Masters Running

Sun Oct 16 Runs and Workouts (Read 375 times)

Good morning, everyone! I'm looking forward to hearing the results of our local Marine Corps Marathon -- I have a few friends running in it. Today's run was a relatively short medium long run -- still building after Portland. I will set up my plan for the next cycle later today -- I guess I'll probably be maintaining for a couple of weeks before I start training again. 11 mile progression run target 2@9:30, 3@9:06, 3@8:43, 3@7:55, actual pace(AHR) 9:12(130), 8:53(140), 8:26(147), 7:44(164). Overall: 11.2 miles, 1:35, 8:29/mi, AHR 148 Go racers!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

12.1 miles at a nice easy 10:28 pace. It's a beautiful fall morning out there. This is my first 40+ mile week since Portland. I'm listening to "What I Talk About when I Talk about Running" by Haruki Murakami. It's a bit of a memoir in which he compares the training, discipline and focus required for distance running with the focus required to pursue his passion of writing. It's certainly not a technical treatment of running - more a philosophical one. I'm enjoying it.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

DickyG

Hi Lou & PDR...nice efforts for both of you this morning...wasn't it cold when you went out...think it was about 34-35 when I got up...and dark outside even though I slept in. Well, I got beat again...gee, what a surprise. I posted a RR so the daily won't be burdened with my foul mood. Didn't post anything yesterday because: (1) I was disgusted once again and (2) Immediately after the race, I flew 3 friends down to Atlanta to see the UVA-Georgia Tech game. All the before & after weight-loss pics were both terrific and inspiring. Man, I just gotta take off some weight! Timbo: Hey...that bike dude...Rasmussen...looks like some guy in a vampire movie! I seem to remember his name, though...doesn't he do the race that Lance always won? Holly: Your Saturday 15-miler was impressive...even more so with those sub-9 miles thrown in. Peter: I'm awed, dude! Can't wait to read your RR...hope it's long and detailed. Teresa: What a great 5K! Sub-30! I think finishing a race on the track is very, very cool...spectators can sit in the stands..even reminds you of the Olympics marathon finish. Tet: You too! You are getting fast in your old age...way to go! Enke:...and you too! RR? No run today...golf this afternoon. Tomorrow I break in a new pair of Adidas Adizero-CS, even though I still have one more pair of Asics Gel-Flash in the box. Since I doubt I'll be racing anymore until Peachtree in July, I'll just be concentrating on avoiding injuries, trying to build my stamina a little, and cheering for all you guys. DickyG
          A nice easy 10.07 miles for me this morning. 1:29:54 (8:54) - Avg HR 121 Max HR 129. I had just stopped raining and was cloudy, very humid and 60 degrees out...we won't see 60 too many more times this yea. Cry
            I am, alas, still suffering from a cold. Worse, my left hamstring is acting up. I think this is a remnant from last Sunday's 4 mile race. Anyway, between the cold and the hamstring I did not run yesterday and will not run today either. Cry I cannot tell you how jealous I am of everybody here! Oh well . . . I am glad to see mainerunnah's NYC Marathon training is proceeding apace. Good luck with your 3:15 goal! My new plan is to just see how things go, so I fear I am unlikely to end up trying to keep pace with you during the race. DickyG I am sorry to hear you had a disappointing race. FWIW, taking off weight will certainly help reduce your finish times. That, and that alone, is what gives me the motivation to see all of the great things to eat around me and then manage to keep them out of my mouth! Big grin If you go all out to drop the pounds I wish you well in your endeavor.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, No running for me today...like I could run even if I wanted to...LOL I posted the obligatory RR and though I was I little winded with the report I was very excited and honestly didn't think that I could actually BQ yesterday. Thanks for all the support. Good run/rest today to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Just read Peter's RR... don't miss it, it's great! After 2 miles at 10:00 with Tory, I drove to the Marathon route and ran 10.5 miles of hills covering miles 10-20 of the course. Averaged 8:34 pace and reminded myself that those hills will wear you out! This is going to be a tough one on minimal training. It did feel really nice out there in sunny 48F in the woods with leaves falling. I now have a fear of bridges. Whenever I came to a bridge, the nice feeling downhill run ended and the trudgery of a long uphill started. Beware the Bridges... Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Today's run was a relatively short medium long run
                  OK, Lou, have you been drinking beer for breakfast??? You really did a "short medium long run?" Big grin Perch, I like the term "trudgery." Well, after I HTFU'd yesterday and went out for a long run in the wind, of course this morning it's warm, calm, and sunny. I'll go out later for a few miles with Tazzie and Ladybug. Now off to read race reports!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

7 miles with 1/2 of it run in the predawn light...lovely morning! Glad I got rained out last night! I must have been tired reading the dailly yesterday, as I missed that Tet and Enke raced -- sorry folks -- didn't mean to overlook you! Sounds like you both had a good time out there! {{{{DickyG}}}} {{{{Twocat}}}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

OK, Lou, have you been drinking beer for breakfast???
                      I already warned Lou about keeping his beer drinking and running separate. He never listens. Good runs this morning. I finally made it over to that before/after weight loss thread. Wow! Amazing what folks can accomplish. I received an Ipod Shuffle as a present this week so today was the day to try it out. (Well, actually, my first attempt earlier this week was a disaster as the earbuds that came with it just would not stay in for me. I ended up buying a new pair shaped very differently and all was fine today.) After getting over feeling a bit like a cyborg, I had a lot of fun experimenting with different kinds of music seeing what worked (techno, Latin jazz, Afro-pop, Middle Eastern percussive) and what didn’t (bluegrass!) for running. Music definitely transforms your run. I wouldn’t want to use it all the time, but I can see how music really helps you to dissociate when needed. It’s got me thinking I might bring one along for the last 10K of my marathon. We’ll see. The tunes must have inspired me because I managed to crank out 22 miles at exactly 8:00 minute pace on a course that was mostly flat with some rolling hills (not counting short break midway to refill Fuel Belt). AHR was 136 / 70% HRR—what’s up with that? That’s as good as it ever gets for me. Followed up with a 1.6 mile cool-down jog/walk. Just IRC today. Felt great from the start and just stuck with it. I’m rounding out my day with an ice bath, ibuprofens, and a date with a lounge chair on the sunny back deck. Smile Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Much like Lou I did a medium long short run today Roll eyes 7.5 miles with lots of hills at easy pace. Peter what's with the day off? you have to start training for Boston man! Clowning around Twocat get well I enjoyed all those weekend race reports Congrats again to all the racers!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hey folks, good morning! I've been trying to catch up on the dailies and RR from last week and this weekend. I've been away from the computer for a bit and have not posted my runs of last week. And here they are. Monday...a nice easy 3 miles under the St. Louis Arch. (that was alot of back and forths! Big grin ) Tuesday...a nice easy 5 miler along the Riverside Trail with two running friends. One is a seasoned marathoner from New York, the other a low mileage runner from the CDC in Atlanta. Thurs....a pretty quick 8 miler along the Riverside Trail with afore mentioned seasoned New Yorker. Today....an easy 7 miler back at home. About that Riverside Trail.....Runners World highlighted St. Louis and a couple of their running locations in an issue a couple months back. The Riverside Trail run, a 7 plus mile out and back along the Mississippi River, was close to our hotel. So that seemed to be perfect. I guess I was expecting more of a scenic trail with grass and trees and landscaping and stuff. Well, it is along the river all right and through old industrial area and completely rundown and delapidated structures. Not pretty, did not feel safe, but at least I didn't have to watch out for traffic and such. If I can change the way I look at this I come up with this...my goal of getting an 7 plus mile run without traffic distraction/interuption was met. Also nice conversation with my running friends....I don't normally run with a partner. So all is well! Also, while in St. Louis, a couple cohorts and myself went to the Jazz Bistro and saw Javon Jackson and jazz legend Les McCann. I've not been exposed to much jazz, but it was really good! We all enjoyed it quite a bit. Now back to regularly scheduled programming for me. Later, my friends.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          dg.

good afternoon! So nice to have the Beers start. PDR, I'm glad you've had more time to post lately. Maybe that means work is less insane? That books sounds like something I'd like... I'm working on discipline & focus. Thanks for mentioning it. NIce runs, you two. oh... Lou, I knew you were kidding. still... DG, {{{ }}}. I want to lose a few too. thinking about Lou's sandwich helps. Wink. Carolyn, your wind bravery yesterday helped me go out this morning with promised rain, a high wind advisory, & low 40's for the temps. Turned out to be nice, so all was good. Nono, how's your foot? is it your smoke alarm foot? {{{Twocat}}}. get better. Mainerunner, you always inspire me. Peter, congratulations!!!!! Thanks for all the butt empathy, advice, & hugs Friday! Big grin. Also for the thoughts about my aunt.. she was 97! She was a class act in every way. Don't know how else to put it. I miss her. It was good to see my family. Relatively trauma free. With the talk about weight loss lately, i want to give some credit to one of my brothers... he has type 1 diabetes & lots of complications and associated stresses, but still has managed to lose 100 lb. I'm so proud of him. I will but all that advice to use today. It was over the top beautiful by the river today, but my run wasn't the best. ow. 10:22 miles, 10:08 average pace, 7:35 max. ahr 163, max 177. It wasn't pretty, but I did it. I know there were other things from the last couple of days I wanted to comment on, but I forget what they were. Roll eyes happy Sunday

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

The tunes must have inspired me because I managed to crank out 22 miles at exactly 8:00 minute pace on a course that was mostly flat with some rolling hills (not counting short break midway to refill Fuel Belt). AHR was 136 / 70% HRR—what’s up with that? That’s as good as it ever gets for me. Followed up with a 1.6 mile cool-down jog/walk. Just IRC today. Felt great from the start and just stuck with it. I’m rounding out my day with an ice bath, ibuprofens, and a date with a lounge chair on the sunny back deck. Smile Have a good one.
                              WoW Tramps! You are going to have a spectacular Richmond!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Going out shortly for a short medium short run. Will work on my RR later.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."