Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.11.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice racing yesterday Mike (despite the race organization issues), Tammy (congrats on 1st place, AG!), and coach David. There sure are some speedy feet on this forum!

Great grandkid fun, TW and Tet. Those special relationships with the GCs are, well, very special!

Looks like we got everything from basement cleaning, snow shoeing, power outages and the Partridge Family to even some running yesterday! What a lively, active group!

Our racewalking training session went well yesterday morning. We had a nice mix of experienced walkers and newbies, so I could spend most of my time with the newbies and just keep a light eye on the others. Good session, except that I spent more time talking than walking, and only got in another 3/4 mile or so on top of my earlier workout.

Remember that Town Budget Committee that I love so much? With the encouragement of one of our Town's Selectmen, we quickly fashioned a warrant article to reduce the size of the Bud Com. If we can get 25 voters to sign the warrant article petition before Tuesday afternoon, it will go on this year's Town Meeting ballot. A resident's name has to be a part of all petition warrant articles, and we were able to get someone else to attach their name to this one: I'm already in enough trouble with the Bud Com without having my name on a warrant article that would reduce their size!

8.3 RW miles at the usual time this morning. It was a refreshing 12F (WC at 0), and there was a nice half moon still sitting high in the sky. I was planning on going a few miles longer, but I had to get back to take DW's yogurt out of the yogurt maker and into the fridge. As it was, despite working hard in the last few miles, my hands were starting to get uncomfortably cold (but not quite as bad as Slo's yesterday), so cutting the workout short was OK.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Homemade yogurt? Yum! Way to brave the cold temps this morning.

Nice racing by lots of you folks yesterday! How cool that David is training his mom and she's showing results already.

I love talking to my 5 year-old grandson on the phone Tet. You never know where the conversation will go. The other day he had to tell me he was "chasing chocolate monsters" in their basement

It was a balmy 21° here this morning. Hasn't been this warm in over a week. I tweaked my back a little yesterday moving some boxes around and decided I didn't want to risk slipping on snow and ice. To the Y for 40 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. The place was packed this morning - I suspect with folks trying to get a workout in before the football game starts at noon.

No upsets in any of the games last night. Hoping it stays that way today. Go Packers!!

My mom died when my brother's kids were young, but those two kids were the light of her life.  She LOVED being a grandma more than anything in the world.

Homemade yogurt?? Do tell!!  I eat a LOT of yogurt and my favorite, Zoi Greek, just went up in price by almost a whole dollar in about a week's time. 

Rest day for me, which is good considering I didn't get to sleep until almost 2:00 a.m.  Don't have those types of nights very often, but they suck.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

I watched both games and enjoyed them. While the outcomes were fairly predictable, the Pats had a much more difficult time, coming down to the very last play.  Playoffs are so much fun.

Went to the lake alone this morning as the Saint wanted to sleep in, and I ran only 6, and it was maybe the worst 6 I've ever run. No energy at all and every step a labor.  As I leave tomorrow on business I decided today not to pack running stuff and just not run at all. I know if I bring my gear I'll run, so this is a total rest week.  Let's see how that works.  Spareribs

Tramps

Tammy--1st AG!  Very cool.

Steve--loved your snowy pictures. It always looks so idyllic....until you have to shovel it.

Mike--if you have contact with that club, you might suggest an "after action" report.  Write up what worked and didn't and leave it for next year's crew.

Jay--I always enjoy (and often learn from) your reports on local public service efforts.

Leslie--Somewhere in the archives Trent has a great post on how to make yogurt at home, no yogurt maker needed.  It sounded simple and--I swear--one day I'm going to try.  That stuff is pricey and when I get into my yogurt/fruit smoothie groove, we use a lot of it.

Upper teens when I left for a trail run but the sun warmed things up quickly to the low 30s.  Very comfortable 10-mile trail run.

Helluva Pats win yesterday. Enjoyed that one.  Off to root for the Packers.

Be safe. Be kind.

Nice racing yesterday MikeE and Tammy. I am training for a 2 Mile walk/run at our Winterfest celebration in a couple of weeks.. There will be many people participating in the "Deep Freeze Dip" later in the day. Jumping into a hole in a frozen lake does not sound like fun even though it does raise funds for a good cause. Who dreams up these things anyway, someone from Texas?

