Masters Running

12-23-15--The Night before the Night before Christmas (Read 38 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think Jay's off galavanting, so I'll try to sneak in.

3.8 miles around the lake, with the middle 2 miles at what I'm calling tempo pace.  Actually 8:50, which I would be very happy with for a 10K at the moment.  Still mid 40s, so still shorts.  Can't believe that it will be in the high 60's for Christmas Eve.

DD has arrived in New Orleans on her cross country trek.  Apparently, they got welcomed in with a heavy thunder and lightning storm.  Hope the weather clears a bit as they head off across Texas and on to Cali.

Enjoy your last minute shopping.  I think I might actually be done--just need a few stocking goodies and some wrapping.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

40 mins on the spin trainer this morning due to rain. Under a severe weather warning for this afternoon. Possible tornado's ?????

Thanks to the warm weather we've avoided measuring our snowfall in feet and stuck to measuring the rain in inches.

Morning friends!!

8.2 miles for me with .25 mile pickups x 8 after a 1 mile warmup - feels good to push the pace again. Dedicated my run to everyone having a tough time this week and dealing with the loss of loved ones --- it's been a rough week and I have too many friends with sorrow. Will surround them all with love and strength.

Looking forward to my CHristmas Eve morning run with friends tomorrow - IN SHORTS!!!!

denise

mrrun

Ran 3+ in shorts - very humid at a forgettable pace - snails were passing me.

((( to all those who need them )))

happy runs and walks to all,

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin' everyone!

so stumpy, gonna go cruise thru some stores tomorrow just to watch the crazy last minute people?  You can get your smug on.

O deez, I second that, if I may.  I know this is a tough time for so many folks.  One of my work colleagues, in our judicial division, lost her husband this fall and she is very courageously living one day at a time.

I would rather run in snow than rain, unless it is a warm rain.  The latter is the only kind we get.  Ergo....  (seriously, twocat, it feels good!)

tw, your horror movie comment gave me the creeps--I could see the shadow.  Of course, I agree with Steve P; you can take it down, Slo.

moebo, I know that brand b/c I hate having cold wet feet.  They are pretty good for living up to their waterproof claim.  And nice looking, too.  You scored a big one.

Rosie, how are your kiddoes all?  You and the RS should come work at the Tesla place here (well, over there...on the other coast.).  And I only started running marathons when I was 49 and a half .

I hate when that happens, Starr.  Yuk.

Well I guess we all can see why our Ms. Mari is running the Housing Authority; Bam!  Xmas shopping, WITH coupons/discounts, in 2 hours.  Bam! Bam!Image result for bam!

Ran thru the streets last night with Speedsters for 6 miles, did the bridge over and back once and then about 8 or 9 400s.  THen out this am with some girlfriends for 10.  One is running her first marathon next month.  (She's also a doc who takes care of a lot of the Red Sox kiddoes when they're here.  We're encouraging her to go for a selfie with Pedey.  I mean, she refers to Mrs. Pedey as Kelli--I imagine the 3 boys might be a little rambunctious .)

Image result for Dustin Pedroia's sons

Anyone else doing the 2016 in 2016 game?  What team you on?  I'm on 18.

Anyone hear Will Smith talking about his role in the new movie Concussion?    He plays the doctor from Africa (Dr. Omalu)  who has been very involved in bringing to light the dangers of the many concussions the pros experience.  In addition to having doubts about being the guy who comes down on football, he said this "and you know, Will Smith with a Nigerian accent could go very, very wrong."    I really like him; he's a smart guy and seems not all up himself for all his fame and good fortune.

If you are in the mood for some fresh sounding Xmas music, have you been listening to Pentatonix?  http://tctm.ptxofficial.com/

grins, and happy shorts wearing to you all in the north who can wear shorts past the solstice without traveling!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

SubDood

Anyone else doing the 2016 in 2016 game?  What team you on?  I'm on 18.

I'm in that game, and lucky to say that I am also on Team 18. It's an honor to be your teammate, Amy!

spacityrunner

I am on Team 9...same team as Hermosaboy.  I love it...a game where all I have to do is run 

Wild and woolly weather here this morning...wind rain lightning thunder...watches (tornado, severe thunderstorms, etc) galore...but by the time I meet up with the trail gang this afternoon it should be sunny and 70...gotta love it.

ETA:  A beautiful late afternoon/early evening trail run that ended under a big bright almost full moon.  4.3 miles of mountain loveliness...with thoughts of LaT and little Walter on my mind.  Didn't have to turn my headlamp on the moon was so bright.

Trails Rock!

