Masters Running

40s and Above On the Run - Be Tough Enough to Follow Through (Wk of 10/05/08) (Read 531 times)

If you doubt you can accomplish something, then you can't accomplish it. You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through. (Rosalyn Carter) Okay - Somehow I ended up with two of these. Don't know how to delete one. Confused Lynda - Just revel in the fact that you didn't need a young 20-something in front of you to accomplish your goal. Wink Cindy - Have fun at the Komen! Re the shin splints - (1) I've been doing more road running the last couple of weeks (as opposed to riding my bike for cardio) to help build up my leg endurance, and (2) I've been neglectful in my shin exercises. Undecided Coach has told me to ice/heat/ice 15 min each a couple of times a day, and I'm not going to run Monday and maybe Tuesday. If I don't have what I need by now to get through this marathon, missing those two days isn't going to make or break me. Okay - Gotta get in the shower and go shopping. For what, I have no idea, but The Hub feels the need to spend some money. Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Great Race Lynda! Way to Go on the PR !!! Plan didn't call for a LR for me today but Buddy and I were having SOOO much fun on the trails,ended up doing a 14.4 miler on a gorgeous fall morning. Just a reminder of what too much alcohol can do. If you don't talk to your pumpkins about drinking,who will?

Top 'O the World!

Joe!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Leslie: Modify/Erase - change the subject or content...??? Just got back a bit ago from the Komen events...I dunno how much "racing" can really be done @ an event of this size!? More like a massive group run/walk! Announcer said 65,000..(we'll get the final count later)..btwn the three "races" We're always in the top 2 in the country (so they tell us) for size! I guess St Louis (?) was marginally larger than ours last year & we were 1st the year before that.... I did the 7am "women's only" race this year (I saw at least a couple dozen menfolk), which I've been told is the smallest pack - approx 15,000 - ! Still, they don't separate the walkers from the runners in this one like they try to in the co-ed so, even starting fairly far fwd, @ the start there is much walking/shuffling for the first coupla blocks..(I'm visualizing Chicago's 45,000 marathon start!! Shocked)..and those in the back can take 10-15 mins to even reach the starting line! & Because of some of the walkers in all three groups, there is almost a continual movement of pink people from the 7am start through the last of the 9:30am starts! This 5K course features two water stations & at least 6 bands. We have one point on the course where we go on a bridge over the interstate & turn to come back under the same bridge, forming a big pink ribbon Smile ....then about half a mile later, after going back up the "off-ramp" (I got a giggle out of a couple of H.S. girls who sounded a little intimidated by the "hill!" Big grin) ~ the finish line is lined w/media & cheerleaders from various groups/schools...enrt a massive goody expo (?) ....I got up @ 4:45 in order to catch the normally 50 min train ride downtown...drank at least a 22oz coffee on the way Roll eyes + most of another 22oz bottle of water (colds make me thirsty - which this one btw, is getting much better!) in the two hrs of getting ready & getting there....I pondered taking one more provisional porta potty stop, but opted not to in order to try to get a little further fwd in the group.....needless to say, by mile 2 I was getting pretty uncomfortable, so I pulled over into a P.P. line.... this took 4+ mins!! but the distance from the finish line P.P.'s made it definitely worthwhile - specially since this isn't really a "race" per se! & I got to run that last 1.1 miles much more comfortably! The watch said 36:01...considering all the beginning walking & the PP stop - I'm figuring I migrated about a 10:20ish pace....?? I dunno..I wandered around the expo, eating yogurt & checking out all the costumes ~ some are very creative! ....collected a huge bag of goodies & mosey'd home...Doug & Mairead are out somewhere on Highline trail....I briefly thought about joining them for a couple....by the time I rode the train for almost an hour coming home, I was getting chilled & just wanted a hot shower! Blush Hope everyone is having an Awesome Weekend! I have more bananas.... Wink MTA: Doug & Mairead just got back from their 20....avg pc 9:38 AHR/150 Cool
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

WOW Cindy ,that sounds like a blast! Did you say a 9:38 pace for a 20miler for Doug!?!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi guys, I don't usually post in this group because I thought it was for 40-somethings, but now the subject is 40's and above... Joe, I love the puking pumpkin! Showed it to DD and her friend to reinforce the dangers of alcohol ! Big grin Cindy, way to go on the race for the cure! I get kind of claustrophobic in big crowds, so I don't think I could run with 65,000 people! Did Mairead really run the whole 20 miles today?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Did you say a 9:38 pace for a 20miler for Doug!?!
              Confused??? Wildchild - Welcome! We figured we were getting to being in trouble legally re discrimination, so we've decided to open our borders to others. (Just Kidding!) Nah - We have a few folks who are closer to 50 than 40, and one who recently turned 50. Don't want anyone to feel they have to leave us just 'cause they had a birthday. Besides, the more the merrier! Cindy - That's a TON of peeps! What was in your boodle bag? We're still thinking of going to Montana in April or May, and there's a Race for the Cure event in Helena (?) during one of the time frames we were looking at. Actually, The Hub has been looking for trail races for me. What a guy! Have found one, and Sarah from PCTR turned me on to a lady who lives in Montana who, if we're in her area, has offered to do an impromptu trail run with me if the schedule works it. How nice! Although, I get the feeling she's really good. Undecided Joe - Great picture!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Really quick..... yep that's 20.02 miles, total time 3:12:54!.... think he's ready for a full mary? & Mairead went the whole way too...she's been doing these w/us..vet said she should be able to w/o any issues (his exact was, if trained up to it, there is no way I could out run her - speed or distance! ....& now both seem fully recovered - he's digging fence post holes... Yeah, 65,000 is ALOT of peeps, but you never see that many all at once because of the large area & the three "races" over 3 hrs time....crowd keeps moving...so, other than the start, it doesn't necessarily seem like any more than any other of the larger races....well, not counting the expo which gets weird after the 8:30 folks are coming in....that's when I left.... goodie bag stuff: besides the t-shirt, you could walk around to the different tents (trick or treat style)... hats/visors, yogurts, string cheese, juice, calendars, pens, key-rings, frisbees, shoelaces, bracelets, make-up/travel bags, little lunch coolers, scarves, towels, coupons, chap-sticks, magazines, chips, granola bars, Starbucks, Safeway people grilling ribeyes & handing out chunks on toothpicks...I'm sure there was stuff I didn't get to...got outta there! MTA: I think you can link to pics & videos from here...http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=101156&catid=339
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Both of us had restless legs last nite after the race and for the record I don't know what Lynda was talking about, I sure don't remember a 20 something gal in tight blue pants and midriff baring workout top, nope didn't see her at all!! Wink I read a post in the health section about the poster getting changed to more shoe stability bring on achilles problems, so I went back and read my old posts back to the time I put the Brooks adrenalines in the mix. Ding, Ding, Ding I think we may have a winner! This quote from July " I wore the Brooks adrenalines I got in Boulder at BB, a little more support than my nirvanas. My achilles was kinda funky the whole way, don't know if that is related to the shoes or not. Seems fine now. " Turns out I did both my 11 milers in them last summer and did the 10 2wks ago in them when they really fired up. So maybe this is a man made problem and quite solveable once I get healed up. If the adrenalines were indeed the culprit it will make the second time shoes actually created a problem. I got shin splints when I was running in ultra deluxe cushion shoes so I know I need some support. I almost think I should train in my race shoes, Mizuno Elixars a light performance trainer with just a hint of stability. That 50 something lady yesterday said she heard an audible pop in her achilles yesterday, dang thats scary. Joe that pumpkin pic is such a hoot, thanks for putting that up! You must be on the mend if you are doing 14 milers for extra credit! Smile Cindy 65k, wow, at least they held up the walkers until all the runners went by here yesterday! Glad the cold is abating. Good job to Doug!! Welcome Wildchild, I have read some of your mtn trip reports (race reports too), I am something of a mtn junkie myself. Leslie buy anthing fun today?? Taking it pretty easy today, did a little work on the tractor Lynda will run pulling the grain cart, but rain prevented any outside work. The rain is just the ticket for the newly emerged wheat. I got tired of waiting on the elevator last week and we picked that half pivot of corn wet and stuck the rest of it in a couple of little dryer bins and got the rest of the wheat in behind the corn on that field friday. Good thing or now we would be waiting for it to dry out and the time is getting late for wheat seeding. I have my harvest crew all set. Sooo with the rain I got time to fix some things before the rest of the corn will go. A good thing to do a little trial run to dial things in and fix some potential problems before crunch time. When the ground and the corn dries enough to get back in, the fieldwork will be down to just harvesting corn. Always good to be just doing one thing at a time.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - love the pukin' punkins...mine is going into a pie tomorrow... Evil grin Cindy - I simply can't imagine that many runners, 15,000 seems huge to me...so, any marathons allow dogs? I think Mairead has earned a spot! Wildchild - welcome...maybe we should be 40s and BEYOND!! Jim - I've had shoes hurt me...seen it happen to others, too...so, yeah, it happens. I sure hope you've found a reason for your achilles issue, that would be great! Had a lovely 8 miler today, compared today's run with a similar run I did in the spring (similar temperature), and I ran the same course at the same speed but with a 5 bpm lower average heart rate - so I guess that's some progress...or at least a good day! Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Good morning 40ish and aboveish peoples Smile. Leslie, thanks for the start and the encouragement to finish! Congrats to Lynda for her awesome 5K PR!! Woohooo! As for you Jim, I know you're a farmer and all, but re: the 20ish gal ....put down that shovel, and stop digging Wink. Good detective work re: the Adrenalines. I'm on my 4th pair of them now, but one person's pill is defitinitely another's poison when it comes to running shoes. Wildchild, howdy!! Happy to have you jump in and hope you'll post here frequently. I don't venture out of this thread much, but mainly just 'cause I have limited time to post/read, and get overwhelmed by trying to follow too many threads. When I do read the other boomer threads, I'm impressed by the breadth of experience and the camaraderie there. Joe, so 14.4 had just become a casual sort of run for you and the Budster! Glad you are enjoying that fall weather. A cool, crisp fall day is just the best. Loved the pumpkins...too funny! Mtnchk, no separation for walkers in your race? Was the co-ed the only one w/ chip timing? Hey, I think you had a porta-pottie PR there Big grin Those races are always so inspirational....just seeing so many people gathered together for one worthy cause always brings tears to my eyes. Glad your cold is subsiding. And about Doug and Maired....WOW!! Great pace for any run, much less a doggie run! Arla, good running! You were due for some good ones after that passing out episode. Don't care how good you're feeling though...get that stress test girl! Raining here and also tired from the weekend (5K, evening wedding/reception, church, cowboy game, etc.), so no run this morning, thus the time to post. Busy week on the accounting calendar...closing out the month as well as the quarter complete w/ assorted state and local tax returns for our clients. Fortunately, looks like no more pet sitting 'till the weekend, so a bit of a break there! Hubster's butt/leg pain is doing better...did a little mtnchk style massage on him last night, he's been stretching, and is almost through his round of steriods. He's doubtful for the Dallas Komen (10/18), but perhaps the Speedway Run on 11/8 is a better possibility. That one is small, fun, and benefits a great cause in Young Life.
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                        Hey 40's and above! I lurk over here some, but don't post much...usually on the daily. Good running to all. Did I miss out on a couple RR...r2farm and lynda? I better go peruse the forum some more. r2farm...from what I can gather, you were able to get to the finish with some visual aid? One of my mantras is "See the beauty" and "Be the beauty." And beauty is all around us if we'll only choose to see it. I'm glad you were able to see the beauty, my friend! And I'm sure you were being beautiful out there too! fatozzig...I really like the follow through thing. Thanks for the inspiration. nj joe....great pic of the pukin' pumpkins. Big grin mtnchck...sounds like a great event! 6 bands...wow! To the rest, have a great week!
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Thanks for getting us going Leslie.....love the 40's and Above topic AND the quote. Keep those shins healthy, you got a race coming up! Sounds like you had a great time Cindy......whew, that's alot of people. Doug is kicking butt, how long has he been running? I thought he was a newbie. What can I say about Mariread......incredible endurance as well. Loved Lynda's comment on the 20 something runner.......watch it Mr. Jim......super PR for you Lynda. You have really come along way. Congrats! Glad you had another great run Joe.....and Buddy as well. Sounds like you have some nice places to run close by your house. Lucky you.....my girls cracked up at the pumpkin pic! Arla, glad you had a great 8-miler.....you have made some great progress these past few months. Your marathon is only about 3 months away. Are you just going to be in Orlando for the day or the weekend or what? Carol, you are sooooo busy with pets, accounting and running. Getting it all done though. Glad to hear your hubs butt/hip thing is starting to get better. Wildchild/Evryday.......please post daily. We love reading about everyone's running experiences and lifestyles! Got a quickie 3 miler in before work this morning......... Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                            Yoo Hoo!! Jewels!! Did ya sign up for that HM yet????? Smile Evryday - Come whenever, post often. We like to hear from ya. Farmer Jim - Patience indeed to go back over the posts and research the achilles issue. Makes me think I should be putting more notes in the comment section of my log. Carol - Glad to hear DH is starting to feel better. Keep jabbing him in the butt! Big grin Cindy - Just how long has Doug been running? I, too, thought he was fairly new, but he and Mairead are doing crazy great! Took today off to continue nursing my shins. Have one spot on the outside of my right shin that just can't seem to get happy. (To the sound of snapping fingers), "Yo bud! More ice and heat over here!" Speaking of snapping fingers - I am 42 (okay, and a half!), and I have never been able to snap my fingers. I used to get blisters when I was a kid from trying so hard. One of our cats, Oscar aka Gumba, got on our roof this a.m. I could hear him crying while I was in the bathroom. The Hub tried once to get him, but he just rolled around on the roof just out of his reach. Finally after an hour of listening to him, I gave it a try. He came up to me, just within fingers reach, letting me scratch him, and I was finally able to grab his leg. The tree he climbed to get on on the roof hadn't moved! Let's just say he's not the smartest apple in the barrel (which is why he's called "Gumba") . . . but I love him to death. Goofball. He's the one on the left side of my avatar pic.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

fatozzig....we like our cat, too. Our son, when he was 8 years old, named the cat Rambo. He goes by various nicknames, Rambage, BoBo, Bubba.. he answers to them all. (when he feels like it) When I come in from a run and lay down to stretch, he's right there nosing around, pawing at my face, nudging me for some affection. Then he'll roll over and it appears he is stretching with me. My wife says he loves my stink. Ok...I guess you have to be a cat lover.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                                My wife says he loves my stink.
                                I have to keep my stinky clothes away from one of our cats, Wilson, 'cause he just goes crazy over them. Why, for the life of me, I can't figure out. Weirdo. Wink

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance