Masters Running

obsessing over Boston. ...over here, Robin! (Read 55 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

High in Hopkinton this am: 25 . 

How many days until?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

One of the most interesting changes this year will not be about weather. It will be how to take stuff to Hopkinton, what to wear and how to discard clothing before the start, given the new rules about no bag drop.  I'd like to see a discussion on what runners are planning to do about this. Let's play a game and assume it's going to be an overcast, chilly day.  How will you manage this?  Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Salvation Army procured sweat shirt and sweat pants, worn over running togs.  Strip down in the corral and flung to the side of the road before we pass the start mat.  Easy-peasy.

spi-belt around waist with hotel key, and gu.

Runners run

I am fortunate to be on a private bus with my running company so we will be allowed to have items on the bus and keep them on the bus.   We won't be able to take anything off the bus and into Athlete's Village, but our bus stays there until we head to the start.

denise

I am in the same situation as Denise and will come in on a club bus. If not, I'd do what Ilene said---no need to bring much anyway.

As for weather, I won't check in earnest until day b4

New skirt in town

I actually rarely used the bag drop for much of anything anyway, much preferring to overdress in warm, cheapo clothes and discard them at the start.  This won't change.  A fanny pack will offer plenty room to stash the things that I do need to take with me, and most of that I plan on discarding anyway.  I'll travel light!  I'm assuming that the pre-race provisions (foodstuff and Gatorade and sunscreen, etc,) will be plentiful at the Athlete's Village, so we will have to make more use of that than previously, when I often brought my own food and hydration and sunscreen before the start.  I love the idea of being able to exit the post-race area easily, without having to wait for bags...and when I think about it, I really didn't need that luxury much anyway!

As for weather, who the heck knows.  I'm a little downtrodden by this year's seemingly endless winter.   Every day, I check the 10 day weather forecast, hoping for some respite, and it just all seems the same monotonous report.  But, spring may emerge suddenly, and I cannot wait.  I guess I'd rather run in 30F than 90F!!  At least it will be what I'm used to...

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

#artbydmcbride

Oh, and Spareribs, just in case a cold wind may come back up, be sure to take an extra jacket and tie it around your waist for later!    You can tie the sleeves together in the front and tuck the ends in. 

Runners run

mrrun

i read you're going to get a warm cape.  The one I got in NYC in November was great and kept me warm until I met Henry 2 miles later.

i did the throw away clothes and it worked fine

coastwalker

I'm waiting for news about what the volunteers will/won't be allowed to bring in. I have a feeling that it'll be the same as everyone else. So, weather-depending, I'll have to layer up and, like Spareribs, just start tying stuff around my waist as it warms up. So it goes.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

I'm waiting for news about what the volunteers will/won't be allowed to bring in. I have a feeling that it'll be the same as everyone else. So, weather-depending, I'll have to layer up and, like Spareribs, just start tying stuff around my waist as it warms up. So it goes.

Jay

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

I may have mentioned this last year, but the last couple of Bostons I did I got fixed up with this family who owns a big frame house right at the start, and I mean a couple of hundred yards away.  So we change there, eat, drink, use the facilities, watch the start on TV, all that stuff. What a deal!

As for me, I'm pretty old school like most of you here have posted. It would never occur to me to bring a phone, music and all that stuff.  If cold day, dress warm with throwaways and Bob's your uncle. Spareribs

SubDood

First time at Boston for me, and I've been obsessing about a lot of things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, of course.

But one thing I can't figure out: why is it so hard to find Gatorade Endurance Formula Lemon Lime? It's what they'll be providing along the course, so I'd like to get used to it in training.  (The last time I drank Gatorade during a race, I got stomach cramps.)

I don't mind obsessing over things like pacing strategy, or carbo loading, or tapering. But I'm going nuts about why I can't find this stuff!!  Even the Gatorade Online Store says, "Product Currently Unavailable."

New skirt in town

I honestly found that the stuff tasted no different and acted no different than regular Gatorade that you find in the store. And when you open up the nutrition information on the pepsicobeveragefacts.com web site, the link to the Gatorade Endurance Formulas opens up to regular old Gatorade Lemon-Lime.

So, I think that the Endurance Formula is just the regular old-school Gatorade, renamed to emphasize its benefits for endurance activities.  As opposed to Gatorade Recover (higher protein, higher calories) or Thirst Quencher (lower calorie, lower carb) versions.

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

SubDood

Thanks, RT! I'll use the regular Gatorade for training; one less thing to obsess about.

Back to worrying about my training ...

Sayhey! MM#130

What y'all said about throw aways, plus Race Ready Shorts (with the built-in pockets.)

Do you think we can bring along a newspaper, read it on the bus and then use it to sit on at the field in Hopkinton?

HAs anyone been experimenting by running in LL Bean duck boots in the event the weather never changes?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)