Masters Running

Mild Monday, 4.13.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, congrats (and Thank You) for giving back at the half yesterday. Racers rarely realize it because they are only there for a couple 'o seconds, but water stops can be one of the busiest places on a race course: Filling and handing out (make sure you hold the cups right!) and then picking up hundreds, if not thousands of cups, and encouraging racers all the time. Makes me tired just thinking about it! Again - thank you.

Evanflein: More snow? Say it ain't so!

Tselbes, congrats to you too for a well-done run in a tough race, and a new PR! Have a great time in Italy!

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon with a backpack leaf blower, trying to clear the parts of the yard that are free of snow. I moved a heck of a lot of leaves and debris, but I haven't carried that much weight for that long in quite a while, and my body is still complaining about it (I guess I don't do enough upper body work). So I'm just as glad that today is a SRD.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I am paying for overdoing everything the past few days but I did manage to force myself to run 5 this morning.  I have got to try to keep at least one wheel on the track.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin' Jay and everyone!

Melt, melt, Alaska snow!  (and all other snow, for that matter, as I am sure there are still clunks of it 'round and about.)

Jay, the lady who won the whole 10K walker division is 53 year old Sharon Haley, in 1:07:26, a 10:52 pace.  I saw her, as I'd walked back out on the edge of the course to wait for DH.  She has great form (from my very rudimentary understanding) so I called out and said something like that; she looked up, seemingly a little surprised, caught my eye and smiled.  Ladies took the top 5 spots overall.   Dh was the 2nd guy and 7th out of 41 overall with his 1:18.   I don't think I have ever run in such a large 10K.  There were 728 in the runners division.

I believe that many years from now, we will learn that there are parallels to the Jimmy Piersall story and the story of one of the present day Red Sox pitchers.  Sadly.

So Jordan Spieth seems like a sweety, in addition to being a pretty good golfer.  isn't that most refreshing?  Not saying pro athletes should be role models, but it certainly is appreciated when they have some qualities you can admire in addition to their talent.  What accent is that, Ribs?  'cause it doesn't sound exactly Texan.

I'm actually about 90% packed.  Older age has taught me I enjoy this week lots more when I can just enjoy it and not be doing too many last minute errands, tasks, etc.  Plus I just have 3 nights at home when we get back before leaving for Big Sur.  Thinking about getting a cheap Eclipse for music/pictures.  (I imagine listening to the Jupiter Symphony or Trout Quintet while gazing out at the Pacific.....) Anyone have any experience with an Eclipse?

In a sign of how far behind the times am I, I just started reading Gone Girl.  Not going to see the movie before I read the book.

Yesterday, ran some bridges.  This am, 7 slow and easy ones.

Say Kevin, think we're ok getting our racing bibs the day of the 5K?    Think I'll go with the My Soxy Feet sox for it.  Cool Sox   I have a pair Melissa designed for Boston, "United We Stand."

grins,

A

ps: is there a way to use Duck Tape to keep one wheel on the track?  Maybe you could tape your shoulder to the wheel....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, people who are born and raised in the city of Dallas do not have a Texas accent.  Spieth sounds just like any other native Dallas-ite.

And sports could use a positive brand image like him, given all the bad news we get from the other sports. Mike Golic this morning on Mike and Mike made this point today. He said his sport (football) has really taken a beating especially in domestic abuse, drugs and so on.

Pouring rain but no lightning, so the Saint and I did a slow 2 miler at the park, then I did a stretch at the Y.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I tried posting last night after we got back to San Francisco and--poof--it was gone.  It was late so I just turned off my iPad and went to bed.

Okay--Debbie is telling me it's time for breakfast--I'll get back to you later.  But I did finish my marathon in Nevada.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Monday, all.

Our start of spring celebration consisted of getting all the front porch wicker out of the shed and onto said porch.  Looks a lot nicer than empty except for snow shovels.  Sunday's run ended up being shorter than planned--apparently, my training level is such that 7 miles on Saturday makes for very dead legs on Sunday.   anyway, 6.5 on Sunday and SRD today.  Oh well, I'm in taper mode now for my 5K .

Amy, if you want a small intimate 10K, you should try the Ukreps in Richmond.  They register over 40K and have well over 35K actually run it.  IT's basically an out and back along the road that DW's cousin lives on, so I watch the elites go up one side and down the other, THEN I head to the starting line.  And I hope that we can pick up race day--don't want to go in twice.  Oh, and Craig (aka Pro from Dover) is making sounds like he might come run too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Did 2 this morning on another beautiful spring day. Ran on our local reservoir which has finally dried up after this winter's onslaught. There are still small piles of snow in shady areas nearby where the plows piled them- but they should be gone if this weather continues.

Aamos, as a retired shrink I can surmise that the aforementioned pitcher has psychological issues but not as major as those of Jimmy Piersall. Hopefully the team is aware of this.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - rest that back.

Mike - can we look forward to a race report?

5 easy paced miles for me to day in 55 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Yes, Mikey, how about a report on that Master's Award and just barely over 3 hour marathon?  ...foot tapping.....

Yay, Craig....o boy howdy!

Yes, Henry, one hopes......

Oh, and ribs, I thought he sounded as if he had a bit of an English accent.  But I was prolly just tired.....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Yesterday was our first real day of Spring and, like some others, I had a hard time trying to not overdo it. In the AM I went out to the park for the club's monthly "Bagel day" run only to find that hardly anyone showed up. Hmmm.... In any case, I was only there to walk -- still not running for a while yet -- so I would have been on my own anyway. At least there were plenty of bagels & coffee when I got back!

In the PM I got my bike out -- the last of the three to be ridden this year -- and went out for a 20-mile ride. It was absolutely perfect in bike shorts and a long-sleeve jersey. I even got the slight start of a biker's tan on my legs! Maybe later this week I'll stretch it out to 30 miles or so.

It was nice again this morning, but I just went in for my weekly spinning class. However, I cut it short at about 20 minutes due to some protesting by my knee, which I unfortunately managed to twist a bit yesterday. And for my next injury...

I hope the rest of you are off to a good start to the week and remain injury-free!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

We biked down to Fenway Park (6 mile round trip) one hour before opening day game. Unfortunately no one gave us any free tickets. It was quite festive and my first outdoor bike ride of the season. Go Sox!!

TammyinGP

went out for a 6 mile run on my lunch hour.

thanks for all the congrats on my sons accomplishment over the wknd. He says he still can't believe he's going to Chicago . . me neither!

and now I really am going to have to find him a cell phone that won't be stupid on price. I definitely don't want to not be able to reach him for a whole week while he's over 2000 miles away.

Tammy

I'm afraid to take my bike out on the open road.  There isn't enough room for the me and the cars considering how ungraceful I am.

and now I really am going to have to find him a cell phone that won't be stupid on price. I definitely don't want to not be able to reach him for a whole week while he's over 2000 miles away.

Tammy - Tracphone.  The initial phone is around $15-$20 and can be purchased Walmart, Target, etc.  Then all you have to do is put at least $20 (60 min) on every 90 days and you have great service.  I think they've come out with nicer ones than my flip phone, but you can do all sorts of non-contract stuff - buying multiple months at a time, extra minutes, etc.  This site always has all the promo codes that are supposed to work.  Sometimes you have to try a couple before you hit on one.  Also, basically everyone phone comes with double minutes, meaning every time you buy minutes - e.g. 60 - you automatically get doubles minutes - e.g. 120.  That includes the minutes that come with the promo code.

Congratulations on a great race, MIke!  Woot woot!!

I was very happy to see Jordan Spieth win the Masters.  I echo everyone who says he seems like a great ambassador for sports.

Had a nice weekend that started with my being a course marshall for a 5.5 and 2 mile trail race on Saturday, followed by a fantastic service at church Saturday evening, and ended with my dad having dinner with us for his 74 birthday on Sunday.  I made some awesome chocolate chocolate chip cookies that we had for dessert with the vanilla ice cream he brought.  All in all, a very nice weekend.

Got in an hour of stat biking on Saturday, 40 min last night, and about 45 min of core/ST this morning.  Will try a 3-mile run/walk after work and see how things are feeling.  I have a PT appt tomorrow that I'm looking forward to.  Hopefully I can get some answers on the hammies.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I'll look into that Leslie. Thanks. I would like him to have a phone with ability to take decent photos. I want him to be able to pics in Chicago w/o having to carry around an extra camera.

Tammy