Masters Running

First Monday of 2016 1/4 (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Back to work after the holidays, yet I am in a surprisingly good mood.

Except, of course, that I am angry at Marie Callender.  Those beef pot pies that I am addicted to, that seemed a great workplace lunch at 400 calories - my DS showed me this weekend that the fine print says "servings per package - 2."  800 calories!  No wonder I have been gaining weight.....

No run for me today, but 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marie Callender pot pies are SO good!

I have no idea what's been going on over the last few days and I'm not going to pretend I'll go back and get caught up 'cause, let's face it, I won't.

But Happy New Year, Everyone!!  I hope 2016 brings you lots of joy, happiness, and good runs.

The woman I ran with the Saturday after Christmas messaged me on FB and said she has purchased a hydration pack and trail shoes and wants to keep running with me.  Looks like I have a new friend!  I could've used her presence on Saturday.  My 18 didn't go so well.  My head and heart weren't in it and I ended up power walking the entire last 3 miles.  On Friday, The Hub and I went to the storage unit and when through more of my dad's things.  It just left me in a funk the rest of the weekend.

On a positive note in that regard, though, I haven't walked 3 miles in a row in a long time (crazy to think that, huh?) and boy were my hips talking to me!  I think I need to do some more walking . . .

This morning since I was wide awake at 3:00.  Tried to go back to sleep after I fed the cats, but nope.  Finally gave up and went and did my workout - an hour of core/ST with lots of single leg work.

Saturday, I listened to this podcast on Trail Runner Nation.  Good stuff re salt intake during.

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly, you need to write a column.  You're too funny for us to keep you all to ourselves.  Me too, glad to be back at work.  I would fail at retirement.  [Also, I have ranted before about serving sizes.  Did you know a regular, 8 ounce tub of hummus is supposed to be 8 servings?  Ha!]

Lots of hardware in the couples division!  Saint and Ribs, marj and henrun--oh, hope Miami is warm enough for you.  We're finally getting some winter.  On my 10K run this am, it was in the 50s and I saw many folks in puffy jackets, gloves and knitted hats.  B/c it's freezing. 

I love the pie/race of the month at Tammy's house.  So fun.

Mike, My older brother died in his early 50s.  I think I know a little of what you feel.   Good luck on your marathon!   Say hi to anyone in a TFA (Teach for America) shirt and thank them for their service.  They are working hard (there are quite a few in Jackson, or were, last time I checked.)

Starr, same here, with the phone, we were on a trip this weekend and I was so frustrated trying to access here from the phone.

Nice racewalking, Claire, and I had a fall that involved one hand such that I couldn't do push-ups for quite a while, tw.

I once seriously considered whether one could be addicted to reading.  When I was a kid, my mom made me be social at family gatherings.  We had a set period during which I was to speak with my relatives and otherwise interact before I could go read.  (I did have some cousins around my age, so when they were around, the rule wasn't necessary...)

Did you know the contemporary author Joanna Trollope is from the same family as Anthony?  She writes sort of romance novels, but perhaps with a bit more angst and psychological insights than most.

Saw some very speedy runners this weekend in Jacksonville.  It's quite something to see a herd of young men thundering down the pavement, then a similar flock of women just behind them.  The first 3 miles of the course is a loop, so you really do see it like that, as they are together in the early miles.    "In all, 27 men and 14 women posted times below the qualifying threshold of 1 hour, 5 minutes for men and 1:15 for women, required to make the field for the U.S. Olympic Trials marathon in Los Angeles Feb. 13."

marj, the woman's winner is from Brookline, Stephanie Dinius.

And in the not too shabby department, a 65 year friend from Ft. Myers, Gary Romesser, ran the half in 1:27--that's a 6:41 pace.  He's also extremely pleasant and humble.  Image result for Gary Romesser  --This is Gary, but isn't from yesterday--it was cooler than that in Jax!

DH walked it and got in under 3 hours, so he was able to get back to the hotel and squeeze in for the breakfast that went until 10:30.

I was not, had a 3:39 in the full, and so ended up eating a very odd Kind Bar in the car on the way home.  It was Hickory BBQ flavored (it was free in an earlier race packet).  Still not sure about it, but I had that sudden onset of extreme hunger you get after a long run.

Was saddened over the holiday about Natalie Cole.  Followed her a bit; she was in western MA when I was, and knew a couple of lawyers I worked with, also found her songs really good running songs.....then she did Unforgettable with Nat and I was totally a fan.

Anyone familiar with the play/recent movie "The Last Five Years" by Jason Robert Brown?  I only just found it, and was very moved, even though the reviews were uneven.  Love Anna Kendrick!   (Yes, it's a musical!)  Here's a synopsis:

The cult-favorite show premiered Off-Broadway in 2002 and was revived, in a production directed by Brown, in 2013. It follows the rise and fall of a five-year relationship from both sides — Jamie (Jeremy Jordan) moves forward in time while Cathy (Anna Kendrick) goes backwards. Director Richard LaGravenese maintains this structure in the film with one marked difference: both of the characters appear in each song, as opposed to onstage where they sing solo for most of the show.

Well and that's all I have so far in 2016....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

And Happy Birthday Dave!  How are you celebrating??

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

....hAPPY b'dAY DAVE..............

'Nanner Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Purple Dancing Banana emoticon (Banana Emoticons)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Holly, you're lucky the pot pies were only 2 servings. My biggest beef is when a can of soup, which when heated up fits in one single bowl, and is somehow 2 servings?!  One bowl of soup is not 2 servings.

