Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 3.5.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I had the unique pleasure of a totally unsatisfying workout this morning: 4.1 RW miles at the usual time. Nothing felt right; I wasn't dressed right; there was too much skim ice on the roads; no matter what I tried, I couldn't find a pace that felt good. So I donned my paper bag and got it done. I know many of us have had workouts like this from time to time. We hope that we'll settle into a good rhythm after a mile or two, and that often happens. But when it doesn't, I suppose the thing to do is to chalk it up to a less-than-stellar day, and look forward to the next workout. And so I shall.

Keep smiling and have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It's 4.1 you wouldn't have had, so good for you.

Now to cram a week's worth of work into 2 days so I can go away for three more days next week.  Joy, joy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

It is unusual for us to get snow in TX. Usually we get about one or two "dustings" a year. Last night we had freezing rain and after that solidified, we got 4-5" of snow on top of it. Of course all the schools are closed and because we aren't equipped with lots of plows, sand and salt, it will be a couple of days before we're all mobile again. This is nothing to me as a NY'er for so long and nothing compared to what the NE'erners went through this winter, but down here it's a big deal. They cancel the Today Show for example, so people can be glued to their TV sets and watch footage of cars sliding around on the highways.

No run so far, but maybe I'll run from the house later.  Lots of conference calls today and finish up that PowerPoint.  I hate PowerPoint.  Spareribs

Dave59

Another morning below zero so I went to the gym, ran a mile on the tm to warm-up and then some weight stuff.

This is the day I have been dreading for the past 3 years.  The cats are due for shots.  During the morning I will gradually close off all escape routes, and then when the time comes, I will have to catch them, cage them, and then listen to their crazy howling on the trip over and back to the vet.  I wish vets made house calls.

King of PhotoShop

After dinner almost every night we watch Jeopardy that the Saint DVR'd.  It's getting harder to beat Hudson any more as he is in school and kills us on history, geography, languages and literature.  Last night we watched a show that had as the Final Jeopardy answer:  It is the only state capital that can be typed using just one row on a standard keyboard.  Got him on that one.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

After dinner almost every night we watch Jeopardy that the Saint DVR'd.  It's getting harder to beat Hudson any more as he is in school and kills us on history, geography, languages and literature.  Last night we watched a show that had as the Final Jeopardy answer:  It is the only state capital that can be typed using just one row on a standard keyboard.  Got him on that one.  Spareribs

same here. i'm the only one that knew that answer. ( but it was the only state, not state capitol) guess that means i spend more time typing on a keyboard than anyone else. . .

Tammy

We don't get Jeopardy anymore.   And I'm looking at my keyboard trying to figure out the state capital . . .

Dave -   Thankfully, all but two of our cats just bury themselves under the blanket and hunker down for the inevitable.  But like you, we have to close off all possible escape routes, open the carrier very carefully in the garage, then sneak back in the house.  Woe is you if you happen to bang it against the door when you come in or the door squeaks or something.  Ziggy is the worst.  I swear, he can hear that carrier coming from a mile away.  To get him in, we have to set it up on its end, and then in one quick move, gather all the legs together and shove him in.  Otherwise, all four legs splay out, he throws it into reverse, and the battle is on.

Jay - You got it done, no matter how unsatisfactory it might've been.  Good for you!

Mike - Why are you pushing it with your heel if it hurts that bad?  You end up doing major damage - what then?

Tet - Beautiful picture yesterday.

Holly - Good luck with the oral surgery.  Ugh!  They better give you excellent drugs.

Carolyn - My 50th?  Who knows.  Maybe just throw myself a big ole party.

8 miles this a.m. on legs that felt pretty good until about Mile 4 or so when yesterday's bike and ST workout caught up with me.  And it was cold this morning.  I was happy I made the call to go back inside and change into my winter running tights.  As the sun started to rise, it just kept getting colder, and by the time I got home, my thin throw away gloves weren't doing anything to keep my hands warm.  It was interesting trying to get damp clothes off with thumbs that didn't want to cooperate.

Another paralegal and I are trying to guess the middle name of a young associate here.  He refuses to tell us what it is because, according to him, it's really bad.  But he's given us until the end of the day to try and come up with it, and if we get it right, he's willing to confirm.  The paralegal, Nancy, has known Jeff since he was a kid, so we're considering calling his parents to find out.

Have a great day, folks ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - the Today Show gets cancelled here as well on snowy mornings so the weather people can tell us repeatedly about how dangerous the conditions are.  I hate when I miss my "Your World in 90 Seconds."

Dave - I take my 3 pets at the same time as well, but only the cat goes in a carrier.  The dogs see the leash and are happy to follow me anywhere, even there is a shot at the end of it.

Leslie - are you thinking of a 50K meet up race next year?  I'm still trying to find one for this fall for me.

I had an early morning meeting, so only 3 miles on the TM for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...hi guys//.............another IceStorm here.....

this will be my 4-TH TIME of working all day by myself in the last 14 days,

since

my help can't get into town

..........my Leg is Fried///////

===========

(which sounds like a Menu Option at Hardy's)

..........50's this weekend, so poolrun and bikeride this weekend

..................good running to those who can...........the rest of you Think Warm Thoughts

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

How about...they are the states that Mike E types with only two fingers...answer: all of them...

Leslie--I have had Achilles Tendon issues for over 20 years.  I have taken months off only to come back and be hurting just as bad after the very first run.  I have been to several doctors/orthopedic surgeons/physical therapists over the years and they all tell me that I am in no danger of rupturing the tendon.  I think I need to go back and have another prolotherapy.  But, that takes time to recover from...and I don't have the time.  Also...I don't have the money, right now.  So...I'll just suck it up and shut up about it.

Holly, good luck with the oral surgery.  Jay, sorry to hear about the paper bag RW workout. One of the cats we lost a few months back was awful to get in a carrier and to the vet.  A few times we sedated the cat so we could get it in the carrier and the vet could work with it.  We gave that up when my wife got bitten trying to give it the sedative pill.  After that, we would grab the cat with a towel and shove it in the carrier.  At the vets, they would give it a knockout shot while it was still in the carrier so they could do whatever needed to be done.  Mike, nice long run.

This morning, it was below zero so I did 3 miles on the TM at a 10:50 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

Holly - good luck with the surgery.

Jay - same weather here except i went out in the light when I could see and light snow.  Tried to run on the sidewalk, but it was too dangerous because of the ice, so ran on the roads which were ok (except for dodging the occasional car)

then off to our 10 am class where we had schnapps and hamentashen and singing to celebrate purim.

enjoy the rest of the day,

marj

...fatozzig//..........goto the NISMAT trainer's taping website............EXCELLENT tape job for Achilles

HOWEVER.........go thru the Main Site

, I just locked up my computer going to ''Trainers Corner'',,,,,,,,,,,had some stupid Norton Virus Ad that wouldn't let me close it...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Oh I am so sorry everyone! I screwed it up.  It's the only STATE, not the capital!  No wonder I always lose on this show!  Spareribs

New skirt in town

Man, I just spent a good 10 minutes puzzling over the state capital!  I'll see if I have any more luck with the states...

Jay--when I have an inexplicably bad run, I almost invariably have a greta run the next time.  So, I have this strangely optimistic response every time I have a crappy run. "Yay!  My next run will be terrific!".

10 miles this morning on the treadmill before heading to the office.  5 miles at MP.

The Masters' Boston Marathon Par-tay is ready to go!  Please come one, come all: https://www.facebook.com/events/796909227024022/

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA