Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.2.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I don't have much time to post this morning. I've got about 30 emails from Friday and over the weekend that I have to respond to, and so I'm way behind even before I get the day started. I don't know about you folks, but I try to ignore work and activity-related emails over the weekend because A) it is my (and DH's) time and, B) I don't want people to expect that I am online 24/7 and will respond to them whenever they write. Sometimes, people just have to be patient. Of course, then Monday morning comes, and I have to play catch-up, but it is still worth it to have the down time over the weekend. I know; I'm old-school.

I spent most of yesterday spreading mulch and I was exhausted and achy by the time I was done. Since I also had a relatively long (for me) workout yesterday morning, I'm glad that today is my weekly SRD.

Have a greta Monday and start to your week!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Yes, eggzackerly, Jay, as to the emails from work at home.

Unasked for comment:  we see a fair amount of lightening strikes in Florida.  Not long ago, a sweet little guy (I think he was about 12) was hit while on the football field at a practice.  He died.  I know how disappointing it is to have a marathon cancelled (never happened to me, but I've been in some that were shortened due to weather, and missed one due to plane issues) but I have every sympathy for the RD trying to put runner safety first.  I think Minnesota also has a high incidence rate of lightening strikes (I lived there for a few years).

Wow, that's a lot of potato salad, Nancy.   You are always amazing with all you do.  There's you, Holly, Jay......who else, floks?

Traffic is amazingly light these days.  The snowbirds have gone home to roost for the summer and school is over for the same.  Both running and driving just got way easier .    Running did get hotter, with temps now more likely to be in the 70s when I start out in the am.  Still, there was a pleasant breeze this am so I managed 8.5 at an under 9:00 pace, and the first one was 9:56 (I'm sort of creaky when I get started, I think I've mentioned that.)

Found a hot cereal that 's a mix of:  steel cut oats, millet, quinoa and amaranth.  I add almonds.   It's really good.  Of course, I am really hungry in the morning so take my review in context!

Carolyn, if Vermont is still open, maybe you can hatch some plans with Holly......have fun.  And pictures, please!

Still smiling over Mike's RR from Buffalo.

Jlynne, how are you and Jan doing?

Take care, everyone, and enjoy today.  Even if it is Monday; it's what we've got .

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

Morning Jay and Amy and all to follow.

Mulch is always fun until it wears you out. I did some of ours on Saturday.

Enjoy the light traffic Amy

My left ankle is giving me a fit again (old soccer stuff) so I did a short run this morning. Took two miles to loosen and was ok on third. We'll see if it gets better for my evening double.

We had a BBQ with family last night (11 of us here locally) which was fun and as the afternoon progressed it turned into an improtu neighborhood pool party with at least five different families stopping to swim and chat. I really like that about our neighborhood. At one point there were kids from 16 to 2 having a great time together bouncing on the trampoline or paddling in the water. A great finish to a nice weekend and a push into this workweek.

Have a great day all.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Resting my sore hamstring today.  Tomorrow I will rest it too.  Weird that it got so sore on a such a short easy run.  I've never had a hamstring hurt before so it is a new experience.

Annabelle picked out her new room's paint color.  They have the month of June to get moved:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5551/14307323926_c1c7690853.jpg

King of PhotoShop

Seven in a row and counting, huh Aamos?

Jay is right about the emails. I do a lot on weekends though, thinking I'm getting a head start on the week.

Big deal for me today.  5 miles, including a 3 mile run in the middle, my longest distance and longest continuous run.  Tomorrow I am cleared to start core work, so I am very excited at the progress.

I don't always put up my Dallas Morning News link if it's all about local stuff here, but this one is about the growth in women's running and has a good story if you're interested:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/so-you-got-chicked-you-got-more-coming.html/

Of course you can retire to Minnesota where...1. You only have three spices: salt, pepper, and ketchup ..  2. Halloween costumes have to fit over parkas. 3. You have seventeen recipes for casserole.  4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.  5. The four seasons are: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road repair.  6. The highest level of criticism is "He is different, she is different or It was different!

Spareribs

Took today off to give my left leg some additional rest.  Mike E I so wish I had your physiology!  But in this case I think the proximate cause of my problem was a fall a few weeks ago.  I felt my left leg go in spots when it happened and I should have taken a week off right then and there.  So I am paying for it now.  As to the love rain thing, I can see your point.

coastwalker if I ignored business over the weekend that would just leave me with 7 days of work to do in 5!

Spareribs I have been going back over your various city posts.  When do you do one in Connecticut?  Or is the state so off everybody's radar that nobody knows what kind of cracks to make up about it!

Tramps congratulation on your first double digit run.  That always feels like a milestone of sorts!  (Yes, I do think I am funny! )

Holly S. what happens after day 30?  I am sure you will have a great dinner today!

enkephalin there is a pretty good web site called The Injured Runner you might want to see if it helps you isolate the problem and then what to do about it.  My best wishes on getting them to recover.

