Masters Running

Saturday runs and play stories (Read 38 times)

Mariposai

Good morning dear friends.  Here is to wish a very good Saturday to all.

Off for a 10 miles for me, then Xcountry skiing with the Easy Pacer.

My heart is so sad about twocat throwing in the towel for the New Orleans marathon . Specially because  a few of us are gathering in New Orleans to run the race as his birthday celebration. I guess the rest of us will have to run in his honor

Carpe Diem to all.

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

I'm in for 10 too!

Excellent morning for a run. Temps in the upper 20's.

A little black ice in places. Our days are above freezing and we are getting a little melt and refreeze over night. Stayed upright!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Birthday to EP Posie

Does he get any culinary treats today?

/

No running today (Saturday) but, in light of missing Ashland ultra-runner Todd Ragsdale in tammy-land, I left jacket and gloves, wool socks and garden clogs I like for inclement weather running  in the office yesterday for a little over an hour return commute in short sleeve shirt and everything else bare but gym shorts to experience what just an hour running at 43-degrees with a noticeable breeze and in light wear might be like.

I thought of how cold he must be everytime I thought I was cold.

Incidentally, there must be something to “cold-to-the-bone” as not even a hot bath

was sufficient to warm up my hands and they were still cold afterwards too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Happy Birthday to EP Posie

Does he get any culinary treats today?

/

Tetsujin, it is not the EP birthday today. Go back and read my post .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry to see no new news on the lost runner here or FB.  A sad thing to see when it goes out this long.

yesterday's forecast of 38° in the morning meant I put out shorts and a long sleeve shirt for the morning run.  Didn't check the thermometer before I went out.  the 33° that I saw when I got back from 3.8 miles explained why I was a bit chilly.

Today, since I slept in long enough to be able to see the thermometer, I had my tights on for the 30°.  A very nice brisk 3.1 at just over 9 M/M.  Felt very easy.

Nice 10's--hoping for that tomorrow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

And on the Right coast the weather continues to be ideal for running-mid 30's this morning, sunny and light wind. Did 5.5 miles in the midst of hordes of Boston trainers. I get lots of encouragement-;high fives, "nice job", etc. One of the benefits for the aged runner. My R knee continues to be a problem (chronic arthritis- the downside of aging) so it was back to wearing a brace. We're back to Florida a week from Tuesday, hoping the warmth will help.

Stumpy snuck in while I was typing. Although I saw many runners in shorts I was very comfortable in tights-My cutoff point is 40 plus.

Good morning folks! Lots of good running this morning. I, too, was hoping to see news that they had found the lost runner. I'm still praying that he is okay...

Hey Slo - are you running the full for the Cellcom? If not, you're WAY ahead of their training guide

Have fun cross country skiing Mariposai!

Hi Tet! Hi Kevin! Nice run Henry! Nothing to pump up your spirit than being surrounded by people training for Boston, right?

7 miles for me this morning in awesome 32° temps with no wind. Then 20 minutes of core work and stretching before heading to the indoor farmer's market for fresh spinach, carrots, eggs and a loaf of roasted red pepper and spinach bread. Yum! Unfortunately, my addiction to bread has not helped my weight issues. Wish I could drop 5 (or 10).

Hey Ribs - just wondering if you caught the "Dateline" episode on NBC last night. It was about the Steven Avery case and "Making a Murderer" series on Netflix. This whole thing has taken over our local news for the last month or so. Yesterday, there were protests in Manitowoc which is the area where all of this took place. Avery's new attorney says she has new evidence that will get him a new trial. I don't know what to believe any more, but my heart still aches for the Hallbach family who lost a daughter/sister and the grief that these ongoing events are causing them.

We're supposed to get a huge snowstorm here next week, possibly 12-18 inches of snow followed by a cold blast. I'm ready for winter to be over. Soon. Very soon.

Slo

Hey Slo - are you running the full for the Cellcom? If not, you're WAY ahead of their training guide

We're supposed to get a huge snowstorm here next week, possibly 12-18 inches of snow followed by a cold blast. I'm ready for winter to be over. Soon. Very soon.

