Masters Running

2's-Day, April 8 Boomer Runs (Read 649 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - I'm first! Well, then - I'll post a first . . . . . I've signed up for my first Marathon!! The Detroit Marathon - October 19 - Bib #6106. I get all fluttery just thinking about it!! Out for 6 less than sproinky miles with Brinkly this morning. 9:57 pace, 35 degrees, no wind - pretty enjoyable weather overall. 300 crunches and 25 pushups too. Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations on signing up, Mary! How exciting. It's good that you have awhile to get ready for it. I'm off to the airport for my trip to Austin. I'm nervous about how many miles I can get in this week, but at least I've already put in 10.2, so I have a good start. I won't be on the computer much, so I will miss everyone's posts! I'll have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks again for all of you - you're an inspiration.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hopeful .. what a great way to start us off.. your first marathon registration! Awesome! 6.2 mi GA today in 50:21 (8:07 pace, AHR 158 with 6x100m strides). First 2.2 miles with Tory at 8:35 then 4 mi at 7:50 with AHR 159. Everything felt sproinky today Smile Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

That's super news Mary....congrats Smile. That's about the same time I will be running my first Marathon too. 300 crunches....ouch Shocked Have a nice trip to Austin Teresa...you will be missed also Smile You're an inspiration to us too!!! As always Perch....nice run Smile Will run after work tonight....till then, I hope you all have a wonderful day. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

GreenMan

Whoohoo! Mary's putting the long socks on, Go get'em, grrrl. jjj
            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
              Good morning Boomers. 4 miles this morning. Overslept after watching Kansas beat Memphis last night and didn't have time for a longer run. I worked at a track meet at the school where I work last night. Those poor kids. It was 38F with winds out of the north about 25 MPH. I had on a sweatshirt, winter jacket, gloves and jeans and I was FROZEN! They were running their events in skimpy little track uniforms and they all looked so cold. Bet there will be a lot of sick students today! Mary, you rock!! Congratulations on your first marathon! Now comes the easy part - training. You'll do great. Do you have a group you plan to run with? Teresa - have a good trip. It will be interesting to see how you do running in warm weather. Keep us posted. Perch - nice sproinky run this morning. I wish we all felt like that more often. What a basketball game last night! That 3 pointer at the buzzer to send it into overtime will probably be replayed about 1,000 times today. Way to go Kansas! Good Tuesday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                Mary, Congratulations on signing up for your first marathon. You have already won! Tough interval workout today. 3K warm up, then 5 minutes at half marathon pace 6:20 per mile, then 1 minute at 10k pace at 6:00 mph X 5 reps with no rest in between half and 10K pace reps.. Tough little sucker then 3k cool down. Did well which is a good sign. The only thing I noticed is that my form was sloppy, probably not enough miles yet. Teresa - Have a good trip to Austin...beautiful place to run along the river and the bats of course. Perch good solid sproinky run. Having drinks tonight with a lady who is the fastest masters runner in the city. She beats me in all times except 5k... Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Cranium – yes, you were missed…..even if you have to take a break from running, you can still keep posting, ya know… Mariposai - 1009ft elevation in 3/4 of a mile….and no walking – oh my goodness! You are amazing! Hopeful – yay!!!! Teresa – have a good trip! Biketm – are cyclists really that snobby? 47 degrees this morning meant I put on a running skirt instead of pants – yippee! What a joy to run in bare legs again! My legs felt long and slim and muscular…..well,…muscular, anyway…..Big grin 7.65 miles with mile #3, 5, and 7 at better than MP – 8:36, 8:28, 8:35 (MP is 8:45), ave pace for the run was 9:16. The toe is much better. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

We have good news everywhere. Mary signing up for her 1st Full. Smile Tall is back and running 6:20's. Shocked Perch has Tory the Super Dog running my MP. Tongue BikeTm I guess that explains why the cyclists always yell at me to get on the sidewalk. Tight lipped Holly has found the sproink we all knew was there. Yes JLynne celebrating Kansas winning. Surprised For me, I decided to forgo the game to make sure I got this last big week of training started right. For a big BBall fan, you have to know that was a sacrifice. Sounds like I missed a real nail-biter too. Cry Anyway, 8 miles at GA (9:00 min/mile overall). But I had 3 or 4 near MP miles in there (8:40ish). Oops. Better watch that friskiness. Recovery slow tomorrow, whether the legs feel like they need it or not ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Biketm – are cyclists really that snobby?
                      At the serious level.....yes At run races and Triathlons I do, others will root everyone on...no matter how fast or slow, but at bike races this just doesn't happen. For the most part, cyclists just want to win at any cost and don't really care about others they are racing against....I very rarely see another cyclist rooting others on after they have finished. How many cyclists do you see that will wave and say hi, compared to other runners?....maybe it's just my area...but I don't think so. Oh yeah....super run Holly....you are going to rock Cool Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Morning all, 8.07 MOH @ 9:00. Uneventful run...picked up some garbage along the road that some litterbugs threw out of their car. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Bicycle commute to work for me today, will run with all of my classes which will make 5 40 minute runs today. Tim, having done a little competitive cycling and a lot of recreational cycling I have noticed that road racers can be snobby. Mountain bikers are a more welcoming group in my experience. Nevertheless I wave to every cyclist I pass, it is their choice to wave back or not.
                            Good morning, all! Mary - great news! Congrats on taking the plunge - you will love it. Teresa - have a safe trip - we'll miss your posts. Good to see some sproinky runs already today. Looks like ice cream and peanut butter ruled the thread yesterday. My personal favorite is grilled peanut butter with dill pickles, and I prefer the crunchy peanut butter. Yum! Tall - so good to have you back and posting again. Hope we get a chance to read some of your articles, and that book....... 7.15 hilly, breezy miles in 32 degree temp for me this morning. Can't say it was exactly sproinky, but it felt great to be on the road. The treadmill work I've been doing has definitely improved my speed. DH and I are driving to Michigan this weekend to visit friends. We'll be fly-fishing for those magnificent Michigan steelhead on the Muskegon River on Monday and Tuesday. If the weather cooperates, we hope to get a long run in on the Kal-Haven Trail Sunday morning. I really miss that trail. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

hopeful4ever good luck with the marathon and your training! Signing up for your first is always pretty exciting. Jlynne I hear it was a fun game to watch. I hope you were rooting for Kansas! Holly almost like speed work! Glad to hear the toe is coming along. Treesadfp I guess I was not paying close enough attention to your travel schedule! I am actually coming down to Texas on Thursday and will be at a conference in Austin on Friday and Saturday. I wish I could see about hooking up for a run but I am not sure when or if I will get a chance to get free. I managed to get out and do just over 8 miles at a 7:55 pace. Too bad my calf is not all fixed up yet since the pace was at something I thought to be "easy." So, I guess the good news is my short distance fitness has not gone totally into the tank. I will ice the calf today as much as I can given my work schedule. It is getting better and hopefully will be further along to recovery tomorrow. btm continued good luck with your recovery. Your dedication to staying fit with the elliptical machine is nothing but incredible!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

....Good News Hopeful//........Train Smart, and Enjoy your Race.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....