AamosY I ran Grandma's a couple of years ago.  It is a really nice course.  That year we got super lucky.  The week after the marathon a huge storm hit and the whole town was flooded out.

pfriese wow when you put up the numbers like that!  Crazy man, crazy!  But crazy in a good way, crazy.

stumpy77 good for you!

Marposai making 40 pounds of potato salad reminds me of when I worked in a student co-op's kitchen as an undergraduate.  I bet it was the best dish of the evening!

tomwhite I read the whole Indiana thing.  Very funny!  But, really, if the point is top notch pork barbecue give me South Carolina pulled pork with a vinegar based sauce!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

Yes, Ribs, 7 in a row.

Beautiful hot day here- we brought it back from Ohio with us. No running while there-difficult to find a decent running area in exurbia where my DD lives although we did see a few runners and even stopped at a local running store. BTW my DD is recovering nicely from her stroke.

Marj drove up to NH today to have a Grand(parents) lunch at the grandkids' school. I ran 6.2 miles in my new NB 880shoes-felt good. If I have energy in another hour I'll cycle to the Y for yoga.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And I was lucky enough to be there .  Gorgeous day to be at Fenway, a well played game, and TWO rookies getting their first ML hits.  I bought DW a lobster roll for her anniversary meal.  And a Guinness for mine.  JUST a little different than a hot dog and a bud light in the olden days.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I really miss you guys!!!  I can't even attempt to catch up but will just pick up and keep going!!

Today is Magnificent Monday in my eyes -- I have been consumed with preparing for a retreat through church and being the director this time had me carrying a little extra of the decision making.  We had an absolutely amazing weekend at a retreat center in Medway, MA called Betania 2 and I am still flying from it.  Do not want to come down from that mountain yet!!

Managed to get in a couple of early morning runs -- still not Jay early tho!!  Ran around a walking rosary at the Fatima Shrine and saw a doe pass by me Friday morning.  Saturday morning around 5:15 am I ran by a field full of cows -- but Sunday morning closer to 9 they were all gone -- do they go find shade somewhere??

Mike - your running report is the first thing I read here today and it is awe inspiring --- you really convey the true meaning of running to me and I'm sure to many others!!  Thank you!!

Make it a beautiful day my friends and I hope to get back on track with some regular posting!! 

denise

I, as usual, am way behind here, but a big YEA! for Ribs and he continues to improve.

Other cars vs. the Outback.  I recently talked to my mechanic, and he was touting the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Tucson as comparable in quality to the Outback . . .and, of course, the Forester.

Why am I not surprised Holly forgot she has a 50k coming up???

Saturday, I worked with The Hub at three jobs, so essentially was weed wacking, hand mowing, or using the riding lawn mower for about 8 hours.  My biceps are still sore, but I'm thinking it's mostly from wrangling the riding mower.  No power steering.  Every time I work with him, I have a renewed appreciation for how hard he works every day.  My allergies are a mess now, though, which helps me understand why his are SO bad all the time.

I told Coach I was gonna run 10 yesterday, but I just didn't feel like it.  Ran 5 and felt great, and ended the week with an even 40 miles.

This a.m. - 45 min of core/strength training.

And not to be outdone by Ribs:

You Know You Live in Humboldt County When:

1.  The women have more armpit and leg hair than most of the men

2.  You say you need to go home and trim the grass and 10 people whip out their hand pruners and tell you they’re available for hire.

3.  People talk about how organic is the ONLY way they will eat ANYTHING because everything else is absolutely toxic to the body, then proceed to roll their own cigarettes sans filters.

4.  As you’re running, you get a “contact high” from the vehicle that just passed you.

Have a great week, peeps ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn, if Vermont is still open, maybe you can hatch some plans with Holly......have fun.  And pictures, please!

As a matter of fact, Carolyn, Mike and I spent the weekend working out the details of a cottage rental for the occasion.  Anyone else need a place to crash for the VT50?

Ribs and Leslie - you had me laughing out loud at my desk.

Jay - some weekends I am with you on that, other weekends I am like Ribs.

Twocat - I don't even know if I can make it to Day 15.  Crunches are one thing, but those are FULL SITUPS - those are hard!  And time consuming.  But it's worth a try.

4 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 72 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

As a matter of fact, Carolyn, Mike and I spent the weekend working out the details of a cottage rental for the occasion.  Anyone else need a place to crash for the VT50?

If it weren't for that 50 mile thing, this is shaping up to be a pretty good weekend...

If it weren't for that 50 mile thing, this is shaping up to be a pretty good weekend...

Do we have a thread going for which distances people are doing or if there is a relay team?

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

A relay team would be awesome!  No, there is no thread started for that...yet.

pfriese, you've done an impressive amount of running and racing in your 10 years running.  Dave, it's always nice to get an Annabelle picture.  ribs, I'm glad to hear of your progress.

Nice long runs for Jay, tramps, Aamos, fpries, and mari.

This morning, it was in the high 60s, there was a light wind, and noticeable humidity.  I did 8 miles at an 11:23 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS