BQ are you aiming for? DD and I got to watch the race this year at the finish line. She was psyched and now wants to run it too. We got to see Lance and the leaders finish. But she is rehabbing too from a knee injury. I have heard great things about orthotics. I think they take some getting used to though. Where do you dive? I used to live in Guam and never got certified. Wish I would have. Loved the snorkling there. Now both kids want to dive and we live up in the cold atlantic. I am struggling with shoes. My physical therapist says I need a light stability shoe but my feet go numb in anyting accept Nike Free (no upper support at all and very flexible). I have weird feet that got used to working out bare after 5 years of martial arts. Laurie

Maniac 505

I've heard that pool running is the best non impact exercise a runner can do but I have also heard it is boring as hell There was a scene in the movie Spirit of the marathon where Deena Kastor was training on an underwater treadmill. she lamented on how frustrating it was that she could run 120 miles a week, then break her foot when she stepped on a pine cone. She went on to win the Chicago marathon that year. Most of us aren't nearly that driven. I am qualified for the 2009 Boston, but I doubt if we will go. currently the only race on my list is to complete the Catalina island eco marathon in November. With 20% of the field DNF'ing last year, that is not a small challenge. after that? we will see. I've snorkeled in Guam. beautiful place. First certified in Cairns Australia over 20 years ago. I love to dive the south pacific, northern Vancouver Island Canada is almost as nice (but a little colder) lately all my diving has been around Seattle. and I have been a volunteer diver for the Seattle Aquarium for 18 years.
                          Dave, how cold is the water up there? I lived north of Seattle for a year and never made it in the water. I had a new baby at the time so I was busy with that. I think long slow distance is better than short and fast. I ran 3 slow miles yesterday and not a hint of pain. Swam on Friday and took a break on THurs. So I think I am good for 5 slow miles today. How is everyone else feeling? Laurie

Maniac 505

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been out of town, and this thread slipped off my radar screen Water is around 48º year around. Maybe 5º colder around the north end of vancouver island. I once recorded 34º near Seattle, but that was just the surface temp with lots of snow melt and flooding. once we dropped down a few feet it warmed up. most people who dive around here use dry suits. I agree with the long and slow. got to get the endurance back before you can think about speed. Right now, I am trying to cycle every other day. 25 miles yesterday. Today was Pfitz 12 run, 2 walk, three times. My first run with the Garmin since December. 4 miles. I think I need to dust off my Excel spread sheet and start logging miles again. Feels GREAT. Dave