Masters Running

Equinox Saturday Sept. 15 2012 (Read 364 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey - it turns out I was 1/4 in my AG!  (51-60)  And 16 OA out of 27.  The preliminary results posted at the finish line said I was 2nd so I'm not sure what changed, but I'll take it!

Here's one of my pictures.  No views of the Alaska range, but gorgeous!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice job, Carolyn, and in a 10 year age group.  Lovely picture, too.

Erika showed me how to unload my Garmin into my log, and to make a graph out of the elevation - pretty cool.  Here's our run today.  See those nasty wicked jagged descents and climbs between the peaks?  That was about 4 miles of a MEAN out and back, but lovely views.  And that last hill at mile 25 - that was a tough one at that point...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wildchild - SuWEET on the AG!  Gorgeous picture.

Mean looking graph, Holly.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Wow, Holly is no longer an Equinox virgin! Great job girls!

Look at Wildchild, running marathons as they were 5ks. Congrats in your AG. Your hard work and training is sure paying off!

Fattossig, asthma is bad, took 4 puffs of albuterol today Roll eyes, thanks for asking. Out emergency preparedness fair today was well attended. As the official interpreter for the event I spent my day taxing my lung, but it was worth it all. 

Can't wait to see the pictures of the racers!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Finally have time to post.  I finished the Turkey Day 10K in 1:12:59, a 11:45 pace.  12/12 in AG and 563/583 OA.  I am happy with that although my Garmin said 6.3 miles for a 11:34 pace.  Temp was 70° at the start and 75° at the end with a brisk wind of 20 mph.  I’m glad it was at my back in miles 4 & 5.  I was extremely thirsty at the start of the race so was looking forward to the first water stop at about 1.5 miles.

One of the hardest things is that the race doesn’t start until 10:30 so I felt like a nervous wreck by the time I left for downtown.  I’ve run very few races and the last one was 6 years ago at Turkey Day.  The family stayed here at the house to cheer when I ran past at 2.75 miles so that was fun to see the grandkids and granddogs. I love seeing the crowds along main street and actually the whole way around the lake.  It’s awesome that so many people participate in cheering us on and playing music on loudspeakers.  Just when I needed a boost someone would call my name I had fun waving and greeting people I knew.

The last time I ran this race with my son I was amazed that everyone was standing up and clapping for us, then I realized that the guy running with the flag was just behind us! 

DH took a couple of pictures but they are not the best.  I spent the rest of the day watching the turkeys race down main street and watching the parade with the grandkids.  I'm babysitting while the parents go to the Hairball concert. 

Starr

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Oh holly, what a blessing to have the clouds lift up above the golden birches just right for a view towards, is it Mt. McKinley? There’s so much to see up there. Isn’t that roly-poly, roller-coaster of an out-and-back up on the top of Ester Dome something, especially when you get to the end and realize you have turn around to do it all over again?  For us downhill skiers in those days, though, nothing compared in any marathon I’ve ever done since then to The Chute, usually way out-of-control, arms flailing, barely making the left turn at the bottom to get into the golden birches again. Erika must have been flying to PR.  Not counting it would be like not counting a home run because it’s a different ball park.  The Equinox is the Equinox and, just as a home run isn't easy, neither is the Equinox and it never will be. I bet it’s the same as a 3:20 or 3:30 on tomorrow's 2% descending grade at the Tunnel. 
              Somehow, I have a feeling wildchild would have been right at home too.   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome back to the races, Starr.  I love 'em for all the incentive I never seem to have on my own.

Mariposai - the smoke from all the fires over there does not sound good at all, especially with asthma and now that the governor has issued an emergency declaration.  Maybe tell ‘em you’re working from home on your computer and bring it over here on the other side of the Cascades where all we have so far is brilliant, orange sunrises and sunsets.
                Incidentally, I was talking to the 24-yo son of a friend whose weekend hiking plans got thwarted by the fires so he decided this evening, with less than 12 hours to go before tomorrow morning’s start, to do the Lite Tunnel Marathon too.  He was out-of-town all summer and couldn’t even remember the last time he went for a run, but I think it might have been the 5K we did together last September. I was afraid to tell him I’d already run a marathon and half mary this month when he said, “well, you don’t train that much either, you know.”   I hope his mother doesn’t find out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

DoppleBock

Nice - Nice - Nice on the equinox - Beautiful marathon

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Marathon Maniac #957

Great Job Star!

Tet - Erika was flying indeed!  When her DH (bless his heart) met me at mile 19.5 to take my heavy waistbelt, camera, gloves and extra shirt, he told me she was already done!   This didn't surprise me, though, not one bit.  That woman can run!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Congrats Erika, Holly, Carolyn and Starr!! Great races for all of you in your own right!

I'm up early this morning to get ready for the biggest run of this training cycle (though not my last long run) of 23 miles. Coaching issues aside, I'm feeling really good about the miles. I'm partnered up with a gentleman from my running club, an experienced marathoner at NYC and others, yet he's never run the route I've got planned out for us: over the George Washington Bridge and down the west side of Manhattan, then into the city proper to loop Central Park, then back up the way we came. Should be a lovely day for a run!