Masters Running

Rice Street Mile -- RR (Read 211 times)

HermosaBoy

Well, the original plan was to take a shot at sub 4:50 for this. Unfortunately, a less than stellar training week and a medical scare related to my stings last weekend led me to decide to pace CamScam instead. KeeMan was going to see what all his base training would allow him to do -- A LOT in turns out. So, we head off to this race, get stuck in traffic and show up with only about 25 minutes to race time. Change shoes, do a quick warm-up and head to the line. I point out a friend that ran 4:38 last year to KeeMan and tell him to keep up. So, we are off -- I yell at KeeMan to get after it -- next time I could see him was at the finish. He dropped a HUGE time improvement. Coming into the race, his 1600 PR was 4:43. In this race, he ran a full mile in 4:33 to finish 8th OA. He is really pumped up for his half marathon next weekend (he might have a chance of winning depending on how hard he competes and who shows up) and his XC season which starts in 3 weeks. Dad is extremely happy that all of his hard work is paying off!!!! Big grin As for CamScam and me -- let's just say I did a fairly lowsy job of pacing, went out about 9 seconds fast for the first 1/4 and then we hung on for him to run a 5:58. If you convert to 1600, around a 2 second PR for him -- nothing to complain about! Smile Thanks for reading...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveP

Rob!! Your family RRs are some of the best. PRs rock. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats to all...What a blast it must be to race with your kids like that!
        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
        also on Twitter
          Great racing for the Hermosaboy clan. Even the pacing worked! I can't wait to read the reports from the half-marathon and Keeman's cross-country season. Hot stuff and I am assuming you are okay now and the medical scare was just that...a scare? High fives to all Karin
          HermosaBoy

Great racing for the Hermosaboy clan. Even the pacing worked! I can't wait to read the reports from the half-marathon and Keeman's cross-country season. Hot stuff and I am assuming you are okay now and the medical scare was just that...a scare? High fives to all Karin
            Yes, just a scare. Got a lot of swelling and tenderness from my stings (hornet/wasp?) -- that was localized right where an inguinal hernia would be. Made me a bit cautious. Glad it was just a reaction to the stings...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Phew....I had a hornet or wasp bite on my left foot last week and the swelling was wild. I even freaked that it was some running related injury. Scary stuff---nature. Glad you are okay and sorry you had to go through that. Karin
              coastwalker

How kewl that both boys PR'd in this race! And how great that you all race together so often. I can only imagine how proud you must be of KeeMan and CamScam. I'm also glad that the sting reaction wasn't anything more serious. Like Karin said, when Nature bites, it can be scary... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

That is so cool that you can run with your boys like that. I'm having a hard time getting DS1 to run me in the last couple miles of my HM in a couple weeks... "it's so early..." Good grief it'll be almost 11 by the time I need him! Congratulations to KeeMan on a stunning mile time! That's great, will be so fun to see how he does in XC this year. Wasn't he having motivation problems last winter/spring? Seems to have gotten over it... Congrats to CamScam, too. A PR is always nice to nail!

#artbydmcbride

Well you knew Kee-man was going to kick your booty anyway! Big grin Great job, hermosaboys!

Runners run

The hermosas have all the distances covered. Congrats to KeeMan on his speedy mile and 8th OA. You did a great job pacing CamScam to a PR for him. Kudos to all the hermosas. TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Excellent!! Good luck to KeeMan on his half marathon!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova