Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 5.2.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' friends!

Just passing through, as I have a busy day ahead. This is also another BB (before breakfast) post, so I have to get it done before DW is ready to head out to our favorite dive for a a Friday breakfast treat.

Color me jealous of all you lucky folks who are having an AOTG meet-up this weekend. I know you'll all have a blast - don't forget there is a race on the schedule too! 

The reason that DW and I are going out for breakfast this morning is because I have a 5K tomorrow morning, and I'm hosting a couple of judged racewalks on Sunday morning, so my weekend mornings are well spoken-for. Where is the nephew for this breakfast treat, you ask? Sleeping in. We'll come back after breakfast, get him up, and give him a ride to work.

3.3 easy RW miles in a light rain this morning, as ordered by my massage therapist (the workout that is,not the rain...). I did a little light work on my right shin before heading out. My foot/ankle were still a little cranky out on the roads this morning, but not near as bad as a few days ago. So I'll do some more icing and stick work tonight, and am hoping that I'll be good to go for tomorrow's race.

There are a lot of folks racing this weekend, and I wish everyone fleet feet, big smiles, and great finishes!

Have a greta Friday too!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I was up early and got some good work done while I had the computer to myself.  Once it was light I went out for 5.2 miles.

Sayhey! MM#130

SAyhey, I missed it that you BQed, C-R!  When and where?  Belated congrats!

Oh-oh, no word from the right coast.  Someone should be up, it's past 6am there.   Too much partying?  (I have been guilty of too much partying with RA folks, totally haad to cop a plea .)  Check in out there!  Leslie, you're a Jay 0'Clock person.  Tapping my foot will commence at 7 am your time.

Speaking of that coast, I got "sub-seeded" at the San Francisco Marathon in July.  I think that means I'm on the B list .  Anyone here thinking of doing it?  It'd be a good barefoot run, I would think (I've done it 3x before) and they have a half.  Actually, they have 2 halves; you can choose to do the first half or the second.

Perch!  Stop by now and again!  So good to see you here.

And I love hearing from everyone, on a quick stop over or pouring out your heart.    Please don't ever hesitate to post because you only have a moment.  Right, everyone?

Holly, thanks so much.  I sorta feel like I lost a part of me and have it back.  I really like it here

I really like the Sox and am trying to understand that the rookies will come around and it will all be ok in the end.  I mean, they don't need to win it all every year (that would be like the Yankee$) but I would enjoy getting and staying out of the cellar, please, baseball gods?

So Jay, you didn't tell us what is the breakfast treat.  (Note placement of preposition, Erika).  Salivating taste buds want to know.

Ribs, you home yet???

Bridge work for me last night, so easy-peasy this am, just 5.25 at a 10+ minute mile pace.  We have a 5K tomorrow morning that is going to benefit special needs kiddoes and Special Equestrians.  The RD is a running mom who pushes her daugher Kayla (The race is the Run For Kayla 5K) in races and is speedy beyond belief.  She has organized a short run for a group of kids with special needs, has medals for them, lots of gift prizes; just a colossally super job.  Here are the specs:  Run for Kayla.

After that, I head out to Palm Bluff, if the car and the bird (Simon's coming along in his travel cage) allow, where I will attempt my first ultra.  Ack!

Have a wonderful Friday and fun weekends.  May I live to tell on the other side!

grins, <<gulp>>

Amos

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

3.5 run/walk miles this morning.  Trying to keep the hamstring happy without totally losing all my fitness.  Our summer weather is definitely back.  The leg doesn't seem to be barking much.

I've been going to the same Dentist for the last 25 years and yesterday was my last Appt. with them.  I love the Dr. and the whole Staff.  This moving thing has it's drawbacks.

Busy weekend planned.  Tonight DW and I are going out with Pastor and his DW.  Saturday night we go out with 2 couples my DW works with.  Sunday after Church we are being roasted / toasted / lied about by the Church (mainly the music program) at a local sports bar watering hole.  I suspect I will gain 10 pounds with all this going on.

I've been trying to find a used Trailer to buy so I can haul my stuff north.  (U-haul wants nearly $1,000 for a rental trailer.  Yikes.)  Who knew it would be so hard to find a used Trailer?  Still looking as one got sold out from under me last night.

T-minus 6 days and counting ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I ran my last run pre marathon this morning, a whopping 4 miles.  Now I have to type up a list of questions for Holly S. about the race start.  Then I have to stop procrastinating and get some work done before heading out to my flight this afternoon.

Good luck to all out west!  Have fun at Ave. of the G's!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

3 miles this morning through my neighbourhood with mariposai and easy pacer.

60F and sunny, already at this time of day.

oof!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

No running for us this am.  Legs tired from walking SF hills yesterday.  Off to Santa Rosa by way of muir woods.

good luck to all racers this w/e.

Marj posting under Henrun as I hate posting on phone

TammyinGP

Having met Bill and his lovely DW, I know what real, genuine and enjoyable people they are, so it's no surprise that there will be a special roast in your honor. I know you will be missed by your friends and your church family greatly. And soon you will plant your feet in your new community and form new wonderful friendships there.  

I'm leaving tomorrow and haven't done a thing yet to get ready. I'm notorious for this though. Tomorrow a.m., David is running in a local 5K race. He just decided last minute to do this. So we'll watch the race, head home, get my stuff packed and I hope to be on the road by late 11:00 and should arrive at the cottage by 4:00 ish I'm thinking. probably earlier. I'm stopping to get my packet on the way down. Anyone need their packet picked up?

Aamos - David is a huge Mariner fan so I've already been watching more baseball then I normally do in an entire season. We had a nice little sweep in NY, although the series did get shortened to 2.

Tammy

Hello everyone!  I'm new to this thread, hope you have room for another golden runner!

A 'regular' on a the "50 and older" thread but I will need to have more master runners to be accountable to as we begin to thaw out from the darn polar vortexes (vortices?) in northern MN .  My total April miles was 86.17.......somehow I managed to plow through the endless windy, frigid winter conditions, LOL!! We still had SNOW last week!!  I'm not a fan of the dreadmill so I'm outside trudging through the wind and cold dressed as a 'ninja' ...... I actually prefer trail running.  DH and I relocated to the pretty flat, 1300 ft elevation area of northern MN almost 2 yrs ago (work related, DH's aging parents in neighboring ND) from mountainous, 7,000+ ft elevation of northern AZ.  I'm originally from NM.  We lived in north central North Dakota for about 10 yrs ......last century ('90s) so I'm familiar with the winters (first question asked, haha).  Also lived in central TX and Denver, CO.  Anyway, I hope to 'meet' each of you and share some running experiences.  I did start off the month of May with a steady, easy run of 5.25 miles and post-run recovery was some ballroom dancing.  Rest today.

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, good luck at your 5k tomorrow!

You too, Aamos!  I can't believe you're running a 5k the day before your first ultra, though...   Have a great time!  I can't wait to hear about it!  I'm glad you're back here, too!

Byll - congrats on your retirement and upcoming move!  Hope you enjoy the parties in your honor.

Very cool that Enkie, Posie, and the Easy Pacer ran together this am, and are traveling together to the Avenue!  See you guys tomorrow!

Tammy, I haven't started packing either.  Not that I need much for a 4 day trip.  Looking forward to meeting you!  And I'm looking forward to meeting Leslie & Shorty, and Henry & Marj, and to seeing Mike and Sue R. again.

I hope  Holly, Twocat, and IBUB have a good time at the Flying Pig this weekend.  How fun that we have two RA race gatherings going on at the same time!

Speaking of RA race gatherings, why haven't we seen any  pictures of Robin's Boston Marathon partay???

Welcome az2mntrail!  Thanks for introducing yourself, and I hope you'll post often!  I run outside in the snow all winter, too.

I ran 4 miles yesterday and will run 4 or 5 today, then rest tomorrow for Sunday's race!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

You too, Aamos!  I can't believe you're running a 5k the day before your first ultra, though...

me either but at least you'll have a good excuse for the dreaded DNF's that are haunting me so much recently and I don't even run the day beforehand, if not the month before.  Don't  worry though and try to have fun, . . . if possible.

ps tammy.  me too.

Maybe you can bring David up in September and see them too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

me either but at least you'll have a good excuse for the dreaded DNF's that are haunting me so much recently and I don't even run the day beforehand, if not the month before.  Don't  worry though and try to have fun, . . . if possible.

ps tammy.  me too.

Maybe you can bring David up in September and see them too.

as of right now, it's looking like we're trying to plan on Seahawks wknd for Sep 19-22. The Hawks only have one Sunday home game in Sep (one is a Thurs night game) and they only have one home game in October. I'd rather go in Sep when the weather will be warmer and once it gets past October, I have no desire to drive through passes that may get early snowstorms.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello everyone!  I'm new to this thread, hope you have room for another golden runner!

Jump on in, the water's fine....  Welcome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I hope  Holly, Twocat, and IBUB have a good time at the Flying Pig this weekend.  How fun that we have two RA race gatherings going on at the same time!

I tried to see if IBUB could join us for lunch on Saturday but he is running a HM with his DS.  He is doing some impressive running these days!

Hope the Avenue of the Giants meet up is awesome!  (I know it will be.)

No run for me today.  I had to go into Dayton today to be deposed in a case.  I notarized a signature last year for a client who died shortly thereafter, and family members are challenging. Not a comfortable experience.  Blech.

So Happy it is Friday!

Looking forward to meeting Twocat and Mrs. Twocat tomorrow! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

A 'regular' on a the "50 and older" thread but I will need to have more master runners to be accountable to as we begin to thaw out from the darn polar vortexes (vortices?) in northern MN .  My total April miles was 86.17.......somehow I managed to plow through the endless windy, frigid winter conditions, LOL!! We still had SNOW last week!!  I'm not a fan of the dreadmill so I'm outside trudging through the wind and cold dressed as a 'ninja' ...... I actually prefer trail running.  DH and I relocated to the pretty flat, 1300 ft elevation area of northern MN almost 2 yrs ago (work related, DH's aging parents in neighboring ND) from mountainous, 7,000+ ft elevation of northern AZ.  I'm originally from NM.  We lived in north central North Dakota for about 10 yrs ......last century ('90s) so I'm familiar with the winters (first question asked, haha).  Also lived in central TX and Denver, CO.  Anyway, I hope to 'meet' each of you and share some running experiences.  I did start off the month of May with a steady, easy run of 5.25 miles and post-run recovery was some ballroom dancing.  Rest today.

Welcome to the group! I'm formerly from MN - grew up and went to school in the Twin Cities.  I don't get back as often as I'd like, but will be going back this October for a long weekend.

Tammy