30 min on the stat bike this a.m., with 6 x 1 min hard, followed up with 20+ min of core, hip, and glute strengthening.

The Hub is getting sick and so far there are two people sick here at work.  I think I'm going to seal myself in my office.

Cleaned out the office fridge this morning.  Yuck!  Fair warning yesterday via global email, with another fair warning this morning of food stuffs left on the table that will be in the garbage by noon if not claimed.  We'll see how many people I tick off.  Ha! 

I'm braving Coscto after work to pick up a prescription, cat food, coffee, and almonds.  Pray for me . . . 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AamosY. Rules are rules. No running in the rain!©

For me it looks like no running in the anything.  My cold is starting to wind down and I figured I would go out for a few miles. After less than 3 my Achilles started to act up and I walked back home. I have to just hope this clears up by the weekend when I will try again. I am icing it and doing the exercises that are supposed to help Achilles problems to go away a bit faster. With just 8 weeks to my scheduled (and booked) marathon I need some magical healing and fast.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

I'm in that game, and lucky to say that I am also on Team 18. It's an honor to be your teammate, Amy!

OK, Dood, but will you be my Maid of Honor?

Image result for maid of honor men......we could put an "18" on the back.....

Sayhey! MM#130

For me it looks like no running in the anything.  My cold is starting to wind down and I figured I would go out for a few miles. After less than 3 my Achilles started to act up and I walked back home. I have to just hope this clears up by the weekend when I will try again. I am icing it and doing the exercises that are supposed to help Achilles problems to go away a bit faster. With just 8 weeks to my scheduled (and booked) marathon I need some magical healing and fast.

Wait a minim, so yer tryin' to tell us the cold moved down to your heel and that's why you can't run?  I don't think it works like that, man.

Where's the marathon again?  (...she asked innocently, thinking she could swoop in and grab the injured runner's bib....)

evanflein

You guys on the east coast are having some unbelievable weather this season. Here's hoping that you don't "pay for it" later with endless storms and cold snaps. The forecasts for Christmas Eve and the weekend are just amazing... We are having a pretty mild winter so far, really, but could get down to -30 on Christmas Day. But, then we'll be up in the teens all next week and I'm off work so that's a Yay! situation for me!

I'd much rather run in a nice warm rain than snow. I really don't like running in snow. But I think our kind of snow is really difficult because it's usually very dry and doesn't pack well, so it's like running in cornstarch (I think that's a term Slo used a few years ago), shifting and giving way under your feet, or packing into ice-like hardpack. The only problem with running in the rain is getting wet feet, which I really don't like. At. All.

I joined that 2016 in 2016, but too late to get on a team. I meant to, just didn't do it. So, I'm in there on my own and have no idea what that means or what I'm supposed to do. So, I'll just run.

Ran 5.5 last night on the TM with 4 x .3 mile @ 7:52 which felt kinda hard. I've lost fitness and gained 5 lbs since my October marathons. Amazing how fast it slips away. Will do the treadmill again today, even though it's not that cold out. Just didn't feel like packing all my stuff into my running bag.

Sad news from La Tortuga last night. I don't think she'd mind me saying since it's all over Facebook. She lost her husband last night after a battle with cancer. So sad for her, my heart just breaks. And yes, cancer sucks.

Slo

I joined that 2016 in 2016, but too late to get on a team. I meant to, just didn't do it. So, I'm in there on my own and have no idea what that means or what I'm supposed to do. So, I'll just run.

Me too...there was no mention of any teams when I first looked at this.

mrrun

Sad news from La Tortuga last night. I don't think she'd mind me saying since it's all over Facebook. She lost her husband last night after a battle with cancer. So sad for her, my heart just breaks. And yes, cancer sucks.

++++

Twocat - while you're healing, I have two cooking questions.  What can you do with the fronds from fennel?  My recipe uses the bulbs only.  Also, what can I use extra thyme in - besides singing parsley, sage & rosemary,

marj

{{ My prayers to LaTortuga and her family.}}  *sigh*  2016 has to be better . . . . right?

Twocat - while you're healing, I have two cooking questions.  What can you do with the fronds from fennel?  My recipe uses the bulbs only.  Also, what can I use extra thyme in - besides singing parsley, sage & rosemary,

marj

Fennel and thyme - two of my absolute most disliked herbs.  There used to be a German breakfast place around here we went to a few times.  I almost always forgot to ask them to hold the thyme, which they used quite liberally in sprinkling it all over the top of their potato dishes.  I would have to pick through the potatoes in effort to eliminate every trace of thyme.  Yuck!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance