Masters Running

Harrisburg Marathon report (Read 327 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I finally got a chance to upload my race data from yesterday. Thanks all so much for the well wishes. I had no cell/data service for most of the hours after the race, couldn't even text, so I apologize for not updating here or on FB sooner. So here's the write-up that I posted on DailyMile this morning if anyone is interested.

Started out with the 3:55 pace group but never felt really strong and in control. Managed to stick with them until about 15 miles. I had done everything right in my training, as well as my fueling and rest, so I had no idea why I was feeling so tired. Maybe worn out from the stress of the storm and NYCM cancellation? HR felt way too high and uncomfortable and I just felt OFF... so when the calves started cramping then, I knew it was time to let go of my time goal and race plan. Sub-4 (and BQ) would not happen today, so better to live to run another day, than risk a DNF and worse injury.

So I walked whenever I needed to. The hills in the park at mile 18 to 20 were quite challenging and the majority of runners were walking. The 4:00 pace group still hadn't passed me, so I was in relatively good shape... in theory... The course leveled out and was mostly flat and down for the remaining 10k, but whenever I would try a light jog, my metabolism just screamed at me NO! It was a beautiful day, a lovely varied course, and all of us displaced NYCM runners were so grateful to have found a race that was so welcoming to us. They even provided use of the YMCA for showers afterward until late in the afternoon, how cool was that! So all in all, this was a positive experience for me, my second marathon, in that I didn't get all disappointed with myself on top of having a bad run day. I actually kept holding on to that thought, feeling good about the fact that I hadn't lost hope, and I think that's what ultimately got me to the end still smiling.

So, the numbers. I probably walked a total of 4.5 miles from mile 17 and on. Official time was 4:25:14, a PR of close to 17 minutes. I'll take it. Smile

mile 1 = 8:51 
    mile 2 = 8:52 
    mile 3 = 8:55 
    mile 4 = 9:01 
    mile 5 = 9:05 
    mile 6 = 8:54 
    mile 7 = 8:36 
    mile 8 = 8:53 
    mile 9 = 8:57 
    mile 10 = 8:56 
    mile 11 = 8:53 
    mile 12 = 8:54 
    mile 13 = 9:04 
    mile 14 = 9:10 
    mile 15 = 9:11 
    mile 16 = 9:20 
    mile 17 = 9:44 
    mile 18 = 10:43 
    mile 19 = 12:42 
    mile 20 = 12:32 
    mile 21 = 11:50 
    mile 22 = 12:15 
    mile 23 = 13:36 
    mile 24 = 10:08 
    mile 25 = 12:57 
    mile 26 = 11:31 
    remainder = 10:22

And now onward to Monkey! Smile

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry no BQ--but a very impressive PR and perserverence after all the drama of the past weeks.  Congratulations!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

And now onward to Monkey! Smile

Big grin

A 17 min PR...that is HUGE !

King of PhotoShop

Never any regrets about a PR.  Well done.  You will continue to shave minutes off this time.  Spareribs

..yep,

Finishing and PR's are their own  Reward..........

and

as a Revenge Race on the NYC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nicely Done

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

That's a hugh PR, Esther! The sub-4 can wait. It has been wonderful seeing your confidence and performances increase over the years. Keep it up, girl!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Congratulations OM!  You've got to be in great shape to have an off day and still PR by 17 minutes.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

OM - no particular reason but any pictures of anyone wearing a particular t-shirt from an event that nobody finished from the previous week?

ps triva - no particular reason but what is the significance, if any, of back-to-back marathons?  <<<( https://www.databarevents.com/mm_file.asp )>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yes Tet, my plan is to acquire one of those special yellow singlets after next week's Monkey event (notice I did not say "race").

Though you did mention photos, I realize that I didn't share any. Here I am waiting at the start. Notice the woman in the back on the left, also wearing my team's blue singlet. We had never met before and didn't know we were both going to be at this race. Meeting her was like reuniting with long lost family.

And off we go...

We crisscrossed over the two bridges to City Island several times. Here I am at mile 7.5. Can you find Waldo??

There were many other photos taken, but MrOM hasn't uploaded them. So now we jump to mile 25, approaching the last climb to the same bridge to the finish.

On the bridge, only a quarter mile to go...

And now I'm finally done! Of course, still talking, as always... Wink

And of course, after cleaning up, here I am enjoying my rewards:

Hopefully everyone's able to see my photos. Thanks again for indulging me! Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

You simply have the MOST iinfectious smile.....Smile

So much is left to chance for a marathon, and so many things can overcome the best of training.  What can you do?  You still got an impressive PR, in spite of your plan being overturned by Sandy's interference.  I believe you do have a sub-4 race close at hand - don't give up!

Meanwhile - heck-of-a job!

Now rest, a lot, and see you next week!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bushrat Runner

Great report, great PR, and great job keeping the feasible in sight when the ideal went out the window...

Mariposai

That's a hugh PR, Esther! The sub-4 can wait. It has been wonderful seeing your confidence and performances increase over the years. Keep it up, girl!

Amen!!!

And yes Holly, OrangeMat has the most contagious smile!

Great job and celebrate that 17 minute PR, that is huge!!!

You are our  Shiny STAR!!! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Impressive, OM.  In spite of the disruption of your plans by Sandy and not feeling on top of your game, you still got a giant PR.  Congratulations and good wishes for good running at the Monkey.  You sure look upbeat in the pictures.

TomS

coastwalker

It is a wise runner who adjusts their strategy to the conditions/situations as they evolve on race day. To be able to make those adjustments and still earn a significant PR is outstanding! Congratulations on a great effort, OM!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Congratulations on the PR, OM.  You may surprise yourself at the next event.  Thanks to MrOM for the great pics.