Masters Running

40s+ 50s On the Run - w/e 08/05 (Read 249 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Hump day already, we need to get started!

Leslie - WOOT! Can't wait to read all about it! That is a HUGE PR, and on a tougher course than American River! Wow...  oh, and happy anniversary!  Another couple of 50s like that and you might want to think about 100s...?

Joe - glad the heat broke so you can get a better idea of where you're at. Your long run pace is strong! 

Hey Stumpy! 

Almost didn't get up Mt. Whitney, not for physical reasons but because my fear of heights kicked in. Parts of the trail near the summit are sketchy (it's more like a "trail") with steep dropoffs of many thousands of feet. Some of the dropoffs are ON BOTH SIDES!! Shocked  These places are called "the windows" and look something like this (not my picture, and yeah, that pile of rocks in front of the hikers is the "trail"):

So it was HTFU time and I got it done. I figure that 22 miles round trip, part of it with a backpack, and some 6000 ft of elevation gain, makes up for a few missed running days. Smile Today is the first day I'm not sore in strange places. 

Ex runner

Uh, I agree with the thought of "HOLY CRAP!"  And yeah, I think it's a gimme on the 6000 feet of elevation gain. Smile

I would be lying if I said a 100 hasn't been rolling around in my head, but I've already to myself that I would have to get through at least 3 more 50 milers on my own (since most 100s don't let you have a pacer until after the first 50 miles), the training is a bit daunting, and the cost of having crew and a pacer is a big consideration.  Etiquette dictates that the runner pays for all the expenses of the crew/pacer (i.e. travel, hotel, food), so things can get expensive.  But we'll see . . . . we'll see . . . .

Was suppose to run yesterday and today, but yesterday was a long travel day, and today I'm just plain ole pooped from yesterday.  Have been thinking about doing my miles after work, but I doubt it'll grow to much more than a thought.  Maybe tomorrow . . . .

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

2014: May - MDW 70-Miles (w/Trail Factor 50k) - Cascade Crest, WA/Astoria, OR/Portland, OR

June 7 - Grasshopper Peak Redwoods Run 30k - Humboldt Redwoods State Park, CA

July 12 - Mt. Hood 50 - Mt. Hood, OR

Oct 11 - Firetrails 50 - Lake Chabot, CA

"The farther you go outside, the farther you go inside." (Unknown)
      Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I'll bet you're pooped...if memory serves, it was 5 or 6 days after American Rive before I could even shuffle out a couple of miles. I would be happy to crew for you sometime and would not expect you to pick up any of my expenses. Just sayin'. 

Legs still aren't really working right. Guess all that downhill (about 10 hours of it) took a toll. Did jog over to the nearest HS track where the local running club has Wed night workouts. Up til now, I've been teaching on Wed nights. Looked fun, might join them. Doing track workouts alone is a great big drag! 

Ex runner

Sounds like you need a massage.  Go on - pamper yourself!

And your offer to crew - I will definitely keep that in mind. Smile

Leslie
          -------------

2014: May - MDW 70-Miles (w/Trail Factor 50k) - Cascade Crest, WA/Astoria, OR/Portland, OR

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

Queen of 3rd Place

Cool, I've been wanting to crew someone (and volunteer at some local races). Not only for the experience and fun, but to give back a little. 

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

25 last week so a little better milage. I did it without a convetional Long Run just lots of 4-6's and seem to not have as many hip issues. I haven't started my new round of pt exercises yet. I will start fresh after fall harvest and wheat seeding to incorporate the whole thing. I am pretty excited about trying the new pt stuff.

Leslie well done!

Joe nice paces on those longer runs.

Arla sounds kind of like the narrrows on Longs or the Longs Meeker knife edge. The exposure on Longs has turn me back twice. I know I am trashed when I get down. The guides I have gone with tell me they have people tell them how fit they are that never make it. Congrats on summiting!

