Masters Running

Sunday 12/21 - First Day of Winter Runs and Fun (Read 512 times)

I’m still struggling to keep up with things around here: Thursday - 5 easy miles - 41:19 (8:16) - 8:31 - 8:23 - 8:17 - 8:08 - 8:00 Friday – NO RUN – After work DW and I had planned on driving to Vermont to pick up our oldest granddaughter for a weekend visit (family Christmas party on Saturday) then we were to drive her home on Sunday. Well the storm screwed that up and we made it to Rochester, NH which took about 40 minutes longer than it should have and we ended up turning around…just too dangerous to keep going. Cry We were all quite disappointed that she wouldn’t get to see the rest of the family, especially for the party. But we know it was the wise decision, and with today’s Nor’easter scheduled to arrive this afternoon I am totally convinced we did the right thing. Saturday - 9 miles progressive – (on the treadmill) my running buddies were meeting at 11 to run on the beach which would have been great, except our family Christmas party was at 12 and I had to plow the driveway so off to the gym after that: 1:07:21 – (7:29) 8:01 - 7:49 - 7:43 - 7:36 - 7:32 - 7:28 - 7:12 - 6:33 - 7:22 Today I’m headed out to run with my friends, right now it is 6 degrees with a wind chill of -8…Brrrr. Shocked Oh well I’m dressed for it, and I hate to miss these weekend runs with my friends so I’ll weather the cold and hit the roads this morning. Great run yesterday Bill, your long runs are really coming along nicely. Smile Holly, congrats on the 1st AG and 1st OA wow!! Wink Nice runs to all, hopefully I'll have time to check back in later today and not have to play catch up!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Maine, it's warm at your house, lol! -1 real temp at ours. Rest day for me today, thank goodness! Snow is supposed to start around 1 pm. 8 to 20 inches predicted. I'm glad I made a major grocery store trip on Friday, because we can hunker down. We're supposed to host a small piano recital at our house at 3 pm. I'm hoping it's not canceled, because I've made stuff for it! The severe weather isn't scheduled to begin until 6 pm, so maybe the Mainers will be hardy and show up. The winter storm warning ends at 5 am Monday. I wonder if they will get things cleaned up in time to hold school?? Our district doesn't seem to go for delayed openings. My kids will be dying, because two of them have big tests tomorrow. Do (did) you ever get so proud of your kids you want to explode? DS16, the runner, just got accepted into the National Honor Society as a Junior, and is finishing up his Eagle Scout application. He will be sorely missed around here in a year and a half when he goes off to college. Maybe he'll start acting up a little so we'll be happier to see him go! (oops, I didn't really say that)

Renee the dog

Well Teresa, thanks to your wisdom on Sarge's thread, I sucked it up, made a raincover out of a trash bag, and went swimming running for 4.5 miles in our pouring rain here at the coast. It was 30 when I started, 32 when I finished, and not a slippery step to be had. I had my trail shoes on thinking I'd have to crunch it out on the sand for safety, but ended up running streets, boardwalk and then sand. We're flooding, so by 1/2 mi in, my feet were soaked. I kept thinking while out there, "Man, this would have been a good snowstorm." I came home, disrobed on the front porch and wrung all my clothes out before entering the house. Unbelievably, my MIL was not right inside the door to see me come walking in in my skivvies. Big grin That would pretty much define our relationship -- every time I do something odd, she's right there to witness it. Black eye Thanks for the hugs on the thread yesterday. Today is another day. Perhaps Mom will be sprung today and will still be allowed to come here for Christmas. And if not, we can do it the following week. I think I just feel the pressure of time possibly running short. Good runs, rests, sledding, skiing, shoveling to all!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm doing a bit of catching up. Tall, it's good to hear from you. fatozzig, sorry to hear about the job but glad to hear there are some prospects. bike, you continue to show your generosity. You're a good guy. mariposai, I'm glad to hear your car incident didn't have any terrible results. holly, that was a pretty fast simulated 5K. Congrats on winning OA and in AG. spareribs, nice 5K. You're recovering well. runningindc, I'm glad to hear your come back is doing well. PBJ, it's good to hear from you. teresa, congrats to your son on the NHS and Eagle Scout. Nice long runs for perch, peter, breger, holly, and mariposai. Yesterday I did a mediocre 5K and will post a report later. This morning, I hit the TM at the normal 1% and 6.2mph (9:40/mi). I planned on 5 miles but was struggling enough that I quit at 4. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Top 'O the World!

Did I ever say how much I love my Saloman Goretex shoes for Winter running....? Yes haven't had to dig out the YakTraks yet & I love havin' toasty feet!....but am drooling over the snowshoes...however, still working out the upper body layering for the changing temps.....up to 8* so far....heading out as soon as somebody comes (wakes up) to take over w/this baby sitting in my lap... Wink Sorry it didn't work out for your GD Maine. Sad better safe!! Very kewl Teresa~! Grin away! Wink
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

King of PhotoShop

Nice progression Maine! You are a quick one. Theresa, that was a joy to read. What a great kid. Hang in there Nono. And you can undress on my porch without any rebuke from me. Back in the 20's here and I am chicken to go out but will in a few minutes for recovery run. But before I do, may I beg a favor of you? Riblet played this for me yesterday and I filmed it and put it on YouTube. He wants to wish you all a Merry Christmas. I told him I would help him get a few hundred hits, so please give it a play if you're in the holiday spirit. Thanks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LBZ2dcOic Spareribs
                Riblet played this for me yesterday and I filmed it and put it on YouTube. He wants to wish you all a Merry Christmas. I told him I would help him get a few hundred hits, so please give it a play if you're in the holiday spirit. Thanks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LBZ2dcOic Spareribs
                Checked it out.....good stuff! I love the jazzy version.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Good morning all! I missed yesterday's thread but went back and read it. PBJ! Its very good to see you. Come back and post some more. I think of you every time I run an 8 miler. Bill, excellent long run yesterday. Holly, greta job on the simulated 5K. I agree with whoever said that you have great discipline. I don't think I could run a 5K all out without actually having other people to help me out. I think I could do it in training but only with other folks to compete against. It sounds like you are in better shape than you thought and can adjust your paces. dg, I agree with Ribs and Aamos. There is no need to train for the 5K. You are running it to determine your current fitness. That said, I don't advise running a 20 miler the day before or anything. You want to be somewhat rested before you run it so you can give it a good effort. Nono, I am sorry to hear about your mother. I hope that you are able to have her visit even if it is not until next week. Maine, super run yesterday. You are very speedy! Teresa, brag away! It's fantastic that your son is doing so well. I am sure you will miss him when he goes off to college. Ribs, I think Riblet is up to 36 views already so he should not have any problem hitting 100. He sounds great. My son is learning to play Deck the Halls on his guitar, though not the swing version. 9 GA miles for me this morning in 7:54 pace. I need to seek out a 5K myself to justify that pace. Yesterday, I ran a 5 miler at almost exactly the same pace. I was planning 14 this morning but my dh wanted to surf early so I didn't have time to get it in. As it turned out, 9 was perfect. The skies opened up right as I got home and it's pouring rain now. I will move my 14 miler to Wednesday when I will have the day off and more time to run.

Once a runner . . .

Tramps

Lots of nasty weather and brave runners. Messy sleet, rain mix with wind today, so I was glad I got out for my long run yesterday. I could feel yeserday's hilly run in my quads today so I did a little light core work, stretched, and used my foam roller. Much better.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Meg, 7:54 looks just right for GA for you. I'm back. Took Lucy with me and ran 3 untimed miles. Other than that nagging piriformis/ham muscle that has been bugging me for years, I felt just fine. Spareribs
                      xor

Compact ice. 9 inches of snow over that. quarter inch of ice on top of that. Traction is pretty good, but every step sinks me. And I can't find my snow shoes. Looks like another day for Wii Fit hula hooping.

Meg, 7:54 looks just right for GA for you.
                          I have to agree -- I don't believe that 5K time you quoted the other day for a minute -- it was way too close to mine, and I know how much faster you are than me. Maine is another fast one -- I'm always amazed. Quick post because I'm starving. 16.2 miles, 2:23:36, 8:52/mi, AHR 146 Progression targets 5@9:30, 6@9:05, 5@8:40, actual pace(HR) 9:18(139), 8:58(143), 8:21(152) I have a little trouble running that slowly. Smile And I broke 2000 miles for the year today. Not a PR year, but still a good year. Last night we went to a party at our friend's stained glass store. She gave us a lesson and we blew glass, making Christmas ornaments. What fun! She also has an amazing collection of what they call cartoons (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon for the meaning in this context) -- outlines of stained glass designs (hand drawn) for church stained glass windows. They're working on re-hydrating them (the paper is crumbly if you don't do that), and preserving them. Definitely one of the more interesting parties we've been to.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

pfriese

WRFB, congrats on 2000 miles for the year. Spareribs, Riblet was great. DW & I enjoyed your video very much. Riblet, what a talented young man! Just 3 miles on the treadmill for me today. I had nothing scheduled, just felt like I needed to run for a bit and did not want to bundle up to run outside. Have a great week everyone. Paul
                            Mariposai

That Riblet is has talent! Thanks for sharing this with us Spareribs. White fluffy snow has been falling from the sky for hours around here. It is too bad that there is a sheet of ice underneath it, which makes driving and being out there a bit treacherous. Glad to see that Ribs was brave enough to face his COLLLLLLLLLLd weather. How did Lucy handle the outing? I have to go back to read about Holly's 5k. Maine, have fun with the family. Off to the Methow to visit friend. May run later just for the fun of it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nono way to tough it out Cool Teresa you have a lot to be proud of with that young man of yours Smile Has he picked a college yet? Some really rough conditions out there for many today, not too bad here in NE Ohio yet 24F with 2 inch snow and 15-20 MPH wind. Club had relay race today with 3 person teams running 1 mile loop each. The pretty hilly park road was mostly clear. My team finished 2nd out of 7 teams. I anchored and got the baton (large candy cane) in 3rd about 1 minute behind 1st and 40 seconnds behind 2nd. I knew I could catch 2nd but knew 1st would tough. I ran harder than I have in several years probably. Finished my loop in 6:30 Big grin but about 3 seconds behind the winner. Prize was a mug and $5 Starbucks gift card. It felt good maybe I'll start doing some speed work Roll eyes DS & DD went to the Browns game today Shocked I don't mind running in the cold but I hate sitting in it, besides I don't go to any pro football games too crazy. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.