Masters Running

First Saturday in March musings (Read 35 times)

Henrun

Waiting for Jay to summarize, so I'll start the thread until he does.

Went out for the first slow jog this week as the knee continues to complain-but less so. I've been walking but did 2+ running miles today. Part of the motivation is the chance to mingle with the Bosto trainers. I always get a high-five or other encouragement.

Have a good weekend all.

King of PhotoShop

Good for you Henry. I'm going to miss the Boston runners and the big party on Sunday.  My guess is that my marathon days are behind me, to much training is needed and I don't recover as quickly as I used to.

Saint and i got in a few miles on a gorgeous day.  We're running long tomorrow to start the new week, as the forecast is for a ton of rain the rest of the week.  Spareribs

coastwalker

Hi Henry,

Someone else will have to summarize. I've got a busy day today!

I'm glad your knee is getting better, and that you are getting good encouragement from other folks on the roads/paths - not a surprise with all the good runners around Boston, and with your cheerful and outgoing personality.

Stumpy, the 'dusting' of snow we were supposed to get yesterday turned into 3-4". So there is still a bit of snow on some of the lesser-used roads that will be on your course tomorrow. Just thought you'd want to know. Good luck, have fun, and maybe I'll see you along the way.

I got in 3.5 RW miles around our racewalking training session this morning. A newbie came with her daughter, so I spent a lot of time with them, reviewing the rules and basics, and getting them started. Someone asked if the daughter is still in high school - no, she is 28! And yes, she looks that young!

I have to do the grocery shopping today (got the list on my phone), and I have major meetings on Monday and Tuesday mornings that I still have to prep for.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Nice to see Henry getting back out there. Spareribs, I can understand thinking that your marathon days are behind you, but that makes me kind of sad (not sure how you feel about it). Your running was always such an inspiration to me when I was starting out, goodness about 12 years now. But I'll miss the Boston par-tay and get together also and if I ever get back to it will probably be as a spectator. Hard to say, since that's one of my favorite marathons and I love it, but I've got so many NE and other states to "collect" and Boston has gotten so expensive... *sigh* Never say never, but for now I'm not running it. Still like to qualify every year though. 

Heard a good update on FB from Deez that Steven is improving. Not out of the woods yet, but better.

Holly, you really need to renegotiate your salary. It is ridiculous how hard you work for what he pays you. I know you're always harping at Mike to stand up for himself at work, and I'll keep doing the same with you!

There's lots of other things I wanted to comment on, but can't remember now so it'll have to suffice to say I've been reading even when not posting. Oh, have fun with Mikey, Mike!

I'm starting down the path of dental work Holly did a few months ago. Yesterday was a forced day off for the extraction of a tooth that couldn't be saved. Expensive little buggar too... over the past 10 years it's had a crown and a root canal, then it cracked down into the root leading to bone loss around it... had to go. Dang it! So, yesterday was a "down day" where I did a lot of work over e-mail, vacuumed the house, did the dishes and cleaned the kitchen, laundry, some paperwork, etc, etc. So I'm not calling it a rest day, really, but I did actually spend a lot of time loafing around the house and got to bed early. Today I want to try an easy run on the TM to limit impact, but I'd like to get up to 30 for the week so far and hit at least 40 tomorrow. We'll see how I do.

(Oh, I can run because mine is much less major than Holly's, just one upper tooth... #4, I'm not sure what it's "name" is other than PITA.)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad you're on the road again, Henry.  One of these days, I need to go do the marthon route training run just to see the number of people out.  I do have all my Marathon weekend plans taken care of, though--5K, Partay, and the day off to go watch.  We appear to have a little sparser crowd than normal, it seems.  All the speedy ladies will represent us well, I'm sure.  Amy, Karin, and Robin are who I know.

I did a nekkid 3.1 around the lake to stretch my legs a bit before the half tomorrow.  Still wanted to hit the button at the end.    Everything seems to be working, but will be interesting to see how I do.  Good weather, and hoping that today will be warm enough to melt the "dusting".  Of course, it means that it will freeze nicely overnight.

Just finished getting a crown on my implant that's been a parts of three years process.  That let me cover as much as possible with insurance and my FSA withholidngs for each step.  Major outlay regardless!  Still getting used to having something in place of a gap, though.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - lots of dental work going on here and not just me....it has been a year-long process for me to get 3 dental implants, and Tuesday I go back to the oral surgeon for what I think is the final procedure from him.  The implants have been in the jaw for several months, with the gums sewn up over them, and now he will uncover them and drill any extra bone away from them.  Something like that, anyway.  Then I go to the dentist to get crowns on them.  And Stumpy is right, all this is hugely expensive.  I borrowed money from my stepdad to do it, and will likely be paying on it for the rest of his life.  Still, worth it to me to have back teeth.  If only the rest of them will hold out for a few more years.....

6 slow and gentle miles for me today in 34 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hi All. Dental works scares me. So I brush, floss, rinse and avoid ice like my life depends on it. Had a root canal once due to a split tooth that needed a crown and have been on the defensive ever since. All the best on that stuff folks.