Two of my grandsons share the same birthday. Jackhenry turned 6 and Brody is 4. We opted to not take part in the chaotic parties 3 hours away) but watched them open our gifts via FaceTime. We'll head up there for a more low-key weekend.

We are rooting for Dallas, just cannot fathom cheering for the Packers, sorry JLynne!

I plan to get out for a walk/run later today. The foot is feeling better and better. I am going to check out some of the yoga classes at the Y this week now that I can bend my big toe.  In December I had cortisone shots in my hips for bursitis and have been doing exercises for that faithfully, hope it helps. Glad your hip issues are getting Bette, Dave.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

tomw, how neat to have a private viewing of Willy Wonka with Claire.  Mike, nice 2.87 mile 5K.  Tammy, great going on the 1st AG in your 5K.  Kudos to your coach, too.

Nice long runs for heme, CNY, wild, evan, and fatozzig.

This morning, it was in the mid to high teens with some wind.  For the only time this past week I went outside.  My Yaks and I got in 5 miles at an 11:37 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We are rooting for Dallas, just cannot fathom cheering for the Packers, sorry JLynne!

Glad your hip issues are getting Bette, Dave.

Jeez--you live in Minnesota or something?    Now that my Pats squeezed out a win, I can watch with no particular rooting interest.  Well, other than hoping the 'Boys lose.  Bette Davis posts here now?

Out for 6.1 miles this morning.  17 at the start and 23 at the end.  Hasn't warmed up much since then.

Nice racing Tammy--imagine how you'll do once the training really starts to sink in.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...thanks guys//.....the Umpa-Loompa Songs were TOTALLY worth it.....

I reciprocated with ''Mippets Most Wanted''..............and a GoodTime was had by all.......

Claire says hi to ''Adventurer Doggie''

=========

..30's here

....50-min bike ride due to pending MuppetMovie

7-up and 4-down

leg (couldn't actually Walk last week) and back still bugging me,

but

bracing helps

.............No Whine here, Just Facts......

.............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

5 miles in the sun this morning as the temp zoomed up to 20- almost tropical. Watched the beginning of the game before we headed up to a trad jazz concert. We've become Packers fans since we ran GB 2 years ago. Would love to see them play the Pats in the Super Bowl.

14 miles with running club that I recently joined. Avg 7:30/mi, which felt pretty brisk. We started and finished at Boulder Reservoir and ran on backroads, mostly off pavement (maybe 4 miles of paved road, the rest dirt). Amazing to see the number of runners and training groups. Ours started out with about 50, including some national class and sub-elite runners. Along the way we saw at three or four other groups of a dozen or more runners.

evanflein

Wow Trackrat.... 7:30 is my interval pace if I'm lucky! I can hold that for a 5k but certainly not 14 miles. Well done!

DH and I are still languishing around the house. We've gotten so lazy on the weekends it's ridiculous. Gotta get up and out there though. It's another day in the low 20's and can't let that go to waste!

King of PhotoShop

So I didn't have to give jlynne those points after all!  Congratulations to the Green Bay Packers and all their fans.  Now it's off to Seattle for what looks like an exciting final match for the NFC. Let's hope Rodgers' calf heals up. He played superbly despite it.

As for the Cowboys, for a team that was picked to be 8-8 again, I thought they did a great job this season, and it was a fun ride. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - have I told you lately how awesome I think you are? 

DD had me running today, off to get her a haircut, then to Sally's Beauty, then Target, then secretly to a giant empty parking lot at the edge of town to let her drive in small circles (shhhh), then to the grocery to stock up (my parent obligation to feed 27 people dinner before the basketball game is Tuesday), then now she has me working to Ombre her hair.  If you don't know what that is, Google it, and since I have never tried anything like this before, wish me luck....

16 miles for me this morning in 19-21 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I had to Google it - good luck with DD's hair!  And nice run in the cold!

Trackrat, that's a speedy running club you've joined!  One of the reasons I don't do many group runs is that I can't keep up.

I did a slow 11.5 miles today, in screw shoes.  It was about 32F, but felt colder.  At least I finally caught the pace bunny, and hit 50 miles for the week.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.