Masters Running

Reality Monday 3/4/13 (Read 49 times)

Mariposai

Good Monday my running friends!

I am typing this as the sun is starting to knock on my dinning room window! My morning run was sproinky, which shows me that I am totally recovered from my long hilly 16 miler on Friday. Moving forward with my training for Yakima Valley marathon in 5 weeks. This 10 weeks marathon training plan is challenging, but slowly and surely I am getting the miles I need to run at least a one 20 miler before April 6th. Being sick for so long did not help with the build up, but Yakima Valley is for the fun only. Yeah, I know I am crazy!

May your Monday be fun!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi Mariposai...

First day of vacay...ran an easy 5 miles...not going anywhere, just going to help my DW with spring cleaning...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Good morning everyone, sorry I've been absent for a few days.  This past week was just a whirlwind of activities between my good friend's son passing and the services, budget woes with work, an MRI on my right shoulder etc.  This was the first time in quite some time that I missed running three days in a row and I'm not even injured (well except for the shoulder).

Our group did get in a great 15 mile long run on Saturday and I ran an easy recovery 5 miler yesterday.  Hopefully I'll get in a full week this week.

I am also really looking forward to seeing the doctor Friday for a follow up on my shoulder so that he can read the MRI and let me know exactly what the issue is.

On a more positive note you may recall me talking about selling an apartment house that we own, well I got a call last Thursday telling me that we had an offer.  It is now under contract with a tentative closing date of April 12th.  The buyer is from the area and absolutely wanted this building and plans on living in the second floor apartment.  He is just 26 and lost out on a couple of buildings after tyring to play the numbers game and after taking a look at our units called my realtor and gave a full offer as he didn't want to risk losing out on it.  He is pre-approved so everything should be good to go as long as the inspection process goes well which it should.

As a result of all this DW & I have cancelled our trip to Arizona and we are headed back down to Florida to look more closely at something down there, that way once everything is all set up here (and it is a done deal) we'll be ready to make an offer on something down there.

Have a great day everyone.

King of PhotoShop

Good job in sticking with the plan Mariposai.  It will all come together.

Last night's dinner with the entire Rib family was terrific.  Brisket, corn salad, slaw, drunken beans, rolls, just old-fashioned TX bbq joint stuff.  After dinner we sat around arguing about what game we would play, and settled on "Authors".  OrangeMat, do you have Longfellow's "Evangeline"? What laughs. Here we are:

Left to right are SpareTire, Riblet, Prime Rib, S.T.'s daughter and I.

4.4 slow miles on the dirt this morning with my gimpy RP.

My post is up on the Dallas Morning News site regarding the bridge run Saturday when I volunteered as the banana man.  And there's a good racing tip in the first paragraph for those of you who find yourselves racing when you ought to rest:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/sing-us-a-song-youre-the-banana-man.html/

Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Hey, I just wanted to check in, real quick, and remind anybody that wants to do the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon, that registration begins tomorrow at noon PST.  I'm really hoping I'm around a computer at that time...which, I believe, is 10:00am my time.

Okay--that's it--gotta go!

C-R

Right now the light at the end of my tunnel is an oncoming train. I.E. I need to lose some weight and get some food discipline fast.

Nice sale Maine. Full offer is great. Now you can be a picky buyer.

Yakima ins't crazy since it's just for fun. Right. Big grin

Lynde - vacation is for ramping up miles. Right??

Nice family ribs. From the look of the picture you need a bigger couch.

10k at lunch today on easy pace. Left ankle was a bit dodgy today.

Have a great day.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nice family photo Ribs!!
                Congratulations on the upcoming sale Maine!!

JeffD - how did you enjoy Black Cat?  I would have loved to run that with many of my MVS friends, but it was my weekend too work and just too complicated to switch this time!!

Felt great to be back outside this morning after working 3 days in a row - they really drain me, but fortunately yesterday was a rare slow day for us and then last night I soaked in the hot tub for at least 30 minutes!!

Ran 7.4 miles of rolling hills with a couple of my MVS friends also training for Boston - well they did 5.5 and I added on because of the 3 non-running days I just had!!   Love running with friends away from where I live - so nice to see different scenery, parts along a lake, and I love rolling hills ..... yes, that is my new saying I LOVE HILLS Wink

denise

Slo

Hey All !

2013 has started out on a tough note for me running wise. I've been fighting a knee injury and last week I thought it was going to end my running.

I have run the last two days in a row with almost no pain...Bottom line. Ya gotta take care of the swelling. I have been diligent with the ice applications. I rarely take Ibuprofen but at the urging of my PT friend also started taking those.

Last week I would cringe at the thought of walking up or down stairs...for the last two days I've been bounding up and down them like my old self. (No Ibuprofen today)

Besides that, I've been pretty busy here at work and haven't had a good opportunity to chime in.

I'm chompin at the bit to get my weekly miles back and shed these extra pounds I've picked up.

wildchild

Carolyn

Lyndenrunner - helping with cleaning doesn't sound like a vacation!  Hope you're doing something for fun!
                    Maine - congrats on selling the apartment - hope you find a nice place in Florida. And I hope your shoulder is okay.
                    Mike - thanks for the reminder about the Tunnel marathon!  I'm planning on it.
                    Holly - nice to hear your DS is running! And that they had any shoes in his size at all!  And congrats to your DD on an undefeated season. Nice long run yesterday. I see you've passed that pace bunny!
                    Tet - congrats on 3rd AG!  
                    Sarge - nice to hear the race you directed went well. Congrats!  That must be a lot of work.
                    Erika, I hear you about how hard it is to run in snow. But it's a good workout, anyway!

I did another 25 mile run yesterday.  I started out on Rollins Pass Rd, but it's pretty exposed and there was a wicked headwind coming off the divide.  (Mike - about as strong as at the WY marathon!)  When it got so strong I was forced to a walk, I turned around and ran back down, and the tailwind gusts sometimes pushed me faster than I wanted to be running on the icy parts!  I decided that running was supposed to be fun, and I wasn't having much, so I bailed after 11.5 miles and drove to a more sheltered road to finish my run.  The 2nd part was much more fun, although it had some very steep parts, and I finished feeling strong. It was warm enough by noon that I wished I was wearing shorts, but I just rolled up the legs of my tights and looked like a dork.  Roll eyes  This is the elevation profile of the 2nd part:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

So I always come in here, feeling really good about my run and wanting to share, and then I read Wildchild's posts and say "never mind...."

Big grin

Wow, what a run you had, Carolyn! What's coming up on your race schedule? I know it's an ultra of some sort, which is why you're doing 25 mile training runs, right? Amazing stuff, as always...

Light at the End of the Tunnel, that might be on my list for 2014. And St. George too, though I heard that one is a lottery and tough to get into. So many marathons, so little time... and funds.... Smile

11.02 miles of hills today, no drills, just speed pickups on the uphills as well as the downs. Average pace was 9:23, which was 20 seconds too fast for this run. Oops! Even with the 17mph winds making me feel like I was running in place, I guess I did have some forward motion going on there. Felt fantastic.

MTA: Welcome back, Slo! I was just wondering where you had been these past couple weeks. Smile

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

you missed the first part.  He got the fun part out of the wasy BEFORE cleaning Wink

Lyndenrunner - helping with cleaning doesn't sound like a vacation!  Hope you're doing something for fun!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...Glad you're doing better Slo/////////

=========

rest day

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Ignoring that elevation profile, Wildchild.  My last couple of runs have been pancake flat.

Saw 3 cardinals during my run this morning.  They must have been on their way to Rome!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Quick post, a little marital crisis going on here..(sigh)

No run for me this morning, just 20 minutes or so of upper body weights and more core, plus 4 burpees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I knew it I knew it!  Here I would be all ready to moan and groan about the hills in my race this Sunday and there would be a post with a wildchild run.  So here it is the elevation profile of my apparently pancake flat 25K

Boston Buildup 25K Elevation Profile

Well I finished and my pace was faster than in the flatter 20K race I ran two weeks ago. I am still far from being back but things are moving in the right direction.

Slo_Hand glad to hear the knee problem was short lived.

Opie great line! LOL  I have to remember it for tomorrow!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/