Masters Running

Happy Sunday........... (Read 35 times)

thanks tet//...........she loved it..........

also the other JokeMeisters,,,,,,,,,,,especially the Souper-Man Joke.........

===========

last night she asked me how many calories were in her milk,

I told her about 60

.....then

she asked me why the McDonalds Milk*from yesterday)

said it had 100

>>>>>>>>>>I loved Kiddos<<<<<<

60-min bike ride.......7-up and 7-down...........

..........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

That Claire is pretty sharp!

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 45 degrees.  The hills around my house aggravated my knee slightly, but the flat areas did not, so I will likely stay on the TM this week to avoid hills until it stops complaining.  Still, it is getting better, and I think as long as I continue to take it easy, should be fine in a week or two.

Off to the Potato Festival with the in-laws...

I am hoping to catch up on my race report reading later - there are several good ones that I have been too busy to get to yet.  I like to wait until I can savor them slowly....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey Holly--you should write your report...a 50k report shouldn't take too long....

King of PhotoShop

Holly, you are never going to hear the end of that "just a 50K".  But I tell you that the same thing occurred at the Cowtown in Ft. Worth the times I ran the 50K. They had a  half and a full that day, and no matter who I asked "What are you running today?" it was always the same response, "Just the...."

So with 8 yesterday and a goal of a 20 mile weekend, the Saint and I did an easy 12 today, her longest since she's been running with me, and she did well and is pretty excited.  We'll cut next Saturday back to 6 and run 14 on Sunday to keep the 20 mile weekend approach.  She is doing just great, with her final mile today as her fastest, at 9:52.

The entire Rib Cage will be here for dinner today on another gorgeous fall afternoon here in North TX, temps in the 70's, bright and sunny. I'm making baby back ribs.  Getting the fire ready and applying the rub before football starts at noon.  Spareribs

mrrun

Nice runs for Holly, Saint, & Ribs

we ran the Charles and halfway thru my DD called me - she had just finished her half and broke 2 hours for the first time with a 1:58!!!  I yelled to some runner near me who thought I was crazy, then called Henrun who was just as excited!  Hope all the other racers this week end are just as successful!

happy IRC runs/walks/bike rides for all,

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Cool trophy, thanx for photo, C-R  (brr)......and brr to you, too, Erika.  Enjoy those spuds, and good sounding like a Sox/Cubbie fan!

Neat news, marj, about your DD.  A co-worker's DD just ran her first half up in Wisconsin; she came by my desk to tell me, show photos, etc.  I like how being the running fool in the office gets you involved in everyone's familial running triumphs, no?

I'll have to work on my joke memory or look up one for you, tw......

Ran 15 today, bridge 3 RTs, at 8:42 pace, which is way better than last Sunday's 9:28 pace.   Of course, it was way cooler...started off at 65 degrees!!!!!        Next weekend, no such luck.  Southernmost Marathon in Key West...low temp predicted to be 81.

Happy Sundays.....off to the beach with me.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

BTY

Happy Sunday to all. We are enjoying spectacular running conditions here in Albania . I doubt it has reached 55 yet and it's as clear and dry as can be after yesterday's continuous light rain.   I ran 10 miles in 1:27:35 which is an 8:46 pace, but more gratifying than running 15 seconds faster per mile was running negative splits on a course that has a 150 drop in elevation over mile 3 and of course that much gain in mile 8.   Best of all, mile 10 was the fastest of all. I took it as in the beginning of the workout and had lots left in the rank for the finish.  

DSCN3952..........sorry, B'Day pics wouldn't load

........a Pox on Windows 8.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tomwhite Windows 8 is amazingly bad.  The more I use it on my laptop the more convinced my initial view was right: A-W-F-U-L!!

Holly S. if you put a hit on Mike E you can come by my place to hide out from the authorities if you want.  If we can just get 12 RA Masters on the jury you should get off.

I ran the Ridgefield HM today.  Perfect racing conditions.  New England and a 38° dew point!  Unheard of!  The end result was probably my best race of the year.  The official results are not out but I should have a finish time around 1:38.  One funny story from the race.  Two guys and I were passing back and forth every few miles.  Finally, around mile 10 or 11 I passed them for what was clearly the last time.  They called out asking how old I am.  I said 54.  They said good, I was not in their AG!  They are in the 60+ group.  After which they wished me a good race.  I guess had we been in the same AG they would have wished me a race stopping trip on a fallen branch!    On a depressing note, I look so old that they thought I might be in their AG!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BTY - nice run you had there, time to do a race maybe?

C-R - nice trophy for your kid's team!

Yeah, I still need to read those RR.

Did my 5K this morning - Run with the Fishes.  It always bothers me "fishes", never heard that until I moved here, but apparently it is ok to say either "fish" or "fishes" for the plural of "fish".  I looked for Tetsujin at the start, but didn't see him.  There were tons of people, as usual.  I think I lined up too far back, as I was weaving a lot the first mile.  I ran as steady as I could.  I was mad at the belly and upper arm jiggle going along with my run - if I lost 5-10 pounds, it wouldn't be there.  Anyhow, race day magic?  About 56F, no wind, sunny.  Extremely flat course.  I think I PR'd!!!!  Unfriggingbelievable!!!  I know for sure it was a Garmin PR.  But I checked my log and I think it really is a 5K PR too.  Imagine that - only running 10-15 miles a week, 15 pounds heavier than 6 years ago, and I PR!

Garmin overall pace was 8:43.  I didn't know I could even run one mile that fast these days.

splits were:

8:59.78 (weaving a lot)

8:35.48

8:38.21

1:19.44 (last 0.16)  8:14 pace

So, I am getting older, fatter, but faster??  I did see Tet after the race and we chatted a bit.  I think I was borderline anemic all the time 6 years ago, I can't think of any other reason I am running better on way less training.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hey tomwhite, you are getting pretty good on that bike. Did Claire get a bike for her birthday? How did the insurance meeting go the other day? I will have to do that in the next few years when I retire too. We can stay on the plan at work and pay the full premium, which is a lot.

The potato festival, Holly? I have never heard of that one and we have them all around here. Glad that you are taking it easy and can do the TM until you’re back 100%  Oh, just ignore MikeE, 50K is like 10 5K’s and those are really hard. Please do write that report though.

Marj, that is awesome that your DD broke 2 hours, woo hoo!  Amy, didn’t you do a race in Key West on the bridge this year. Hope the weather isn’t as bad as it sounds. Actually, it sounds good to me right now.    Great racing for Twocat and Enke today.  You guys are in prime racing form. Funny about the 60+ year olds, twocat I admit that I look for people in my AG but rarely find any. Enke, nice PR but I sure can’t explain getting faster, but I do know that losing weight helps increase speed.

I don’t know about you guys but I sure have trouble deciding what to wear when the weather changes. After church today it was 52°/45° with wind chill, but sunny. If the sun is out I perceive it to be at least 5-10 degrees warmer than it actually is. I didn’t want to be cold (or get rained on) but overdressing is just as bad. I ended up leaving the jacket behind and wore a long sleeve technical shirt and Capri tights. I would have been chilly without the headband over my ears. I just went the 5 miles around the lake, but the wind hits you at certain parts along the route. I was dripping with sweat at the end, so I guessed right.

The pain in my side is diminishing and I think I am finally on the mend now. Supper is in the over – beef stew with garden veggies, some fresh, some frozen from last year. I really need to get the freezer under control, yikes there is a lot of stuff in there.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R – Nice racing and trophy for your DS!

Marj – congrats to your DD and her HM PR!

Twocat – great racing! And you definitely do NOT look 60+.

Enke – well done on your super speedy 5K!

Okay, I added a few details about Vermont 50K on Carolyn’s thread, with a few pictures. Boy that sure was a lovely time of year to be in Vermont.

While I'm turning 50 next year, I'm not really tempted to run 50 miles.  It would be fun to run a new 50k though, somewhere that would be conducive to a RA meet up, perhaps a race that had some shorter options too - any suggestions?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yet another of the RA folks that I say "No way you're turning 50".  Hope the knee behaves itself shortly.

Well, I ran just 13.2 this morning.    I'll call it the Little Sebago Half.  It felt a lot better than the 15 last week, even with a LOT more hills.  I did a different route than I've used before, and other than about a mile and a half on a busy road, very pleasurable.  A lot of dirt roads, woods, and along the lake in a different area than I'm used to seeing.  Then a little XT canoeing to close the island camp when the motor wouldn't start.

Ribs sound good, Ribs.  Nice running for you and the Saint.  Way to take advantage of the good weather.

Nice races for TC and Enke.  I know he's fast, but Enke was flying!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Holly, how old were you when you joined CR? Hard to believe you're almost 50. Now you're going to have to run 50 (miles?) on your 50th for sure! :-)

This weekend was nature's way of telling us that winter is over! So I was surprised at the large turnout for the monthly club run. I ran most of my 6 miles with Perchcreek, but had to take a short break due to a tightening hamstring. Still a pretty good outing.

Tough typing here from my tablet so I'll keep it short. Have a good week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy snowy potato festival to erika.

looking forward to learning Holly's 50-for50 next year too

what a fantastic warm-up she had at VT for it.

This weekend was another one of nature's way of telling me that I'm getting old, if not already old as I  “just” / ”only” / barely / hardly ran the “Fishes” 5K this morning “with” enke.
                                First one I ran was in 1998 when it was the Salmon run. I don’t like the new name at all. The only fish around Issaquah in the river about 20 miles from the sea are salmon and they should be honored in the name of the run that ends by their salmon hatchery; it’s not a "fishes" hatchery.
                                In case anyone cares, “salmon” is both singular and plural both for two or more salmon of the same species as well as for multiple species of salmon.  There is/are no “salmons.”

However, “fishes” is okay for multiple species of fish but not okay for two or more fish of the same species, e.g. one salmon and one halibut could be two “fishes”  ("fish" okay too though) but two salmon are two "fish."  At least that is what my grandfather told me.

In this regard, “specie” is not one species of fish (or anything) but refers to a denomination of money. “Species” for fish (and other animals) is both singular and plural, e.g. one species of fish, ten species of fish.  oh well. Don’t dare ask me about data/datum or media/medium though..
                                I’ve been running the Issaquah Salmon Run since 1998 when I’m around and it works out. As a fitness and fun runner, I’m not the kind of person who would keep track of my times vs. anyone else but three of those runs were with enke who, like all the other goddesses herein just keeps getting annoyin... I mean fantastically faster-and-faster as, though, with her debilitating cramp in the last stretch, I beat her by 1:04 in 2008 but she edged me out in 2010 by 1:04. 
                                I lost sight of her in the first mile when she finished in 28:21 last year to my 30:15.  She is such a sweet and kind, good goddess not to say the reason she never saw me today is she was just fantastically fast and had to wait more than five minutes for me to show at the finish at chip 33:07.

I know it was just a 5K and don’t tell MikeE as it probably doesn’t even extrapolate that well, if at all, but, at 10:41m/m, my finish time was still a strong target sub-11:00m/m (thanks starr) and, not only that, would have beaten MikeE in Vermont by more than an hour.  However, I did marvel in MikeE’s super effort there and, not that it has anything to do with getting to run with  enke again, I think I’ll start using MikeE’s goddess quotient for race entries and sign up for the 10/26 Cougar Mountain Series after all. <<<(enke/carolyn)>>>
                                ps - her denials notwithstanding, enke not only runs great, she looks great and,

especially with getting faster-and-faster over six years now

and has no basis for losing any weight at all.
                                pps - I looked around for her Mr. C but didn’t see him.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)