Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 10.24.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm very glad to read that Holly & fam. are having fun in Mexico!

Thanks, for volunteering (again!), Ribs.

Tammy, congrats to David & team for earning a spot at the State meet, and to you for getting your counter tops.

Nice sandwich, Dave.

"Always fun to have a good shaker...." I don't know if most people look at it that way, Evanflein!

The weather is starting to calm down, so I went out for 5.8 RW miles at the usual time this morning. 48F with light, wind-driven rain. I needed my headlamp to find my way between puddles and downed branches. I still managed to land in a few puddles and had soaked socks by the time I got back home.

Good luck to all of this weekend's racers: I wish you dry weather, tail winds and fun times at your races!

Oh, and have a greta Friday too.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Rest day for me. I just have to pack for my weekend trip, pretend to work for a half day, and wait for Cindy to get home so we can leave.

King of PhotoShop

We had fun working packet pickup yesterday til 7 pm, with so many other club members having shown up, as usually happens.  There is a sign up sheet for working packet pickup and no one had registered for Thursday 4 to 7, so the Saint and I wrote our names down.  Then when we got there, we saw 3 other club members hanging around so there was plenty of help and we had a lot of fun. Got Jersey Mike's sandwiches on the way home.

This morning was 2.3 easy in my new Saucony A6 racing flats, just to break them in for tomorrow's race.  They are orange, so I will wear orange shorts and a blue top.  Let's see Rodgers outdo me!  Spareribs

Mariposai yep, no scuba diving in the rain!©  Really, once it gets going and for hours afterwards you cannot see a thing.

Spareribs good luck with your race.

Holly S. glad to see you are finally getting some epic level weather.

Mike E well I suspect many of us have posted in the wrong daily at least once.  We just do not admit to it when it happens!

Dave59 I see you have never had a relationship with a member of the opposite sex.  When asked for your opinion that is not what is actually wanted.  You now need to figure out what the opinion is of said member of the opposite sex and then say it is yours.  All other answers are wrong and will result in your instant placement in the dog house.  

wildchild have fun with your DD in Seattle.

tomwhite I sure hope you start feeling better.

Note to tetsujin209 you meanie!  Snarking both poor Holly S. and tomwhite all in one sentence!    Man, wish I had come up with that line!

enekphalin disciplines that live off of grant money can be really tough.  I have no doubt your group is busy applying for everything in sight (oh such a good use of faculty time! ) and perhaps something will come through.

AamosY am I wrong or was the Charlevoix Marathon on a Runners World top ten marathon list?  The name sounds really familiar.

coastwalker I thought it was supposed to clear up here in CT by this morning.  But that nor'easter just keeps on swirling around and around off the coast.

Unlike coastwalker I am not willing to violate the "no running in the rain"© rule.  I got up this morning all ready to go when my DW sent a text that it was raining out!  It was supposed to stop by early this morning!  What has the world come to when mother nature will not keep her promises!  Sheesh!  Rules being rules, I got showered and dressed for work instead.  Went down to my home office and started working.  I figured I would wait to see if the rain stopped by the time the sun rose.  If not I would head into my office office for the morning and run later in the day.  So far the plan in working.  I am in my office office.  Now I just have to leave soon enough to run the 16 I planned out for today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

There isn't any soap in the rain, so what gives?  Debutantes . . . .

We haven't had a good shaker in awhile.  We're do.

DW opinion vs. DH opinion - Twokitty might have something there.  We have entered the discussion phase of saving our dinero to purchase a small SUV.  The Hub brought it up, seeing as how he just about went into cardiac arrest in August when we had to drive on a less than desirable road in our Camry for volunteering at Waldo.  Let's just say we've come to a road block re keeping or ditching the Camry (I want to ditch the sucker).  We'll see who wins . . . .

Since I'm not running right now with no race until probably April, I'm having a hard time keeping up my motivation to work out.  Should've gotten up and gone for a walk this a.m., but decided to stay under the covers, even though I didn't sleep much after 3:30.  Will either walk or ride my stationary bike when I get home this evening.

Good luck to all our racers and RDs' this weekend!!

Later, gators ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

AamosY am I wrong or was the Charlevoix Marathon on a Runners World top ten marathon list?  The name sounds really familiar.

This is me, Aamos: Well see, another reason to do this!  I've boxed myself into several corners here...

twocat, did you catch "Fresh Air" yesterday?  The interview with the folks from cooks.com?  Really interesting potato recipe toward the end--Syracuse Salted Potatoes.  Intriguing, and it made me think you'd be up for trying it.
              ......listening to Billy Crystal on Fresh Air  right now,    (I sent in my pledge, so I'm guilt free now.)

Please be careful with all the shaking going on out there, Erika.

Yay, Holly!  Happy for y'all!!

Following Mari's lead, I signed up today for an improptu 5K tomorrow  (heh heh)  --no, really, and that's no typo, just a 5K

Go Ribs!  You can take him out.....I think he's gotten a little chubby of late......

good luck, enke.

Hi Karin, thinking of you....T'sgiving is just a month away......

So roch, really?  Let's do it, then.  Don't want to miss the cap, for sure.

(Are recommending staying in Petrosky?--I can figure out where to stay later; any other places any closer you'd recommend? )

Steve and Tag, please to note this.   Weekend of June 27th--please put it in your datebooks?  I'm buying Tag ice cream.

Speedsters last night, 6 miles in a spectacular setting sun at 8:15 pace (and the 1st one was 8:30), 3.5 bagel jog this morning.

Happy Friday and have fun this weekend.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...Thanks guys//..........starting to feel some better

.........didn't catch tet's line about me and holly Wednesday,

but

having Pickles shoot me probably wouldn't make me feel better......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

5 miles in the dark, but it was nice, without rain.  I went slow, saving my legs for the trail race Sunday.

Twocat - your advice to Dave suggests you have read the 32GB wikipedia entry called "understanding women",  good job!

What should I feed my 50K trail runner guest for dinner Sunday night, other than, lots of food?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

What should I feed my 50K trail runner guest for dinner Sunday night, other than, lots of food?

Yes,  ultra runners, what do you eat the day and the night before your ultra runs? I need help here big time.

Aamos, I see you are a good follower 

Since I am missing our 2nd annual zombies run, which is tomorrow i decided to bake 7 dozen cupcakes for the children who enter the race. Cakes are done done. Now just need to clean up the kitchen a bit and off to Seattle I will go. Tonight is salsa dancing night with my other daughters. Tomorrow and Sunday night I will spend with my sistahh Enkie. I can't wait. Plus I will have the chance to hang out with my birthday sister Wildchild, our utlra goddess Dove and the famous taper boy, Tetsujin.  What a fun weekend awaits for me.

Ohh, i did run 3 miles this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I would think feeding a 50k runner would be just like feeding a marathon runner, right? Have fun you guys. I hope we get lots of pictures out of this weekend!

Amy, nothing to worry about here. We don't have the infrastructure to cause massive failures from earthquakes here. And these little 3 to 5 magnitude shakers are just a good reminder that we are not the boss. Oh, and we are interested in that Michigan marathon that I can't remember how to spell..... I think the timing for fitting in with the local races I do would work, and I've love to see Michigan and all the Michiganders we can round up! (It wasn't on the Maniac calendar so I sent a request to SRL to have it added....)

I would certainly hope there's more sharing and cooperation/compromise when it comes to expressing opinions between spouses.....

We had snow last night! Not much, but the ground is cold enough now that it's not going away anytime soon. And by that, I mean spring. I certainly enjoyed the last three weeks of bare pavement running in moderate temps so can't complain. Glad I got out for just over 6 miles last night. Today will be just a short run to get me moving. With the cutback in mileage and my love of chocolate and almonds... I'm feeling a wee bit "fluffy" these days.   This weekend I'll get my treadmill back in operation. Gotta find the cord and stuff like that.....

So roch, really?  Let's do it, then.  Don't want to miss the cap, for sure.

(Are recommending staying in Petrosky?--I can figure out where to stay later; any other places any closer you'd recommend? )

grins,

A

Oh, and we are interested in that Michigan marathon that I can't remember how to spell..... I think the timing for fitting in with the local races I do would work, and I've love to see Michigan and all the Michiganders we can round up!

If enough of us are really committed, then we should probably start a separate thread to keep track of things. That general area is probably the primary vacation/resort/summer-home/$$$$ area in the state and places do fill up fast. For instance, the place I intended for my DW and I to stay is already booked Fri-Sat. We might just stick around a couple more days and stay there Sun-Mon, but will look elsewhere for the event nights. If rooms are not available in Charlevoix, then Petoskey is the best bet; it does have several large chain hotels (Hampton, HI Express, etc.). Traverse City has tons of hotels, but is 50 miles (about an hour) away.

One of my goals this year was to attend an RA gathering, so I'm really getting geeked about finally meeting some "old friends that I've never met."

No running today, but went for an autumn walk in the woods with my sweetie. Something we do every year about this time. Leaves are just past their peak and were falling like rain in the breeze, making for a satisfying crunch as we walked along the paths.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - Jersey Mike's again?  Brave man....

So this Michigan race is when?  Late June?  I should be available for that....

Mariposai - you really are an inspiration....and I wish I could have one of your cupcakes....

Today was our last day, and the rain didn't start until 2pm, so we had lots of time to play in the surf all morning and early afternoon.  We walked up to the point where the sand ends and the rugged rocky tide pools and caves begin, looking for shells and ogling the hermit crabs. 

STILL no running.....

Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mariposai yep, no scuba diving in the rain!©  Really, once it gets going and for hours afterwards you cannot see a thing.

Sheesh twocat that sounds like something the ancient one, . . .

I mean wise one, would say as if it were true.

Note to tetsujin209 you meanie!  Snarking both poor Holly S. and tomwhite all in one sentence!    Man, wish I had come up with that line!

Not that I’d want to snark twocat too in the same sentence but what have you guys been drinki. .., I mean we’d probably never have any scuba diving around here in the PNW if rain was a factor. I’d have to check with divechief but about all rain does is raise the surface salinity a little, tiny bit, if that and maybe some excessive turbidity near any turgid rivers and creeks. Do you do your swimming in hurricanes or something?  Actually, what do  you do in the rain?
                            Enke - no need to worry about Sunday’s fare as nancy’ll be feasting all day long on the abundance of goodies offered to ultra runners at all the aid stops around here.  Check with ziggy and wildchild but make sure she gets extra minerals in her carboloading beforehand to prevent debilitating cramps miles from any help.  Seafood spaghetti or oyster ramen for me.
                            Cougar Mountain fizzle - unfortunately for running but good for extra GS time, DD&GS’s early departure Sunday morning got delayed to afternoon so no getting up to the Cougar Mountain start with the four gorgeous goddesses. Please post lots of photos though. Sorry.  Maybe stick around another week, if possible. <<<(Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run)>>>. Rats.

Ps - tomS - not that I’d like to snark twocat twice in the same post but check with him in case you have to explain to DW why anything is remiss now that she's home.

pps twocat

Note to tetsujin209 you meanie!

actually, I've hear that from GS a couple of times but mostly it's pointing his finger at his eye, then at his heart, then at me. <<<(melt/melt)... don't you try it though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

So this Michigan race is when?  Late June?  I should be available for that....

Holly, it's Saturday, June 27.

charlevoixmarathon.com

Would be absolutely great to have you there!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

what to do, what to do???