Masters Running

MCM rr (Read 483 times)

Intro: I'm not a "Love it or Leave it" person, as my sense of democracy and being a responsible citizen means staying informed and engaging in always trying to improve your country. I'd never thought about running the MCM as I didn't think I'd fit in very well. I assumed that it was for military types and DAR/NRA members only. And it is huge, bigger than Boston, meaning a whole lot of hoopla early in the morning just to get to the startline. (I prefer rolling out of bed and sauntering up with about 15 minutes to spare.) Well, as I delicately clean the crow feathers from my keyboard, let me say this is a unique event and a race worth doing. While it is titled "The Marine Corps Marathon," it is known as "The People's Marathon," which evokes Marx, not marksmen. And it truly is that, a race for the people and by the Marines. That's a powerful combination. To say that it is exceptionally well organized is redundant, plus, you'd expect that, after 32 years (this was the 33rd running) and having the Marines in charge. At the expo, I got an inkling of the unique sort of organization I am writing about here. I was finished at the packet pickup [oh, apropos of nothing, there was a $15 discount on the Seattle RnR so I bit.] and started drifting toward the door from which I'd entered, when this very sharp young marine called out: "MA'AM! THIS IS NOT AN EXIT, MA'AM! EXITS ARE ON YOUR LEFT, MA'AM!" ....with very clear arm motions to illustrate. I'd never been admonished in such a respectful fashion before. Even though I was being redirected, I felt sort of honored. Every single other Marine I met made me just so proud to be an American. When so much in the news about us right now is depressing, the weekend seems as if it were a bright oasis, with even the sun dawning for us on race day after a dreary, rainy Saturday. We gathered at the parking lot to do the usual pre-race things, watch the sun come up, and begin to get a sense of how many people actually run this race. The UPS drop bag trucks were attended by Marines, bright, friendly, urging us to have good races and wishing us "Good Luck!" As you walk to the starting line, which is at the Pentagon, you see things that choke you up: the wheelchair athletes, many of whom are wounded veterans; person after person running with photos of comrades who were killed in action, dedicating their races to these young men and women, grey haired vets, back again (the Marines have a term for those who have run every single MCM: "Ground Pounders") and the petite, blonde, 20-something in a pink hoodie, with her sign attached firmly to her back: "proud war widow." The prayers, the fly-overs, the start: it's easy to stay emotional. Then you set forth on a tour of our Nation's Capitol that keeps your heart beating strong. All around, you hear other languages. Many people come from other countries to run this race. It is stirring to look around and feel proud that these guests are seeing a piece of America at its best, especially this year. Marines in fatigues are at every waterstop, along with volunteers, and you can bet the stops are clearly marked and usually on bith sides of the street, staggered for crowd maintenance. You stop and try and thank a Marine and they just correct you and thank you for running. When you finally get down the Mall and the familiar monuments, you're about to head for the last 10K. Tired, sure, but you are part of something that manages to transcend the ordinary confines of a marathon on an autumn Sunday. You've had time to reflect upon what it means to be an American. You have been reminded of whatever pieces of our nation's history that are important to you, as you pass by various buildings, streets and monuments. You consider this year's election as you pass the White House, and the history we are making right now. All the people who stood up for and too many who had to die for the ideals that make us a free country. People dedicated to achieving equal access to justice for everyone. You keep going, and the crowds keep exhorting you to stay the course. You do, and are greeted by a row of Marine Corps Lieutenants, standing straight, tall, and holding finisher medals in their hands. One of them is for you. As soon as it is draped on your shoulders, along with the mylar blanket, someone guides you over to the Iwo Jima Memorial so that a photographer can snap your picture in front of it. Then you head on out to walk out the kinks and continue contemplating what just happened. You know, I never thought I'd run this one. After signing up, I figured it was "good" to do it once. Now, I can't wait to go back. grins, A You know, stats at this one are an afterthought, but here goes: 3:30:11, 158/7147 women; 1219/18273 overall; 6/424 AG
    Masters 2000 miles
      Oh my, Amy. What an incredible race report, and you ran a great race. I've wanted to run this one - mainly because the route goes through the war memorials. Now I have to run this one just to experience for myself what you've so eloquently described. Thanks so much for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

TammyinGP

I have always thought that this would be one of those marathons that would be especially memorable and filled with emotion and you confirmed it Amy. If I were able to travel for races, this would likely rank in my Top 5 of races I would consider traveling to. Thanks for this report and congratulations on a race well done!

