Masters Running

BQ or Bonk - which did he do? (Read 345 times)

Bonk! There were some really nice runs today at Eugene but mine wssn't one of them. I kept BQ pace up through 16 and that was it. Did the run/walk thing from there on in. Enjoyed the day tremendously and met some amazing people. But at the same time I'm discouraged too. Not a PW though! 4:07 or 4:08 after having 16 miles right on the pace. A more proper race report after I have a chance to get back hoime and lick my wounds. No more of these dumb Marathons for me. I'm done with them. I take them far too seriously. (grin) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry to hear about the dreaded bonk, but you had fun and met some boomer goddesses, and as far as I can tell from your TOO SHORT RR, you're not injured or sick. So life is good. Please add some details about why the first 16 were good and what might have gone wrong after that point, for those of us learning the ropes. And congrats!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HermosaBoy

So, lick your wounds and figure out what caused the bonk. Confused You got it in you to get that BQ, just gotta get the right formula -- once you do, look out!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

King of PhotoShop

Put it aside and start your next plan. Sometimes with that distance you have the day, and sometimes you don't. You are still a strong and dedicated runner with a great love of the sport and a terrific attitude. We're alll with you whether you have a great race or not. Thanks for letting us come along on the ride. Spareribs
          evanflein

Ditto what Wildchild said... and Hermosaboy. If you aren't injured, time to regroup and get back on that horse! When you have a chance, we'd love to hear some more. Just can't imagine how this happened with the solid training you did. Your story could be a lesson for all of us...

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill! It sounds like maybe you had a similar experience to my Boston effort, although your training the last few months was far superior to mine. ( You have become so SPEEDY!) Soundrunner gave me a wonderful talk about how so many variables (many that are completely out of your control) can change/alter your marathon at the last minute, in spite of all your efforts. It's hard not to be discouraged, but your training is not wasted. You are in amazing shape, Bill, and I fully expect you to kick some serious butt in some shorter races over the next few months. I am a bit jealous, though, that all those PNW Boomer Goddesses got to have a hug from you.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aw, geez, Bill. Sorry to hear you had a bad day, but try to remember that that's all it was -- a bad day. There are good ones in your future. (And ditto what everyone is saying about the people you met -- that must have been a blast!)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TheSaint

Sorry Bill that it wasn't your day. Do you think it could have been too many women distracting you? Regroup and give it another try.
                  dg.

Bill, I agree with all of the above. I really look forward to seeing what you do next. Enjoy the rest of your trip. fwiw. your post is much easier to understand. Wink
                    HermosaBoy

Oh, one more thing -- find a 5k in around two weeks and use your strength from marathon training to drop something nice... Yes

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

whatever it is, it happens for a reason. Find the beauty in it...it's there. On to the next adventure!!
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Bill, I agree with all said above and know that the BQ is right there for you to grab. The marathon is a cruel mistress and it's a wonder that it's more popular than ever given the beating of body and ego. You have the dedication and strength to get that dream of yours and it will align---I swear it. Take heart and hang tough now. Recover, enjoy the travel home and I know I will see you in Boston before long. with admiration, Karin
                          huskydon

Bill, Sorry to hear about your bonk. I agree with The Saint. I know you will learn from this (and we will too) and bounce back next time! huskydon
                              Bill, You are the coolest. And I ADORE your wife, Mrsbillbreger1.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill... not to get too discouraged. Once you get analyzing you'll figure out what the variables were. Or if it was just a bad day then try again. There is a fine balance of pace, fuel, hydration and many other variables that can lead to a Bonk. You base is great. At least you made it to the start and got to run it and finish! Your a great runner... remember that! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova