Masters Running

Friday (leftovers day) Daily 11/28 (Read 27 times)

Tramps

Really?  No one's started this yet?  Black Friday shoppers? (Don't get me started.)

Ah well, just an EZ 5 for me as I wrap up marathon recovery time, but somebody's got to start.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Hey Tramps!

Mmmm, left overs! I've been munching all day.

It was a pretty Schmitty Thanksgiving for me. Just the way I like it.

Quiet day here at the homestead. DW is working, DD is working...Just me at home. Had some left over dough so I have some dinner rolls rising. Beef tips thawing...3 days of big eating!

5+ miles of short but fast fartleks. Good workout.

I spent the morning trying to get my Garmin 310xt to play nice with RA. I give up. I wish I never bought the damn thing.

Happy day after!

Mariposai

Another black Friday non shopper here also.

No running for me yet, but I will get out soon for a few miles before I  put mr. tom, the turkey in the oven for our little Thanksgiving dinner with Enkie and her kids. I can't wait to seem them here. Ohh, and Rami is coming too Smile.

It is 47F here, so I am off to run wearing shorts and my Rosie Ruiz relay t-shirt. YEAHH.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Our Black Friday shopping is buying 2 loaves of bread from our favorite bakery.  Now stopping for a cappuccino before Chinese food tonight.

we ran 3-4 miles this morning rather than racing a 5k

Keep on enjoying the w/e

marj

coastwalker

Gotta' love leftovers! For lunch today, we had leftover spaghetti squash lasagna from a few days ago. And for dinner tonight, it'll be Thanksgiving pie with all the fixin's inside.

Sounds like there's going to be a great party at Mariposai's home today!

Since the house thermostat has had the heat down all day (on what would normally be a work day), and it hasn't gotten above 32 outside, we've had the fireplace/stove going since this morning, and the house is nice and toasty. I cleaned the rest of the meat off the bones this morning, and DW has started her turkey soup. Nothing's going to waste on this bird.

Our Black Friday shopping consisted of going out this afternoon to a local shop to look at tiles as we progress toward redoing a tub/shower in one of our bathrooms. I hope the economy doesn't collapse because we weren't out at some box store at dawn...

Since I was in a 5K yesterday, and have another one tomorrow, I decided to take this morning off, and even slept in a bit.

Have a greta Friday (what's left of it) and weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Add to my thanksgivings that their web page was down when I tried to sign up earlier in the week and I didn’t get, . . have to run today’s Wishbone Marathon in a drenching monsoon and can relish the seven hours of rainless running yesterday with Mr. 1,358 marathoner and his entourage of two 400-marathon goddesses
              However, I’m still so thrashed that, upon arrival at Fred Meyer for the annual Black Friday purchase of the garden croc/clogs ($5.00) I sometimes wear for trail marathons, I eyed the electric carts in the entry way, thought a bit (but not that much), pulled the recharging plug out of the wall outlet and drove over the shoe section. Worse yet, I wasn’t one bit embarrassed but, to the contrary, was very appreciative and almost asked if they were on sale too. Whew. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Black Friday in Rochester, no running OR shopping for me.  Found out on FB that I missed a chance run in the same race as CNY yesterday.  Certainloy wouldn't have run WITH her.   Slept in instead. And this morning, too.  I think I might actually get out and  run tomorrow.

DW and I took her dad out for a drive through the Finger Lakes for this afternoon.  Very pretty drive.  We must have passed 3 dozen wineries.  next time we do that, we need to arrange for a designated driver and stop in at a few.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

No leftovers for me, since I ate everything there was to be had yesterday! [burp]

Bagged my traditional Thanksgiving Day 8k yesterday because my foot wasn't feeling 100%. Plus I never made it out Wednesday night for the packet pickup; if I wait until the morning of the race, there are no small size shirts left. It's all about the shirt with this race, haha. I wasn't going to be racing it anyway, not coming off a major marathon this past weekend. So a good donation was made to the cause (the town's school system), and I stayed home with my family Wednesday evening instead, playing Scattagories. Haven't laughed that much in ages!

So yesterday was a ride to nowhere on the stationary bike in my basement, spinning out the "necessary evil" miles to ensure I stay healthy. And today my 4 recovery miles were blissful, because I paid attention. For that, I'm grateful. Nice having a full house here this weekend, with my son home from Madison, WI, the first time back since starting his job there in July. Really, so much to be grateful for! Can you have gratitude leftovers? If so, those are the leftovers around here. Smile

No shopping today for us.

Easy six miler this morning in Pittsford, NY---much windier than yesterday and a fresh inch or two of snow all around---beautiful. We spent the morning at my in-laws and then headed back to Western Mass after three days in CNY and WNY with family and friends.  We had a blast at the 43rd annual Webster Turkey Trot yesterday---a 4.4 miler and a 2.5 miler. I ran in the latter with my eight year-old nephew. He plays soccer on a travel team in the Boston area and is a good little athlete, but has never run in a road race and for more than a mile at one time. We discussed strategy on Wednesday and with my BIL's shouts of "Listen to Aunt Karin" as we trotted by, he totally rocked it. He waited until I said KICK! and then took off in the last 200 years and passed a whole bunch of people in the chute. Like many Turkey Trots across the country, this started off as a high school xc team practice run years ago and turned into a big community event. Capped at just under 5,300, it's also a food drive and great way to get some exercise before the food coma. My nephew and niece (wants to run this next year with us) have watched me run the Boston Marathon for several years and it was awesome to run a race together.

We are back home now, just shoveled the walkway, and now holding our collective breath as Mizzou plays Arkansas in football for the SEC East championships. Tied score now.....

The kiddo heads back to college early Sunday morning and wow did this week fly by. He doesn't seem completely annoyed by my hugging him at every possible moment.

Grateful for family, friends---whether in cyberspace or close by, and the chance to greet another day!

Found out on FB that I missed a chance run in the same race as CNY yesterday.  Certainloy wouldn't have run WITH her.   Slept in instead. And this morning, too.  

Stumpy! You could have absolutely run with us! Next year, okay?! My niece (six year-old) was persuaded and I think I'll have two little kidlets alongside for next year's Turkey Trot.  The woman who won the 4.4 miler is from Penfield (local) and now a top runner for Providence College (Katie Lembo). She ran "easy" at 5:38 pace. yowsa!

Marathon Maniac #957

The day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the day we go to the tree farm and cut down our tree, stopping in the big barn to sit by the fire and drink hot cocoa afterward.  Today we were joined by my oldest brother, wife and son who are visiting from Virginia, which was very cool   Now the tree and decorations are up, the bins stowed back under the stairs, and I can relax a bit.

I did go out to one store this evening to buy DS the X-Box One he requested.  He asked for it last year but I wasn't willing to pay the $499.  This year the Black Friday deal was $329 with two games included.  DS understands that this may be his only present.....okay, I did buy one more game for it that was on special.  Afterward I wrapped presents that I had gotten for DH, DS, and DD at Barnes and Noble (okay, so DS has two other presents, too).  I feel like I am ahead of schedule this year!

6 miles for me this morning in 22 degrees.

Here's a shot of my brother and I.  The page cuts it off a bit, but you get the gist.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holly - that picture makes me so thirsty after yesterday.

do you have any ice?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

You are cuter than he is, but I'm sure he would be comfortable with that assessment Holly.

CNY, saw that gorgeous pic of you after your Turkey Trot, very nice.

Outstanding dinner at Spare Tire's house yesterday with my boys and the Saint, plus his mother and her sister. He is a great cook.

Were it not for the holiday I would have played bridge today with my regular partner. But I played 30 years ago with my now ex-wife (Spare Tire's mother) and asked her if she wanted to play in the local game, so we did that, and finished 4th. She has forgotten a lot of the game but is a sharp enough woman to play a decent game and I was happy she had fun.  Tomorrow that whole gang will come to my house and we will reciprocate on the Thanksgiving hospitality.

I am tired from yesterday's Turkey Trot 8-miler, so I went out this morning with the Saint and Lucy for a slow 2+ mile jog.  We are having gorgeous weather here.  Spareribs

evanflein

It's really late, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jay doesn't start the Saturday daily before I finish... but, it's still Friday here in Hawaii!

We went to the East side to Kapa'a and the kids and DH rented bikes to ride the multi-use path along the ocean and I ran the path. Got in 10.2 miles in probably the hottest time of the day (we got out late) but I had lots of sunscreen and DH was there on his bike with my water, so all good. I went too fast, which is typical for me running into a headwind. I have a hard time judging how fast I'm going because the wind makes it feel like you're running in place, and the uphill made it worse. So, I work too hard and go too fast, and end up as toast. But it was a pretty day and spent it with my guys and their GF's, so I'm all good with it. And, I think I'll easily hit 200 miles for the moth!

Holly, I've tried that and just get broken links. Must be doing something wrong.

Dinner tonight was grilled top sirloin steaks we set in marinade earlier this afternoon (before we left), and chicken breasts (because we had 5 steaks and 7 people), grilled baby peppers, roasted butternut squash and asparagus, rice pilaf with lentils, and caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms. Whew! Awesome dinner and only a few leftovers.