Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 6.13.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Yikes! Friday the 13th (and I read there is supposed to be a full moon tonight, although we'll be having rain here and won't see it)!

Yesterday afternoon, I rushed to get the lawn mowed as soon as I got home - I moved the self-propelled mower up to another gear to get the job done faster, and was almost racewalking behind it - could 'a been a very productive workout! Then I went to the meadow by our local pond to help neighbors cut down, once again, the #@%!* invasive (and fast-growing) Japanese Knotweed. Two of us with weed-whackers got it all down in 45 minutes. So I still had time to get home to get the salad made before DW arrived.

3.3 relatively easy RW miles this morning, with some quick-step drills thrown in for the fun of it. I have a 10K tomorrow, so today's goal was just to stay loose. A couple of guys in a truck went by and shouted that I was a weirdo for being out before 5am. They made me laugh...

Gotta go - we have vernal pool assessment (in the rain, of course) this morning. I know - I get to have all the fun!

Have a greta Friday, and good luck, fleet feet, and big grins to all of this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Mmmm...nothing like a good Japanese Knotweed salad.

Fletch

Jay - I'll echo the thanks from the others for your daily posts.  They have really helped me start to get to know everyone here.

MikeE - That's a heckuva run on "shot legs!"  And I like the colorful hair.  Maybe I'll see if I can find someone to do mine like that, but in a red, white and blue for a Patriot 5k coming up on 4th of July.

Day 5 of 14 days of the US Opens.  From now through next Sunday, I'll be at the course (working) every day, with the exception of next Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday.  Guests at our house through this Sunday, then possibly again next weekend.  Not getting much sleep, but have been able to get out for a run on most mornings.  It's a lot of fun, but I'm sure I'll be exhausted by next Sunday.

3.1 miles this morning in 26:57.

Starr, congrats on the tri.  fatozzig, I'm sorry to hear about your car but glad to know your dad is ok.  Fletch, happy anniversary.

Nice long runs for Mike and evan.

Yesterday, I planned on a 4 mile run but woke up with diarrhea.  I felt carpy and moped around all day.  This morning, I was a little better but still felt weak and a bit carpy.  I went for a leisurely 2 mile walk just to move a bit.  Shortly we will be leaving for Ludington to see my mother.  The original plan was to run a 5K race tomorrow while I am there but that probably won't happen.

A good day and good runs (in my present condition, my standard sign off doesn't seem right) for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

I learned something new about this moon that I never heard of before. It's called a Honey Moon and hasn't happened since 1919. Maybe that's why I haven't heard of it before. A bit before my time. I hope our overcast skies clear up today so I can actually see it. We've had nothing but clear skies for a month now and the one time there's something cool to see, we get clouds. go figure.

crazy busy week at work and i'm hoping today will bring closure to some very complicated motions I'm working on. Gave all my drafts to the attorney yesterday and am hoping/praying for minimal revisions today.  I don't think I've ever sat on my butt for so many hours on end in my life. and I'm feeling it too! I might need some deep tissue massage from sitting too long. Would rather that deep tissue work came from running too much though.  David actually took the whole week off from running also. He'd been having some off and on knee discomfort so thought maybe he'd take a week off before he starts summer training with the HS on Monday.

Tammy

Happy Friday the 13th ~~

Yeah, was it a Japanese Knotwood salad???

Tselbs - Here's hoping there are plenty of restrooms on the route to your moms.

Tammy - Echoing the clear skies now cloudy since something neat is suppose to happen.  Figures.

The Car - My dad's insurance will cover it, and his deductible is only $100, where ours is $500.  It'll take about a week to get the police report, so we won't know until then who, if anybody, is found to be at fault.  It's my dad's word against the other guy's since, like I said, no witnesses stuck around.  Unfortunately, my dad's insurance doesn't cover the cost of a rental car in this situation, so with almost 2-week estimate before I get my car back, looks like we'll be stuck with a $450 rental car bill that I don't feel right making him pay.

Between that, the two cat vet visits, and the fact we're having to replace the back window/door on the truck canopy (Shorty's work truck-another long story), by the time all this is over, it will have been a very expensive couple of months.  I think I need to go hustle more transcription work.

