Masters Running

Riverbank 25K Race Report (Read 259 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

5/3rd Riverbank 25K Grand Rapids, MI May 10, 2008 – 8:00 a.m. 1st Goal: Just participating 2nd Goal: 2:45 3rd Goal: 2:40 Dreaming: 2:30 The weather could not have been more perfect! Low 40’s to start the morning and by the time we were done and sipping down that first cold beer it was in the pleasant low 60’s. We lined up right around the 10 m/m group that I was thought was pushing it for me. All my long training runs have averaged 11 to 11:30 minute miles. We started out and it took about 4 minutes to hit the start line. Our pacer was running at least 9:30 miles if not better and I said to Ashley that this is not good for me – BUT it actually felt okay. Each mile ticked off in the 9:30 range and I just could not believe it! At mile 5 I told Ashley that she could go ahead of me, and to run her own race as I know she is faster than I and I wanted her to do the best she could too. At the 6-mile water station we got separated and off she went. I hit mile 6 at 58:15 – holy cow!! Mile 7 was the first uphill, but all the lilac bushes in full bloom made that section quite enjoyable. When we crossed the bridge to run on the opposite side of the river the crowds were huge on both sides and it was such an adrenaline rush – something I’ve never experienced before. At this point my doctor passed me and I shouted out Hey Doc! He high fived me and kept going. From this point on I made sure to stop at each aid station for both water and Gatorade – so did my doctor. I cruised through them faster and would get ahead of him and then he’d pass me and so on – up until the last aid station. Mile 12 – I’m still under 2 hours – 1:59 – just barely but hey! Now I’m thinking only 3 miles to go – piece o’ cake! The day was getting warmer and people were collapsing! This was new to me too! I saw 2 people taken away by ambulance and a few others on the side of the road being tended too. That was a wake up call for me to make sure I got the fluids I needed. The last aid station at mile 14, to took some drinks and passed the doctor one last time. I still felt so strong and was simply amazed with myself and almost started crying! It has been a very emotional past few days, and the excitement of how well I was running just overtook me. Not once did I ever feel like I had to take a walk break or slow down at all. Last turn and maybe ½ mile to go – heading into downtown with the streets lined with people. I turned it on – yes I still had it in me – and crossed the finish line strong. Finish time: 2:35:25 YEEHAA!!!! My neighbor and friends were right there to cheer me through – DH had stayed home to watch over the new puppies. I have never had such a great race experience. The crowd support was amazing, the volunteers and race committee were spot on and my heart is just racing as I relive each moment. I even got to meet some fellow RA member’s from the Michigan group. Fashion Report: Pink Baseball Cap White Short Sleeve Shirt Dark Pink running skirt White/pink socks Mizuno shoes Thanks for all your support!! Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Way to go Mary! It is a lot of fun to run in one of those big events once in a while, and that race does have way more participation and crowd support than the marathon event in October. Having that many runners around you can help you pick it up a bit, and that's apparently what happened. I'm glad to see that you made your "stretch" goals and came out of it feeling so good. You've become a lot better of a runner than you realize. Now once you've done the Crim and the Detroit Marathon, you will have run the "Michigan Trifecta!" Enjoy the rest of Mothers Day (while taking care of those pups).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

HermosaBoy

Great job! Way to hit your goals!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

WooHoo! Somes days everything just clicks, and we don't know what we are capable of until someone pushes us. Sounds like you are making great improvements on your running. That beer looks nice too. Enjoy!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Great job on a good race. Did evryone meet up from RA? If so I am jealous big time. The beer at the end is the best tasting of all beer ever. No matter what kind. Big grin Glad you had a great day. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

King of PhotoShop

Wow! Halfway between dreaming and third goal is pretty darned good, but more important was your overall strength and control through the race. It's all that dance practice I bet! Very well done. I am sorry for the loss of one of the pups Mary. Should have mentioned it in the daily. Spareribs
                Great job, hopeful. You ran a strong and consistent race. Your enjoyment of the whole experience sure comes through in your reports. Congratulations on knocking down those goals. TomS
                  Now that's how you do it!!! Great job! You finished strong and nearly got your "dreaming" goal. You said you have never had such a great race experience....savor it, enjoy it, relive it whenever you can...and look forward to the next one cause I'm thinkin' you'll have another great experience again. AWESOME
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    What a great race and a super report! I am so happy for you and loved that you surprised yourself with your speed and strength and kept it going. Congratulations! Karin
                    huskydon

Great job, hopeful! You must have trained well to execute so brilliantly. Not only did you get a fantastic time, you had an awesome race experience as well. Congratulations on a wonderful race. huskydon
                      evanflein

I have never had such a great race experience.
                        Congratulations, Mary! That about says it all. You ran a great race and were smart to be observant of how others were having a hard time with the conditions; good call. Good job and you deserved that cold beer at the end!
                        SteveP

yea Mary!!!!! Bless your neighbors and friends!!!!

SteveP

Great job Mary! While you may have been surprised, it really does NOT surprise me mainly because I have been watching the miles you have been putting in. You are WELL ahead of last year's pace in regards to the number of miles that you are running. Simply said, this race is simply an indication of the running condition that you have achieved from this hard work. The adrenilin rush and crowd support simply pulled you through at a VERY NICE TIME. Congratulations and thanks for this report. I was waiting for it.
                            Vista

GreenMan

Impressive performance, Mary. And excellent report. jjj
                              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              Dave59

Great race!
                                Mile 12 – I’m still under 2 hours – 1:59 – just barely but hey! Now I’m thinking only 3 miles to go – piece o’ cake!
                                Smile (Good line)