Masters Running

Saturday, 4.11.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm trying to get back into it, so I went for 4.6 quick RW miles early this morning. It was nice to be in temps above 40F again. Now DW and I are heading for our favorite dive for an early breakfast 'cause I also have a racewalking training session this morning. This will be our first session back on an outdoor track after a long winter on our small indoor track (which we are thankful to be able to use each year). It'll be great to be back on a big oval again.

It is supposed to be a sunny weekend, with temps going up to 50 today and a little higher tomorrow, so maybe we'll finally get rid of the snow that is lingering in our back yard. I still have leaves from last fall under that snow that need to be cleaned up, and I'd like to be able to get to it before summer.

I signed up for Somerville next Sunday morning, and I'm looking forward to seeing some friendly, familiar faces there!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Good start Jay, both the post and your walk.

The Saint and I got out and did a slow run, 3 for her to get her weekly 30 and 6 for me to get my 35.  I was gassed at the end though.

Big news yesterday is that I had my one year follow up since my cancer prostatectomy and I am again 100% cancer-free so that was good news.

In other family news my son is dating this girl from Guadalahara who is an exchange student. She is helping him with his Spanish and he is helping her with her English.  We like her. Cute, nice personality, good athlete, plays on the local high school golf team.  So this week they're talking about what they are going to do over the weekend and they learn that they each like horror movies and talked about that for awhile.

So yesterday afternoon Hudson comes home from school and says that Sofia told him she wants to see the monsters this weekend and he's all excited that they're going to go to some scary movie. Well, she comes over to our house and they immediately put on the TV.  Turns out she wanted to watch "The Masters."  Spareribs

coastwalker

Hi Ribs,

Funny story about Hudson and his new girl. So they're going to watch the monsters at the Masters, eh? Nice weekly mileage for you and the Saint.

We had a good turnout at our first outdoor racewalking training session of the year. There was also a HS lacrosse match on the infield, so it was a busy morning at the track. It was 50F, partly sunny, and very breezy. I had everyone do ladders (1, 2, 3, 3, 2 ,1 laps) with a 30 sec. rest between. It was the first time a couple of newbies had racewalked 3 miles, and the first time at that distance this year for some other folks who had taken most of the winter off. We're all entering a 5K on May 2, so I wanted to get everyone at least familiar with the distance. I did a total of 4.85 miles on the track, with all but the first mile in the 10s. So that's a total of 9.4 miles for me for the day.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' guys//...........sorry I'm so sporadic these days..........

went into the Y on crutches this morning, very embarrassing,

and clunky

30-min poolrun, with belt, deep end only

==========

store closes 6-1

so I'll schedule surgery as soon as we clean the store out

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Big news yesterday is that I had my one year follow up since my cancer prostatectomy and I am again 100% cancer-free so that was good news.

WooHoo!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

went into the Y on crutches this morning, very embarrassing,

and clunky

I personally see that as inspirational, not embarrassing at all.  How easy is it for most people to blow off a workout or find excuses to NEVER work out, but you don't let anything stop you.  You are awesome!

Jay - nice job on the training session, and I hope that evil snow goes away soon.

Lovely weather here, brilliant sunshine after the week's storms.  I overdressed for the 39 degree temps when I set out, and ended up stopping at home later to remove layers.  Slow, slow, and even slower, but I got my miles in.  Next week will be my most undertrained marathon ever.(Does two weeks of running count as training?)   We'll call it a training run for Charlevoix.  

15 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Great news on being cancer-free Ribs.

Ran the Pear Blossom 10 mile race this morning. 9th consecutive year of running it and I did not think I could run 10 miles consecutively at all. haven't done that in months. but I guess that large race atmosphere gets you going because I ran a fairly steady race and was pleased with it. nothing fast, but that wasn't my goal anyways.

splits : 9.28, 9.30, 9.49, 9.49, 9.23, 9.36, 9.27, 9.22, 9.21, 9.13. Negative split race that I'm happy with.

Remember LabDuck? he was there today although I didn't know he'd be here until I saw him on the turn around of the course.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I personally see that as inspirational, not embarrassing at all.  How easy is it for most people to blow off a workout or find excuses to NEVER work out, but you don't let anything stop you.  You are awesome!

Jay - nice job on the training session, and I hope that evil snow goes away soon.

Lovely weather here, brilliant sunshine after the week's storms.  I overdressed for the 39 degree temps when I set out, and ended up stopping at home later to remove layers.  Slow, slow, and even slower, but I got my miles in.  Next week will be my most undertrained marathon ever.(Does two weeks of running count as training?)   We'll call it a training run for Charlevoix.  

15 miles for me today.

What Holly said, Tom.  And Jay.  (I'm lazy today)  Also nice 15, Holly.  sounds like a good strategy.  It's your run--call it whatever you want

I did an impromptu, but small double today.  I didn't stay up for the full 19 innings of the Sox game last night, but late enough that I woke up late to go to the Saturday morning group run.  Not only was I late getting there and missing the group, I was so rushed that I forgot my Garmin.  So I did sort of a route that we had done before and am now trying to get Mapmyrun to work so I can see how far I actually did go.  It was so nice that when I got home, I decided that a lap around our lake would finish the day off. Now I need to go back and try again.

Glad to hear you'll be joining us next week, Jay.  We'll have to get some coordination going to see who needs rides and timing.  I'm looking forward to it.  Anyone else coming?  have to check back with LaT.

forgot--Great new, Ribs!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Good start Jay and nice news Ribs.

Quick drive by. Short run and getting ready for yard work as it glorious here.

Chers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Is that what you meant? 

oh yeah, Happy birthday, Dg.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday Debbie!!

David called as they were getting ready to leave Portland. I wasn't home yet, so DH answered the phone:

DH: Hello?

David:  Hi Dad. I am going to need $2,000.00.

whoo hoo!! He made it to Nationals and is going to Chicago for a week at the end of June.  The top 3 at State advance to Nationals and David's classmate took 1st, David took 2nd and his other classmate took 3rd.  Originally, the 3 of them were planning on doing a group business presentation, but then decided to each do an individual public speaking competition. I'm so glad that all three of them are advancing!  and now I need to have David do his speech for me. I know he used a Steve Prefontaine story as his intro but other than that I'm not sure what the content of his speech was.

Tammy

mrrun

Happy Birthday DG, great news for Ribs and David, awesome run for TW and great workouts for everyone else!

No running today as had Seder for grandkids and last one just left and I'm wiped.  Yesterday ran 5 and followed with biking 5 and I forgot what a double is like - yikes!

we've also signed up for the somerville 5k and are picking up aamos and have room for one more person if they want to leave from boston/brrokline

marj

Congratulations to David!  Woo hoo!  Now about that $2,000 . . . 

I echo Holly's sentiment re Tom.  I, too, find it to be inspirational, and I bet most others do, as well.  You are the poster child for not letting anything get in your way of staying fit and healthy.  Now about that floatation belt . . . .

Ribs - Between you and Tammy, I'm not sure who's raising the better kid.  Okay, it's a tie.  Put the two of them together, and watch out world!

Holly - Call it what you like, because as I told a lady at a race I worked at this morning, at least you're out there and you're moving.

It was 1 hr on the stat bike this a.m. with 10x1 min hard with 2 min of recovery in between.  I was sweating buckets by the time i got done.  I then went and worked a trail run this morning, steering people in the right direction at a course split, then sweeping a small section after the last runner went through.  It was a lot of fun, and made me realize how much I miss being out there!  I did run a small amount of a downhill section just to see, but nope.  I can still feel the hammy.  Oh well.  I got in a nice 2-mile hike in drizzly weather.

Anybody here have a Christmas cactus?  I inherited one two years ago and this is the first time it's bloomed.  When I got home, a big chunk had broken off, so I cut off the end at a slant, then dug a hole in the pot and stuck it in.  Hope it works.

Okay - Transcription time.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ribs has more anniversaries than I have runs.
                              Congratulations.
                              tom’s been my inspiration since I almost retired from running for good in 2009 after 32 years of at least on marathon a year. Still don’t run that much, and when I do, it’s not that much like running, but I promised tom I’d never retire as long as he doesn’t, I won’t either. .
                              looks like another two-week quickie on Monday
                              will add to my current PR of no running  
                              for the last 21,000 air miles.
                              Good hydration practice though, especially with Korean Air Lines
                              offering ten non-stop hours of glasses of red and white wine
                              to economy passengers too.
                              I hadn’t had an alcoholic beverage in 20-30 years
                              but, unfortunately, I didn’t know
                              how to say “no” in Korean.
                              Sorry you’re so overtrained Holly.
                              Just moderate your pace for the first 10-15 miles
                              and I’ll bet you can run all the way and have just as much fun,
                              and good exercise, as when you’re running fast. .

ps tammy - that $2,000'll probably be worth $100,000 in scholarship.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Good evening!  You all are such a suave and entertaining bunch!

Hi tet!!!!

Tammy, how many buttons you needing to sew back on after that phone call?  Congrats on your son and your run!

Totally agree with what Holly wrote, tw...even made a note before I read her post to say something.

Kevin, clearly the lack of sleep didn't get to your sense of humor!  Love the cake.

Pshew, Ribs.....so relieved at the great news.

Way to be prudent Leslie.  And Holly, it will get better.

Jay, good clinic.  There were some speedy women racewalkers at the 10K we did today.   I'll get the times when they're posted.  DH wzs in at 1:18 and I came in at 48:33, almost 5 minutes slower than an October 10K....but I am just glad to be running.

And so happy Jay's on Team RA for Somerville!   Weather is looking super (so it will probably change, I know).  Yippee!

I bailed last night, too......but listened today while doing some cooking for the week.  Yay!

Anyone see giraffe cam on the national news?  Awww.....  the baby was about 150 lbs and nearly 6 feet at birth.....and it took less than an hour for it (gender not known yet) to stand up......needs to do that to nurse, so good motivated there!  Google it if you missed it.   Worth it!

Grins, A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)