Masters Running

starting over on Dec 1 (Read 303 times)

lswife

I began running two years ago after DD encouraged me to get off the couch and do the C25K program which she had had success with. The 9-week program took me about 16 weeks to finish, but I was hooked - I found that after a life of non-activity (full-time teaching, married, busy kids at home, etc.), I enjoyed running. Over time, I've had a couple of set-backs but I quickly return to running, yet tomorrow will feel like the beginning. My last 5K was on Labor Day. In September my running then went from 5 days a week, down to 3, down to 1, and then none - and I haven't done anything for about 9 weeks. So tomorrow, Dec 1, I begin again. I'll take a week to walk fast before I do Day1/Week1 on the program. I'm almost 61, a bit round, type 2 diabetic, and procrastinate - all bad and unhealthy excuses to continue taking it easy. My speed? Fast walkers beat me. Reading your posts, your successes and challenges, have encouraged me.
    TammyinGP

good for you lswife, for getting back into the routine again after some time off. And you are approaching it a smart way - to start out with fast walking rather than jump back into the running again. Best wishes for you as December marks a new start for you and I'm confident 2009 will be a good year for health and exercise habits as well!

Tammy

Mariposai

I began running two years ago after DD encouraged me to get off the couch and do the C25K program which she had had success with. Reading your posts, your successes and challenges, have encouraged me.
        Your post is so encouraging to me. I believe we always wake up in the morning having the same feeling....we did great yesterday, but we WILL do better today. Great to hear from you LSwife that you are starting anew on December First. WTG. Please keep us up today with your victories and your struggles. We all need to hear the good and positive steps we are all taking towards whole wellness. Will run at least 2 miles today...I promise. Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

WTG on the new re-start! Life is full of challenges and set backs. The true test of our mettle is how we deal with them and move forward. You have a ton of support here on RA... post on the Daily thread and let us know how you're doing! (and no, you don't have to run to post... lots of times the thread is started by a "rest day" or "cross training" poster.)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Fast walkers beat me.
            welcome, . . . and you're doin' better than me 'cause they don't have to be fast to beat me. However, don't read any more of my posts as i'm going to embark on a month-long taper for our annual New Year's Day Resolution Run with finale plunge into Lake Washington. tim - congratulations on taper day 30 and full-fledged membership in nonrunners anonymous half way on your way to full recovery. Your feet will be thanking you everyday next year. I started my annual December a day early, . . . and best taper day ever with post-marathon dinner with four Kick goddesses <>soundrunner, souci, sally, tumbleweed)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lswife - we all have struggles with motivation and go through our own challenges. You are certainly not alone in that! I'm so glad you've decided to restore your commitment to fitness, and I hope you keep posting. We would like to hear about your progress.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

A new beginning, lswife. We are here with you.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

I remember you - welcome back! Every day is a new day, and December 1 is a great day for a new start. Don't worry about speed, we have all varieties here.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Good for you! Nothing wrong with resting a bit before a restart. Wink For me, what keeps me out there running (besides running away from my family!) is a few races scattered throughout the calendar year. Maybe that would work for you, too.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! I was just flipping through some of the weekends posts and was happy to see Ribs, Rochrunner and Jlynne posting!!! Big grin lswife - Just hanging around this crazy, addictive place will help keep you motivated. I got a 10 mile run in Thanksgiving morning. A very enjoyable and inspirational in a way. While running down a small private road a bald eagle soared above my head. I had never seen one so close! Friday and Saturday was spent car shopping for DH - not fun when you HAVE to buy one. Yesterday I was out for another 10 when I got an upset stomach at mile 8. Called DH to come pick me up and called it quits at 8.25. I was going SO slow trying to keep my HR down. I think I averaged 12 m/m. Happy Monday and December!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

Roberta, good for you! Please do keep us posted. It's great hearing from you.
                          Here's to new starts and grand beginnings! I bet you will fly along and find your former fitness returning more quickly than you might expect. Please do stop by on the daily thread. grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          wildchild

Carolyn

Hi lswife! Congrats on starting your running program again. You said your DD got you started after she did the C25K - is she still running? If so, you could enlist her support to keep you motivated, and if not, you could try to get her to start again with you. My DD is currently on week 6, which is the farthest she's ever made it after about 4 or 5 starts (she keeps getting sidetracked by school stuff and illnesses). This site does provide lots of motivation for running, as well as an easy way to get sidetracked on the computer when you're supposed to be working! Post often!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

anachrotech

I'm there with ya! Getting back into the routine is difficult. Congrats on starting again.
                                It's good to hear from you lswife. Congrats on getting back into running. Keep posting and letting us know about your improvements. TomS