Masters Running

Frozen Tuesday 1/7 Daily (Read 36 times)

How is it that I am starting the daily after 10am EST?  Well, here it is.  This morning when I got up it was 8° out!  I thought what would evanflein do?  I laughed and went down to the gym.  But, tragically, I decided to hit the elliptical instead of run so that I can run outside tomorrow.

P.S. If you see a statue on the side of the road that looks like either coastwalker or Mike E please bring them inside to see if they thaw into people.  Thank you for your help.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I moved to Michigan in August of 2001.  I have a wireless thermometer that shows me the temperature out on the back patio.  The thermometer stores the lowest and highest temperatures (which I write down when I need to change batteries or get a new component.)  This morning's -13.4° which was recorded at 8:00am surpasses the previous low of -11.9° set back on 1/27/03.

I grew up in Buffalo so I have no doubt experienced colder temps than this, but it is a Michigan record for me.

Up to -0.3° at the moment.

I went to the gym.  Warm-up on the TM and then some weights.  I also had to shovel the end of the driveway where the plows left me a mountain of snow.  For some reason, it looks like 3 vehicles pulled in my driveway (over the mountain) and then back out.  That packed the snow down and made shoveling a lot harder than necessary.

evanflein

Well, Twocat, I got up and it's -2 in town, and about 14 or so here. I'm going to try another outdoor run from work today, probably early afternoon, because it's going to get colder as the week progresses. I want to be outside as much as possible before more days on the treadmill.

Dave, those are cool thermometers. It records the date, too? It is pretty amazing how much this cold wave is making the news. You'd think it'd never gotten below zero before. 

Henrun

Same temps here. I grew up in Toronto- and started running when I moved to New England.

My R knee buckled on me during a short run yesterday, so I layered up and went for a 1+ mile walk this morning. This afternoon will go to the gym and try the elliptical.

We have to adapt to whatever the weather is. When I lived in central California I ran Jay's time for half the year to avoid the desert heat.

TammyinGP

We've warmed up a bit here in So. Oregon. We got some rain last night so it felt mild this morning in the upper 30's. Should be upper 40's by the end of the week. We need rain so badly - we've had a very dry winter. Even Mt. Ashland hasn't opened for skiing.

wow, lots of folks coming to the Ave! Can't wait!  There will still be some room at our reserved cottages if anyone else is tempted. I'm not sure how much room and there might not be an actual bed, but surely we can accommodate some rollaways, or air mattresses if need be. I'll probably just bring my air mattress anyways. it's pretty comfy.

My torn calf seems to be on the mend now. Still about another week out from resuming running and I'll be back to square one again, by just starting out with 10 min of running and gradually increasing. Doc says it'll probably be a total of 4 wks to fully heal, but can resume some gentle running soon. The calf feels much better today after my ultrasound/laser therapy yesterday. Going for more today and again on Thursday.

my brother, who flew out from Mpls for Christmas/New Years, had a connection thru Denver on Sunday. United couldn't get him out, cancelled all kinds of flights, and they have him rebooked on an already overbooked flight on Thursday, which he may or may not get on. After he got over being absolutely livid at United, he's just making the best of it. Fortunately, he has a friend in the Denver area that got him on Monday and my dad has a friend also that will let him stay with him until he can get out. Somehow his luggage made it to Mpls, yet my brother didn't. I guess this is why you always have a carry-on with a change of clothes, if needed.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

P.S. If you see a statue on the side of the road that looks like either coastwalker or Mike E please bring them inside to see if they thaw into people.  Thank you for your help.

Tammy - I was watching the news about the many travelers stuck at airports.  It must be very frustrating, although I think it's better to be safe than fly in dangerous conditions.

It was (-10) this morning when I got up, which beat the previous record for this date, set in 1924, and the coldest winter temperature here since 1994.  The worst part of it being this cold is that the deceivingly light layer of snow on the roads is still treacherously slippery.  My work commute went from 35-40 minutes to an hour each way.  Practically everything in the county is closed (except for my office of course.)  And my office is always freezing - it was definitely tough to leave my warm, snug house this morning....