Tammy

Amy - I can't begin to tell you just how much I truly really enjoyed your race report. I've run the MCM twice and look forward to running it again sometime soon. Your report brought back so many good memories for me, and so eloquently descirbed this race that it brought me chills. And by the way, I'm sure you fit in just fine. Wink Congratluations on a great race, and although stats may be an after thought, 158th female finisher overall is pretty impressive ...YOU GO GIRL, and 6th in your age group...YOU ROCK! Big grin
          wildchild

Carolyn

Wow. What an inspiring race report. The emotional aspect of this race really came through in your report. It sounds like an awesome experience. Off topic, but it just occurred to me: I was wondering if 50-staters usually include a race in D.C. as well?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

xor

it is known as "The People's Marathon," which evokes Marx
              Please tell me it didn't evoke Gummo or Zeppo. Did the person in the Kermit costume run it this year?

Here's a RR for the archives. Thanks.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                xor

Off topic, but it just occurred to me: I was wondering if 50-staters usually include a race in D.C. as well?
                  You've stumbled onto something. There are two 50 staters organizations. One of them is the 50 states + DC group. For this one, DC counts as its own thing... to complete the circuit, you have to do a DC race. The other one is the 50 states marathon club. This group is adamant that "DC is not a state". HOWEVER... to count a race towards a state, both orgs have similar rules: a race can count for the state that the race starts in OR finishes in (but not both, unless you run it twice. Some races start and end in different states). MCM officially starts and ends in Virginia. For the 50 states club, MCM counts as your VA entry. For the 50+DC group, it can count for VA or DC. And before you say, "but it can't count for DC because it doesn't start or end there", well, DC isn't a state Smile.

Awesome race report. You almost had me in tears just picturing your view as you "pounded ground"! Well done. Fran
                    Tramps

Neat report, Aamos. You never cease to amaze. Someday I’ll probably look at doing this race, though I’m more inclined to do the smaller, all-DC National Marathon first. I know the Marine Corps Marathon started as a PR/recruitment tool in the post-Vietnam era, when the military’s public image had taken a beating. Recently as they've had more difficulty meeting recruitment targets, they've expanded their running sponsorships to include a 1/2 in Fredericksburg and shorter races, too. But even though hundreds of Marines (presumably, at taxpayer expense) are assigned marathon duty, if you dig around on the web site you’ll eventually find a disclaimer that says, “No federal or Marine Corps endorsement implied.” Huh? I never understood that. ETA: I e-mailed this to a Marine friend (I live near Quantico; lots of marines!) who said they attach that phrase to any materials that mention a private company, such as marathon co-sponsors. So the non-endorsement is of the companies, not the marathon, which he believes is indeed run on the public dime. I do understand, though, that the “people’s marathon” moniker comes from the fact that the race doesn’t offer prize money and thus attracts “ordinary” people rather than elite runners. Of course, they didn’t know you were coming. Big grin BTW, you beat the DC mayor by about 7 minutes!

Be safe. Be kind.

Wow, Aamos, that was a moving report. I got choked up reading about this fantastic event and your take on it. Also, you ran a mighty impressive race. Congratulations. TomS

King of PhotoShop

An outstanding report. I am sending it on to Major Rick Nealis, who directs the race, and who will be most proud to read your words. Thank you for writing this. I have run this race many times and I feel just the same as you do. And by the way Amy, nice time! Spareribs

Top 'O the World!

Wow, Aamos, that was a moving report. I got choked up reading about this fantastic event and your take on it. Also, you ran a mighty impressive race. Congratulations. TomS
                            Ditto that! Wink Well done!! now where's my klenex...
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Aamos - what a heartfelt description of your experience on Sunday. Last weekend was the first time I was ever in our nation's capitol, and it's hard to not feel proud of our country when you see the WWII, Korean and Viet Nam War Memorials - AND - Arlington National. To look out on the vast number of soldiers burried there and not be emotional would be impossible. Your tribute to the marathon and all the marines and people either volunteering or running was powerful. Great job on the race, and thanks for sharing your day with us.
                              coastwalker

Hi Amy, Congrats on a fantastic race! And thank you, thank you for one of the most beautiful, well-written "from the heart" race reports I've ever had the true pleasure of reading. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.