Masters Running

Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon RR (Read 390 times)

huskydon

Short Version: Goal: 1:50:00, chip time 1:49:53, PR by 2:19, very pleased with results. Nice course and race. Long Version: I wasn’t able to run at Palos Verdes, so I signed up for this race (formerly the Saddleback Half Marathon). Nine days before, I got sick and missed two runs. Fortunately I recovered enough to meet my goal. Yay! This morning, it was actually raining, so we were all happy when the weather stayed dry. It was about 57 degrees, cloudy, nearly ideal conditions. The first eight miles is largely downhill, and the final five are mostly uphill. This is a point to point course, and it is a net downhill. There are lots of rolling hills here! My plan was to push on the early downhill portions and ease up on the up hill portions. But my quads were already complaining by mile 7! A little later, they are handing out gu, but I stick to my fig newtons. To break 1:50, I have to run 8:24 miles. At one point, I am over two minutes ahead and start to dream about breaking 1:49. But then, I start to give it back. With a mile to go, I have 39 seconds in the bank, but I am really suffering. When I see the finish line, I see that I am going to break 1:50 chip time, but miss on the gun time (who cares about that anyway?). This is about as good as I can do, I think. Next step is to rest up and join my brothers at the Green River Marathon Relay. I like the course, even though it is not easy (I never met a flat course I didn't like). It is on trails and streets, but the streets have a lot of attractive greenery. Registration was well organized and there were plenty of parking & facilities. I ran into a co-worker, and we hung out a bit, he introducing me to his Orange County friends. We walked back to the start line, instead of waiting in the long line for the shuttle. The expo was good. I was impressed by the pizza from the California Pizza Kitchen and muffins from Souplantation restaurants. Yum! Blue cotton T-shirt (last years was a technical shirt) and no medal! Instead, we got a large commemorative glass. Medals were for the AG winners. Again, a bit strange, no formal ceremony, if you were in the top 3, you went up to the table and claimed your prize. I was 28 of 73 in the AG. 1320 runners completed the half marathon and 1203 finished the 5K, making this one of the larger events in Orange County. Thanks for reading!
    HermosaBoy

I always worry when the race name says Hill, Valley or Mountain... Wink Nice job of racing to achieve your goal. That is a very satisfying PR!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mariposai

Short Version: Goal: 1:50:00, chip time 1:49:53, PR by 2:19, very pleased with results. Nice course and race.
        Yeah, you should be very pleased with that huge PR. I really enjoyed reading your report. It seems like you had a plan and did your best to stick to it and the results show. Congrats!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I enjoyed this report and congratulate you on your PR. I have just one small issue with it: "This is about as good as I can do, I think." I don't believe so. You ran a very tough course, and the best time to think about a new PR is after you have just run one. You did a fine job on this race. You thought it through in advance, executed a tough hilly course and got a PR. What's wrong with thinking about the next one? I bet you can do it. You are a fine runner. Nice going, and great report. Spareribs
          HermosaBoy

"This is about as good as I can do, I think." I don't believe so. You ran a very tough course, and the best time to think about a new PR is after you have just run one. You did a fine job on this race. You thought it through in advance, executed a tough hilly course and got a PR. What's wrong with thinking about the next one? I bet you can do it. You are a fine runner. Nice going, and great report. Spareribs
            I agree! Head to the downhill half in Fontana and kick some half marathon butt!!!! Evil grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

huskydon, well done! You lucked out with the weather Smile considering it was 30 deg F hotter at PV. Great PR and finishing time on a tough course. That's good to know about the great yummies after the race (I might want to try this race someday).
                Very well done!! I think it would be incredibily tough to pace yourself on a course that is mostly downhill the first half and mostly uphill the second half. Sub 1:50 is a dream goal for me. You did a great job out there! Must be something about Fig Newtons cause they were one of the few things I could eat during morning sickness years ago. Are you talking Green River as in near Seattle?? I still haven't run along there, but should someday.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

nice race!! congratulations on the PR!! i bet it was a beautiful course - i lived near Laguna Beach for a short time and I remember loving that area!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Nicely done! You beat your goal by a whopping 7 seconds, too! Big grin And a new PR. I agree with Ribs that you could probably set a lower goal for a flatter course. Congrats! What's next on your schedule?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nicely done. Thanks for the report. As has been said, that would be a tough course to adjust your pace on with the elevation difference between the start and the finish. You handled it well. Interesting that they changed the shirts and the awards. Wonder what the rationale for that was. At least the race remains and you were able to enjoy it. Congratulations on a good race.
                      Vista
                        Congrats Huskydon on a new PR on a tough course. You definantly have a faster one waiting out there. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Congratulations Huskydon! Very big PR Smile You just keep getting faster! You did make a good choice in HMs ..... PV was more of a challenge of survival this year with the heat. I would have run it with you (or I should say behind you) but we were down in Oceanside for the weekend with family. Besides the marathon relay what other races are you planning this summer? Jim
                            I have a question ... inquiring minds want to know ... why "HuskyDon"? From looking at your avatar, you are clearly not "Husky". At any rate, what Ribs said. Excellent Race! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Congratulations on the PR!!.. and with hills in the final miles! Francesca

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Great PR running HuskyDon but you were too fast for me even to see you in your family Green River Marathon Relay last year when you were slow!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)