Hey Stumpy, Ev,

Still hot and dry and in extreme drought. Dryland corn ranges from dead to just hanging on. Irrigated corn depends on how much water we can pump, soys are stressing pretty badly. I would like to sell more for fall delivery but at this point I am so uncertain as to how much I will have. Press has made a big deal about how well the farmers will do with all the crop insurance payouts. For us it will kick in at a 44% loss which pretty much sucks but will keep us in business and that is something. I don't know how it will all work out, but we will make it through, just hard to watch for sure.

some good stuff in the blogs from my pt clinic

http://hruskaclinic.com/blog/archives/

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Way to Go Leslie! Wow, I just can't wrap my mind (or legs) around 2 back to back marathons, and over tough terrain to boot. My hats off to you and all those that go that far. Rest up, you deserve it!

Arla- Nice pic!. I would be nervous too. It's nature's way of saying " watch out" !

Jim- hope all works out for your crops and such. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and I have all the respect for American farmers. It seems to me that you have to overcome a lot of adversity. Nice mileage!

Today I ran what Nobby calls a Progression Calibration run. Just running by HR and pushing it a bit to be close to marathon pace and gauge my fitness level. Only looked at the Garmin for HR on a relatively cool 85* and humid day.

Quite pleased to discover I covered about 8 miles at 8:46 and had plenty in the tank.

I'm really digging on this training plan!

Jim - I echo Joe's sentiments.  I think of you and Lynda often and keep you in my prayers.

Joe - So glad you're having success with the new plan.  Keep it up!

I've been L-A-Z-Y.  I gotta drag myself out tomorrow morning.  And starting Monday, I HAVE to get back into my strength training routine.  I've lost so much muscle definition in my upper body over the last four months, it's ridiculous.  Will take months to get it back. (Translation: I'm an idiot.)

Leslie
                  -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

I got nothin' for this morning.  Nada.  Nope.  Zipperoony.  Sleeping in sure has felt good, though!  Smile

If anyone's interested in listening, yours truly is a guest on this week's podcast of the 3 Nonjoggers. Episode #83.  You can download it via iTunes here.  I don't think I made a total nincompoop of myself, but you never know.

Leslie
                    -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

I actually got a run in this morning.  And it felt good!  The legs were telling me they're still recovering, but all in all good 4 miles.

Tonight when I got home from church, I cleaned a bunch of stuff out of my closet to take to a local used clothing store to sell on consignment.  In looking through a box, I found a bunch of pairs of size 6 jeans.  Size 6?  Pretty much brand new.  I was definitely living in some kind of dream world if I thought I'd ever get into those again.  Was a size 6 a few years ago when  Shorty and I were going through a bad time and I lost a bunch of weight due to stress.  Now, I'd have to starve myself to death to get back to that size.

Anybody else watch "Covert Affairs"?  How does someone who's suppose to be able to run on a dime wear those stupid high, spiky heel shoes?  Come to think of it, how does someone in regular life wear those things?  High heels were made by the devil.  Every time I try to wear a pair, I end up beating myself over the head with them.  Now, I can't wear them at all with my foot.  I've happily discovered the comfort of Dansko.  Much more me speed . . . although they don't look quite as sexy with that little black dress. Wink

Leslie
                      -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

3 miles this a.m.  We're only on the high 60's, but very humid.  After 3 EZ miles, the sweat was dripping off me.  I'm very pleased that my legs seem to be bouncing back so well.  Was able to slowly run up a decent hill without any problems.

I learned a lot running with Kate last weekend.  One big thing is to work on my EZ pace aka my "I could run like this all day" pace, and my hill climbing in the respect that I need to work on taking much smaller steps.  Even though I thought I was, I wasn't, and when I really gear down on my pace and stride, my climbing improves dramatically.

Am watching the women's marathon right now, although I know the outcome.  Congratulations to Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher for finishing 10th and 11th, respectively.  You done America proud, ladies!

Leslie
                        -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi