Masters Running

THE WEEKLY RUN & X-TRAINING GROUP W/E JAN 11TH (Read 507 times)

Tallies soon Tongue I'm sorry,but I think I'm going to take a break from RA for awhile...I just don't find myself looking forward to posting...I'll continue to look in...Gordon
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      Mon-6@8:30 Tue-Rest Wed-5@8:26 Thur-5@8:20 Fri-4@8:17 Sat- Sun- Total=
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Thanks, Gordon ~ Mon - Day off. Medical appt and couldn't eat or drink from midnight last night until after the appt. today at 11:30. Evil grin Tues - Has anybody seen my motivation? If so, please return it to Pull Your Head Out of Your Butt, PO Box 5555, Boo Hoo, CA 95555. Wed - 30 min stationary bike; 30 min upper body strength/core Thurs - 45 min s.b.; 10 min core Fri - Cleaning @ work, therefore, X-training. Wink Sat - 8.25 trail miles in 2:00:16. My first run in almost 2 weeks. Sun - My coach thinks I strained/stressed the calcaneo-fibular ligament and anterior talo-fibular ligaments, so no running for me for awhile, just biking and upper body and core.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dutchie42

Hi everyone, thanks Gordon. Mon... knee's were tender, probably from my icey run yesterday so made it a rest day. Tue....L-knee fine, R-knee still tender. Wed..same Thu...same Fri....30min of ub endurance, ex abs, and an 8.5K really easy on the TM. Knees seem fine, woohoo. Sat...8.8K out on the asphalt with Spooky. She was soooo keen to go running. Foot is doing great. Sun..first 30min of self defense instruction then 12.9K with Spooky. Total mileage: 30.2km, bit more than last week. Fatozigg: did you go see the doc for your injury?

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Fatozigg: did you go see the doc for your injury?
            No, but what my coach told me said it sounds like to him is dead on. No specific pain when mashing around on a bony area, not localized, etc. He sent me a diagram of a the ligaments, and 2 out of the 3 areas that are indicated are the ones that are bothering me. I think I (1) wore over-mileaged shoes for too long, and (2) overdid it on some of my shin strengthening exercises. I have new shoes on order, and definitely won't run again until I get them.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Monday - sinuses still not right, but didn't want to use 1st day back to school as an excuse not to run, so: run 3.0; walk 1.0; so slow that I should put run in quotation marks Tuesday - sinuses still pounding and freezing rain outside, so: stretch and strength at home this evening Wednesday - cold, windy, raining, and dark - can only manage 2, maybe three of those at a time, not all 4 so . . . . . rest Thursday - cold, windy, and dark; ran 3.5 in new shoes; walked 1.0 Friday - cold; beautiful sunset; ran 3.5 and walked 1.0 in old shoes Saturday - rest Sunday - ran 5.6 and walked 0.8 on the cold, windy boardwalk - it was fantastic! (except my thighs and butt are still frozen) Shocked Totals - Ran 15.6; walked 3.8; slightly more stretching/strength than in 2008; life is good Wink Gordon, we will miss you! Hurry back! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

pfriese

Thanks Gordon, On vacation with little internet access this week. M - 7.9 miles running & 5 miles bicycling - done T- 6.7 miles running - done W - 8 miles running - done Th - 8.1 mles running - done F - rest day - done Sa - 12 miles running - done Su - travel day - in progress ________________________________ Total - 42.7 miles running & 5 miles bicycling - Done Paul
                  Ooh, I like this group and this thread. Big grin Mon-7.6 @ 5:45am Tue- 8.2 @ 6:00am Wed- weight training, 3.5 mile recovery run Thur- 7.6 @6:15am Fri- weight training, no running or cardio. Trying to get 11-12 tomorrow and another 5 Sunday to go >40 for week Big grin Sat- 12.1 miles 9:05 pace. Felt pretty good but man was it cold. 8 degrees at the start. Sun- Total=

Ooh, I like this group and this thread. Big grin
                    Welcome! BTW - Did you find my motivation on your way in here today?? Wink

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Welcome! BTW - Did you find my motivation on your way in here today?? Wink
                      Heh, I don't know you well but I know you know that motivation is something that no one else can find for you. Smile But I did battle shin splints in the past - so I know how frustrating they can be. Shin exercises never did much for me but calf stretching is a must. Good luck!

dg.