I am running the full even though I said I was going to concentrate on HM's and shorter here on out...I figured this was the kick in the shorts I needed to get my mileage back up.

Our forecast for the coming storm is ranging from 3" to 23". We might be in the eye, we might not. It may begin as a rain event, it may not. (this seems to be what is driving the snowfall amounts variance) One thing the forecasters seem to agree on is it will be windy and cold once it passes.

Bring It!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

gracias posalita.

Guess I was over hungry

for some good news

Let's hope there'll be some

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dumb dumb dumb - that was me today!! My sciatic pain was starting to feel a little better and still wanting to try and complete the Fudgcicle 8 series I went and ran today. Well - you really couldn't call it running - it was run walk hobble. About .5 mile in I knew it was a bad idea, so turned around to walk back.  There is a "sag" car at that turn and I told them I was walking back and dropping out. Then things started loosening up and the sins of pride and stubbornness overcame sensibility.  I jogged, walked, hobbled to the finish - the timing tent was taken down, but they did add me in manually.  DUMB DUMB DUMB - now I am in more pain than before.

On a better note - I picked up my new tri bike today. Now she needs a name - hopefully I can still train on the bike while trying to heal this sciatica.

Tammy - any news?

Henry - must have been fun being out on the course today. I have friends who were out there too.

Posai - sounds like a fun day of running and xcountry skiing.

Twocat - sorry to hear you are still injured

denise

I spent the last few days in Ludington and will pick up with today's thread.  henrun, I hope the warmer FL weather helps your arthritis.  deez, sorry to hear about the sciatica and the tough race it caused.  I hope the pain eases soon.  Nice long runs for mari and Slo.

I did get in a 5 mile run just before heading out to Ludington and another while I was there.  This morning, it was in the low to mid 30s with some wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:14 pace.  The temp is now up to the mid 40s.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah...maybe it was dumb, Deez...but very cool.  Nice job.

Marathon Maniac #957

My heart is so sad about twocat throwing in the towel for the New Orleans marathon . Specially because  a few of us are gathering in New Orleans to run the race as his birthday celebration. I guess the rest of us will have to run in his honor

Sad about the no racing for Twocat, but the get-together is really where the fun is anyway.  I will take a get-together with friends but no racing over racing but no get-together with friends any day.  I am sure you will make his birthday weekend wonderful. 

Deez - what Mike said....

It is an incredible 60 degrees here right now - crazy!  It was 32 degrees this morning, but I had very little time to get out and enjoy it since I had to get DD to the bus to head off to GWOC BB tournament, then home to shower and meet her there to watch.  Unfortunately, they lost (again), although DD herself played well.  That is the end of a rough basketball season.  I can't say I am sorry to see it end.  Some seasons you crush all opposition, some seasons you get crushed.  This was our turn to be crushed.

Softball conditioning for her starts Monday.   

3.4 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

28F

13 beautiful miles.

1 hour 59 minutes

There were a whole lot of runners parked at P3 and readying themselves for a cold morning run.  Ralph and I volunteered to drop water at the transformer off Neck-O-Land Road. We made it to the start just in the nick of time. Soon there were at least two distinct groups. The faster crowd distanced themselves from us very quickly.  The faster group was bigger than our group.

Pamela and Helen ran ahead of us. Helen is an ultra runner. She ran the most recent JFK 50 miler. Pamela later told me it was all she could do to hang at Helen's pace. Ralph ran with them until that first water stop at Neck-O-Land.

Our little group for most of the run was Carol, Bill, Bob, Ralph and I. As we ran along the Colonial Parkway, we greeted the sun rising across the James River. Breathtakingly beautiful this morning.

Tammy, I have been searching the news for an update but only found this MissingUltraRunner

Please keep us updated. I hope they find him soon.

Deez, maybe you should take a page from Twocat's playbook?  I admire his dedication to running healthy.

Mariposai, I am looking forward to hearing about your NOLA trip. Your family and the Twocat family will have a blast!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Dave59

It was 20° during my morning run of 4.3 miles, but it hit the low 60's today and I have been sitting outside reading and drinking coffee all afternoon.  Washed both cars today too.  (Well, I took them to a self-serve place and sprayed off the worst of the dirt.)