Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.15.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Welcome Brian! I'm very sorry to learn of your mom's passing. You've got a great, supportive group of people here, so feel welcome to chat, vent, or whatever else will help you get through this difficult time.

Holly, I know you'll have a great vacation, regardless of the weather!

Steve, those are gorgeous photos. What did happen to Tag's shirt?

Speaking of shoes, I've been wearing a pair of Mizuno Hitogami on and off for a few weeks. They are nice and light, but still have some cushioning, and have a low heel (which I need). But the sole of the shoe is a bit stiffer than I'd like, and I can't seem to get them loosened up.

6.1 tempo RW miles at the regular time this morning. It was a mild 57F, but was also quite humid. There was a nice half moon high in the sky, but it was obscured for more than half my workout by some incredibly dense fog - I felt like I was out on the moors. By the time I left for the office, the fog was lifting, but was still drifting around and through the achingly-beautiful fall colors that are still clinging to the trees. This has been, and continues to be a gorgeous and most-colorful Fall here in New England. If only all those leaves didn't wind up in my driveway...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

Rainy here too, last night and this am.  Got a little shower last night on a warm up mile at Spedsters and then sprinkles this am.  But it's cooler here, yippee!!  Still sleeveless and shorts, but in the low 70s.  So good!

Welcome Brian.  Glad to meet  you.  Hope you find some comfort and smiles here.

I didn't know that Dave AND twocat were being chased by vampires.  Shouldn't we get Tag the Avenger Doggie after them, at least the Michigan ones?

While running this am, (segue into non running item)  I heard a promo that NPR would cover the announcement of the National Book Awards short list.  WHile I am usually all over the fiction list, this time it's the non-fiction nominees that caught my attention.  Roz Chast, the New Yorker cartoonist, is up for her Can't We Talk About SOmething More Pleasant?, an account of her aging parents and her efforts to help them deal with the aging process and attendant issues.  Really good.

Yuk, Erika.   Hope you get a respite before winter takes firm hold up there.

Great photos, Steve!

How's the business trip, C-R?

Missing the NE crew this am.  Training update report especially missing from Sir Stumpy.

8 miles last night, 5 with Speedsters.  Warm up mile before and after 3 miles of 400s.  I hate 400s, also 200s.  But we have a 10K coming up this weekend, AND a 10 miler, so toughed it all out.  The entire 8.6 mile mess was at 8:09 pace so the 400s were fast enough for me after a marathon and 5K.  3 easy ones this am in sprinkles.

Happy Hump Day to us!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

TwoCat - yes, we had a very hot and very dry summer. More 100+ degree days than any other summer since the 1930's. And when our ski resorts never even opened this past winter due to not even an inch of snow, we knew we were in for a bad summer. It poured  buckets last night and that's really the first measurable rainfall we've had since about March/April. There were times this summer that we had so little water in our 2000 gal holding tank and the well was not refilling it, that we would just leave and go camping for 3-4 days. Over the course of 3-4 days, our well would only pump approx 1200-1500 gallons of water.  So, it was a wise decision to limit my gardening this year as it would have been an effort in futility with not having sufficient water to combat the extreme heat we had. 

David has his last regular meet today. Next week is Districts and the following week is State, if they make it. We have such a small team compared to other schools in our district so it's real iffy. But David is sure hoping they can make state. It's in Eugene on 11/1 and they would finish up on Hayward Field, so that would be like a dream come true for him. Whenever I've taken him up to Eugene to watch the Prefontaine, he's always said that someday he hopes to run there too. 

Welcome to the group Brian. I"m sorry to hear of your moms passing. As you can already see, this is a very supportive group. odd at times, quirky, but very supportive.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!  For a little bit longer, anyway....

No time to say much, just stopped to say hello and I hope you have a great day!

5 easy-paced miles this morning in 52 degrees.  Still a bit creaky but not bad....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly -

I liked what you said about Dave's high regard for Michigan as a vacation destination.

After looking at Steve's photos of the fall there, I'd like to go back someday after all.

I'm sorry I didn't know how much fun running was when I was there in the sixties

Fortunately, the Michiganders are making it all come true anyway, . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...now my car broke............The October of Terror marches on....

=========

..24mpr deo

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

...now my car broke............The October of Terror marches on....

It's like an October Halloween movie.

maybe forget the exercising

for some exorcising.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Welcome, Brian, and I think you'll find that the people here are as friendly as you'll find anywhere on the web!

Jay, every once in a while I get the bug to try a new type/model of shoe, but always remind myself that I have been running injury-free and without foot problems in my current brand. Are these that different from what you used to wear?

Hmm... So Robin thinks that 10-minute-pace runners are "super slow" and good for nothing except getting in her way? I'll remember to come back when she's my age and see if her opinion has changed any! ;-) Actually I do agree with her about the frequent cluelessness of those near the back of the pack. I usually try to cheat a bit and start ahead of my actual pace point so that I can get clear of them and run in the clear while also letting faster runners pass me easily.

I'll second Dave59's comments about Michigan. Take this morning for example: After an all-day rain yesterday it was still a bit cool and threatening this morning as I headed out to do a run on the path around Stoney Creek Lake (a bit too muddy for the unpaved trails). But by the time we finished the 6-mile loop, the sun was breaking through and illuminating the fall color in the leaves, which in turn were reflecting in the glass-like surface of the lake. Beautiful, even if it did mean that I was once again overdressed for conditions.

(Of course, give it a month and it will be stark, bare trees surrounding a lake with whitecaps under a leaden sky as a cold winter wind sweeps across, freezing us as we run on the open stretch across the dam!)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

DrRobin, nice 10K with the slow folks.  icom, welcome and post often.  Sorry about your mom.  steve, enjoyed the great pictures of Michigan scenery in the fall.  tomw, you could use some good luck.

This morning, it was in the high 50s and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:04 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

coatwalker I also run in the Hitogami.  I typically use them for my shorter "general aerobic" runs.  I had not noticed them being stiff but then I am pretty dense when it comes to such things.

icom100 welcome to the daily!

Avenger Doggie I am impressed you can take such good pictures without any thumbs or fingers!  Be careful, you never know what kind of damage that human SteveP you run with might do if you let him have it!  

I went out for 14 pretty drippy miles with the dew point well into the 60's.  But I survived!  Busy day preparing lectures.  I got talked into giving one for our executive education program.  Oh well, the terms are pretty good so it is hard for me to complain too much.  Back to putting together PowerPoint slides

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

icom100

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. Between my family, church, and here, I think I have quite a support team. Did 2.54 miles in 33 min on the treadmill this afternoon. Been working on a strengthing plan which includes 10 min @ 4,5 mph, 10 min at 4.6 mph, 10 min @ 4,7, mph, then incrimenting 4.8 mph from one min on Monday, two min on Tuesday, etc up to 5 minutes on Friday, then 3.2 miles at 4.5 mph for this week, 3.3 at 4.6 mph next week, etc. Also incrementing the weekday runs by .1 mph each week, eg, 4.6 mph, then 4.7 mph, then 4.8 mph each at 10 min, then 4.9 mph for one min on Monday, etc. Going to try to increase this way each week. Hopefully this will be something I can do every day instead of longer and faster and being hit and miss on my workouts because of recovery time or injury. Already nursing a hamstring/siatica thing right now. Are any of you competative age group runners? I was a middle of the pack runner back in my 30s. Would like to be competative in my 50s. Anyway, enough for today. Thanks for any input as far as my training plan goes.

B

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  icom came back...cool.

No run for me, tonight.  DW and I were supposed to go out but she is not feeling well...so...I'm working on other things.

Hey, Tammy--how did David and his team do?

I hope you have a great vacation, Holly.  Try not to think about work...stay out of the rain...and stay away from Ribs.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

...welcome icom//......this is a very supportive group, just let us know how you're doing........

hell,

if they let ME stick around, you're a shoo-in..........enjoy the site.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

H

I hope you have a great vacation, Holly.  Try not to think about work...stay out of the rain...and stay away from Ribs.

Right on on with the advice.

Funny, North Americans are the only homo sapiens who actually worry about the pile of work that awaits for them during their vacation time.

I ran 10 miles between rain storm and I had a rainbow to witness my cool run meandering through the orchards.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Steve, those are gorgeous photos. What did happen to Tag's shirt?

Jay

I thought I had a good idea. But it wasn't so good. Mom was loud because me and Dad both had dirty clothes.

I didn't know that Dave AND twocat were being chased by vampires.  Shouldn't we get Tag the Avenger Doggie after them, at least the Michigan ones?

grins,

A

I do not like monsters at all!!! I get behind my couch and yell at them to go away or I will get 'em get 'em!! When we are outside and and it is dark too, I get behind Dad and holler on the monsters so I can keep him safe.

Gardens are dumb, Tammy. Mom and Dad put up a big cage to keep dumb plants from going run run run. Then they go in there and dig dig dig. I go in and dig dig dig to help out and Mom gets all hollering on me. I have a treat when I am in there and she gets mad too.

Tet, you come and see where we live and I can show you how to go run run run in Michigan and chase critters and get sticks. I don't wear shoes too. Then Dad will take us to get ice cream. He knows every where to get ice cream.

TomWhite. I am sad about your car. When Dad works on his or Mom's. He uses bad words.

icom100, when me and Dad go run run run at races, I want to be the bestest runner there is. Dad keeps me on a leash and he is slow slow slow. Sometimes I smell burning bacon when we go run run run. I makes me sad because I know dad forgot to use Glide again and his thighs are rubbing together.

When Dad got home from work, me and him and Mom went out in the woods. Mom wanted to hike and Dad did too. I was all over the place tearing around. It was fun fun fun!

Dad got all rexcited because he looked in a tree and seen a mushroom.

He tried to climb up the tree to get it. Mom hollered on Dad to just leave it. He listens like a cat. It was interesting what Dad was doing to climb up the tree. After Dad kept sliding down the tree, he looked around the trail and took his boots and pants off and climbed the tree some more. Mom hollered on Dad and asked him, "What's the matter with you?!?", really loud like. Then she told him she was not going to visit him in jail. She tells him that a lot. Dad sure got it though. When he got down, Mom was way down the trail and Dad was getting his stuff back on again. That mushroom must be better than ice cream because Dad will not let me have any of it.

Sniffing Butts, Tag