thanks Gordon! gordon.... we'll miss you. waving to warm Erika! I hope everybody gets better soon! me too. I finally had a couple of weeks that were good (for me), overdid again last week & the piriformis/hammie combo are back. hurts to walk, so am being careful. shins are a lot better though.. Hi George! welcome! & thanks for your comment re shin strengthening & calf stretching. that's what seemed right to me too, but everything I read (& a personal trainer) said to do shin strengthening things.. just seemed to make them worse but I thought I might be wrong so kept trying them. Mon: 2.57 mile recovery run, 20 min. on the elliptical. tues: 30 min. prehab taking 2 days off for butt healing. Wink. Wed: slept till 5:30. Shocked. I will blame my sinuses. a little strength training but nothing to brag about. well, I never do anything to brag about. shoveled snow a couple of times. Thurs. 4.04 miles, 9:32 pace. 12 min. on the bike, 2 sets on the weight machines. more snow shoveling. light & fluffy. Fri: 4.19 miles 9:42 pace. 17 min. elliptical, stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks, russian twists. butt hurts less than yesterday. yay. Sat: shoveled 1000 times. injured runner dvd (30 min.), 1 mile run 1 mile walk through 10' of snow. (might have been 8") Sun: in theory, LR. paths hadn't been plowed, very rough going. 4.3 miles, 13min. pace. 30 min. elliptical, 20 min. bike, 30 min. upper body weights & stab. ball usual stuff. totals. 16.1 miles running, some walking, 32.5 min. bike, 50 min. elliptical, 2 hr. 10 min. strength training. hammie/piriformis rehab things. sigh. no.. bad bad attitude. rehab things. Big grin.
                          Hi George! welcome! & thanks for your comment re shin strengthening & calf stretching. that's what seemed right to me too, but everything I read (& a personal trainer) said to do shin strengthening things.. just seemed to make them worse but I thought I might be wrong so kept trying them.
                          Thank you for the welcome. Nothing against shin strengthening at all. Just wasn't the thing that helped me. What will help can also depend on what kind of shin splints they are. I was misdiagnosed as an overpronator in a running store and put in stability shoes that caused extremely painful posterior shin splints. Today I run in neutrals with no problems. But I'm faithful about stretching the calves and achilles- they can be the root of all leg evils.

Thanks for all your work on this thread, Gordon. We'll miss you.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

dg.

Thank you for the welcome. Nothing against shin strengthening at all. Just wasn't the thing that helped me. What will help can also depend on what kind of shin splints they are. I was misdiagnosed as an overpronator in a running store and put in stability shoes that caused extremely painful posterior shin splints. Today I run in neutrals with no problems. But I'm faithful about stretching the calves and achilles- they can be the root of all leg evils.
                              you're welcome. oh.. I know. it all depends on the circumstances. iI shouldn't have been so dogmatic. I just got a little frustrated when I was trying to follow the directions & it made them worse. Mine were anterior/lateral. still 'aware' of them, but they're much better. I do remember a lot of calf tightness before they showed up though. I'm trying to remember to stretch my calves, along with piriformis & hamstrings several times in a day. wanted to ask about doing weights along w/your recovery run. does this work well for you? I'm a fairly new runner, & seem to be always coming back from some injury or another. I've just added recovery runs, but have only done a little easy cardio with them so I don't irritate anything. but I have a hard time fitting everything in... another day to do weights would be great.
                                wanted to ask about doing weights along w/your recovery run. does this work well for you? I'm a fairly new runner, & seem to be always coming back from some injury or another. I've just added recovery runs, but have only done a little easy cardio with them so I don't irritate anything. but I have a hard time fitting everything in... another day to do weights would be great.
                                Everybody's different but I almost always run after I weight train. It's a perfect time to get in an easy couple miles. I get up a little extra early and get to the gym early enough to lift weights and run after. I just dropped from weight training 3x per week to 2x per week b/c my marathon training just started. I built up gradually from running 3x per week to 4, then 5, 6 and now I can pretty much run every day as long as most are easy. I limit hard effort to once or twice a week tops. You have to build up to it. I will take a day off from running if I feel like I need it but even 2-3 really easy miles will sometimes make me feel better than doing nothing. I've had the anterior shin splints before but those are much easier to get rid of than the posterior kind. Toe taps before running pretty much took care of it for me. Overuse, ramping miles too quickly will cause them. Transitioning to a new shoe can do it too as I recently found out. One stretch I do for those is to kneel on the floor with my feet together and the tops of my feet flat on the floor. I sit and lean back so my butt pushes down on the back of my heels. I feel the stretch right in the front of my shins. I'll also "write" the letters of the alphabet with my feet under my desk at work.