Fleet feet to the Rosie Ruiz relay team, and to the other weekend racers:

09/19 DennisLey - Air Force Marathon - Dayton OH

09/19 evanflein - Equinox Marathon

09/19 henrun - Lung 5K, Chicago Il

09/19 Marj - Lung 5K, Chicago Il

09/20 rtravers - Melanoma Foundation 5K, Waltham, MA

09/20 milktruck - Trails to Ale 10K, Portland, ME

09/20 Coastwalker - Seaside 4-Miler, Kittery Point, ME

I'm off to work a hike-in water stop at a local Colorado Masters race.  My run yesterday felt back-to-normal, so I'll go for a run after the race on the way home.

Happy Saturday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Hi Carolyn! Have fun today, hauling water or whatever you'll be doing.

I'm not sure I totally understood Steve's post last night, but I hope everything is ok.

Up early (for me) to get something to eat and some coffee, then down for another hour or so. That's the best thing about living close to the race start. Takes us 15 minutes to get there and we'll add on a bit extra for a last minute pit stop at DH's office. It's lightly raining now but warmer than expected at 40° so that's good. It'll be cold at the top though, so I'm wearing a jacket and DH will have a spare and some dry gloves for me en route. Here's to staying on my feet the whole time!

Good morning ladies! Good luck today Erika. I hope the weather doesn't turn out to be as miserable as the forecast. And good luck to team Rosie and everyone else racing this weekend. Fleet feet to all of you.

Up early for an hour at the Y doing elliptical stuff, weights and core, then off to farmer's market to load up on fresh veggies. I also bought a pumpkin, which I know will not last until Halloween, but it just feels like fall today. My step-daughter, her husband and our grandson flew in from Seattle last night - they're going to the football game on Sunday night. Just don't ask me how much they paid for their tickets   Having a family get-together for them tonight since they don't get this way very often. Off to clean and cook...

Have a great weekend everyone!

mrrun

Erika - hope the weather stays better for you.  We looked at getting Cubs tix for this afternoon, but they were too pricey.  we also tried to get wait list for second city and failed.  however, we had an awesome dinner and martini last night so all was good.

ran a local 5K lung fundraiser this morning which was along lake michigan waterfront.  fortunately wind on our back on the return, but nice flat route with some puddle jumping.  last nite it poured, thundered and lightening - we got a weather alert on my phone (how do they know we're in chicago?)

wc - glad you're back to normal.

good luck to all other racers and RTB group!

marj

..erika//....I hope to never use the words'' 40-degrees'' and ''Warmer'' in the same sentence.....

============

80s here and humid............I love it

1st PT

and

3x20-min walks with cane

.....trial driving tomorrow.

......it never felt normal looking for Places to Bike....but I spotted a BUNCHA Places to Not-Run

.......................good running and racing to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Thinking kf Erika at the Equinox marathon.

Go Rosie Ruiz Fan Club team go!!!

I had tge chance to run 3 miles on the promenade of lake Ohrid,  Macedonia.  We are having such a good time with our son David.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good luck to the racers today.  steve, I hope you get some resolution to your problems.  It sounds rather frustrating so far.  Marj, nice 5K.  jlynne, enjoy the family time.  tomw, I enjoy reading about your recovery.  Keep it up.  mari, I'm glad to hear you are having a good time.

Nice long runs for ribs and Aamos.

This morning, it was in the high 60s, there was some wind, and it was humid.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:21 pace.

My wife and daughter worked last night and this morning making 45-50 pints of marinara sauce.  Today, they processed one batch in the pressure cooker and started a second batch before heading out to a baby shower.  I took the second batch out when it was done and am currently baby sitting the third and final batch.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

My wife and daughter worked last night and this morning making 45-50 pints of marinara sauce.  Today, they processed one batch in the pressure cooker and started a second batch before heading out to a baby shower.  I took the second batch out when it was done and am currently baby sitting the third and final batch.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I'm having to wipe the drool off my chin.