Good to hear Henry. My knee is getting better as well. I got a whole 5 miles today. Only some tightness in the evenings. Overall, I'm happy with the results.

Kiddo had his first indoor track meet. Coach made him run the mile. He ran 5:05 and was not happy. I told him if I ran 5:05 I would be celebrating once they released me from the med tent. Ahh youth.

Gotta go grill now that the temps are above 35 here.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Glad to hear Henry and Stumpy's knees are improving!  Mine is, too.  I joined a group trail run this morning, but turned back a bit earlier than most of them so I didn't make my knee mad at me.  Ended up with 12.5 miles, which is probably longer than it was prudent to run, but so far so good.  Two other women turned around when I did too, and we hung out in the parking lot waiting for the others, who ran 18-20 miles.  Then we had a nice little picnic at the trailhead.  Fun day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

6.21 miles on the TM this afternoon, nice and easy and everything seems fine. A shame to be inside on such a sunny day, but it is windy and icy out there. Don't want to risk a fall or slipping too much.

Carolyn, that's quite a re-entry run. Sounds like fun though, hope the knee is ok with it.

evan, bummer about the tooth.  I've been fortunate in having good teeth but can relate since my wife has had more than her share of problems, root canals, crowns, implants, etc.  Nice long runs for Holly, Mike, and wild.

This morning, I did a 5K race.  It was easy to tell that I'd lost several weeks of training by my time and how I felt.  My GPS gave me a time of 33:19, distance of 3.12 miles, and a pace of 10:40.  I was 34/47 OA and 3/3 in my AG (70+).  I did a half mile before the race and 1.4 after to give me 5 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Another update on Deez4boy's son Steve. She posted this on Facebook today.

"

Well Steven's fever went back up
                        to 102. Infectious disease MD said this is not unusual with such a bad case of flu. Will keep watching blood and urine cultures. Trying to cool
                        him down. No breathing trials today - his lungs are frail and need more time to recover. He responds well to questions with the alphabet board and makes his needs known. He knows everyone is wishing him a full recovery!! ❤"

Prayers and Butterfly hugs to Steve and the family.

Spareribs, I believe I ran with you one of your last marathon in Boston. What a great honor that was! I guess we just have to go to Texas to run a marathon so you can join me for a few short miles on the course Smile.

Today was a three hours Erika inspired home caring for me. I decided that a week post marathon is a good time to take it easy and do some homecare, bedroom caring more specifically. I put on my favorite boombox with my favorite music and cleaning and dusting and clearing the closet I did. It sure feels good to get that out of the way. Then I joined the Easy Pacer and son Daniel on a luxurious and steady pace 7 miles on the country roads. I felt grand!!

Cheers to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Henry - do you have an old T or something to wear to or,

I guess, everyone just knows you must be someone with Boston memories. 

Impressed but not surprised at TS’s return to running. Just super.
                          Mine own return was back to GS-land this morning just in time to take him to the Dr. Seuss Birthday Party at the local library. Then, instead of driving the four miles from his friend’s house to go smash up more lakeside ice, they decided to walk. Exceeded last summer’s hike up the dam trail by more than a mile. Mercifully, DSiL then took them to the Field House while I took a two hour nap. However, already looking forward to the Old Timer’s Weekend mini-slalom race at the ski area tomorrow.

Will make tomorrow another call-out day for Steven too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

MikeE- Team Alaska! Are there any Olympic prospects?
                            Do they still do most of their local x-c racing out at Kinkaid Park by the airport where we’d run into moose any time of the year, even in the city’s summer and fall trail running races. One of the two worst skiing falls of my life was at the bottom of a particularly wicked Kinkaid downhill schuss on the skinny boards. Sure makes me savor those days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Greetings all,

TomS, what a great race you had!  Awesome that you are back running. Ribs, you have had a great running career and have been, and still are, an inspiration to many. Erika, I thought of you yesterday with your dental work.  It seems that you bounced back from that just fine.  I break a tooth every now and then so need to start budgeting for those crowns. I may switch to the dental office that does them the same day in 1 appointment, I don't see how, but it's worth a try.

I haven't been posting so much but I did run yesterday.  The Hal Higdon plan had 5 x 400's on for Wednesday but I did them Friday on the TM at the Y. I have no idea what my 5K pace is so did the first at 11:04 but it seemed too easy so I did the next 4 at 10:30 and felt good.  My foot is still hurting but not unbearable. I may go back to the podiatrist for a checkup. Maybe I'll try inserts again. Slow jog around the lake after my niece's bridal shower this morning. DD2 and DIL drove down with my two GDD's so that was fun to see them, but a long drive for the kiddos.

Good luck on your race, StumpyMikeE, enjoy the time with Mikey and family.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Henrun

Henry - do you have an old T or something to wear to or,

I guess, everyone just knows you must be someone with Boston memories. 

Tet-this time of year most runners wear running jackets here. I have 2 Boston Marathon jackets- a 2002 and a 2009. Today I wore the 2002. They may not be vintage but to these young runners they certainly are.