Masters Running

First Sunday, May 3rd, in 2015 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Twocat, if DW sells me, I believe you'd get me "as is." I'd shop elsewhere... Nice 18er yesterday with 11 at MP. Enjoy the Vermont Cities taper.

Sorry about the ongoing heel pain, Deeze. I hope you and little Maria had a great time together.

Never doing the Grasshopper again, eh Leslie? We'll see...

Congrats on getting into the Chicago Marathon, Nancy! It's never too late to start...

Tough break with the short 5K, Erika. Let the RD know so he'll/she'll know it needs to be fixed by next year. Have a greta trip.

Great job at the Greenland 25K Trail race, XcT! Congrats on 2nd Masters and the new 50+ course record, and the new shoes you won.

Sound like a great day, C-R, including the 13+ miler. Topping it all off with a beer and fire sounds terrific.

What? Even Mike can go out too fast and burn out? Never thought I'd see that happen. Better on a training run than in a race.

I'm glad you had fun with the Naked Girls, Holly, even if they kept you up late.

Last night, we went out with neighbors to our favorite French restaurant. The chef/owner is the racewalker who beat me yesterday. He had to leave right after the race, so I picked up his award and delivered it last night. It was a great meal and a good time.

I headed out this morning, not knowing how I'd do after yesterday's 5K and an afternoon of yard work. So I kept reassessing along the way, and adjusted my course accordingly. I wound up with 9.1 easy RW miles in temps in the low 40s. It felt good, but I've got more yard work to do today, so I expect to be worn out by the time we get to grilling some fish or steaks tonight. The early forecast for next weekend's half is for temps to be in the upper 70s - I'm going to hate that 'cause it'll be way to warm for me, especially this early in the season. So it goes...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks coastie.

beautiful day in Spokane for former Olympian Don Kardong's Bloomsday 12K with mariposai and DH/DS plus my 85-yo IM mentor and his former duathlon champion GF.  though I'll be the slowest, they now have timing mats at the bottom and top of Doomsday Hill at about mile 4 so I'll trick 'em into thinking I'll be walking up but will run as best I can to try to beat 'em up just like speedy barefoot triathlon transitions where I don't need to change into/out-of shoes.   Doomsday took me 5:01 the last time in 2012 but everyone else was deep into the fives. I have my bear feet ready and will put on at the last minute and see if anyone notices.  yippee

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mornin' guys//................if heme is right about eating a peck of dirt before you die,

I should have passed away  the week I went out for football...

============

...but I digress.......

55-min bikeride,,50's,

,,,,,,,,,,stood up on the pedals for 1-min going downhill each lap,

maybe get some hip muscles built up

speaking of ''20-years'' of posting,

anybody remember this one??

http://coolrunningboomers.pbworks.com/w/page/16477615/Jargon

.................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

After yesterday's rather long post I am just popping in to say today was just an elliptical day for me.  The local YMCA is holding a free CPR training day today.  They say it takes only 15 minutes.  I am planning to go.  As I told my DW we and our friends are getting old.  You never know if this will come in handy.  She sighed and nodded.  If only aging reversed at some point!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Gee whiz TW!  That thread is a riot.  I had forgotten all about Earth Runner. We can say it now that he can't possibly find us.  Would be interesting to learn his reaction to Lance's PED admission and subsequent problems.  What a time that was back in the days.

So "greta" and "hugh" were typos, but yesterday another typo helped me win my annual bet with the Saint.  We always pick a horse for the Kentucky Derby before watching the race. She had Carpe Diem and I noticed that the horse "Pharoah" was a misspelling.  I thought at first the newspaper had printed it incorrectly and looked it up. Sure enough the horse is Pharoah and because that's a misspelling of "Pharaoh" I chose him. And you know the rest of the story.

How about that pic of Holly in her race!  I've had it enlarged and printed and it's now on my office wall.  Trivia Quiz:  What was the name of the dope who posted that he had a picture of "PreDawnRunner" on his office wall?  PBJ hated the guy.

I can't believe how hard my wife works and that's how she got her nickname the Saint. Ran 4 with me yesterday, then mowed the lawn and trimmed, then put out 8 bags of mulch, THEN cleaned the garage! She finished just before dinner.