Good luck to our racers!  Although I'm probably late for most of them.  A local runner is up running Equinox, too.  She ran it last year and had to back this year.

TW -

6 miles at Headwaters this a.m.  It's such a beautiful place to run.  At the turn around, I just stood there for a few minutes, trying to be very quiet in my breathing, and just listening to the woods and the small creek.  It was so therapeutic.

On the return, for miles 4 and 5, I did the speed work I was supposed to do yesterday on flat:  Run hard for 30 seconds, recover 30 sec to 1 minute, rinse, wash, repeat.  This meant at times I was running hard up and down inclines.  . . . . . Egads!!  I have to admit - most of my recovery periods were the full minute.

Then when I got home, The Hub made pancakes.  Whata guy!

My quarter rolling saga continues.  The Hub asked how much more I had to go, and I didn't think much . . . . until I moved some stuff in the closet.  *sigh*.  I don't know if I told you, but we found TONS of quarters in my dad's place when we had to move him out in June.  Medicine bottles full of quarters.  Little bags of full of quarters.  Decorative tins full of quarters.  I had forgotten about the tins.  So far I've rolled over $2000 in quarters, and I ain't done yet.  And then there's the nickels, dimes, and pennies . . . . dang, I miss that man . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Cool, Leslie -- it's treasure!

steveP, I also am low iron -- diagnosed when I was hardly running at all -- so I have to take iron now.

1 streak-saver mile, verrry slowly.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

This is what makes me drool...I dabble in coin collecting and I would love to be able to go through somebody's stashes of coins...

My quarter rolling saga continues.  The Hub asked how much more I had to go, and I didn't think much . . . . until I moved some stuff in the closet.  *sigh*.  I don't know if I told you, but we found TONS of quarters in my dad's place when we had to move him out in June.  Medicine bottles full of quarters.  Little bags of full of quarters.  Decorative tins full of quarters.  I had forgotten about the tins.  So far I've rolled over $2000 in quarters, and I ain't done yet.  And then there's the nickels, dimes, and pennies . . . . dang, I miss that man . . . .

What a difference a couple of weeks make.  Two weeks ago, during my 16 miler, I bonked hard and finished in 2:07:19...today, I did it in 1:55:52 and it felt great.

For the last couple of years I have wanted to do the New England Challenge...5 marathons in 5 days...Main--New Hampshire--Rhode Island--Connecticut--Massachusetts.  (Since I have already done Massachusetts, I might skip that one and just do 4 in 4 days)  In 2014, I was about to sign up and then was reminded that we had a vacation planned in February and I couldn't take that many vacation days.  This year, I wanted to dedicate enough time to get ready for the National Senior Games.  I was about to sign up for it, this year,  but then a friend of mine was trying to talk me into doing a Spartan race with him.  I, actually, got kind of excited about the Spartan and started thinking about how I would train for it...but then, I realized that it was too close to the New England Challenge, and for the last couple of weeks, I've been trying to decide which one I should do.  Well...I think I've decided to do the NEC.

The reasons I want to do it is: it would give me 4 more states; it would save me a lot of money considering I wouldn't have to pay for 4 plane rides and all the other expenses that go into it; and, speaking of flying--I wouldn't have to fly because I would be able to drive since the first race isn't until Monday.

The reasons I wouldn't want to do it: well...it's 4 marathons in 4 days; and the biggest reason is because I have always wanted to spend some time in Main, and doing this wouldn't allow me to do that.

Originally, I had thought it would be fun for Debbie to come along with me.  And I think the drive there and back would be nice, but I don't think she would enjoy sitting around while I go do a marathon...then sit around while I sleep trying to recover from doing a marathon.  I guess I'll let her decide whether she wants to come, or not.

So--before I sign up--I wanted to run it by you guys.  Am I crazy?  Would any of you want to join me?  The dates are May 16-20, 2016.  To be honest, the courses look pretty boring...they are all multiple lap courses.  BUT--it would increase your Marathon Maniac status...if anybody cares about that.

