Masters Running

The countdown contiues: 12.31.13 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm glad you got the brakes fixed, Dave. Congrats on squeezing in that last mile to get over 1,000 for the year!

Congrats to you too, Tramps!

Nice work at the Y yesterday, Jlynne. Good choice with temps in the "minus" range.

I know there are quite a few NFLers here. Sorry to say that I completely lost interest a few years ago.

Breger, you're absolutely right: However you are going to race (run, racewalk, Gallowalk, etc.) you must do that in your training as well.

Wow, Mariposai and her RP made the earth move yesterday as she reached 1,800 for the year!

I hope your ankle is doing better, now that you're going a bit easier on it, Mustang Sally. Yes, there is definitely a learning curve for racewalking because it involves moving your body in ways that most of us are not familiar with or used to at all. Some people pick it up in a few weeks. Most people take a few months to get the basics down. Then it is a matter of constant refinement to improve efficiency and speed. If your mom is not interested in judged races, then mastering all the racewalking technique is not critical. For most people in that situation, I recommend they work on shorter strides (most walkers reach too far forward with their leading leg), quicker turnover, and keeping their arms bent at 90 degrees and using a fuller and more powerful arm swing than most people use. If you/she wants some more detail, let me know.

Nice post blood-letting run, Twocat. Its amazing how much of an impact that has on your body, isn't it?

Holly, I suspect that you make miracles happen more often than not. Glad you got to spend some quality phone time with DB.

I'm glad you had such a delightful time with the kids at the cabin, Enke, despite those pesky raccoons!

Hi Brian! I'm glad you are recovering from your injuries without needing surgery - that's a huge advantage. When I workout on ice, I also always think I'm making enough noise to wake the world. However, I'm sure that's more in my head than in reality.

We had an interesting conversation, with our 17 and 12 year-old nieces at dinner last night. We questioned whether rewarding all kids at sporting events is better or worse than letting them learn the lesson that, in life, people who perform better get rewarded better, and that it is not the end of the world if someone learns they are not the best at a particular sport, skill etc. The girls generally felt that rewarding everyone equally is not always the best approach.

6.8 racewalking miles in refreshing 8F temps this morning. There was no moon - just some wispy clouds with the brighter stars and planets showing through them. I had a good tempo workout, with each mile faster than the one before, mostly because I wanted to make sure I was working hard enough to keep my hands warm (which I was). My calf was fine, until I was stretching and it started twinging again. So I'd better back off again for a few days.

It may be too chilly to take the girls to see the fireworks at the beach tonight (they didn't pack warm enough clothes), so we may just have a low-key New Year's Eve in front of the fireplace in the den instead. I wonder if I'll make it to midnight this year?

Happy New Year, my friends!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Congrats to you too, Tramps!

Hmmmm...I had to go back to read my own post to see what might have prompted this!  Still not sure.  Shanahan firing?

Jay--the Pats dynasty in your backyard and no interest in football?  What is it, 13 straight years in the playoffs now?

Enke--sounds like a nice vacation.  Funny about the gun fire.  I crossed paths with about 10 hunters this morning heading into the woods.  Gunfire is part of the ambiance around here.

MS--ouch.  Hope the ankle is doing better.

Dave--in Alexandria, you're about an hour away from me.  We'll have to try coordinating a run on your next visit.

EZ 5 to wrap up the year.

Have a fun and safe celebration tonight.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning guys. Fireworks at the beach on New Year's Eve? Sounds like fun, Jay. I say bundle those girls up and take 'em!

What's on your agenda for tonight Tramps?

Up early and trying to do everything I can to blast this cold out of my lungs and head. It was 0° here at 4:45 (which is 12° warmer than yesterday - heat wave!) To the Y for 5.5 miles on the track and 30 minutes of legs/core work. My mileage this year is really pathetic but it is what it is and I'm just so happy to be running again.

Had two requests from each of my DS' to hang out with their kids so they could go out and celebrate New Year's Eve. Um, four kids age 4 and under? Overnight? And three of them not potty trained?  With me feeling carpy with a bad head cold for the last 4 days? I think I have to pass this time...

Happy new year everyone. Hope you celebrate just enough so you can all get up and run in the morning

Happy New Years Eve my friends!!

I read Twocat's post and FB post about his post- blood donation run and now am rethinking my plans ....I gave blood yesterday morning and plan on a very easy 4.6 today to get my year total up to 1200 and then was going to race The Hangover Classic 10k tomorrow in Salisbury.  Thinking tomorrow might be a run and not a race pace but we'll see!!

Have a wonderful day friends!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--I agree with JLynne.  Being rugged New Englanders, you should have plenty of extra warm clothes around.  I suppose ones that fit girls of that age might be pushing it, but you're not looking for high fashion.

And Jean--at least they didn't wait until the last minute to ask   Good for you to say no, too.  Stronger than I think I might be.

Tramps--I think it's actually 13 years with a winning record.  They missed out on the playoffs (with an 11-5 record) the year Brady was hurt.  And yes, we are spoiled, especially when you look at all the soap operas around.  The team from Washington comes to mind.

I'm enjoying my last vacation day of the year.  Managed to take off 5 of the last 6 working days of the year.  Still managed to bill almost 2500 hours for the year with all the travel and field work.  What's REALLY nice is that the owners actually show appreciation for the effort.  in appreciation of the vacation day, I slept in until 8am and then went out for my last run of the year.  5 miles gives me 1001 for the year.  Pretty exciting for me.  When I got home and told DW I made it, she said "wow, I bet they'll shoot off fireworks and drop a big ball to celebrate tonight".  I guess I MAY have mentioned it a few times previously.

Brian, if you're recovering from all of that and running again, I think you may still be BTY.  Good luck on the continuing recovery.

Wishing everyone a very happy and safe New Year's Eve and continuing on for the rest of the coming year.  I'm very thankful to be part of such a fine community of folks who just happen to be runners and walkers.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Tramps--I think it's actually 13 years with a winning record.  They missed out on the playoffs (with an 11-5 record) the year Brady was hurt.  And yes, we are spoiled, especially when you look at all the soap operas around.  The team from Washington comes to mind.

Yeah...that's what I meant.    I stand corrected.

If I cared more about the team from Washington, I wouldn't find the Dan Snyder show so amusing.  It's the craziest sports organization I've ever heard of.  Something like seven coaches in 15 years?  Nothing dysfunctional about that!

Congrats on the 1000.  Your DW has a cutting sense of humor.  I like her.

Jynne--we're winging it.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

We had an interesting conversation, with our 17 and 12 year-old nieces at dinner last night. We questioned whether rewarding all kids at sporting events is better or worse than letting them learn the lesson that, in life, people who perform better get rewarded better, and that it is not the end of the world if someone learns they are not the best at a particular sport, skill etc. The girls generally felt that rewarding everyone equally is not always the best approach.

Jay

Girls always were smarter than boys.  People keep score all their lives. Might as well learn it now, another form of specificity of exercise.

Charity event in Dallas today, Loop the Lake 9-miler around White Rock Lake in support of "Marathon Kids".  Not a race, just a friendly get-together of runners who felt like running 9+ miles on a cold morning at 7.  It had a race "feel" to it, but with conversation. I ran alone as I would in a race and ran well, but mistakenly cut off a portion of the course at the end, following the runners ahead of me.  Breakfast tacos, door prizes, charity donations and a great post-run party.  made me feel good about ending my year of running on a high note, giving something to others.  happy new year everyone.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I wonder if I'll make it to midnight this year?

I usually don’t….

Jlynne – good choice, given the givens.

Stumpy – nice 1000!

DS is going down the street to hang out with his friends tonight at one boy’s house.  DD has been invited to a birthday slumber party with her friend on the next block.  Then DD asks if I want to help the other mom chaperone the slumber party…….10 or 11 crazed preteen girls staying up till the wee hours of the morning vs. quiet night at home with a movie rental?  I’m pretty clear on what MY preference is……

6 miles for me this morning in 22 windy degrees.  Seems so much warmer than some of you, but that face-freezing wind was gusting fairly fierce.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

6 miles for me this morning in 22 windy degrees.  Seems so much warmer than some of you, but that face-freezing wind was gusting fairly fierce.

I had the same temps but did a one-way run and took the T home so I didn't have to face the wind.  checked out the BAA ice sculpture logo at copley square, but it was covered until later tonight.  they had pix on tv.

we'll be at home with our blini, caviar, champagne etc - and about 50% of the time am awake (or wakened by DH)

have a happy, safe new years eve and wonderful new year everyone!

marj

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I got off work early--woo hoo!  Let the party begin!  Except...I have no place to go...

Brian, if you're recovering from all of that and running again, I think you may still be BTY.  Good luck on the continuing recovery.

I was going to say the exact same thing...seriously.

Here I am...off early and I'm taking a rest day.  I'm messing my whole schedule up because of a race I want to do, this weekend.  Dumb.

Why do I have this feeling Holly will be chaperoning a party, tonight?

So...last week, Ryan came home and said somebody backed into his car while he was parked on the side of the road...damaging his rear bumper.  The lady who hit him said nobody ever parks there and it was too dark to see.  Last night, I came home to find Eric's car parked in the driveway...with his rear bumper barely hanging on.  I came in and asked him what happened.  He said that he backed into somebody...because it was too dark to see.  It's funny until I see my new insurance rates.

Okay...I guess I'd better get going.  I might check in later.  Be safe!!!!

Ended up with 5.5 easy miles today with a friend for another friend -- one of our good friends is battling a mitochondrial disease and she turned 50 today, still running, doing yoga and living life as large as her tiny body could possibly live -- she is also donating money to her favorite 2 charities for everyone who ran today for her!!  She is an inspiration for sure!!

I don't think I will make it to midnight tonight - will be the first time in years that I can remember  not making it, but I just dont feel like it!!  DH and  are going to a friend's house party for a little while but looks like we will have an empty house so we are going to take advantage of the hot tub and the quiet!!

Have a happy, safe night my friends and may 2014 bring you much love and happiness!!

denise

BTY, "hi".  Good job on the 1000 miles for Dave and stumpy.  Nice long run, mari.

This morning, it was about 10° and the roads were icy.  It was another 8 miles on the TM at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

for folks not on FB - Boston first night

Happy New Year's Eve! May you all have a happy, injury free and speedy 2014.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

janie b good

Happy New Year to everyone!  I always make it to midnight.  go me!

Plan on posting more here at RA for 2014.  just signed up for the Capital City 1/2 Marathon in Cbus, Ohio, in May 2014.  Please send prayers that I stay healthy.  I seem to have bad luck with bronchitis in May.  *fingers crossed*

Congrats to Ribs and The Saint on their wedding anniversary (I know I'm late to the party!).

Be Safe Tonight Everyone!  xoxo, janie

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.