Masters Running

Injury update, Please Advise (Read 315 times)

umwb

Hello Everyone I just got back from the Doc's office, I went to see him about my injured leg, he has ordered an MRI which I should get in about a week or so, He believes I tore the meniscus on the inside of my knee. Although since it has gotten somewhat better since Sunday he is hopeful that it is a small tear. Smile This is where my frustration lies, This Dr. is anti running through and through, so it his hard for me to have a conversation with him where running is concerned. I asked him today if I could continue running when this heals, his answer was no, I dont want you running period. because of the knee? I asked, his answer was there's to much pounding nobody should run. Shocked So my question to you my friends is this, have any of you had, or know of anyone who has had this type of injury and made a full recovery and continued to run? is this a fairly common injury? How can I find information on recovery and prevention of reinjury? Thanks
    When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !
    TammyinGP

I don't know the answer to your question but I would suggest finding a doc that is not the "anti-running nazi". It is one thing to be told that YOU shouldn't run because of a particular injury that YOU have, but to hear that NO ONE should run because of the pounding on your body, is something that would be enough to make me want to find a new doctor, or second opinion by a sports doc.

Tammy

umwb

Thanks Tammy, I've been hesitant in changing Doctors because my wife and kids like him so much, Maybe what I can do is get a referal to a sports Dr. and then take the results of the MRI to him. ( or her )
        evanflein

Yeah, Oogly. What Tammy said. There are plenty of athletic runner-type physicians out there so there's no reason to go to someone like that. Old notions die hard, and some people (who should know better) really do seem to believe that. As for running after a meniscus tear, sure. There's all different degrees of severity for this, of course. My DH had his torn badly playing basketball and had to have it cleaned up and stitched back together in parts. Pretty extensive. He can run now, but doesn't much. He's got other knee issues going on that aren't necessarily due to that injury (he's had no shortage of injuries over the years, I think dealing with a cumulative effect now). Good luck, I hope it's not severe, and find a new doc.
            I agree with the idea to find an orthopedist, preferably from a sports medicine practice that understands the quality of life issue. I have had two back surgeries, first when I was 30, then 39. I also tore both ACLs, and with the first at least there was also a meniscus tear. I don't know how serious yours is compared to mine, but after ACL reconstruction (I was maybe 38 -- it was a bad year) I was sent back out the the soccer pitch and played a good many years on that. After my second ACL tear (maybe I was 46?), I decided not to go through the rehab so stopped playing soccer. Yadda yadda yadda -- fast forward and here I am, running since I was 48. I will admit that after the first back surgery even the sports guy said I should never run (or play basketball, hah! I'm 5' 6") because my back was a mess. I saw the same surgeon for something else recently, reminded him of that conversation, told him how many miles a week I run, and he thought that was great. Upshot is, you know your own body, what you can handle and what you can't. The doctor sees you for, what, 15 minutes, and tells you what you can and can't do? And this guy just has a thing about running. Anyway, best of luck with this -- and you'll make the right decision.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hill Runner

UMWB, when I responded to your first thread I was hesitant to play doctor but I suspected a torn miniscus...sorry to hear the news but wait & see what the results of the MRI are... I was diagnosed with a compound tear in my miniscus about 6 or 7 years ago when I was a weekend runner. I had the same pain on inside of the knee. The doctor suggested surgery but when I found out that they cut out part of your miniscus, I declined to do the surgery. Instead, I never went back to him and just let it heal by itself. It was painful and took about 9 months to heal. Today I consider myself a serious runner for the past 3 1/2 years and have never had an issue since. In fact, my knees and legs have never felt better since I am running on a regular basis now. I take 1500mg of Glucosamine daily and it seems to be working for me. I highly recommend it! I also recommend that you go to a good running store and make sure that you are running in the correct shoes...that is when you heal up. Smile You have to make your own choices as to whether you will run again after your knee is healed. Personally, I disagree with your doctor. Wink

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I am not sure what your injury does to running. You can try looking at various web pages, I would start with my bible for running injuries which is The Injured Runner and see if they have any guidance. Warning: What follows is pretty harsh: After checking The Injured Runner I would then fire your doctor. I would not let him see your family either. Sorry, but in every profession people come with varying levels of knowledge and competency. Medicine is no exception. It has nothing to do with "nice" or "mean." You want a doctor that knows what the latest research says and clearly yours does not. There have been numerous, and at this point I mean numerous studies, all of which indicate that running is harmless for your knees and may even do them some good. These studies are now so well accepted that even our new Surgeon General Dr. Sanjay Gupta has pointed out this fact. Yes, there are flaws in the studies (alas we cannot do true life long controlled tests on people) but they all point in the same direction. Your doctor just does not know what he is talking about. You may need a sports doctor for yourself. But, you certainly do need a new doctor for your family. I fire doctors (and gardeners, and contractors and anybody else) at the first sign of incompetence or sloth. It is your money (or your insurance company's money on your behalf) and in this case your health too. You should not risk it with a doctor that has proven himself less than up to date on recent research. Here is a copy of the transcript of Dr. Gupta discussing running on CNN on 12/31/2008 COLLINS: The study proved that not only do runners live longer, but they have a better quality of life. They feel better. GUPTA: You know, look, everyone knows that getting a little bit of exercise is good for you. I think that's been proven. What was interesting, when this two decade long study was started -- a long time ago, obviously -- they thought that runners were going to have a lot of problems later in life. They were going to need more joint replacements... COLLINS: Sure. GUPTA: ... they were going to have more injuries, all that sort of stuff. COLLINS: Knees. GUPTA: Knees -- all that. So they followed these runners along for, you know, 20 years, almost, and tried to figure out and see if there's a... COLLINS: There they are now. GUPTA: They're running right there. (LAUGHTER) GUPTA: I'm not sure if these are the actual runners from the study, but they're a good example of what running is. (LAUGHTER) GUPTA: And what they -- but what they found was interesting, that they compared the two groups -- the runners versus non-runners. And they found that the runners live longer, in general. And now a lot of that could be because they ward off heart disease and diabetes -- big killers. But, also, look at this -- no increase in injuries in the long run. COLLINS: OK. GUPTA: So, again, all those worries about knee problems, ankle problems, hip problems -- no increase in injuries. The last one, I think, was the one that really struck out to me -- delayed onset of disabilities -- this idea that you can delay disabilities by 12 to 16 years because you're a runner, I thought, was pretty remarkable. COLLINS: Wow! GUPTA: Osteoporosis, fractures, things like that, that can be quite limiting, especially to an older person, were really greatly delayed in the runners' group. COLLINS: Yes. It seems like this is a pretty fascinating study, not only because of the findings, but also because it was done over two decades...

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Hi Jim, I don't know much about minuscus tears, so I can't comment on that. But I agree with Tammy and the others who said that you should find another doctor. While it would be great to find someone who is pro-running, you at least need someone who is not so completely opposed to running. Your doctor should work with you to help you do the things you want to do safely and healthfully. It seems that this guy will never give you objective advice about when you should and shouldn't run, so how is he going to help you? Good luck, Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

My brother ran Boston last year with a torn meniscus. He took some time off after and let it heal w/o surgery. He's running Boston again this year. So hoepfully, that gives you some encouragement. I'd go to another doctor. I am fortunate that the orthopaedic doctor I go to is an experienced marathon runner himself. I'd get the referral to a sports doc. DEFINITELY. It helped me tremendously. Good luck!

Slo

Jim, All I can do is re-iterate what others have said. Find a different Doctor. Two Cat's post says it all.
                      umwb

Thank you all so much for your comments Smile Smile My intentions are fully to keep running when this heals, { I am nothing if not hard headed Big grin } and it sounds like physically I will be able to, Big grin It is a bit disapointing though because I had distance goals I had set for myself to achieve this summer, one of them being the Run to the Giants 1/2 marathon. Thanks again everyone!!

Renee the dog

Jim, There's too many good health practioners out there to let this one person derail your running. I feel there's a doctor for everyone. Seems like yours is for folks who want to be told not to run. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

My intentions are fully to keep running when this heals, { I am nothing if not hard headed Big grin
                            Hey, my kinda guy...I've been accused of being hard headed and stubborn too. Same suggestion from me....boot this pro "not running" doctor, and find one that wants to HELP you back to running. Good luck Jim, and keep us all updated, ok TimBO

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Jim, with this injury, the Giants HM might be too close, but there is always the Redwoods one in the fall that you might be able to run. I have run both of them (the HM only) and actually prefer the one in October. For the Avenue in May, the have the HM'ers run on Bull Creek Road, out and back, and this road is much rougher - more tree roots that have broken up the surface of the road, making a runner have to jockey around the pits and bumps more. Whereas, the Redwoods in the fall, the HM'ers get to run their out and back along the Avenue of the Giants, which as you probably know, is a much smoother and better maintained surface. I am thinking of going back down there in October to run that one again.

Tammy

umwb

Thanks Tammy, I now have goal Big grin Big grin