Masters Running

Saturday, May 10th Daily Running Thread (Read 478 times)

Good morning and welcome to Saturday! Did you ever think of a day of the week as having a personality? In our daily lives we encounter people with different personalities. Some of them are aggressive, some passive. Some people are all business, while others are on the other end of the spectrum and are all for fun and games. We also have friends we never meet other than to share with them in a hobby or for sharing in an area of common interest. Each person we encounter has their time and place when what they have to offer is of interest and value to us. As I woke up this morning and realized it was Saturday, I also realized that this day of the week has a real appeal to me. Why? After five days of "all business", this first day of the weekend provides a real change and break. It has a more relaxed and fun atmosphere (hence some reading this are still in their 'jammies'). This day allows us to do things that we have no possibility of doing during the week. This is the day when our hobbies, clubs, organizations, family, and friends are able to be enjoyed. We have actually planned projects designed to be done on Saturday. They may be work projects, but they are fun because it is something we WANT to do. Of course, for those of us who are runners, Saturday becomes the ideal day for that Long Run that we both want and need. Saturday is relaxed. Saturday is fun. Saturday lets me catch up on things. Saturday is something I desire. Saturday provides the time to build quality and quantity valued relationships with my family. Saturday is the friend who gives me a very needed break from the pressure I have encountered all week long. I may even be in love with Saturday, just for how she provides for me. I crave Saturday and want to be with her. I wish I could be with her more often, however I will cherish the time she does give me. Please remind me to be wise with my friend Saturday. If I treat her like any other day, she will become exactly that .......just another day.....and her value will be lost. Have a great SATURDAY, runner friend of mine. Right now for me personally, I have a date with my friend ......SATURDAY. We are going on a long run.
    Vista
      Hi Vista! I hope you don't mind sharing Saturday with us! I always feel that Saturday morning holds so much promise for the weekend. All things are possible. I'm still under the illusion that I might run out of to-do list before I run out of weekend. 4.7 miles, or thereabouts. Mr. Garmin got knocked off the charger yesterday and was dead this morning, so it was a low-tech easy run. The rain can stop anytime now - I've got stuff to do!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Great post Vista..Saturday should be treated with promise and or abandon. Great run Predawnrunner. Off to my 10K. Did not sleep well at all, hope I have reserves. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

I agree Vista......and with today being Saturday, I wake up and find it cold, windy and raining and I look over at my DW....and know that when she wakes up, she will also look outside and then start to think, hmmm....can't go outside today, what projects around the house need to be tackled ? Dead
          Personal Records 5K - 21:35

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Enk – I LOVE your race photo! I do hope you order that one. Spareribs – I’m so slow to warm up, I really don’t know if I’m going to have any sproink until after 2-3 miles, more often into the 4th mile before I feel the pick-up. Aamos – Big grin Franc59 – I love your avatar! Vista – that’s a fine son and DIL you have there. Congratulations to her on her graduation. Saturdays don’t have the same meaning for me – they are usually busy, busy, when I try to get the bulk of the errands done so Sunday can be more relaxed. For instance, I am heading out to buy 2 flower baskets to give to my mom and SM for Mother’s Day, after which we will attend the funeral visitation, return something at Kohl’s, then off to my DD’s ballet recital, then back to my dad’s house for lunch, then to drop DD off at a birthday party at 1:30, and then to drop DS at a different birthday party, etc..... TomWhite – free homemade beer? Drat! Why didn’t I log on last night so I could crash the party? 7.55 miles for me today, including 7 x 100m striders, in 44 degrees along the river trail in a dense fog. I could only see a few feet out over the river, but the birdcalls carried over the water eerily, and the ducks and geese swam with their little broods along the river’s edge. I went through the old house last night before turning over the keys, and I admit I shed a few tears as I walked through the empty rooms. Lots of good memories in that house….I’m such a sentimental sap….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

.....morning guys, 'cept for the Tattoo, it was a Fun Evening, who's ''Brunhilda the Dominatrix''???......er.. ...NEVERMIND.... =============== .........hey dg//........ .....1......................here the link for the Standing Hammy Stretch.......it works both legs, and is better than the more conventional one I used where I put the leg on a step and stretched it that way. http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2006/09/healthier-hamstring-stretching_11.html ....2...............the'' Shoulder Turn'' mimicks the crosscountry skiing motion of a nordictrak, basically the hips swivel against the shoulders' counter-swivel.........it lines up the leg better for the PushOff.... mess around with it, the Swivel will be more noticeable at first, BARELY noticeable when you get the Feel for it........ hope that helps..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

dg.

good morning! Vista, be wise with your friend Saturday. PDR, I wish I could share our weather with you. cool but clear & delicious. I have the same illusions. week after week i think that this weekend I will revolutionize my whole life. Give it a good shaking out, everything then falling nicely in to place. Roll eyes Tall, good luck! go earn that coffee. Coach, the choice is easy. you just tackle all of them. Wink Another of my new outside tackle the hills walks with Sadie. Last week I ran part of it, so this week I expected to, but still didn't put on running duds or polar. That was silly because then I came home & spent time with map my run. It wasn't cooperating. Anyway. it wasn't long at all, I think a little over a mile each of walking & running.. but the hills are making such a difference. I am so out of shape! I've only been running again for about a month, & didn't maintain cardio fitness for the 6 months I was off. everything I tried backfired. The point of this too long post is sort of a question. (if you've made it this far I owe you your beverage of choice). Why do 'we' do stoopid things, contrary to what we know & plan? Like I said, I've done a few hills just once since last September. Hammies have been sore this week, but I did cut back so that was very good. Most of you know about the cardiac problems I had about a year ago. So this morning, I tried the worst (best) hill out there, which I haven't done in a year & a half, stopped doing it when i was working on HR last year. To put it mildly, it was a challenge. I don't understand the mental processes, or lack of, that make me do things like that. am I alone in being this stupid? I know it makes me mad not to be able to do things, but that's no excuse. What's bothering me is the apparent inability to resist, at least consistently. it's much worse than chocolate. ok. drinks are on me.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I have to report a beautiful morning here in the Carolinas. 10.12 miles of hills @ 9:19 pace, a little slower as I've go to get used to this H&H again. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

anachrotech

I decided that after my run I'm just going to sit on my @ss and knit. That's after I change the water in the aquarium, clean the bird cage, and get the dog to quit licking the sweat off my calf. A slow 4 miles in 45 for me today. Good runs all.
                    btb1490

Happy first day of the weekend! Vista, I agree with you about Saturdays... as I read your post while at work! Tongue Aamos- what else is in your drawer at work? I'm afraid to find out! Francesca- speedy daughter you have there! If she's 13 and DOESN'T argue with you, I'd say there was something wrong with her! Good luck with your half this weekend. wildchild- sounds like you had a great run yesterday with the pooches. Just what the doctor ordered! enke- I'd like to run where you run in your avatar! Very nice! I may be in Seattle in July. nonoruns- laughter is the best medicine! Continued well wishes to your mom! Thanks for the update. Tall- waiting to hear who won the coffee bet... vista- wonderful picture you posted yesterday! Congrats to the new RN! eliz- nice way to end the week with a massage! PDR- good luck with your "stuff" list! Holly- sounds like you have your weekend all figured out. Glad you got your run in! I hope you took some pictures of your house before saying goodbye... dg- I don't think we want to give in or admit to limitations. Young brains, old bodies. anachrotech- should we call you salt lick from now on? 3.5 easy miles in crisp, cool, rain cleansed air. All systems seem to be a go. I hope everyone's personality for their Saturday includes lots of smiles! Smile
                      PJH

Easy 5.9 miles this morning ... 58:02 ...9:50 pace ...138 hr. No group run today ...most of my friends are running the Mississauga Marathon tomorrow. I will be running the last 10k with a couple of them. Lots of things to do this Saturday Vista. Grass cutting calls, but it can wait until later. First things first ... off to have coffee at the local Tim's with DW and then it's a phone call to mom to see what she's up to tomorrow - Mother's Day. We'll have her out to dinner if none of my other siblings has gotten to her first. Good luck this weekend racers! Good runs to everyone else! Enjoy your Saturday! PJ
                          Perfect Saturday morning running weather here, 48F sunny, rain overnite rain has gone away. 5 miles around the neighborhood with DW, her 1st run since Sunday and everything seems to be working just fine. Smile Everyone enjoy your SATURDAY

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

According to my schedule today was my last MP run. I did manage a 9:00 pace but it was up and down. I tend to run good at 9:40s or 8:30s I am always slowing myself down on these days. I think my next cycle I will work on pace a lot more. Not necessaraly faster but at the faster end of my comfort range. So 4 miles today at an 9:00 average pace. This is the shortest run in a long time for me. Tomorrow is just 12 for my long run day. The taper continues. On the issue of tapering. I can't help but think that since I am not as fast or as proficiant at this marathon thing maybe its a little silly to be tapering so long before my first marathon. I look at it like thats for the pros not us amatures. I think this might be part of the taper madness but these are the thoughts in my mind as I turned around at the 2 mile mark today on a IRC day. Its all I could do to not continue on . Good luck Tall Happy feet to everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

8 GA miles this morning...7:38 pace... DD#2 and DW are at Girl Scout camp this weekend,so DD#1 and I are going to spend some quality time together... She has a soccer game this morning and if she wins that one,she will play another this afternoon... Have a good one...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              Rindaroo

Hi there! I haven't posted here for a really long time, life has been crazy, a shoulder injury which apparently is really a neck injury, and of course that constant struggle with the bronchials. Anyway, Debbie this is where you are hanging out, huh? Now I know where I can come & check up on you Big grin In answer to your question, I think about it in another way, we have hopes & dreams of being able to do much more than our body is allowing us to. If we accepted our limitations, we would not have any problems staying at a lower level... However, our perserverance, our hopes, our dreams of getting healthy & becoming much better runners creates pushing ourselves too much. Its a good & bad thing, you know? There will always be times you push too much, but its okay. Give yourself a break, okay? Speaking of pushing too much, I ran a 5K last Sunday at Eugene while having a respiratory infection. In retrospect, it was a stupid thing to do. I ended up much sicker, probably into bronchitis early in the week, but am better now (but still sick), & am not running til I'm better. However, I am not sorry I did it. Yes, I knew I was pushing myself & would pay for it... but you know, you play, you pay!! Plus, it taught me some more lessons about myself, and showed how much progress Ive made in the last couple of months when I started back to a running program (after not running for a few months). Here is the link to KR, where my RR is for those who would like to see it: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28021 Enke - you did great at Eugene!! Just think you've done something, that lots of people in this world haven't. I am proud of you Smile