And Erika deals with this stuff all winter.....

6 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Can you handle yet ANOTHER story about the cold weather? I went to the Y at 5:00 AM this morning. The temp on my car thermometer when I got there was -16°. When I got inside, I realized that I had left my water bottle in the holder of my car. Deciding that drinking out of the water fountain was a much better idea than running back out to my car was a really good idea, I did 5 miles on the elliptical and then 30 minutes of weights and core. Stopped to talk to the ladies on the way out. All told, I was probably in there just over an hour and a half. When I got out to my car to drive home, that bottle was almost frozen solid.

And I was right yesterday. No school = a YMCA full of kids. Really? Parents can find the time to drop their kids at the Y for the afternoon but can't get them to school?

Does anyone know how to install screws on the bottom of running shoes? My Yax hit the dust and we're supposed to have a heat wave this weekend.

Good news on the calf muscle Tammy. Sorry about your brother's travel mess.

Hope Jay and Mike aren't stuck in snow banks!

Dave59

Does anyone know how to install screws on the bottom of running shoes? My Yax hit the dust and we're supposed to have a heat wave this weekend.

I cheated and bout ice spikes (http://www.icespike.com/index.html).  It came with the screws, a tool to use to put them on your shoes, and a suggested pattern.  They have worked great for me.  I plan on taking one of the extra screws to a hardware store and finding something that is similar so I can set-up another pair.

Mariposai

So, a miracle happened, twocat's dream of starting the daily became a reality. See, you did not even need to move out of the continent to do it. I like that race photo you posted yesterday.

Henrun, just out of curiosity, for how long have you been running?

Enjoy your lunch hour run, Erika.

I am sorry to even mention how warm it is here right now. 31F and a dust of snow just started coming down....hurrayyyy!!! Maybe some skiing this weekend will be in my destiny.

No running yet, which was planned since I did work extra hard last night during our Winter Wellness program. Tonight I have some 800m fun workout awaiting me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

There's sure a lot of cold weather around.  This morning, my temperature was -14° with a wind chill of -34°.  I did 4 miles on the TM at 11:06/mile.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

This morning was -1F on the thermometer but the wind was sort of gale force so decided sleep was better option.  At lunch temps were 6F with wind chill felt like -8F.  A big difference from yesterday when it was >50F at 4:30AM with fog, warm breezes, and melting snow.  Warm enough that I left shirt at home for the run.  Today not sure how many layers

So dreadmill is on the menu tonight...

Later folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Big grin

...I love It........

supposedly

One of our Towns (Crossville) was 2-degrees colder than Anarctica  this morning!!!!!!!!!!

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Henrun, just out of curiosity, for how long have you been running?

40 years this past fall.

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm okay...but has anybody seen Jay?  I'm a little worried...

No run, today...so DW made me take her out.  I did manage to sneak downstairs to do some quick pushups and crunches...and to check in here.  I'd better go, though, before she notices I'm gone...

But, Jlynne--I made some screw shoes by screwing some sheet metal screws into the bottom of my shoes.  I found a pattern online.  I haven't actually tried them yet, though, because I'm afraid how they will be when I come across a non-snowy patch of road...and I'm afraid a screw might come out and a car will run over it.  But Dave likes them...so I might try them out soon.

Okay--I really have to go...I'm sure DW is starting to notice...and I'm sure she's missing me...although...I've been gone for awhile...maybe she doesn't miss me as much as I think she should...yeah...I'd better go...

Maniac 505

I'm hoping Alaska gets there weather back soon and everyone else can get back to something sort of normal.

just 3 drizzly miles this afternoon,  I tried to take it easy today since I go to work in about an hour.  This week I will be breaking in on a new for me class of boat.