Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - December 2013 (Read 24 times)

Jim asked where everyone is.  I have no idea.  I was gone Thanksgiving week.  Spent time with the in-laws in Yuma which, while a good thing, is always interesting, considering the family dynamics.  Let's just say LOTS of issues that have never been, and probably will never be, addressed.  But we did enjoy the visit, of course ate too much, and it was shorts and T-shirt weather the entire time.

Drove the whole way in one day going down (about 16.5 hours), but split it into two days coming back.  We left Friday after Thanksgiving, and got a call from Shorty's sister on Saturday when we were about 3 hours from home, telling us that their mom had fallen the night before and broke her hip.  Thankfully, it's not a bad break and the surgery went well - only about 45 min.  The good part about this is she'll be living in a rehab facility for about 2 weeks, and at the facility they will make her get up and move around as much as possible and they will make her eat - two things she has not been doing much of over the past 6+ months.  So keeping fingers crossed she comes out of rehab stronger than when she went in.

I only ran one time down there 'cause my tendinitis has been flared up, but it seems to be somewhat under control now.

But enough about me.  How're y'all doin'????

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, I guess participation here HAS dropped off.  Sorry for my part in abetting the decline.  Hope everyone is mostly just too busy running to post and that the running and the rest of life in general is going as smoothly as can be these days.

I dropped by largely because I was looking at the 1000 mile club YTD and saw Leslie 5 miles in front of me.  Just curious to see if you were going to make a last minute dash to try and beat the pace bunny.  I've already blown by my former best year total by a couple of hundred miles, but I would REALLY like to break that 1000 mile barrier.  I got sidetracked by a couple of weeks of year end travel, but there is still hope.

Merry Christmas to all and a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - I hadn't paying attention, so I didn't know I was that close.  If this week goes according to plan, I'll pass the mark.  You can do it, too!!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Of course, I may have just screwed myself today.  I had a tooth extracted this afternoon that was not eager to leave, so it took over an hour to come out.  In pieces.  I've been told not to do anything strenuous for 3 days.  I may have to rethink that advice.

flatland mountaineer

Merry Christmas 40's plus group.

Still running, still fighting a cranky glute/si maybe piniforimus issue.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Merry Day After Christmas, Friends ~

Stumpy and R2 - Sending you "health" vibes ~ ~ ~

We got to leave work at noon on the 24th, so I put in my 6 miles when I got home, then my dad came up, and he, Shorty, and I went to the candlelight service at church.  It's been a long time since my dad has been to church, and I don't think he's ever been to a candlelight service.  He seemed to enjoy himself, and I hope it gets him moving a little closer to finding a church to attend.  I keep gently bugging him about it.

He also gave me my mom's Bible, which he gave to her on July 14, 1970, for their 14th wedding anniversary.  It's filled with her handwritten notes and notes re verses that meant a lot to her, most of them about strength, which completely makes sense given the terrible health issues she faced for so many years.  I was very touched that he would give it to me.

The funny part, however, is that I start thumbing through it and it falls open to where my dad has stuffed his VISA card, which expires Sept 2014.  "Dad, think you might want this?"  "Oh.  How'd that get in there?  Well, if you find a hundred dollars, I'll take that back, too."  So I flip one time, and plop!  It opens to . . . . $1,100 in $100 bills!!  "Hey, Dad.  Do you want this back, as well??"  "What?  When did I put that in there?!?"    I tried to keep $1,000.00 'cause he said if I found a hundred dollars, not eleven hundred dollars, but he wasn't buying it.   Dad, Dad, Dad . . . . . 

As far as food - ugh! I made fried taters, biscuits and gravy, and eggs for the first time in probably 2 or 3 years, and Shorty made a 50-lb lasagna for dinner.  Okay, maybe it wasn't 50 lbs., but it was BIG and HEAVY and very, very yummy, ensuring I'll be on pasta overload for the next few days.  (We did try to redeem ourselves by having a big salad with dinner . . . )

It was 5 miles this a.m. in the predawn hours.  Pretty dang chilly, too, but a beautiful clear, dark sky chock full of stars.  Very enjoyable ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

HI all! Long time, no see. I took a break from running after a long year of racing and picking up a runner's-up trophy for the series, woot. I had not had a break (other than enforced breaks due to injury) in several years, so it was time. Got back out there today and was surprised that it was not torture. Other than that, it's also Christmas break from school so all-in-all there's been some nice downtime and some nice family time. My mom is getting really weak now, all of the sudden, so I think that's going to keep me increasingly busy. She has "graduated" to a walker, although I think part of that is that she can't see, however she's getting cataract surgery in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed that seeing will help her with her walking.

Leslie - best wishes to Stumpy's mom on a fast recovery. Nice to hear that you've had some family time, especially with your dad. You shouldn't sweat the holiday overeating thing, think of all your poor non-running friends who won't burn it off so easily!

Stumpy - congrats on your biggest year ever. Be cautious about that tooth, - but if the bleeding goes down nicely I think you can do a little easy running. I had one come out like that and they gave me horrible pain pills that didn't do anything but make me dopey and constipated 

R2 - One thing my PT had me do for the glute/piriformis/?? thing was low-back stretching (cat/cow stretch and cobra pose). I know you already do pigeon. Anyway, hope it resolves.

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess it's happy New Year now.

Leslie--guess the old folks like to have a little cash squirreled away.  when we were taking down my Mom's bed after she passed, we found $600 and some of her important jewelry that we hadn't been able to find, between mattress and box spring.  that sounds like my kind of breakfast.  And DW makes a  wonderful variation on the 50 lb lasagna.  One that the son of her BFF said was better than his mom's.  Even more painful, since they're Italian and we're not.

Stumpy - congrats on your biggest year ever. Be cautious about that tooth, - but if the bleeding goes down nicely I think you can do a little easy running. I had one come out like that and they gave me horrible pain pills that didn't do anything but make me dopey and constipated 

Arla--congrats on a season podium.  That's a big accomplishment and testament to persistence (as well as fast running).  sounds like a well deserved rest.  I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need the Tylenol with codeine after all the poking, prodding, and digging that went on--a day of double Advil was all I really needed.  Now I have some good backup drugs if I'm really hurting.   the runs also did nothing to change that, so happy I didn't wait the full three days.

Jim--Hope you can get all the parts to play nicely with each other again.  do you at least have a lot less sitting in tractors/machinery this time of year?

Congrats on such a successful year, Arla!!  The rest is well-deserved. 

Stumpy - I realized I hadn't downloaded any of my runs since before Thanksgiving, so I'm over 1000 miles.  Yea!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Way to go, Leslie! WOOT!

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Congrats Leslie on outrunning that pace bunny for 1000! LOL on your dad and his cash stashes, sounds like my mom....grew up in the depression had to have a little stash.

Arla welcome back and and congrats on runner-up in your local series, glad you checked in! ps yes I think the eye surgery will help with your mom, sure did with dad, really helps mobility if they can see where they are going IMHO.....

Stumpy hope you can slide by that bunny yourself for a grand!

Yes much less seat time now, although the seats we have in the big stuff are awesome incredible tech, but think that is when this all started along with stress. Now either office chair or concrete shop floor but the schedule is much more relaxed this time of year. :-)

Soooo last year at marketing conference in Palm Springs we picked up a little TENS unit at the big expo for the cycling event from a nice young lady. I call it my portable electroshock therapy machine but it is pretty similar to the little pulsing machines the pt's use. Anyway when my left SI locked up the other nite I hooked it up to both SI's and ran through a couple cycles, WOW extreme relief, did my pt a few times this week, thinking it is similar to Yoga Poses Arla was talking about and getting some relief.

My PT in Lincoln NE wants an eye exam before I see her and her boss, so finally worked in an appointment with one of the senior optometrists out here in the sticks, no easy feat!!!!! Anyway the pt company (HRUSKA) in Lincoln works on the Huskers, they had an all American I think by the name of Hanna Werth (google it for an interesting read) that had an Ice Skating accident in her youth, anyway these folks figured out how to make her whole again. They are thinking my ATV wreck in 2003 is responsible for a lot of my problems.

MTA Hanna Werth story if anyone is interested.  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?id=5861274

Then tonight on my Facebook pops up a link for a new half in the Sandhills (at Arthur Nebraska) an hour away from home starting near the ranches of 2 old friends so now maybe I have a goal.

Hiyas to all the 40's plus folks and lurkers and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jim

Dessa Lou impatiently waiting for me to get it all together to go run on a really cold morning. O-Kay she is a sweetie! :-)

Photo: Ready to run in the cold a few weeks ago. She doesn't understand why it takes so long for me to get ready on cold days, Ya just go run Jim!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jim--I did make it.  5 miles on New year's eve morning gave me 1001 miles for the year.  Perspective is a funny thing.  We went to a new Year's day party at some friends who happen to be runners ((faster, but less serious, if that makes sense) who were highly impressed with the total.  Even though it's 200+ more than I've ever done, I'm looking at it as only half of what a lot of folks around here do.  That's the penalty I pay for hanging around with a bunch of overachievers.

Glad the electroshock seems to help.  At times, I'm thinking I might need to hook one of those up to my ears.  And getting PTs that work on any major college football team to work on you can't be a bad thing.

flatland mountaineer

Congrats on your run to 1K miles! Great to have a supportive peer group, not much for groups around here.

Oh the TENS device, I don't use it much and on low power when I get back spasms it seems to be able to stop them, just feels like a deep massage. Jury is still out on them in the medical world and they do bear some risk for those with cardiac rhythm problems. I seem to remember you had some Afib problems so avoid at all costs for you. Just thought I better bring that up as I had forgotten.....

Jim

flatland mountaineer

I am probably going to see these folks, but thought Arla might find it interesting as to how vision affects movement in regards to her mom's cataracts. http://www.privisioncenter.com/about/

I have been doing my pt more regularly now and slowly getting better, scheduled in with my pt with an optional appointment with the PRI vision folks pending my eye exam results. Lynda and I are thinking about doing a little half ending in a Sandhills cowtown just north of us an hour. Starts near one of my old friend's ranch. Worst part is it is just before planting but I think we can make it work.

Queen of 3rd Place

Happy new year everyone! OK, a little belated...

r2 - best wishes on the pt, I know you'll see great results. I love those electro-stim machines. Yeah, science doesn't know why it works (there are theories), but keep in mind that people are still studying why aspirin works and that's gotta be one of the oldest drugs out there.

Dessa Lou - what a great doggie! How does she handle the cold so well? Does she wear booties?

CONGRATS Stumpy! Way to bring it in. Considering how much you're on the road, that's some pretty amazing mileage. Keep it up!

Where's Leslie?

Mom's eye surgery went well (went from 20/100 WITH glasses to 20/50 WITHOUT glasses!), but she's been sitting around so much that she's very weak. Pretty much can get to the bathroom (with a walker) and that's it. So we're off to her doc tonight to see if we can get her an Rx for a PT eval and start her on an exercise program. Then she gets a new eyeglass Rx and hopefully we can get her some more quality years.

Meanwhile, joined a coached running group and have started doing some workouts, 800m repeats yesterday, hill workout tomorrow, Pilates two nights a week...all that should help with the 9 lbs of holiday flab that I'd like to lose. 

Ex runner