Okay--I should do something.  See ya!

evanflein

*Warning* Mini-race report in the daily....

Well that went much better than expected! It was cold but not too bad because the rain stopped. There was snow up high (started after mile 11, stopped when we dropped down past mile 19) but it was light and melted immediately. There was mud but nowhere near as bad as last year because yesterday was pretty dry and the rain last night and this morning was so light. So.... I prepared for the worst, and it wasn't actually that bad at all. My only "issues" was a lack of power/stamina on the way up the hill, and cramping in my calves and ankles in the last 7 miles. Don't know what was going on with the lack of power problem, but I was able to hang on and finish well. Should've had electrolyte caps but didn't think I'd need them (haven't all summer and it was so cool/damp today!). There were several strong, talented (fast) runners that were having problems today for whatever reason, and I think I fared better than most.

4:15:50, 1st in AG, 14th for women and 57th overall. Not a PR by any means but a good result and I'm happy with it.

Mike, we looked at those, there are a few of them around, and sometimes it's even the same course but the start at the other end so you can count it as another state. We considered one challenge that was 5 in 5 days (I think that's what most of them are), and two were on the same course, like a 1.5 mile out and back that you repeat ad nauseum. I decided I wanted to do marathons that were scenic and got me somewhere I haven't been before. So we decided we wouldn't do these since they are solely for collecting states/stars. That's not why I run marathons, but YMMV.

I think you should go for it, Mike!  And let Debbie decide if she wants to tag along.  How fun!

Erika - Congratulations!!!!!!

Re the quarters - Dad was good about setting aside anything he though was valuable.  There are a few silver quarters I need to get checked out, but regardless, those will go to my brother, along with the small old coin collection my dad has had for years and years.  The rest of the quarters were just quarters, with some being uncirculated - or what I assume he thought were uncirculated - state quarters.  He had some of the medicine bottles marked and some not. My SIL was collecting those at one point, so I've done my best to set aside one uncirculated quarter for each state.

I will never know my dad's mindset in doing this, except he was a hoarder.  Not like what you see on TV, but he was a hoarder.  99.9% of the coins are quarters, then he filled up some empty beverage bottles (like Sobe) with nickles, dimes, and pennies and had them sitting on a shelf.  We also find a decide amount of cash stashed around, so we've been very careful when going through his things.  Last year he gave me my mom's Bible, while flipping through it I said something about if I find any money in it is it mine, the words are barely out of my mouth - the bubble is still hanging there - when I flip to $1,000 in 100 dollar bills.  He says, "Oh!  I forgot that was in there!"

MTA: So I finally was able to get back and read Friday's post.  SteveP - Praying they figure out what's going on with you. . . . . And dare you to actually wear the cape . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

4:15:50, 1st in AG, 14th for women and 57th overall. Not a PR by any means but a good result and I'm happy with it.

Great job!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - great challenge, but I am not up to it.  Plus you are planning a 18-19 hour drive at the end of it.  Yikes!

Aamos - if you want to do the Pig, let me know.  I live about 45 minutes from Cincinnati, so you are welcome to stay at our house.  DD says she is happy to sleep on the sectional and give up her bed for you.  (She loves to sleep on the sectional.)

4.2 miles for me on Saturday on tired legs.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

It sounds like fun Wildchild.

Fatozzig, we did the same thing when Mom passed, however, we were finding oxycodone.

Yay Erica!!!!!

I'm taking a prescribed iron supplement and am still mildly anemic. Even with out it, I was rarely refused at blood drives. And I do feel more energetic. It's the other nonsense DW and I have been concerned about.

We did a 75% of the family 2 miler to raise $$ for ALZ. What a blast. A person had to raise $100. in order to get a shirt. Taggy was very happy it matched his cape from Amy. It fit just right.

SteveP