Anyway, I got up and ran a couple miles before going into work. I got a nice singing birthday greeting from Tag on Facebook which I would share but Facebook is blocked here at work. (I saw it at home before I came to work.) Tag does a really good job. Although his pronunciation is a little off (being a dog and all), he seems to have the right number of syllables in his barks. Pretty amazing.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

36F

3.30 miles: mile 1: 9:48;  mile 2: 9:06;  mile 3: 9:05;  last point 3: 8:53

Steve, Tricia, Ralph, and I were the only ones here this morning. Steve says he can't keep up and needs to lose 15 pounds. Tricia could run circles around us. And Ralph and I did what we expected for this morning's run. Then Steve went swimming. Tricia went home to get her high school son ready for school. And Ralph and I went in and did some stretch and strength stuff.  Our goal for the new year is to improve and maintain our core strength and to continue to stretch regularly.

Twocat: You nailed it. Your response to my reader's guilt is why I have reader's guilt. There are so many folks who work so much, reading for pleasure is not in the cards. You see, when my kids got to middle school, I quit working as an RN in the hospital. I worked 7pm -7am (just like DeeZ) Labor and delivery. But I could not handle working nights and managing the house and kids. Anyway, I had various parttime non-nursing jobs. But for the past couple years, I have not worked at all. And all three of my children have completed at least one bachelors degree program at Virginia Tech.  It seems I forgot to go back to work at the hospital. Anyway. When I read, as I said, I feel like I am getting away with something.

MikeE: I look forward to the time when I have a little one to whom I can read Hop on Pop and One FIsh Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and Go Dog Go! and Sam and the Firefly

SteveP: i LOVED seeing those photos! The wedding photo is stunning! Simply beautiful. And the r.s. and I are dreaming of that snow you have there. He was wondering if you are in the U.P.?

MTA: Happy New Birthday Year to Dave!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

spacityrunner

3.1 easy breezy street miles today.  Thats all I got....

Trails Rock!

mrrun

Happy Birthday Dave!!!!

rejoined the Y, so cross-trained with elliptical and bike

Aamos - never heard of Stephanie Danius - appears to go to BU - too young for us.  Congrats on your placement yesterday!

marj

3.1 easy breezy street miles today.  Thats all I got....

...could be worse, I just got another Audit Notice......

to quote

a Famous Runner

(Popeye)

''I can whip all ya mugs One at A Time''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Happy Birthday Dave!

Great photos yesterday Steve!

No running today, but finally went back to computraining - first ride since October and boy did I feel it!! Looking forward to when my new bike is in and ready!!

Happy Monday friends!!

denise

Happy birthday Dave!

Hi everyone!

stumpy77 and Holly S. in the future if you find not working kind of dull, feel free to give me a call! I am sure I can come up with something to help out! 

Dave59 Happy birthday! Wishing you a speedy year ahead.

Holly S. hysterical about the pot pies! Things like that are why I generally pack my own lunch.

SteveP man that looks like a LOT of snow! Glad none of it is around my place! Congratulations to your DD#2!

AamosY I cannot believe that HM time! That would set a new PR for me!

buehrle I would not mind losing 5 pounds. But try as I might, (I go down side streets, through back alleys, etc.) they keep finding me! 

I am probably not going to try out my Achilles tendon with a run until Saturday so today was another elliptical day. It was also go back to the office day. Meeting at 12 with the school's sort of like executive committee to discuss . . . actually I had no real idea what they wanted to discuss. I thought it had something to do with PhD admissions (I run the PhD program) but nope. They wanted to compare our yield (in coming) and placement (outgoing) to our competitors. I have those numbers somewhere, but not available spontaneously. There must be some way for people who call meetings to indicate to those expected to attend what said meeting will be about. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

buehrle--thanks for the restaurant tip--I'll try to check it out when I get there.

So...Friday, I signed up for the marathon.  Saturday, when Debbie got home, we took Ryan and his GF out for dinner.  As we got in the car, Debbie said, "I want you listen to a noise I've been hearing."  Yep--there was a noise alright.  Sunday morning, I texted my SIL, and asked if I could bring it over for him to listen to.  Rear wheel bearings shot.  By the way--this is the vehicle, I'm planning to drive down to Mississippi on Thursday.

Also, on Sunday morning, I woke up not feeling well.  After church, I laid down for a little while, in hopes I'd feel better.  Nope--as the day went on, I felt worse and worse.  My stomach was in knots and every muscle in my body ached.  With the way I was feeling--and with the car issue--I was kind of wishing I hadn't just put out 107 bucks for a marathon.

BUT-- my SIL went online, found an auto store with 2 rear wheel bearings in stock, I paid the $250 and, in less that an hour, he had them both installed.  This morning, I woke up feeling pretty good...and continued to improve all day long.  I'm just shocked that I recovered so quickly.  It's a mazing the difference a day makes.

We had to say good-bye to Ryan and his GF, tonight, though.  They're heading back to Nevada.  Man, it's hard to see your kids drive away when you have no idea when you'll see them again.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

I am probably not going to try out my Achilles tendon with a run until Saturday so today was another elliptical day. It was also go back to the office day. Meeting at 12 with the school's sort of like executive committee to discuss . . . actually I had no real idea what they wanted to discuss. I thought it had something to do with PhD admissions (I run the PhD program) but nope. They wanted to compare our yield (in coming) and placement (outgoing) to our competitors. I have those numbers somewhere, but not available spontaneously. There must be some way for people who call meetings to indicate to those expected to attend what said meeting will be about. 

Welcome to my world. Just add to those who call the meeting the name of HUD, State legislators and State Dept.of Commerce and you have my average daily battle!

Once again my fitness plan was derailed today by snow shoveling before I went out for a run. I ran for 4 miles with great company, I may add. Then I got back to shovel more snow...

Then off to the office I went to work for 9 hours..

I came back home thinking that I wanted to fit in some upper body cross training...

which I did...more snow shoveling...

cheers to all...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard