Masters Running

Saturday's Daily 2.28.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice indoor and outdoor workouts, with and without spikes, yesterday!

We had some select relatives come in from out of town Thursday evening. Yesterday, we had a day-long meeting to discuss various aspects of our business and one of DW's sisters' social media consulting business. It was a very productive day, with some key issues brought to the table, and some very good suggestions/recommendations for addressing those issues. Once couple had to get on the road very early this morning, so I skipped my workout to help see them safely off. And, since I feel like I'm still getting back into working out on a regular basis, a rest day probably isn't all that bad an idea. I know it is my last chance to get in some mileage this month, but nothing can change the fact that I've had my lowest mileage month in a long time, so I'll just look forward instead of looking back.

The 10-miler next weekend that I had registered for has been officially canceled (too many roads narrowed by huge snowbanks). The company that organized it is offering some discounts on other races that they organize. Since the race had a "no refund" policy, I think their offer is quite reasonable. I know that a lot of people, regardless of the race policy, expect full refunds or free entry into another race if the race is canceled. As a race organizer, I know deals like that can be bloody expensive, and shouldn't be expected, especially when the race waiver clearly states that entry fees are non-refundable. It is great when a canceled race offers a generous 'make-good,' but that only makes it difficult for the rest of us who can't afford to be so generous if faced with a similar situation.

Keep smiling; have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

with getting in shape in the two recent 42.195km walkathons with the 72-yo managing officer of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club and the three DNF's since being here in Japan now for nearly two months on a never-ending project equaling the three DNF's of the last 38 years (1979/2006/2014), I'm ready to break seven hours in the Joyful's monthly Getsurei Marathon today at the Hiratsuka Grand Park, their same end-of-the-month marathon that MikeMP won outright (by 1min/3sec) with his 3:33 at the end of January.  However, I'm bitterly disappointed in a vision that somehow seemed very real that it turned out to be a 7:13:18. oh well.

I think runners who pay entry fees that can't be used because of race conditions or their own issues of one-kind-or-the-other appreciate the kind of gesture, or any gesture other than "your tough luck," your race company is offering, jay.  Unfortunately, the more expensive a race gets, the less likely it seems to be.  oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - what Tet said.  I think.

Tet - well done on completing it, even if you didn't quite make your goal time.

Wildchild's chart of primes made me laugh, but also helped remind me.  Unfortunately, I looked at my log wrong, and chose the wrong goal number.  I looked again and had to go back out to the TM for .2 miles more. 

Due to single digit temps every morning, I chose to do my 20 mile LR tomorrow, the only day where the temps are supposed to start in the 20's.  Unfortunately the forecast has now changed to add 3-6" of snow arriving overnight and into the morning.  Drat.

4.8 miles for me on the TM, plus 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

Jay, I agree...there is only so much a race director can do, what with the "sunk costs" of an event.  I appreciate any gesture on the part of the director to lessen the sting of losing the entry fee.  I do feel badly, though, for those for whom a race registration represents a bigger financial reach.

14 miles on the treadmill this morning, a quick shower, and then off to Boston for a haircut.  My hairstylist is on Boylston Street, just 2.5 blocks past the Boston Marathon finish line.  Every year, she has to work hard to re-convince the Vidal Sassoon corporate offices that they need to close the Boston salon on Marathon Monday.  It's been made easier by the police requesting that businesses close now because of security concerns.  She always has a lot of fun planning my "marathon haircut" and likes to pretend that it will make me faster on race day...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

...mornin' guys//...........first PoolRun in 2-weeks

it made my Leg feel WONDERFUL

.............why do I not remember this??

oh yeah, I'M AN IDIOT////////

===========

30-min pr with belt

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Good to hear TW!

You are right Jay.  Because both the Dallas Marathon and Ft. Worth's Cowtown give their net proceeds to charity, the local runners pretty much get it about the cancellations and there are hardly any complaints.

Well Tet, at least you went for it.  Good for you.

Very bad footing today for the Saint and me.  I think we went out too early, as the sidewalks in the park were way too icy to run on, and on the dirt trails we sank into puddles.  We quit after 1.25 miles, but it's always better than a zero and I liked that we went out and tried it.

Now a fire in the fireplace today and I'll cook on the grill for dinner, a smoked meatloaf inspired by EK.  Spareribs

So sorry my posting has been so spotty -- still lurking when I can!

Bradford 6k road race for me this morning - 30:06 good enough for 1st in AG award but my heel was not happy   It was tender after mile 2 and by mile 3 it was starting to scream at me, but it was a down hill .5 finish so I just booked it to the end.  Ice and rest will be my friends - guess I know it's not quite ready to push outside yet.

Already posted on FB, but Robin I LOVE your haircut!!  Wish I was brave enough to go that short but it looks SO STUNNING on you!!

denise

Dave59

Summer is here. 28° and sunny!  I ran 5.33 miles along the rail trail. I was supposed to meet a few guys this morning at for a run at the nature center, but Cindy slept in way too long so I had to choose between breakfast with her or running with them.  I chose breakfast with the wife.

I have a desire to run at least 100 miles each month.  Last year I only missed in March when I was sick.  This year started tough because of some hip pain.  I literally had to limp to 100 in January which then got me off to a slow start in February.  13 days ago I looked at my log to see what it would take to make it.  I needed to average 5.5 miles per day over the last 13 days of February.  Today's run put me at 100.76.  Some sweaty treadmill runs and some below zero outdoor runs combined to make it.

Henrun

Denise, way to go despite your painful heel. Hope it clears up soon.

We waited to go out until the temp hit the "tropica" 20's with a bright sun. I counted at least 4 runners in shorts. We ran Heartbreak Hill with hordes of Boston runners. I did 4 miles. Marj was ahead of me and caught me at the 3 mile mark.

I was wearing my 2002 Boston jacket and received many "good job" and "looking good" comments. It obviously was because I was a vintage runner wearing a vintage jacket.

wildchild

Carolyn

I have a desire to run at least 100 miles each month.   Today's run put me at 100.76. 

Hey -- since 101 is a prime number, you should make that your monthly goal!  And with rounding, you made it this month!   (or you can go run another 0.24 miles!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Hey -- since 101 is a prime number, you should make that your monthly goal!  And with rounding, you made it this month!   (or you can go run another 0.24 miles!)

I was planning on rounding up on the monthly total thread to get the prime number.  I figure there has been some pre-race warm ups that I haven't recorded that is at least .24

wildchild

Carolyn

I ran 5.6 miles in screw shoes, to finish the month on a prime number! 

I don't remember ever having a race canceled that I paid for.  If it was truly out of the RD's control, like bad weather, I'd understand, but sometimes races are canceled for lame reasons, and then I'd want my money back.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

tet, nice marathon even if you didn't quite make your goal.  deez, way to go on 1st in AG in your race.

Nice long runs for Twocat and DrRobin.  Good job on the speedwork for Holly and mari.

It was another single digit day when I was ready to run this morning.  I did 8 miles on the TM at an 11:01 pace.  If I'd waited a few hours, I could have gone outside in decent temperatures.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

I bet Robin not only has a fast hairstyle but one of the best on the course also.

6 miles with David today and then another 1 mile on the trails with the dogs. another gorgeous spring like day here, although you can feel a bit of chill in the air when the breeze blows. Tomorrow should be nice also and then rain returns for a few days, but back to mid 60's after that. since we are running a 5K next Saturday, I'll gladly take this warmer weather. i remember running that 5k last year and it was so cold out.

tonight we are going to go see McFarland. One of his XC teammates saw it already and said it was real good.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

With flight delays and an hour drive from the airport, I didn't get into bed until after 1am this morning.  Sleeping in felt like the right thing to do.  I did replace the belts on our washing machine AND replaced the end on one of our cable connections, but not terribly aerobic.

On the way back from picking up the new belts, I scouted a park where I've run before and the trail looks nicely packed, so I think I'll head there tomorrow. I talked with a walker who had on yaktraks and she said they were just right on the packed powder.  I had one run outside on 2/1 and that was it for the month.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.