Masters Running

Deep Friction Massage and Myofascial Release (Read 312 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone here tried this stuff? I've been reading Listen to Your Pain and it says that deep friction massage can help tendon injuries heal much faster, if done properly. I looked and found that there is a licensed massage therepist who does this stuff in the building across from my downtown office. At this point I'm sort of grasping at straws, but wondering if anyone here has used this sort of thing to try to treat injuries.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

Yup, I'd say you're on the right track Wink
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Renee the dog

Holly, I had a severe case of ITBS -- found a myofasicial release massage therapist. She has kept me on the road ever since! I used her along with my acupuncturist/MD to get back to whole. (I ran for about 6 mi after the ITB flared...not smart). I don't think actively looking for a solution is grasping at straws -- I'd rather think you are actively searching for a solution! {{{ }}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Is this like ART? (I think that's active release therapy) I've heard of others using it... say the treatment can be painful at the time but offers relief from your injury. I'd be wary, but may be worth a try. And I agree... you're looking for solutions not grasping at straws.
            Holly- My two cents is if the person is licensed you could do no worse than at least get their opinion on whether they think it will help you and if your insurance covers it that makes it even better to try it. I have suffered soft tissue injuries before and it felt like they would never heal. My wife has used ART with great success for achilles and calf injuries.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Darn, I thought if I clicked on this thread, I'd get one Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

If someone's offering up a massage, I'm on the next airplane! Seriously though - Hope this works for you, Holly. My friend also does something called MAT through the health club she works for. It's helped alleviate some shoulder difficulties she was having: http://www.feelrejuvenated.com/MAT%20page.htm She's been trying to get me to go, but just haven't gotten a-round-tuit yet.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi Holly, Earlier this year, I had a problem with my hip that wasn't going away. I went for deep friction massage a few times and it hurt like a son of a gun, but it kept me on the road, and allowed me to complete a target half marathon. However it provided only temporary relief, and it ultimately took some PT and some serious stretching to finally get me beyond the problem. If I had a tendon/muscle problem again, I wouldn't hesitate to try another DF massage. It's not that expensive, and a good massage therapist might not be able to resolve the issue, but at least they should be able to provide a modicum of relief without making the problem any worse. At best, the issue will be resolved in 2-3 sessions. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Google "active release treatment" and after you read up on it and understand the approach, find the link that shows where there is someone doing this in your area. I wouldn't trust any massage therapist who isn't certified to do it. And after you learn who is certified, talk to other runners from any local club. There is being "certified" and there is being certified and really knowing how to do it. Spareribs
                      Holly, I'm finally making some progress with self-treatment sort of based on deep massage theory. Over the past months, I've had several hundred dollars in doctor's bills and PT. Some of the PT was helpful, but there just wasn't enough of it. The basic problem with PT is that they want you to come in for an hour at a time, 2 or 3 times a week. During that hour, they do a number of things that are profitable for them but not helpful, but may manage to hit on one really good procedure that only takes a few minutes. I concluded that what I needed was not a full hour a couple times a week, but more like 10 or so minutes, 2 or 3 times a day, 5 or 6 days a week. Does this make sense to anyone? So after doing some research on the Internet and finding a treatment article for what I have self-diagnosed myself with, my problem seems to be responding for the cost of a $2 tennis ball! I sit on the floor, putting the tennis ball under the afflicted buttock, and then shift my weight onto it so it digs in and massages the inflamed area of my hamstrings and piriformis muscles. Believe me -- I can feel it! But it is giving me some good results, if only that it feels good when I stop Wink. The idea is that this helps to break down scar tissue from whatever has been torn or injured. Without this treatment, the scar tissue is going to prevent the muscle from stretching properly, so whenever you start using it again, it pulls the scar tissue and causes a re-injury. The combination of massage and stretching should help get things back to their proper condition while healing. So getting some outside treatment or self-treatment is definitely a good idea.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"