Masters Running

Monday Jan. 21 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 690 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly you show me a weighted duck squat and I'll show you a traffic island, seriously can someone tell me in simple terms how to post photographs onto messages my photo's are in Vista. How about if I call it a roundabout, its not a pedestrian refuge.
    Weighted duck squat: plant your feet wide apart with toes pointing outward and a barbell or 2 dumbbells in your hands, resting at your hips. Bend your knees and squat until your thighs are horizontal with the ground. Rise and repeat. I upload photos to flikr.com, then I right-click on the properties of the photo, copy and insert it into my post like this: {img}properties{/img} But instead of the {} I use a <>.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

GreenMan

But can you get "Bambi Meets Godzilla" on Netflix????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCUBVS4kfQ Now that's class. ......
      I was just mentioning this movie to DW this VERY DAY, mere hours ago!!! That's not too odd, because she's says I go on and on about it. I saw in an English class the 70s. I thought it was in color, but may have have just been me. Walked 3 miles jjj
      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
        Happ Martin Luther King day. WMVY's "afternoon mind bender" today was: Name the tree grown nearly exclusively in Sri Lanka and India that has 2 cm berries. Wood is very dark, a piece of this tree's wood will sink in water. Name the tree.
        Is it Mangosteen? If not, never mind. Rest day here. Wish I could get into strength training, core work, but I am not very motivated.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

aw, Doug. that stinks. Stevep, good to hear from you. I took a picture for you the other day. or was it of you? I wonder how Erika & llene & the rest of the Carlsbad bunch did. DH, yay for your 5 miles. -). nice runs, workouts & rests, everybody. perch, I'm going to try pool running soon.
            Zero miles today (passive recovery) or just too darn busy...again.

Manchild

Is it Mangosteen? If not, never mind. Rest day here. Wish I could get into strength training, core work, but I am not very motivated.
              The answer is the ebony tree. Who knew, I sure as hell didn't... Tall, happy to know it went well..Yeah, I'm thinkin' of you and that whole "D" thing, some of us have been through it and know what emotions one may go through. It took me like forever to get over it. I'm glad that you've met someone and that you are still able to be a great father. Good luck, as always!!! Chris
              evanflein

Hi everyone! I had a chance to quickly scan today's thread... sitting on the "sun roof" (in the dark) at my hotel in Avalon, on Catalina Island. Truly, this is the ONLY place to get internet access here! At least it's free... Jules, what Holly calls "duck squats" are typically called Plie Squats in weightlifters' lingo. (Plie with the accent mark over the e that I can't figure out in the dark, but like the ballet move) Very good workout for glutes and inner thighs, especially with a 25 to 30 lb dumbbell... Yeah, baby! My "recovery run" today was a 7.8 mile hike/jog/walk with dh at a 10% grade up to the East Summit of Catalina Island. Wow... what a view! We could make out the edges of Mexico to the south and the container ships sitting off coast of Long Beach or something like that... (my southern CA geography is so good...). Took us just over 2 hours to do all of it, but what a trip it was! Wow is all I can say. We saw a doe with two fawns (not newborn) at the beginning but nothing other than crows after that. I was wearing a tank top and shorts, dh in t-shirt and shorts, and we passed several Californians who looked at us like we were crazy...they were all bundled up in jackets, gloves, boots, etc. Quickie on Carlsbad... Good run, got kinda hot (for me) at the end... 3:51:28 chip time so good for another BQ but not a PR. Oh well, it was a very hilly course, Opie and I agreed the elevation chart didn't really reflect the actual course. Got some good pictures, etc, but will save them for my race report.... to be posted later. I'll let Opie tell his story... but he did awesome. Off tomorrow for the conference in Vegas... will have time to put together a RR while I'm there.
                  DH, yay for your 5 miles. -).
                  Debbie, Thanks. I was pleased: 5 miles is a long way for me to go, given my recent knee troubles. I set the treadmill for 6.0 mph for the first 0.25 miles, then raised it to 6.1 for the next 0.25 miles, and increased the speed 0.1 mph every 0.25 miles till I reached 6.7 mph (8:57 mile pace), and stayed at that speed the rest of the way. I hadn't expected to be able to run 5 miles, but it was there, so I took it. Smile Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                  munchkn883

At 3 p.m. I braved the cold and walked 5.5 miles. It felt great and I'm glad I did it.
                      happy monday!! crosstraining day for me.....30 minutes arc trainor, abs/obliques, circuit training room - i alternate 2 machines then a minute of cardio thruout the circuit, then more core work

denise

Cashmason

Note to self: Don't mess with Holly.
                        Cashmason

Cross training. 4 hours of golf.

Marathon Maniac #957

Cash - I'm jealous of your golf x-training... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."