We have family in town, camping for the week.  Spent last night at their campsite, sitting around the fire, shooting the bull, roasting s'mores.  It was really nice.  When I was a kid, this was the family - my dad's DS and BIL and their 3 girls - we grew up with.  We spent a lot of Fridays driving over to Taft for the weekend, I would go spend a couple of weeks during the summer with them, we spent a lot of vacations camping together, almost every Christmas.  Very close.  As we all grew up and went our separate ways, us kids haven't kept in touch at all.  This trip, I've had the opportunity to get to know the youngest of the 3 girls (she's 44), and I've loved it.  She and her husband are a couple that I know we'd be friends with if we all lived closer.  Unfortunately, we're 15 hrs apart, but I'm determined to not let another upteen years pass before we all see each other again.

Hope you all have a safe and wonderful weekend ~~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Forgot to ask - Anybody have any advice re OTC allergy meds?  The Hub is having a really hard time of it, especially considering he mows lawns, etc., all day.  His nose is so clogged, he sounds like someone shoved a butt load of cotton up his nose, yet he's blowing out profuse amounts of snot.  It's actually quite incredible.

We've tried the CVS version of Claritin (w/Loratadine), we've tried your basic nasal decongestant - nothing's working.  With no insurance on him, he won't go to the doc to see how much a prescription med might be.

Because we had such a mild winter, the allergy season is predicted to be epic around here this year.  I take Claritin on a daily basis and am still battling very itchy eyes, nose, and throat.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...fatozzig//..........have him use a Bandana over his nose and mouth, then take some Chlorpherimine 4mg prior to the mowing..

=========

...ps.....jay//.........unless you're a French Crusader, I think you'll be ok today...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Leslie, I found the Claritin didn't work for me, but Zyrtec did. Also, I prefer the nasal sprays... Nasacort is now OTC and that's what I use. My allergies are just birch pollen, and I'm about done with mine. I start in late April and go thru mid to late June. Works like a charm. Regular decongestants don't work, and the decongestant nasal sprays (like Afrin, etc) are not good at all.

Overcast day here, but it's supposed to be warmest day all week. Hmmm. So what is the Honey Moon? We won't see it anyway since not only are we overcast, we also are at almost 22 hours of daylight so no moon till August.

Howdy everyone!

Jay - What Fletch said.. I'll echo the thanks from the others for your daily posts.  They have really helped me start to get to know everyone here..

Leslie - no help on allergy meds, I really feel for anyone who goes thru that every summer..Wow, $100 deductible, that's nice!

Been pouring all day,doctor appt later on this afternoon.. Streaming world cup here in work..

TammyinGP

a Honey Moon:

" An amber-tinted moon, called a honey moon, will light up the night sky on Thursday, June 12, and into the early morning hours of Friday the 13th. The honey moon always appears in June around the summer solstice, and this year it's special because it occurs during a full moon. The honey moon officially reaches its full phase at 12:13 a.m ET on Friday morning.

This full moon represents another rare intersection of events — it falls on Friday the 13th. This hasn't happened in the month of June since June 13, 1919, and will not happen again until June 13, 2098

another blurb: 
                        A “Friday the 13th Honey Moon” is basically the subset of: 1. Fridays that fall on the 13th day of the month that also 2. Fall in the month of June, and 3. Occur on a Full Moon.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

More than you prolly want to know about the honey moon (DH loves astrology stuff, so I got an earful last night):

The honey moon officially reaches its full moon phase at 12:13 a.m. EDT on Friday morning for eastern North America. But its honey hues will shine most brightly in the early evening.

With the sun's path across the sky at its highest during this month of the summer solstice, the moon is at its lowest, which keeps the lunar orb close to the horizon and makes it appear more amber than other full moons this year.

The amber colors are due to the scattering of longer wavelengths of light by dust and pollution in our atmosphere. "It is a similar phenomenon as seen at sunset, when sunlight is scattered towards the red end of the spectrum, making the sun's disk appear orange-red to the naked-eye," says astronomer Raminder Singh Samra of the H. R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, Canada.

The most spectacular part of the so-called honey moon begins hours before midnight, due to an illusion by which the moon appears larger to sky-watchers when it's near the horizon than when it hangs high in the sky.

Researchers aren't quite sure what causes this optical illusion of a larger moon near the horizon, but they suspect it has something to do with the human mind trying to make sense of the moon's proximity to more familiar objects like mountains, trees and houses in the foreground.

I had court this week and work got busy, so I went awol a bit.  I did change my underware before chowing down my Japanese Knotwood Salad last night, however, then decided to take off today.  Honest, I really did just go out for a two mile stroll this am, in my Birkenstocks so I couldn't run even if I wanted to.  Which I didn't.  Must have been the salad (or the change of underware?)

Y'all eat like birds.    One of the best parts of the long run is the big Bagel Factory bagel beforehand.  Once I down that, I know I have the power to sally forth.

I think maybe I need to run with less noise in my ears/head.  Thanks for the inspiration, all you wise folks.  Love you all (ok, maybe I just like you newbies so far, but you're all on track.  I give it another week before I'm fully smitten.)

HAve greta weekends!

grins,

A

ps: I think the youngsters are getting things together over at Fenway and that things will perk up especially much after the 4th. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Thanks for the allergy info, Tom and Erika.  Yesterday he said he pulled his turtleneck up over his nose.  Not sure if it helped since we sat around a campfire last night and got blasted.

I'll look for the Chlorpherimine.  I've tried to get him to wear a face mask type thing, but he won't, so in that respect he's doing it to himself.  But this round of snot-blowing we had in the middle of night may be enough to get him to change his mind.  Maybe.

Aamos - I LOVE bagels, but have only had one since I changed my diet.  Jalapeno bagel with cream cheese, tomato, red onion, smoked salmon and Larrupin Mustard Sauce - Oh freaking my!!!  (excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin . . . .)

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well, I for one had never heard of a honey moon unrelated to people until today!  I am still not sure what makes a honey moon rare.  Sounds like any late spring full moon should qualify if it about a season's influence on our perception of the moon's color.  

I am not going to run until tomorrow.  So, nothing to report other than cooking.  Last night I tried a fajita style marinade on chicken thighs which were then turned into enchilada suizas of a sort.  Not bad.  Not memorable but not bad.  Tonight it is a flank steak that by the time dinner rolls around will have been in a red wine based marinade a bit over 24 hours.  We will see how it turns out.  DW wants pasta with it since she is planning to run 11 tomorrow.  I have a tomato based one with sauteed onions and mushrooms that I will likely cobble together.  It is my "cook at home" pre-marathon pasta dinner.  Quite light, other than for the pasta.  Perfect setup for a run and simple to make.

Directions for those that care:

Saute an onion until lightly brown.  Include a few red pepper flakes if you like.  Then add garlic (4 cloves if you are me) and sliced mushrooms (an 8oz standard sized box should be fine).  Continue to saute until the mushrooms "melt down" a bit.  Toss in some white wine to deglaze the pan with (figure a quarter to half a cup).  Then add chopped tomatoes (one big one or two little ones) and reduce down to whatever consistency you like your sauce.  If you are using plum tomatoes you may need to add more wine at this point to loosen the sauce up a bit.  Just before serving add some fresh chopped basil to the (hot) sauce.  Quite good and like I said very easy to make.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Very nice Twocat and seems pretty straightforward to make.

Tselbs, hope you feel better.

Leslie, any time someone here asks a question about meds and is lucky enough to get TW to respond, listen to TW.

Fletch, that redesigned Pinehurst II is the talk of the Open I hear.

We just got back from picking Hudson up from TCU as his investment program is over. Nice lunch they put on for the kids and parents and H. is quite excited now about looking at business programs. He did his final presentation today on Altria, which surprised me no end, but I listened to him in the car on the way home and he had some cogent reasons about his optimism.

Another 5 mile run this morning, about 10;37 pace, my third in a row.  Things are coming along.  Spareribs