So today we were going to do 12. She did 8 and called it a day. I went on and finished 4 more. But I told her she worked harder than I did being on her feet like that all day yesterday.  And no, I'm not renting her out.   Spareribs

Another beautiful day for a run here, but if it's this warm down in Cincinnati today, the people running the Pig are going to have a tough time of it. With the biking and running I've been doing the last few days, I've sort of been burning it at both ends, so I was surprised how good I felt at the club run out at the lake this morning. I stuck to my run-walk rehab plan, but went from a 50-50 split to more of a 2/3-1/3 in favor of running, plus upped the distance to 5 miles. What was really nice was that my running portions were back around 9:30 or less and much less protest from the hip area.

Afterward I had some good conversation along with coffee and a bagel with Steve (perchcreek), who is still on his incredible running streak, and listened to Keith Hanson doing a post-mortem on the Boston race. Another club member ran a 3:28 out there against a 3:40 BQ time to qualify for next year again!

Yesterday was one of those weekend days best appreciated by people who live in places with harsh winters (Erika and a lot of others here know what I mean). My DW and I biked downtown and it seemed like everyone in town was outside enjoying the warm sunshine, from parents pushing newborns in their hi-tech strollers to the loads of people walking and biking on the rail-trails. We even upheld a yearly tradition, standing in line for the first DQ of the season (that's "Dairy Queen", not "disqualification!").

Now we're off to join our DS at a restaurant up in Frankenmuth. A good rest of the weekend to you all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

coastwalker - don't know how you do it.  we got in after 11 after an evening of dancing and partying at a 75th gala., but were NOT ready to go out running at 4 am - or even 5

instead we hopped on bikes and went to the Greenway where they are installing an Echelman design of ropes and twine that's connected to 4 buildings.  This is just the start - they won't finish for another 8 hours.  We spoke to one of the persons working on it who said the view from the 28th floor of the taller building was just awesome.  For those who are curious, here's the link to all the info.  On Tuesday, I hope to get a picture of the finished product.  http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/visit/public-art/janet-echelman/greenway-sculpture-installation/

Happy Bloomsday meet-up!

marj

Go TW! (regarding bike ride and hip strengthening, not eating dirt!)

I'll see you at the Vermont City Marathon Twocat. It's part of the USATF-Ne Grand Prix for MA, RI, VT, ME, and NH (CT has its own Grand Prix series) so they'll be lots of club team runners there. It will be good to see you! And Heme! I'll see you in Chicago---running that one as well and excited.

Jay, you are dedicated! Nice racing and working out.

Some day I'd love to run Bloomsday. Looks fun and huge!

Granny chose the Derby winner---she often does. We watched and cheered together yesterday. No mint juleps, but some hot fresh mint tea and a nice time.

Ran 14 miles this morning with Iron J on a sunny-blue-sky morning here. I am off to the airport soon for work travel in MD and PA. I was in London last week for work and had some great runs in Hyde Park and also along the Thames. A few of my UK colleagues are runners and they made sure to drag me along on some of their favorite routes. Good stuff. Missed the royal birth, but no time anyway for gawking and such!

Great race shot Holly!

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs -

Marj - that looks amazing!

TomWhite - that does bring back memories and smiles, for sure.

Roch - it was a lovely day, but you are right that it was pretty warm for those at the Pig, especially since we are not yet acclimated to the warmer temps.

We had another lovely sunny warm day here as well - that makes three in a row!  The fact that I was able to golf on two of those days is just a blessing.

Re: the race picture - I almost never take good race photos - my mouth is hanging open, my eyes are shut or glazed or staring down, or I just look like I am grimacing (or perhaps going into heart failure.  This time I actually got a picture where I look like I am having a good time, so I had to get it.  Of course, what I also see is that I have seriously lapsed in my weight training and look like I am getting pretty "fluffy" and that the glare off my white legs rivals the sun, but that just gives me something to work on in the coming weeks. 

5.7 slow and gentle miles for me this morning in 54 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Greetings!  It was fun to see that old thread, greta even!  First really warm Spring weekend around here, and as much as I love snow sports, it is welcome. Around 70 yesterday and mid 70s today and things are greening up.  I am working my mileage up a little after a busy ski season. 10 miles both yesterday and today on the rail trail.  Snow and most mud is gone; the usual rocky spots have emerged.  No wildflowers yet. Maybe next weekend I will get out to Tower Hill; I did not want to go too crazy on the distance this time.  I also went for a walk yesterday afternoon, then we three( including DS) went to Boston to a quick dinner and Boston Symphony, last one for the season. It was good to get out, and we all enjoyed the performance.

I planted a few herbs and lettuce today and spaded up the patch for tomatoes in a couple of weeks.

Nice running around here! Sounds like Karin had a good trip to London!

Sayhey! MM#130

Fun posts this weekend.

Liked the vignette about delivering the award Jay, and congrats on that 2nd place.  Really speedy!

twocat, Molly and Leopold Bloom are the main characters in Ulysses and Blazes Boylan may be fooling around with Molly, and the entire book takes place on June 16, hence "Bloomsday."  And yes, I've been told I should have been an English major.  That's what I plan on being when I go back to school once I retire.

Love the photos.  I know, Holly, I never buy race photos -- San Fran gave them to us online as part of reg. fee.

will be looking for the ones of the completion of the installation, marj.

Having run a 5K Sat (much more slowly), I get your frustration Erika.  That's quite speedy,  especially  after slow running season.

Grilling fish and some of the fresh veggies we got at the farmers market yesterday.  Peppers, corn, squash and yummy tomatoes, to name some.

Karin,  liked the FB London photos.   while you're speeding through Vermont, I'm bringing DH out to the Berkshires for the "toughest marathon in the east," or so they claim.

DH did a super job handing out water at the 5K; it was the Run for Kayla, so lots of kiddoes who have some sort of special needs participated, including  little 6 or 7 year old fellow with a dragging foot whose mom went along with him with his chair for when he got tired. .  It took him an hour and 25 minutes, but he ended up staying on his feet for the entire 3.1 miles.  We were all gathered on the track to see him finish.   So inspiring; Charyse gave him the microphone at the awards ceremony and he said this: "I didn't give up on this race."  I have a feeling this little guy is going to achieve some pretty impressive things in his life.

Where's Kevin?

Congrts, Nancy on CHicago--you'll have fun.    Leslie, you crack me up.  Who listens to you?  We do!

Healing vibes, Deez and Jlynne.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Having a fun time with Miss Maria this weekend but boy does she love her Papa!! When he's in site the rest of us barely exist!! She is so stinking cute - I made sure she had her chicken and berries with Papa then ice cream with Nonna to win some bonus points!!

4.3 easy pace miles while she was sleeping - knew I could count on a good nap after we had her running around outside and playing on her new slide!!  Have to say my heel was uncomfortable pretty much the whole run and had a brief bout of sharp pain when I started going up a small hill - fortunately that didn't last long, but the discomfort lasted the whole run   Have a PT appt Tuesday and hope he has some insight....I am getting frustrated!

Have a peaceful Sunday night my friends

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went for a 6 miler today...I was going to go 8 but I was glad I turned when I did.  About a mile from home the the rain started, the temperature dropped about 10 degrees, and the wind picked up about 10 mph.  It was cold and the rain was coming at me horizontally right in my face.  As soon as I walked in the door and took off my shoes, the hail started coming down.  Yep, I'm glad I didn't go 8.

So...when did the iPhones first come out...2007?  Well, when they did, I wanted one.  But we were with T-Mobile and, of course, AT&T was the only carrier dealing with them and, as much ad I tried convincing Debbie to switch, she wasn't budging.  To make a long story short...I got an iPhone, today!  It's an early Fathers Day and birthday present...which is fine with me.

Okay--that's it--gotta go download some new apps....see ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

so lots of kiddoes who have some sort of special needs participated, including  little 6 or 7 year old fellow with a dragging foot whose mom went along with him with his chair for when he got tired. .  It took him an hour and 25 minutes, but he ended up staying on his feet for the entire 3.1 miles.  We were all gathered on the track to see him finish.   So inspiring; Charyse gave him the microphone at the awards ceremony and he said this: "I didn't up on this race."  I have a feeling this little guy is going to achieve some pretty impressive things in his life.

I love this!

Mike - have fun with your new toy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."