Masters Running

Thanksgiving! A Day to Remember All That We are Thankful For...11-27-14 (Read 33 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!

I am one of the few who is not doing a Thanksgiving Day race so I thought I'd go ahead and get this started.

Debbie and I prepared the turkey and put it in the oven...should be done at noon.  I sure hope so because we have about 27 people coming over about that time who will be ready to eat.

It's been awhile since I've posted, I think.  I actually try to post from my iPad from time to time and it just freezes up on me.  It's very frustrating.  Anyway...I ran 10 miles on Monday and 10 miles last night.  I was going to say, "nothing special" but every run is special....which brings me to the 1st think I am thankful for...

I am so thankful that I can run.  I know that so many are not able to, for one reason or another.

Of course I have many other things that I am thankful for...my family, my friends--including all of you, and of course my God who blesses me in so many ways it's ridiculous.

Okay--that's it for now.  I have to get started on my Christmas letter.  Debbie's been hounding me about that for awhile now.  See ya!  Enjoy your day!

Henrun

Thank you for the nice thoughts, Mike. We're also wishing a happy Thanksgiving to all.

I'm also thankful that I can run, especially at my age. Each day is a bonus.

We're not doing a turkey trot today because we're heading up to Maine to my DS's for the day's festivities. However, there's a 5K  tomorrow am which we'll probably do if it's not snowed in. (We got only a dusting but lots of snow all around us).

...some good thought guys//............can't Run anymore, but every work-out is Special........

==========

...30's and spitting snow here......

60-min bikeride, 7-up and 7-down.........

........saw another Runner out,

was glad at least TWO of us were insane.......

..........Happy Thanksgiving........and good luck to the racers.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Wonderful sentiments!   And I am thankful for all of you here!

Mike - that's a big crowd!

Ran our town 5-mile TT this morning in 44:43 (8:53) which was better than I expected, given the crowd and the big hill they put in this year.  28 degrees but no snow on the ground, so all is good.

I have been asked to join an all-woman team for the team series of our local running club for next year.  My friends Renee and Tara will be part of it, as well as a couple others I know.  This is just the motivation I need to get out and race more, so I am looking forward to it.  I do enter a new AG next year, after all....

Now off to cook and stuff.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I mentioned before that my neighbor was struck down in a freak thunderstorm accident a while back.  A tree crashed onto his truck while he was stopped at a red light, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.  Almost every day I run by his house with the newly constructed ramps and am reminded of how fortunate I am to be able to run.  Today was no different.

That's just one of so many things I'm thankful for, including the support and encouragement of this group!

Have a great day.

EZ 5 for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Nice start to the day Mike. Thanks for that. 27! Oh my.

Have fun at the 5k Henry.

Keep on keeping on Tom.

That's great Holly. Enjoy the team events. They are a blast.

Spot on Tramps. This is a good crew in here. I'm thankful I stumbled in here.

Got a nice 8+ this morning in a light dusting of snow. Roads were a little slick but ok. The snow was falling and there was hardly a car out there. Only saw a couple of other runners. It was simply peaceful. I needed that.

Dinner with the rest of the family today and we are bringing our broccoli cheese casserole. potato casserole, mashed potatoes and twocats cranberry sauce. Should be great.

I have lots to be thankful for the blessing in my life. I hope I can share more of those with others going forward.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Cheer.s

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

janie b good

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I'm thankful for my health, my family, and the love that surrounds me (which includes this RA forum).  xoxo, janie

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Good morning good people, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Your posts about being grateful really hit home with me today. I don't want to be a "downer" on a holiday, but this has been such a rough year for me. Losing my sister was so incredibly hard. She was my best friend and we did everything together. But I am so grateful for the support of my friends (virtual too) and co-workers whose love and kindness got me through the last few months. Couldn't have done it without all of you. And each day is a blessing - you never know what the big guy has in store for you, so use your days to the best of your ability.

Ran a 5 mile turkey trot this morning and took first in my AG! That's the good news. The bad news is there was only one other woman. But I beat her by nearly 7 minutes. Conditions were tough with a couple of inches of fresh snow last night making footing a little "greasy." Especially the uphill parts of the course. Near the end when my legs were feeling tired and I was contemplating walking a bit, one of my sister's favorite songs came on my IPod. She got me through that last mile and I finished with a big smile on my face

Enjoy your day everyone!

MM #7877

Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.

I chose to run an event in Ft Wayne Indiana this year. They had a 15K race, and it made for a nice run. It went through a cemetery that was quite hilly, I was thinking it would be a perfect place for a Halloween run.

I am thankful for my health this year. By Memorial Day, I was losing the battle to an eating disorder and had quite a few complications. But by the grace and mercy of God, and the support of my wife, I am doing much better. Like Mike, I am so thankful also for the gift of running. It has changed my life.

Everyone have a blessed holiday!

Philippians 4:13.

King of PhotoShop

In the post-race congregation at the cemetery near the finish of our Turkey Trot, everyone was saying the same thing, win or lose, and that was, "We're lucky we can still do this. So many others can't or won't."  I'm in that league.

Of course I am disappointed with how I am racing, so let me focus on the Saint.  8 miles in 1:15 at age 58 got her 9th in her AG of 58 women.  Not so good for me.  1:12 for 9th in AG also, but out of 36, so I am definitely slowing badly. Out of the money for the first time in this race.

Now we're on our way to Spare Tire's for a great TG dinner and lots of laughs.  Spareribs

I'm playing catch up.  Sunday, we went to our son's for Thanksgiving dinner with our immediate family. We got the good news that the kids are expecting another baby next summer.  Monday we babysat our grandson.  We went from there to visit one of my wife's friends for all of Tuesday.  On Wednesday, my wife had a doctor's appointment as a follow up on her back surgery of six weeks ago.  Everything was great.

It was nice to get home last night.  This morning, it was in the mid to high 20s with some wind.  I managed 8 miles at an 11:19 pace for my first run of the week.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mustang sally

Bad faerie

As I write this, am in Edmonton en route to Victoria to see the kids for the weekend.

I just looked out the window from this cozy terminal restaurant:

It is Hoth out there.  Soon an AT-AT walker will come out of the blizzard and things will get Very Interesting.

Running-wise, decided that taking a few days off would help the ankle and a lurking cold get better.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

8 miles with a 5K turkey race. 4th overall 1st masters, but they only did age groups 11 and under and 12 and up, So off the podium.

Did finish ahead of a guy in a chicken suit and fast starting 11 year old, both of whom were ahead of me at the mile. Avg about 5:51 pace.

Thankful to be with family even though I'm away from my own family today. Liking the weather, but looking forward to returning home in 3 weeks even though it will be dark and cold.

evanflein

Nice start, Mike. And yes, very thankful to be able to run, and run without pain. It's so nice to be able to go out for a run and just not think about it much. Normally, my only issue is the weather/temperature. I know so many who want to run and either can't or do it with a lot of struggle. {{tomwhite}} It truly is a gift and one I try not to take for granted.

I'm also blessed with a healthy family, and here we are in Hawaii to be together for Thanksgiving. We've got reservations at Roy's for dinner at 7:30. That's the only place that could take our group of seven before 8 p.m!

Ran a hilly 5.1 miles this morning, a bit of a struggle because of a late night with the kids, but all good. It sure is windy here, but it was -8° at home last time I checked so I think I can deal with a little wind.

Holly, I wasn't asking about how to post photos to Facebook, but how do you post them HERE on RA from Facebook? You do it often but when I try I just get a broken link. That's the question....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Very moving Happy thanksgiving words from everyone, especially Henry whose thoughts are like precious nuggets of gold as I wonder how I in the world I can still be running in ten years with everything ruuning going into slow motion two years ago when I was as old as Ribs is now.

I've never lived anywhere where they had a Tutkey Day run until the Marathon Maniacs started one here in Seattle five or six years ago so they could all run four Quadzilla marathons from today through the Seattle Marathon on Sunday. I met up with 69-yo, 1,300-plus marathon maniac Larry Macon at the five a.m. super remedial start (vs 8 am regular / seven a.m. early, / 6am regular remedial) and two 400-total marathon goddesses who follow him around like they probably used to do for the Beatles in those days as they helped me bite off more than a half hour off the 7:42 First Call Veteran's Day Mary two weeks agp.  I'm pretty tired though and might bail out on the the Seattle Marathon with my Marathon Maniac friend whose ALS is dragging him down to my speed evern though he's eleven years younger.  Except for his arms though, his legs and respiratories are stong so the prognosis is vastly improved.

Oh, I got last place in my AG, . . . I mean first place in my AG and couldn't be happier (even though I cant change the OA DGL)..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)