Masters Running

Friday 12/21/12 Daily (Read 425 times)

OK I'll start, I Woke up to wind and rain this morning, not a snowflake to be seen!  I am really pleased with that since it means we can run on the trails this weekend without worrying about slipping and sliding.

Sarge – It’s great to be back, and happy to see you are running so well.

Bill – Isn’t it nice when these youngsters think they are going to smoke you and not only do they not smoke you but you either keep up with them or pass them.  I just love the looks on their faces sometimes.  Nice run by the way.

Ribs – Very happy to hear the good news, I would concur that we are all very fortunate to be able to run at all. By the way I am sure there are a lot of runners that would love to have your “unable to break 1:50” half marathon time for 2012! 

Stumpy – I remember meeting you on the T and yes that was in fact at the 2008 Women’s Olympic Trials – watching Joan Benoit Samuelson run 2:49:08 and setting a new American Record for women 50-54 was just awe inspiring.  Our group from Maine really enjoyed that day

OrangeMat – I got my e-mail from NYRR yesterday and I guess that was all I was really looking for.  So now I am going to wait to make my decision until after I race the Ocala Half Marathon on January 20th to make my decision.  If I can run a qualifier then I will ask for a refund (heck it’s about $200) just not sure I have a 1:33 in me yet if at all!  Otherwise I will have to make a decision before January 25th as to whether or not I want to run next year and pay another $200 give or take.  Still I did sign up and agreed to their no-refund policy so I am not complaining.  I am really glad they gave everyone a three year window so that people who travel from afar can take a few years if necessary to save up etc.

CNYrunner – Karin always good see you, I am truly inspired by you and your natural ability.

Mike E – Great run last night – I too would much rather run outside, especially when doing these longer runs, but just too dangerous in the evenings where I am.  The Planet Fitness I go to just got all new equipment including treadmills.  They are really nice except that we no longer have fans on any of them, and it is so incredibly hot in the gym and I sweat like you just wouldn’t believe. If I am doing a hard workout or a long run on the treadmill, my sweat ends up on both treadmills beside me too…I always try to make space but some days it is just too busy.

Twocat – I remember that meet up in New York City.   We met up with a good group that day and really had fun.

Erika – I do not envy you running in those frigid temps!  It’s plenty cold enough here in Maine thank you very much!  And you are one of the RA’ers that I have had the pleasure to see several times.  I remember a couple of years ago after finishing Boston running into you near the buses.

I just finished replacing a friend’s battery in her Garmin 350, good as new!  I replaced mine earlier this year after finding that I could buy an iPod Mini batter on line for less than $5 including shipping.  Garmin wants almost $100 to trade you for a reconditioned one.  So for $5 and a couple of hours of my time this works just fine.  I now get almost 10 hours on a full charge…I hope never to need that much time in a race or a training run!

Last night – 10 miles easy start with progressively faster finish – 1:23:27 – (8:21)

9:00 – 8:59 – 8:59 – 8:51 – 8:40 – 8:12 – 7:55 – 7:44 – 7:00

FIVE DAYS OFF after today - woo hoo! Big grin

Slo

I just finished replacing a friend’s battery in her Garmin 350, good as new!  I replaced mine earlier this year after finding that I could buy an iPod Mini batter on line for less than $5 including shipping.  Garmin wants almost $100 to trade you for a reconditioned one.  So for $5 and a couple of hours of my time this works just fine.  I now get almost 10 hours on a full charge…I hope never to need that much time in a race or a training run!

My garmin battery died about 2 years ago. Then it was $75 for the exchange, while I liked it it wasn't worth $75 to replace.

Do you have a link for this Ipod Battery...I'm interested.

It's a winter wonderland here in the midwest. Pretty trecherous yesterday, the wind howled all night long.

Marathon Maniac #957

, the wind howled all night long.

Here, too, 50mph winds howling like crazy, but not much snow at all, to the disappointment of DD.  (She still has not had a chance to use the sled  she got for Christmas last year.)

10 miles for me on the TM this morning watching Kill Bill.    meh, meh

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...yeah,

we dodged the Snow too.......Wind was BAD all afternoon and night........

=======

don't

get your hopes up,

but

I may accidently be Getting Smarter.

.......found out

25-up and 25-down on the x-bike

repeated for 5-min

makes my leg stop hurting.

.......will try this theory out

again tonite and Saturday.

...............this may

get me published

in the

DumbA$$RunnersWeekly Edition...

...................good running guys................and yes, I am also the editor......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

delicate flower

'Morning, gang! Free office breakfast for me this morning.  Bacon, eggs, coffee cake, coffee.  YUMMEH!!  I went back for coffee refills but they ran out.  Damn coffee hoards.

8.4 miles last night at 8:55 pace.  Easy.

8.3 miles of treadmill speedwork this morning.  7:23 avg pace.  Good run.

Enjoy your Friday!

<3

Tramps

Wet and windy here as well.  Out for a raw and windy 7-miler.

Heading out for an End of the World / Winter Solstice party tonight.  Either way, we've got it covered.

Be safe. Be kind.

My garmin battery died about 2 years ago. Then it was $75 for the exchange, while I liked it it wasn't worth $75 to replace.

Do you have a link for this Ipod Battery...I'm interested.

It's a winter wonderland here in the midwest. Pretty trecherous yesterday, the wind howled all night long.

Slo - Here is a link to the last one I bought on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I51X0E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I just checked I paid .01 for this one and $5.99 to ship it, mine cost me less than $5 a couple of months ago.  But they seem to change regulary and you can find several vendors selling them.  The important thing is that the Garmin battery is 3.7 V  - 720 mAh – 2.7Wh and the iPod Mini battery
                is 3.7 V – 1300 mAh – 4.8 Wh and it fits pretty nicely.

I also did up a little word document with photos and everything if you message me with an e-mail address I would be happy to send it to you in either a word document or a pdf.  Pretty simple repair compared to shipping it back and spending the $80 - $100 for Garmin to do it.

C-R

Missed the last couple of days dailies. Too much on my plate.

We got some pretty fierce winds in the area. At one point I got a calll from a neighbor to let me know the head off my snoopy Christmas decoration was on it's way to Westfield (town to the north) at a high rate of speed. I managed to catch it. I considered logging it as interval work but decided not. BTW - it was metal. Yeah a serious howler.

I actually started P90X last night after my run. Um yeah. Hard to believe I've let myself go that much. Oh well Rome wasn't built in a day so this will take time too. I plan to continue my running streak and add P90x at least every other day. Early New Year's resolution.

School was on 2 hour delay so I managed to get the drive shoveled and a little run this morning. Bigger one tonight assuming roads are ok. If not, the treadmill calls.

Nice link maine - good to know. Oh and one of our kitten's name in Mainer (he looks like a Maine raccoon in markings). His nickname is Trouble Mainer.

Cheers everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Ran 3.  It was very icy.  I was lucky to make it back without pulling or breaking something.  I did start developing an idea to combine a jogging stroller with a lawn fertilizer.  Then I could fill the fertilizer with salt and spread it in front of me as I run.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

With December looking like the second zero mileage month of the year, it's starting to look like I better make some big make-up plans for 2013.  Any ideas?  No particular reason but maybe something to do with 70.

In remembrance of last week’s massacre of 20 innocent lives and their six teachers, one of my grade school classmates send around to our high school reunion list of about 80 of us left out of 100 the poem “At School-Close” by John G. Whittier that was included in a little hand-made, ribbon-festooned, remembrance booklet our first grade teacher had sent home with each of us on May 26, 1950.  I have no recollection of it but remember our beloved Mrs. Belcher as putting  a string around anyone's loose baby tooth (including me several times) to tie to the door knob for quick removal when it was quickly opened.

Of those of us who are left, I’m the only one who seems to be running though. 

The poem included the lines:

And prompt in duty; heed the deep
                      ..low voice of conscience; through the ill
                      And discord round about you, keep
                      ..Your faith in human nature still.

Happy Winter Solstice Erika and Rhoon

t

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Tet.

Maine, you may be able to retire if you know the secret to replacing Garmin batteries inexpensively. I have a sense word will get around after today's post.

Another 6 today at 32 degrees, but no wind and very sunny and pleasant.  6 more tomorrow gives me my 40 quota.  Spareribs

Wild wind and pelting rain here in Western, MA---if this was snow it'd be several feet at this rate. yowsa.....flurries in the forecast for the weekend, but doesn't look like a White Christmas. ah well.

That was wonderful Tet. Thank You. One of my elementary school classmates used our third grade class photo for her holiday card and sent it to us. There are lots of big grins, plaid, and HUGE glasses. Made me grin and get teary.

Got out for an easy run with Hudson clipped to my side. This was before the winds were howling or I saw any errant Christmas decorations fly by. 3.8 miles at Hudson's stop and sniff pace.

Maine, you may be able to retire if you know the secret to replacing Garmin batteries inexpensively. I have a sense word will get around after today's post.

Ribs - I can't take all the credit, I "stole" the idea from another on-line blog I found after searching for a way to change the batteries in a Garmin 305.  It is certainly a viable solution for anyone that likes their Garmin205 or 305 and doesn't want to spend a lot of money.  Wink

Bushrat Runner

It has been a strange winter for me. Our kids are at that active phase where a goodly portion of our time is allocated to their activities, and I'm finding that my pattern of previous years running during the week is hard to keep up with. So I've settled for weekend and holiday running, walking during the week because I can get out the door without extra changes of clothes and showers and get some good outside time, and swimming once a week(ish...if possible...). 

Since the kids are in swimming, we've been spending a lot of time at the pool. This has been true for a few years for my wife, but I've been training to be a USASwimming official, and this year they asked me to help coach once a week, so I get to spend Thursday afternoon teaching better swimmers than I how to swim better...it's working, but it does sound odd, doesn't it. 

Usually we stay and swim a lap swim in the evenings after my coaching day, but last night it wasn't to be. I was requested to help in a scrimmage against the high school basketball team. The travel costs have become very high, and with school athletic association realignments, the teams now play very few actual games, so they were looking for some practice in game environments. 

I used to actually be a good basketball player, I'm 6'4" and much more of a sprinter and jumper than distance runner by genetics. But it is amazing how sprinting and jumping start to sound dangerous. I haven't actually played basketball for a few years that I can recall, mostly because open gym is another drive to Naknek for an unspecified level of exercise depending on how much you get to play, so I am pretty rusty. I did have one goal though...not to get injured. 

So far, so good. I'm up today and while I'm definitely sore, everything is working. Whew. 

It's a good thing, too, because I'm going to be going on a solstice camping trip tonight with three other fools...I mean hardy souls...

We are camping barely away from home, but they wanted to go so we're going. It is -19F as I type this, and supposed to reach a balmy high today of +4F, followed by a night of around -10F. I will report back and give an update on frostbite, missing nose ends, and other sundry potential interests. But right now, I am still in shock that anybody wanted to go. I usually find myself the only idiot...I mean person who likes doing silly stuff like this...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I usually find myself the only idiot...I mean person who likes doing silly stuff like this...

it's okay troy, it happens after too many winters (but I think you're already pretty bad)..

i never did succumb to my friends' siimilar overnights on New Year's Eve.

maybe erika can humor you better than we can.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)